New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

This game is now in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1101

Thank you for the requests and I'll try to get at least one from each post I've seen so far as my collection allows. For the above game I made my best guess on the firm spellling for Con-Centration $1000. For "Check" Mate $400 I wasn't sure to go with one word, a hyphen or two words.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I found Dave Traini #1 and it must be the rerun airing since the newscaster immediately following the show mentions that Clare Booth Luce died that morning. She died on Thursday, October 9th, 1987. That seems to be a fact not in question. What does this do to the previous discussion about the airdate of Traini's games in the archive?

At the end of the game Alex did not say see you tomorrow or enjoy the weekend. Instead he left it up in the air with something about next time. I'll get this game in the archive after rounding up one of kingskip's requests.

When the DJ round starts it looks like this:

Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
At the end of the game Alex did not say see you tomorrow or enjoy the weekend. Instead he left it up in the air with something about next time. I'll get this game in the archive after rounding up one of kingskip's requests.

When the DJ round starts it looks like this:

That was his closing line he had throughout the first 2 seasons and throughout the first batch of regular Season 3 episodes, he still says "next time" as his closing line during the 2nd and 3rd batches of regular S3 episodes some percentage of the time, but after the 1986 TOC, the new camera angle for the contestant entrances were introduced for all the Tuesday and Thursday episodes of every week not only for the rest of the season but also for the rest of the set's run. They've already adjusted how the DJ! round's logo would appear every other day of the week in Season 3's starting point to make the viewing pleasures easier than earlier in the show's early run. In the episode with Anne/Carl Brady/John, the DJ! round's logo did appear in full-screen mode after the 2nd commercial break was over and Chuck Forrest's quarterfinal game was the show's 505th episode, and like all the other 1986 TOC episodes, this quarterfinal game had the updated 1987 summer-rerun fee plugs with the helvetica font appearing in the closing credits, that was first seen(at least in the 3rd season) in the inaugural Seniors Tournament(one of only 3 Seniors Tournaments rerun by GSN).
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

The old J! episode helpings used to be assisted by Jay Fisher(howierules), don't know if he can still assist me, but animfan, Robert K S and you Mark, Daniel, and rgfohio would also be our old J! episode helpers too. BTW, what Season # were the following contestants were actually on: Chub Feeney, Curtis Warren? You can Private Message me for those if you like.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Ivoryface86 wrote: BTW, what Season # were the following contestants were actually on: Chub Feeney, Curtis Warren?
Wikipedia says the 1985-86 season for CHub.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

BTW, the 1/19/1987 episode was a co-champions episode, but it also had a couple of notes. This episode had the announcement of the inaugural Teen Tournament that begins 3 weeks from this Game #, and was also the last Season 3 episode to be rerun on the weekend rotation before airing Day 5 of Issac Segal's run the following weekend(which was also the weekend that Now You See It was brought back to the weekend rotation for only a brief time). Hope this helps.
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is a challenger in the next game I will add to the archive. Before I list her occupation you have a chance to take a guess on her job. It's not necessary to make a post, but I just thought it would be an interesting exercise.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought I could ace you out because you can see her name on there, but it's a little too common to track down her occupation quickly. I was going to guess librarian or something commonplace like that, but since you're asking, it must be totally the opposite. So I'm going with ... Olympic athlete.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:I thought I could ace you out because you can see her name on there, but it's a little too common to track down her occupation quickly. I was going to guess librarian or something commonplace like that, but since you're asking, it must be totally the opposite. So I'm going with ... Olympic athlete.
I'll take the "film stunt driver" square then...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Wine taster.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Exotic dancer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Okay the game is in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3931

Ellen's occupation is:
Spoiler
librarian - always goes with your first instinct on J!
For Potent Potables $1000 did I spell the correct response the right way?
For Geography $800 does that look right for Ellen's correct response?

Adding one more: For Architecture $600 do I stick with the spelling I have or reverse the -er?

To all of you who get the Television for $400 clue I bow to your TV knowledge.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:Wine taster.

Brian
Ha, that's a picture of Ellen, not Rick the wine merchant.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Shouldn't the correct response in the $100 TV clue have been Jerry Seinfeld, since it answered for "his sitcom" and not "this sitcom". I'm guessing the contestant just said Seinfeld, which is obviously acceptable, but perhaps a parenthetical Jerry should be added.

I realize I'm being overly pedantic here and I'm not sure what the archive policy is when a contestant just gives a last name, do you just put that or add the unspoken first name as well?

A bad bet by Davia but she lucked out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I did get the first two in TV, at least. And the $100, sadly. I still don't get how "about nothing" was supposed to be a good thing for that show.

Sorry, guys, you'll never get me to convert. :mrgreen:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: A bad bet by Davia but she lucked out.
I wouldn't say that it was a straight-up bad bet, just an interesting one. If she really didn't feel confident in a bible category, then it's a pretty shrewd wager, although betting a dollar or two less would have been better. In that spot, second place is much better off wagering small and locking out third, since they likely need a miss by 1st to win anyway. So if the leader knows this and feels confident that second will bet small, then it makes sense not to make the shutout bet, but to try to make a wager that will drop you to a score higher than 2nd's on a triple stumper. In this case, they would have tied at $4,801 if they both missed. It is an intriguing scenario, and I don't seem to recall a similar one coming up any time recently. (1st and 2nd very close together, and 3rd has a bit less than 1/2 of both scores) Actually, it probably comes up fairly often, I probably just haven't really thought about it because it would be pretty rare for both 1st and 2nd to make a wager that on a miss, would drop them to a dollar more than 3rd's maximum score. Normally either 1st place will make the MSB, or 2nd will go all-in or nearly so. Often probably both.

Is it just me, or was that FJ in The New Testament ridiculously easy? It seems like that would poll at around 90% if it came up today. Anyone else agree?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I did get the first two in TV, at least. And the $100, sadly. I still don't get how "about nothing" was supposed to be a good thing for that show.

Sorry, guys, you'll never get me to convert. :mrgreen:
No one is trying to convert you. The only person who wishes for you to talk about Seinfeld every time it comes up is you. The same could probably be said for Family Guy, superheroes, and lord knows what else. :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn't get CPW, but the 1997 version of me might have.

FJ was an instaget for me. Did you get t, TPH?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:FJ was an instaget for me. Did you get t, TPH?
Yes.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote:
To all of you who get the Television for $400 clue I bow to your TV knowledge.

The show was currently running and/or recently cancelled at the time.