Happy Anniversary to Us!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Post by alietr »

Well, JBoard has now made it through its first year. The first daily thread was for the June 30 show. When I started it, I really didn't know if it would gain any traction or not. But I'm happy to say (and see) that it has grown, caught on, and thrived over the course of the past year with minimal bumps along the way. A lot of the people from the old board have joined us, as well as a lot of the newer players and people just plain interested in Jeopardy! Thanks to all of you Boardies, and I hope everyone finds their stays here to be enjoyable and that they learn something in the process. Happy Anniversary, JBoard!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Happy Anniversary to Us!

Post by dhkendall »

Most importantly, it seems to have acquired the cachet of the old Sony board (in the fact that it's being referenced outside, and TPTB seems to be aware of us and are most likely lurking like they were on Sony (hi, guys!) This tells me that it's not the official sanction of Sony that made the old board great, but the people, pure and simple.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Wow! I can't believe it's been (exactly) a whole year!

Brian

Let's see if anybody sees what I did there...
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Oh, and by the way,

Happy Canada Day too!!!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Thank you to all the people who do the work to keep it running.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

I haven't been here for too long, but I remember years ago when I was doing nothing in my high school Electronics class that I would lurk on the old Jeopardy board - with all their detailed game recaps, etc. While I do miss those days, I'm happy that there are still people just as passionate about Jeopardy as before - so thanks for making this community so enjoyable to be a part of. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:Most importantly, it seems to have acquired the cachet of the old Sony board (in the fact that it's being referenced outside, and TPTB seems to be aware of us and are most likely lurking like they were on Sony (hi, guys!) This tells me that it's not the official sanction of Sony that made the old board great, but the people, pure and simple.

The only downside to us being the black market board is that some people may go to the Sony board, wanting to talk about the show, and then give up on the idea after seeing what a joke it is.

However, we have gotten a number of players and new posters here, so we are being found by the newbies. We seem to have lost a couple old timers (gnrq, DHichton), but it may be their decision not to post.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Bamaman wrote:The only downside to us being the black market board is that some people may go to the Sony board, wanting to talk about the show, and then give up on the idea after seeing what a joke it is.

However, we have gotten a number of players and new posters here, so we are being found by the newbies. We seem to have lost a couple old timers (gnrq, DHichton), but it may be their decision not to post.
It helps that currently, when you Google "Jeopardy message board" with or without quotes, this site ranks above the Sony site in the results.

Happy Anniversary, JBoarders, and thanks to those who work to make it great.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Happy Anniversary, JBoarders, and thanks to those who work to make it great.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:Most importantly, it seems to have acquired the cachet of the old Sony board (in the fact that it's being referenced outside, and TPTB seems to be aware of us and are most likely lurking like they were on Sony (hi, guys!) This tells me that it's not the official sanction of Sony that made the old board great, but the people, pure and simple.
Yes, thanks to the site admins and J! Boarders of the Month who keep the electrons flowing and to the posters who keep the conversation going. The discourse has been almost universally civil and interesting and I appreciate that.

The top 25 posters over the year have been:
Posts Username
1295 dhkendall 
1047 Volante 
1022 bpmod 
1005 Bamaman 
1001 econgator 
999 alietr 
925 Paucle 
899 jeff6286 
815 seaborgium 
815 TenPoundHammer 
685 Vanya 
670 MarkBarrett 
467 Woof 
462 Archivists 
433 opusthepenguin 
403 John Boy 
400 Austin Powers 
390 heelsrule1988 
382 xxaaaxx 
373 barandall800 
344 Rex Kramer 
340 Magna 
337 legendneverdies 
318 alamble 
306 StevenH 

Three boardies spinning the odometer right around the anniversary. What's up with that?
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:The top 25 posters over the year have been:
Posts Username
1295 dhkendall 
Keep in mind, the signal:noise ratio is very high here. In terms of *quality* posts, those below me deserve the prize.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OrangeSAM wrote:Yes, thanks to the site admins and J! Boarders of the Month who keep the electrons flowing and to the posters who keep the conversation going. The discourse has been almost universally civil and interesting and I appreciate that.

The top 25 posters over the year have been:
Posts Username
1295 dhkendall 
1047 Volante 
1022 bpmod

Three boardies spinning the odometer right around the anniversary. What's up with that?
Oh, no! I've fallen to third place behind Volante. Time to get the bpmodometer rolling.

Brian

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

306 is 25th, somehow I expected the 25th most wouldn't be below 500..
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Bamaman wrote:

The only downside to us being the black market board is that some people may go to the Sony board, wanting to talk about the show, and then give up on the idea after seeing what a joke it is.

It's quality, not quantity that matters. Congrats to the mods and let's enjoy another great year.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:306 is 25th, somehow I expected the 25th most wouldn't be below 500..
Those 25 totaled 16,133 posts. That's almost 49 percent of the yearly total. 27 people account for half of the postings on this board.
OCSam
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:306 is 25th, somehow I expected the 25th most wouldn't be below 500..
Those 25 totaled 16,133 posts. That's almost 49 percent of the yearly total. 27 people account for half of the postings on this board.
I just hit 900, and speaking on behalf of the 25 of us atop that list, we'll try to shut up a little more often in the year ahead. (Okay, probably not really. I do enjoy the sound of my own voice...as long as it's on a computer screen, that is. In real life, I hate the sound of my own voice. I don't know how anyone manages to listen to me for any length of time without punching me in the face.)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

jeff6286 wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
I just hit 900, and speaking on behalf of the 25 of us atop that list, we'll try to shut up a little more often in the year ahead. (Okay, probably not really. I do enjoy the sound of my own voice...as long as it's on a computer screen, that is. In real life, I hate the sound of my own voice. I don't know how anyone manages to listen to me for any length of time without punching me in the face.)
I just feel like there's less to comment on. :) You guys have the experience, its more fun to read the experience really.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I just hit 900, and speaking on behalf of the 25 of us atop that list, we'll try to shut up a little more often in the year ahead. (Okay, probably not really. I do enjoy the sound of my own voice...as long as it's on a computer screen, that is. In real life, I hate the sound of my own voice. I don't know how anyone manages to listen to me for any length of time without punching me in the face.)
I just feel like there's less to comment on. :) You guys have the experience, its more fun to read the experience really.
I find that when I think I have something to add, someone's already said it. Part of that is from watching J! on the West Coast and part is due to the broad and diverse knowledge base of my fellow boardies.

I lurked for a couple of months on the Sony board just waiting for my chance to add an original thought.
OCSam
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm surprised to see myself up that high on the list since I rarely comment on the games, but I suppose my loquacious manner will out. And many thanks to Andy for taking the initiative to get this board up and running. Where we would we be now without that gesture? (on a side note, when I look in at the Sony board I begin to wonder how long I would have lasted had the switch not been forced upon us)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think if this place never started, we'd have found our way back to the new Sony board. We'd have had to deal with the one and done posters when they came.