Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:You asked 'what lead you to NH?' I answered 'Knowing U.S. History.'
No I didn't. I asked what LED me to NH.
Knowing it took place in NH.

Seriously. You might as well ask "How do you know water is two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule?" "I JUST KNOW!"
I was pointing out your grammar fail. You should've said "what led", not "what lead".

====

And in all honesty, I know I took US History. I know we covered lots of things. Transcontinental Railroad. Louisiana Purchase. Prohibition. Gadsden Purchase. California gold rush. Civil rights. <Dave Barry>THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF.</DB> But I do not remember ever going into detail on any of the wars. I know we at least talked about Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam, but all I remember is just "We fought this war, next subject". No names of important battles. No other wars at all.

And this was before I took that dreadful Civil War class in which I would read the same passage 15 times, take a bunch of notes, then go "where the hell was THAT in the book?!" an average of six times on every test. (Likewise in HS Government class.) That Civil War class may be why my eyes just gloss over every time I try to look at war-related facts of any kind.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

You could also have guessed it based on geography. Kittery is the southernmost place in Maine, just over the state line from Portsmouth.

I didn't guess correctly, btw - WAG'd New Orleans for some reason.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

My AP US History teacher in high school was also my gym teacher. I don't think we even covered Teddy Roosevelt, period, let alone his involvement in brokering international peace deals. Yay for cash-strapped public schools!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

mswanson wrote:My AP US History teacher in high school was also my gym teacher.
As Vanya pointed out, History = War.

Also, as anyone who was there knows, Gym = War.

Therefore, History = Gym. Q.E.D.

Rex
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Actually I picked up more on the Russo-Japanese War from World History. Port Arthur? Tsushima Straits? Admiral Rozshentventsky (spelling?)

I agree it's a tougher than a normal FJ by a good bit, but I also don't think any Capital Letters Event in a high school history textbook can be considered too crazy obscure.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Volante wrote:
Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
alietr wrote:<Whew> Glad to see you're still around, Swift's!
Were you afraid I'd gone somewhere?
Well, with a name like Lannister, your life expectancy falls somewhere between those of a mayfly and a fruit fly.
No no, Tyrion is far too interesting a character, no self-respecting writer would kill him off. Now, old boring Ned...
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Rex Kramer wrote:
mswanson wrote:My AP US History teacher in high school was also my gym teacher.
As Vanya pointed out, History = War.

Also, as anyone who was there knows, Gym = War.

Therefore, History = Gym. Q.E.D.

Rex
Also, war is hell, so
Gym = Hell
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I fear for my (eventual?) children, as they'll be learning about "The Role of Unmarried Women in Home-Based Craft Industries during the European Colonization Period of the Region Colloquially Associated with the 'Wild West'" in their history textbooks, when we really know that all the good stuff is WAR, WAR, WAR!!!
Last edited by Austin Powers on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

billy pilgrim wrote: By this reasoning they should also accept 'Who are 3 persons who have never been in my kitchen?" It's not incorrect, just not what the writers were going for.
By biggest problem with accepting that California answer is that, come on, she didn't know that. Mammoth Cave, California? Wikipedia says its post office closed in 1887. Don't reward people just throwing out a crap guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was a know it or not FJ. I'm not a big fan of those, especially when I don't know it, but that's my problem for not knowing it. All I know about that war is that is was between Russia and Japan and TR settled the peace and got the Nobel Peace Prize for it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Finally played off the Archive (since the broadcast just had a test pattern for the video, sound was normal) after an unfruitful search to find video of the game to play off (which I prefer - I had no wrong answers this game (but several clams), I'm thinking that might be due to playing off Archive, scores might be better that way, who knows.)
seaborgium wrote:Well, I could tell by the year that the treaty in question ended the Russo-Japanese War, but I didn't know where to go from there. Said Boston just because Maine was once part of Massachusetts. "Treaty of Portsmouth" has a familiar ring to it.
Volante wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Suggested poll question...I knew what war Tuesday's clue was about, but did not know the name of the town.
Count me in for that. 1905, treaty, Russo-Japan. ...but where the smegging frak did they do the treaty?!

Ended up going with Concord, but as soon as I saw Portsmouth I knew I was wrong.
Both of these were similar thought processes for me - knew they were referring to the Russo-Japanese war, but that's it, had no idea where it was signed. For some reason, I didn't suspect that the right clue had to be a town *near* Maine, I guessed San Fran (because it was the only town I could think of at the time with a peace treaty named after it (well, that and Dayton, but that was way too late) that came to mind in 30 seconds.
trainman wrote:
Vanya wrote:Tho I never have liked Chevy Chase.
Well, neither does anyone who works on "Community."
alamble wrote:
davey wrote: I'm not sure that's true, it's the executive producer he feuded with who got fired, after all...
As anyone who follows sports closely can tell you, it is much, MUCH easier to fire the manager (in this case, Dan Harmon) than it is to get rid of a problem child player (Chevy).
So Charlie Sheen is the exception to the rule?

Ran flags, but, interestingly, wasn't sure about the Iceland one, as I was playing off the Archive and I didn't see any pictures (so had to guess at all by the words) - this was actually the first time I'd heard about the red being for volcanoes. (Held off on answering until I actually saw the flag if I ever got to see the video - since the thread mentioned the answer (yes, I was spoiled, but I went in knowing full well I might be spoiled on a video clue that I couldn't see) I'm counting it as a get, since Iceland was my best guess to that point.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
earendel

Post by earendel »

mswanson wrote:My AP US History teacher in high school was also my gym teacher. I don't think we even covered Teddy Roosevelt, period, let alone his involvement in brokering international peace deals. Yay for cash-strapped public schools!
My "teacher" for high school U.S. history was a television set - an auditorium full of students with lights dimmed watching strategically placed television sets on which a teacher lectured on the subject. The auditorium aisles were patrolled by the gym teacher, the football coach and one or two others. It's amazing that I learned anything at all - but then again I did a lot of supplemental reading (which got me into trouble in that class).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Ran flags, but, interestingly, wasn't sure about the Iceland one, as I was playing off the Archive and I didn't see any pictures (so had to guess at all by the words) - this was actually the first time I'd heard about the red being for volcanoes. (Held off on answering until I actually saw the flag if I ever got to see the video - since the thread mentioned the answer (yes, I was spoiled, but I went in knowing full well I might be spoiled on a video clue that I couldn't see) I'm counting it as a get, since Iceland was my best guess to that point.)
I'm certain you would've easily gotten it from the picture: three color Nordic cross + volcanoes in the clue.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

congrats to margaret on her run. this ends another run, alluded to by somebody in some thread recently, of 12 straight games won by boardies (CAPS LOCK x2, gloriaclemente x2, Swift'sSecondCourse x5, mswanson x3). i think that's the longest non-tournament run we've had in jboard history, but i've only been around since the start of season 28, so i'm not exactly positive about this.

FJ was the kind of clue that i like, since it rewarded good solid academic knowledge of stuff. it did seem more like a regular clue than a FJ, but hey. anyway, there were lots of ways of me knowing this: just knowing world history (and the names of wars & treaties in particular), living in new england and driving through both portsmouth and kittery several times a year, and the additional fact that portsmouth was mentioned in a ken jennings tuesday trivia quiz only a couple weeks ago (the question was which US state has only 13 miles of coastline).

i generally consider pop culture in general, and TV in particular, to be a deadly subject for me, so i was pretty surprised to know 5/5 in sitcom episodes. yay for me. i don't keep track of stuff like this, but this may have been my highest-scoring board ever; my only miss was the "assembly" clue in sculpture. austin powers probably does as well or better every episode, but it kind of stuck out for me.