Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and [Jerry Seinfeld]what is it about[/Jerry Seinfeld] the soap opera history category taht made the people completely forget their history. I'd make it a true Daily Double that if those clues were presented in a more "regular" format, that they'd all be gettable (or at least quicker on the get)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

dhkendall wrote:
While Churchill came quickly to me, I briefly thought about putting down the person who was the author of the *actual* Third Reich (hey, he *was* a painter, after all!)
The Nobel Prize part of the clue kinda eliminated him.....
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:Nobel Prize Winners
Among the many books he wrote were "The World Crisis", "The Second World War" & "Painting as a Pastime".
Spoiler
Who is Winston Churchill. Anna-Lise had no guess; Jia-Rui said [Gunter] Grass; Matt said Henry Kissinger.

Matt Samberg: $24,400-$3,000=$21,400...now a 1-day champion with $21,400
Jia-Rui Cook: $10,600-$6,000=$4,600
Anna-Lise Santella: $3,200-$3,199=$1
I meant to say this earlier, but a bad bet by Jia-Rui. She is locked out of first, but has a lock for second place. Her MSB was $4,199 to assure her of coming in second, yet she risked an extra thousand dollars for no reason at all. If you are going to bet that big, you might as well bet it all in case the leader makes a "tie if wrong bet" or is just bad at math.

As for FJ, if you did not know Churchill painted or won the Nobel Prize, you are pretty much screwed. I actually learned he had won from a clue on the show years ago that asked what he won his prize in. I guessed Peace at the time, but have retained that factoid ever since and it finally paid off.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

harrumph wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
While Churchill came quickly to me, I briefly thought about putting down the person who was the author of the *actual* Third Reich (hey, he *was* a painter, after all!)
The Nobel Prize part of the clue kinda eliminated him.....
Among other things, yeah. :) (Although it's not like they've not awarded it to undeserveds before). Also wasn't sure if Churchill was a Nobel winner or not, adding to the uncertainty of putting his name down.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Judy5cents wrote:Today on NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," the triple stumper of Cincinnati's nick name of Porkopolis popped up in the "Not My Job" segment. Just one of those "I just heard that on Jeopardy! yesterdat" moments. Drew Carey knew it. And I did too, but I grew up there.
I had never heard of it being called Porkopolis, but just the night before I was on its Wiki page to check out a few things and saw the Losantiville name (which means, not that anyone cares, "city opposite the mouth of the Licking River -- "L" for Licking River, "os" for mouth, "anti" for opposite).
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

To eel and back

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

chip wrote:I think "Tampa Rays" is acceptable since "Rays" (and probably every other team nickname) would have been taken by itself.

Sure, just as Alex would have accepted Boston Sox for Fenway Park.
Nooo..."Red" is an essential part of the Boston team's name, but "Devil" has been dropped from Tampa's. This is an argument that can go either way: the only reason they're called the Tampa Bay Rays is to make St Petersburg and all the adjacent smaller communities part of the team's location, since they all, along with Tampa, sit on the shores of Tampa Bay (if the body of water had been called "St. Petersburg Bay," then they'd be the "St Petersburg Rays -- though I think the "St Pete Eels" is catchier).

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:Didn't get FJ (in fact I had a lot of negs this game), got stuck trying to think of the The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich author.
And I suppose that, during the German occupation of Norway, our boy, Quisling, might have tried to arrange a Nobel Peace Prize for for der Führer (though the prize is presented in Oslo, the actual Nobel committee's in Stockholm. Even the generally pro-German sympathies of the officially neutral Swedes probably couldnn't have swung that).
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
The fact that Churchill was a painter was new to me.
I think the painter part was marginal as a TOM. I'm sure many politicians and statesmen have painted - only one has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which the list of books pointed to. His history/memoir of the Second World War is undoubtedly the reason he won the Nobel - the first of 6 volumes was even made into an HBO movie a few years ago. I'm not sure he got a story credit, but they used his title - "The Gathering Storm"...(His other monumental work - A History of the English-speaking Peoples - wasn't published until after he won the prize.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I think the painter part was marginal as a TOM. I'm sure many politicians and statesmen have painted - only one has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which the list of books pointed to. His history/memoir of the Second World War is undoubtedly the reason he won the Nobel - the first of 6 volumes was even made into an HBO movie a few years ago. I'm not sure he got a story credit, but they used his title - "The Gathering Storm"...(His other monumental work - A History of the English-speaking Peoples - wasn't published until after he won the prize.)
I said that because a lot of you seem to have gotten it from "painter". I wouldn't have gotten it from… well, anything, since I was honestly expecting it to be someone far, FAR more obscure.

Same thing as always. I go into FJ! expecting to have something thrown at me that I've never heard of, and the right answer ends up being something I've known since 5th grade.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
davey wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I said that because a lot of you seem to have gotten it from "painter". I wouldn't have gotten it from… well, anything, since I was honestly expecting it to be someone far, FAR more obscure.

Same thing as always. I go into FJ! expecting to have something thrown at me that I've never heard of, and the right answer ends up being something I've known since 5th grade.
Well, I got it from 'Second World War' and figuring that because they were referencing books, it was a Lit. winner, and Churchill won Lit for his histories.

But here's my question: Have you known Winston Churchill since the 5th grade or have you known Winston Churchill was a Nobel Prize winner since the 5th grade? (Yes, I'm guessing "5th grade" is hyperbole, but just run with it.)

Because if you didn't know Churchill won the Nobel, I can't imagine how anyone could have deduced it's him from what was given. (Unless you somehow knew he wrote those three books and DIDN'T know he was a laureate...in which case: Bra-vo.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:But here's my question: Have you known Winston Churchill since the 5th grade or have you known Winston Churchill was a Nobel Prize winner since the 5th grade? (Yes, I'm guessing "5th grade" is hyperbole, but just run with it.)
The former.
Volante wrote:Because if you didn't know Churchill won the Nobel,
Which I didn't.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:Because if you didn't know Churchill won the Nobel, I can't imagine how anyone could have deduced it's him from what was given. (Unless you somehow knew he wrote those three books and DIDN'T know he was a laureate...in which case: Bra-vo.)
I didn't know he won the Nobel (I did know he was an author, though, but not the specifics of his books, though WWII books sounded reasonable), nor did I know he was a painter. But I figured those sounded plausible for him, so I guessed him.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote:Because if you didn't know Churchill won the Nobel, I can't imagine how anyone could have deduced it's him from what was given. (Unless you somehow knew he wrote those three books and DIDN'T know he was a laureate...in which case: Bra-vo.)
I didn't know he won the Nobel (I did know he was an author, though, but not the specifics of his books, though WWII books sounded reasonable), nor did I know he was a painter. But I figured those sounded plausible for him, so I guessed him.
WWII and Nobel seem to be the only hints in the clue. That alone leaves, what? About eleventy zillion people?

And you wonder why I never even guess most of the time…
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
WWII and Nobel seem to be the only hints in the clue. That alone leaves, what? About eleventy zillion people?

And you wonder why I never even guess most of the time…
And you wonder why we give up on you most of the time... Speaking of which, I guess it's time for me to go back into the hole... :|
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Had Churchill (though it was a wag on my part) and Quisling. Couldn't believe that Quisling was a top-row clue, really couldn't believe that it was a TS. Don't people learn about WW2 anymore? On the other hand, I had never heard of Jacqueline Cochran.

And Tampa Rays is just flat out WRONG.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tampa Rays is clearly wrong but did it affect the final outcome?

Someone above mentioned the Cabinet War Rooms museum in London. Definitely worth a visit. I went there my first time in that city. It didn't help me remember those key facts of Churchill's life...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Spooky that they air a clue on Justice Scalia the same day the court he thought was his votes to largely uphold the ACA. Not quite the Jeopardy! curse... unless it can apply to a large part of an atrophied soul.

I got both Quisling (with an assist from some misfiled comments earlier in the week, but I think I'd have gotten it anyway) and Churchill, but doubt anyone could have precalled the former at $200.

Yes, the team is called the Tampa Bay Rays, but there's no city of Tampa Bay, and the cat asked for baseball teams, not cities. How could they neg her when she had both the city's actual name and the current team name? Good thing they didn't ask about the Angels because I'm not sure what the hell they're called anymore.

Had I gotten that $1K clue in French Twist, the temptation for a YouTube moment may have been irresistible.
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:Yes, the team is called the Tampa Bay Rays, but there's no city of Tampa Bay, and the cat asked for baseball teams, not cities. How could they neg her when she had both the city's actual name and the current team name?

Simple -- it's not the name of the team! :P

If last year someone had responded with, "What are the Miami Marlins?", I bet you lots of money I don't have that they would have been negged.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

reddpen wrote:Spooky that they air a clue on Justice Scalia the same day the court he thought was his votes to largely uphold the ACA. Not quite the Jeopardy! curse... unless it can apply to a large part of an atrophied soul.

I got both Quisling (with an assist from some misfiled comments earlier in the week, but I think I'd have gotten it anyway) and Churchill, but doubt anyone could have precalled the former at $200.

Yes, the team is called the Tampa Bay Rays, but there's no city of Tampa Bay, and the cat asked for baseball teams, not cities. How could they neg her when she had both the city's actual name and the current team name? Good thing they didn't ask about the Angels because I'm not sure what the hell they're called anymore.

Had I gotten that $1K clue in French Twist, the temptation for a YouTube moment may have been irresistible.
Obnoxious political comments aside, Roberts upheld obamacare the day before. I'd say that Scalia has more soul at this point.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Johnblue wrote:
reddpen wrote:Spooky that they air a clue on Justice Scalia the same day the court he thought was his votes to largely uphold the ACA. Not quite the Jeopardy! curse... unless it can apply to a large part of an atrophied soul.

Obnoxious political comments aside, Roberts upheld obamacare the day before. I'd say that Scalia has more soul at this point.
Oh, I thought you said 'obnoxious political comments aside.'
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bomtr wrote:
Johnblue wrote:

Oh, I thought you said 'obnoxious political comments aside.'
Obviously, Clarence Thomas has more soul than Roberts and Scalia put together.