Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:Is Lenny Bruce's picture all that well-known? I sure didn't know it.

FJ took me about 20 seconds or so, but I did come up with FTARH.
Didn't get Bruce, Thatcher was a bit of a guess. FJ was fairly quick for me, did not know Cage was in the movie, which part did he play? Penn was Spicolli, Whittaker was the football player.

That's because he was billed under his birth name, Nicolas Coppola.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

davey wrote:
econgator wrote:Is Lenny Bruce's picture all that well-known? I sure didn't know it.
I'd say most people who know who Lenny Bruce was, know what he looked like...
Bamaman wrote:
Didn't get Bruce, Thatcher was a bit of a guess. FJ was fairly quick for me, did not know Cage was in the movie, which part did he play? Penn was Spicolli, Whittaker was the football player.
The IMDb cast list doesn't give Cage a name - he's "Brad's Bud." I don't remember him myself...
This was a heartbreaking FJ, since I love that movie...but I couldn't think of who the actors would be, and the only teen comedy I could think of in 30 seconds was Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

FBDO didn't come out until 1986.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A college friend had a tape of that movie. We watched it a bunch and would make fun of it as it went along.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Or that Zooey Deschanel painted her… um… I'll be in my bunk.
Painted fingernails (if I remember the clue right) get you in your bunk??
No, silly. Zooey does.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

soxfan99 wrote:"What is Borat?"
"Be more specific"
"Umm.... [beep beep]"
"Ohhh sorry, we were looking for 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan'"

I first saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High as a sophomore in my film analysis class in high school. It got kind of weird watching it in a classroom with my English teacher. Great film, though.
A BMS on Borat would never happen, but just hearing Alex give the full title would have been great.

I first saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High as an underclassman in college. The second time I saw it was as an underclassman in college. The third time I saw it was as an underclassman in college. Three theater viewings plus at least a dozen more home viewings over the years had the FJ clue as unmissable. The clue wasn't tough enough if so many of you only got it by the year or movie type.

Here is what Cage looked like in the movie:

For the Thatcher clue I lost the money by trying to couple her with Jackie Mason. Collecting on the Farnsworth stumper was easier.

Jon only bet 1500 on his DD to end up far short of breaking the lock by Anna-Lise. Bye bye.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Collecting on the Farnsworth stumper was easier.
Ah, yes, I remember I got that one merely by remembering they named the professor on Futurama (Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth) after the "inventor of television" (granted, ol' Philo doesn't have as clear (or as famous) a claim to inventing the television as Bell does for inventing the phone (and we won't even get into how so not clear his claim is))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Just "1982 teen comedy" was enough to get me to Fast Times, and though I was only able to make the Sean Penn/2003 connection, I felt pretty confident about it since I knew he wasn't the only up-and-comer in that movie.

I feel a small connection to it, thanks to this Straight Dope thread from my original run.

Two days in a row with a lock and a sole get by second place.

edit re Farnsworth: I got him, although I got another "father of television," John Logie Baird, on the tip of my tongue first (not fun to have a Logie on the tip of one's tongue), and had to get him out of my way by reminding myself he was British. (I know both names from Ira Flatow's book They All Laughed..., which is about strange stories behind some famous inventions. It was thanks to that book that I knew the "What insect was the first computer bug" $1M question on Millionaire.)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:According to recent pictures I've seen, time has been very kind to her, it's almost like she never left 1982 (in fact better so, as I remember Cates never did much for me in that movie (Jennifer Jason Leigh all the way for me (no pun intended)).
Jennifer Jason Leigh, of the "best t**s in the Western World!" (Oh, I guess that was another movie, from the "other end of the 80s") JJL has also aged pretty well herself, actually.

This seems like the kind of FJ! that would have one or more of the "contestants in waiting" in the audience screaming silently, wishing that that FJ! clue had come up for one of their episodes
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Collecting on the Farnsworth stumper was easier.
Ah, yes, I remember I got that one merely by remembering they named the professor on Futurama (Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth) after the "inventor of television" (granted, ol' Philo doesn't have as clear (or as famous) a claim to inventing the television as Bell does for inventing the phone (and we won't even get into how so not clear his claim is))
I got it from Warehouse 13 -- the device they use to communicate with one another is the Farnsworth.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Turd Ferguson wrote: Jennifer Jason Leigh, of the "best t**s in the Western World!" (Oh, I guess that was another movie, from the "other end of the 80s") JJL has also aged pretty well herself, actually.
Oops, I misspelled Connelly in the PM I sent you. ;)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

StevenH wrote:This was another schizophrenic board. There were a lot of clues that were overvalued or undervalued or had no helpful information at all. I should have been able to recognize Lenny Bruce, but expecting the contestants to identify Margaret Thatcher and Lenny Bruce from their pictures in the same clue because they have the same birthday is like the most random thing ever. I couldn't tell if the two individuals in those pictures were supposed to have some kind of connection besides their birthdays.
I barely came up with Margaret Thatcher, despite never having seen a picture of her looking so young and non-Margaret Thatcher-ish.
Didn't recognize Bruce (I know of him by reputation, and because of his rep, I've never committed his face to memory). I thought he resembled a young Danny Thomas!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: Jennifer Jason Leigh, of the "best t**s in the Western World!" (Oh, I guess that was another movie, from the "other end of the 80s") JJL has also aged pretty well herself, actually.
Oops, I misspelled Connelly in the PM I sent you. ;)
Ha, nice.

I saw "Last Exit To Brooklyn" a couple decades ago, so my memory is a bit shaky, but "best..." is a line from that film that is said as an "advertisement" (I think by JJL's character herself?), and an already "dark" movie turns even moreso shortly after that. Taking the line randomly out of context as I did sort of does a disservice to the film, but I didn't particularly enjoy the film, so I'm fine with that.
earendel

Post by earendel »

I didn't recognize Lenny Bruce's picture, either, although I've heard of (and heard) him. I did recognize Thatcher but couldn't figure out if there was supposed to be some sort of connection - I thought maybe the other person was a British comedian.

I had no clue on FJ! even though I did figure out who two of the Oscar winners (Penn and Whittaker) were. I didn't know they had been a movie together - count me among the few who were never interested in any of the teen comedies of the 80s (or afterward).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FJ took me about 20 seconds or so, but I did come up with FTARH.
I didn't recognize Lenny Bruce's picture. I thought it was a young Rodney Dangerfield.

I got FJ primarily because of the Oscar reference (Sean Penn, who I always thing of in his Cali-stoner role from that movie); the late Mrs. Spiff also graduated from Ridgemont High (not that one!), so that was a source of many jokes. I also recalled hearing somewhere recently that the 30th anniversary of the film was coming up, so maybe it was in the forefront of the brain.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The technical guy in UHF was named Philo.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Sigh. My DVR had the closing moments of Wheel, ads, dark screen for about as long as pre-interview round one, ads, dark screen for rest of round one, ads, and... hey! There's Margaret! Was there an immediately corrected error from her 4th game? Oh. WTEN is reairing Tuesday's Double J round. Oops.

So, called WTEN and they had no idea when/if they'll be airing it. Anywhere I can see it online?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

While I admire Tim for learning Hebrew, the pronunciation ... not so hot.

Fast Times just isn't on my radar at all. No chance on that one. I looked up Phoebe Cates to see if I recognized her. All I will say is that in the later pictures, she seems a lot more, uh, bountiful.

Well, I somehow recognized both Lenny Bruce and Margaret Thatcher, so that must count for something. And yes, Margaret, of course we do miss you.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm the weirdo who recognized Lenny Bruce and not Margaret Thatcher. The word "politician" in the clue somehow threw me off, and with the picture, it led me to attempt thinking of American female politicians from the 1970s -- the closest I could get to that was Betty Ford.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:By the by, what ate up so much time? The first break came after only 11 clues, and both rounds were LTaM with 7 clues to go. I haven't seen them break that early in regular play since the Ken Jennings episodes.
I didn't see the show last night (summer and TV viewing for me are like oil and water), but I have a theory on early first round breaks. It is that if the contestants are picking in the category where the daily double is, they break to keep people around for the DD. Just anecdotal evidence on my part.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alamble

Post by alamble »

alietr wrote:While I admire Tim for learning Hebrew, the pronunciation ... not so hot.

Fast Times just isn't on my radar at all. No chance on that one. I looked up Phoebe Cates to see if I recognized her. All I will say is that in the later pictures, she seems a lot more, uh, bountiful.
Well, she has given birth to a couple of children since the early 80s. (she's married to Kevin Kline)