Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

can only help you with...
ID: isn't that pretty solidly Mormon too?
IN: does farm equipment require a license? Probably a huge % of 16 yr olds get theirs if so.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

jeff6286 wrote:
Taking just the driving age population, Indiana is still first by a wide margin, with 110.7% of its adult population being licensed drivers. Yes, 110%. There are 5 million people age 16 and over in Indiana, and 5.5 million licensed drivers. Is Indiana just terrible at paperwork and recordkeeping, or is there some explanation for this strange statistic? Maybe people who live in Chicago, Louisville, and/or Cincinnati for some reason get Indiana drivers licenses rather than ones issued from their home states? Maybe Indiana's licenses last for more years than most other states, so when people move out of the state they retain their Indiana license for several years? Checking a handful of states online, 4-6 years seems like the most common length of life for a drivers license, and Indiana fits that window, so that theory seems to be a miss. Does Indiana not have a way of removing the drivers licenses of deceased persons? There has to be a reason, doesn't there?

I'm sure there are perfectly logical explanations for at least some of these anomalies, I'm just curious about what some of them might be. A lot of smart people frequent this board, so I would love to hear some theories.

Here is a link to the data from the map in list form, as well as several other columns of data, and also a link to the page that includes the pictured map:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformati ... 9/dl1c.cfm
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformati ... apter4.cfm
Regarding Indiana being over 100%: I doubt that the Hoosier state is any more agrarian than, say, Iowa. Plus, according to the site you linked to, Connecticut and Alabama are also over 100% for ratio of licensed drivers to driving-age population. And Connecticut is not known for its teenagers motoring around on the family tractor. I couldn't begin to guess what the reason is for any of those states.

And I'm curious: in all the states . . . what do people who don't have driver's licenses use for ID's?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:And I'm curious: in all the states . . . what do people who don't have driver's licenses use for ID's?
State-issued ID cards.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:Indiana sits right between them at 86.4%, highest in the country by a pretty wide margin. I live in Indiana and have no earthly idea why this would be the case.
Thanks, Jeff, for the post - any post that has a map in it is OK by me! :)

As to Indiana, my guess is that, in my mind at least, it is the state most associated with drivers and driving to me, even more so than the state that has the Motor City in it. Specifically, because of Indianapolis, and its speedway. Granted, this doesn't explain why Joe Hoosier has a driver's license, but it might help. (I wonder if, when Canadian provinces are compared, Quebec comes out with the most drivers because of Montreal's famed F1. ("Driving during the summer here in Montreal is F1, the rest of the year it's F-U!" - comic at Montreal's Just for Laughs festival.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:IN: does farm equipment require a license? Probably a huge % of 16 yr olds get theirs if so.
By my experiences, they don't. I have lots of relatives in rural Saskatchewan which I wind up visitng every second summer or so, it wasn't at all unusual to see my little cousins operating farm machinery years before they could legally drive. I remember seeing my 5 year old second cousin (I think he's in his 20s or maybe early 30s now) on a riding lawn mover.

Of course, keep in mind, this is rural Saskatchewan, they have the RCMP policing, but they aren't everywhere, especially out on the farms. I remember a family reunion one year, I was having a beer, being over 19 (drinking age in Saskatchewan, 18 in Manitoba), and my 16 year old cousin asked to have some too. Having been told that cops usually don't go out to the remote farms, and seeing other underage cousins drinking, I let her share it (besides, I've never been much for beer anyways) - she wound up having most of the bottle! (Thank goodness this board has anonymous user names attached to them!)

So, point being, I wouldn't be surprised if rural kids are driving well before they legally could. (Hey, come to think of it, firs time I drove anything was at the age of 15 when my uncle, again out in SK, let me drive his truck for quite a distance (between two towns).
econgator wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:And I'm curious: in all the states . . . what do people who don't have driver's licenses use for ID's?
State-issued ID cards.
I wonder the same thing, especially after this news story earlier this year about what happened when two university students let their license lapse. (Note, to those who view the article, Manitoba Public Insurance, or MPI, is the government-run insurance agency in Manitoba, and our only choice for vehicle insurance. Several other provinces (Alberta springs to mind) have choices in auto insurance, but Manitoba is one that doesn't).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
State-issued ID cards.
I wonder the same thing, especially after this news story earlier this year about what happened when two university students let their license lapse. (Note, to those who view the article, Manitoba Public Insurance, or MPI, is the government-run insurance agency in Manitoba, and our only choice for vehicle insurance. Several other provinces (Alberta springs to mind) have choices in auto insurance, but Manitoba is one that doesn't).
There are no such requirements here in the States. You obviously can't drive on an expired license, but there is no requirement for anyone to carry ID on them otherwise (about half the states do have stop and identify statutes, which require you to give your name to law enforcement if asked).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
There are no such requirements here in the States. You obviously can't drive on an expired license, but there is no requirement for anyone to carry ID on them otherwise (about half the states do have stop and identify statutes, which require you to give your name to law enforcement if asked).
We may not be required to carry ID, but is it worth the hassle not to do it? Photo ID tends to be important at the bank, jury duty, hospital... Of course someone could avoid banks by keeping cash at home, avoid jury duty by not voting or using the DMV, and avoid the hospital by staying healthy. Avoiding law enforcement depends on many factors.

Even though not required I have proper ID on me if I am outside the house, but I have had times of more than a year when it never left the wallet.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Of course someone could avoid banks by keeping cash at home
Do you really go inside a bank all that often? I might use a teller two or three times per year.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
We may not be required to carry ID, but is it worth the hassle not to do it? Photo ID tends to be important at the bank, jury duty, hospital... Of course someone could avoid banks by keeping cash at home, avoid jury duty by not voting or using the DMV, and avoid the hospital by staying healthy. Avoiding law enforcement depends on many factors.

Even though not required I have proper ID on me if I am outside the house, but I have had times of more than a year when it never left the wallet.
Do you have to wear an ID badge at your school?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Of course someone could avoid banks by keeping cash at home
Do you really go inside a bank all that often? I might use a teller two or three times per year.
Bamaman wrote:Do you have to wear an ID badge at your school?
I don't know how long it's been since I've been inside a bank, but Bush 43 was in office. No ID badge at the school since it's only a small 11-person staff preschool and not a public school district type of job.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

this was a good game to watch, i thought. FJ mystified me (i had hawaii, with no conviction), but i did okay on the rest of the board. missed double, hemsworth, cape colony... and harrelson, even though the people vs larry flynt was a clue (that i got right!) in my ToC quarterfinal. i also said mirren instead of blanchett (i get those elizabeth movies mixed up—and yes, i know the queen is about elizabeth ii, but mirren has also portrayed liz i, adding to my confusion). oddly i had no trouble with turturro. and marty was curious because, unlike those of you who watched this last thursday, i saw it after borgnine died and was thinking, "again!"

i'm good with math terms, so i had no problem with that octant DD. i've even been known to refer to pizza slices as octants (just to give you a sense of how nerdy my idiolect runs). but basically they gave you "O" and 1/8 of a circle, so ... yeah. people know about quadrants and sextants, right?

ron, sorry to see you go, but congrats on your win and some good gets. your FJ wager was just fine, i thought. kudos to stephanie for a canny wager that had her in a position to win regardless of whether she got FJ right (as it turns out), but you did just fine to assume she would make the normal shutout wager.