New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:To all of you who get the Television for $400 clue I bow to your TV knowledge.
I got it purely because a friend from college lived on that avenue... well, 20-some floors up. Also guessed Ellen's job.

Big props and thanks to M. Barrett for all the archive additions.
In and out of the pool four times
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Grace Veach #2 is now in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3936

For a police officer it was a little scary how trigger happy Bruce was on the show.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

jpahk wrote:
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:If I saw I was tied with someone before the last DJ clue is read (assuming third place won't be a factor), I would just put the signaling device down and hope the other contestant realizes that they're tied with me as well.
this season, i can remember two prisoner's dilemma situations (co-leaders, 3rd place locked out): in this game, both players went all-in, and in this one, one went all-in and the other made a frankly nonsensical (sorry cathy) $1000 wager—which worked out fine because she had a single-get (of course, she wins on a single-get no matter what her wager).

all of which is to say, it's not actually a great situation to be tied going into FJ with 3rd locked out. (it is great if you're in 3rd and the leaders are tied!) so i question the validity of a strategy that attempts to engineer such just such a situation in the "hope" that your opponent will play along.
Thanks a lot, Joon. You had to mention that game! :(

Jeff-thecdboy, it's also possible that you might not notice that you're in a tie going into the last DJ clue. There's a lot going on up there under the lights!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

October 8, 1986 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3940

Check out Wars $1000. That's good stuff to remember it would appear.

I corrected Carl Brady's 4x total to $24,900 (how he was introduced on the show) from $24,300 that was previously in the archive.

Alex had a funny flub during FJ that I uploaded to YouTube. You can also play along with FJ clue in real time while anticipating the wagers in an unusual situation.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:October 8, 1986 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3940

See, THAT way it's easy to get! It's the other way around that relegates it to the dusty corner of history...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:October 8, 1986 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3940

See, THAT way it's easy to get! It's the other way around that relegates it to the dusty corner of history...
Of course, if you've never heard of it before, there's no way in Hell you're getting it.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:

Of course, if you've never heard of it before, there's no way in Hell you're getting it.
Once more unto the rabbit hole, dear friends, once more...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:

'S a good thing it came up on the show recently.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is it just me, or has Alex's hosting style gotten a LOT looser over the years? Some 80s and 90s episodes are tough for me to even watch because Alex seems so stern compared to how he is now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ben Tritle #3 from 5/20/02 has been entered to complete the set of his regular run: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1103

Plenty of trash to pick up in the $1000s and $2000s rows. Was Recent Music for $2000 easier back then? I had no clue then and no more of a guess watching it today. Props to all of you who get Go The Distance $2000 on one guess in less than five seconds.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

MarkBarrett wrote:Ben Tritle #3 from 5/20/02 has been entered to complete the set of his regular run: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1103

Plenty of trash to pick up in the $1000s and $2000s rows. Was Recent Music for $2000 easier back then? I had no clue then and no more of a guess watching it today. Props to all of you who get Go The Distance $2000 on one guess in less than five seconds.
Spoiler
The PJ bootlegs were legendary, at least amongst the die-hards. I have a friend who drove in a group from PEI to see them in Montreal and Toronto last summer, and had done the same drive the last time they toured Canada... my trip to meet them in Mtl for the show was much shorter. Instaget for me, though the level of difficulty would probably have been the same then as it is now
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it from the second nickname, but I'd never heard that president called American Caesar.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote:I got it from the second nickname, but I'd never heard that president called American Caesar.
Yeah, American Caesar was MacArthur.

Lol at the FJ answers.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:Lol at the FJ answers.
Spoiler
Nicholas wasn't a bad guess, I myself picked Catherine...smidge too early.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Mark, we know that Carl Brady won 4 games, but when he was one of the challengers that Anne Summers faced(her first appearance aired on September 24, 1986), she was defeated in her 2nd game.
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote:Mark, we know that Carl Brady won 4 games, but when he was one of the challengers that Anne Summers faced(her first appearance aired on September 26, 1986), was she in her 3rd game or her 5th(looking to be the first undefeated player of Season 3)? Also, Carl Brady's first game is also available in the trading circuit from a November(or most likely December) 1998 GSN airing in its entirety with the fee plugs left intact that your affiliated station didn't show.
I don't know anything about Anne Summers (but I'll keep an eye out for her now as I check tapes) and Carl Brady #5 is the only one I've come across on my tapes.

You have Anne Summers debut as Friday, September 26th.
So she would be:
#1 9/26
#2 9/29
#3 9/30
#4 10/1
#5 10/2

The archive has Carl Brady #2 as 10/3, so logic dictates that if Anne and Carl played in the same game then she was going for five. After the DJ round, I think (or could have been at beginning of game) Alex was yapping about some problem with champs going for fifth win in that season. Roger Storm was beat in his #5, so if this Anne lost #5 as well then that would justify Alex's remarks.

If I ever come across a Bob Menaker/Steve Cowie game then that would solidify the dates for Traini.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Grace Veach #3 is in the archive to complete her run of regular games: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3941

I applaud all of you able to recall the name for American History $1000.

Scott has plenty of spots to regret his defeat and Grace could have been stopped early in her run.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/5/87 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3943

For those that give a flying...When the DJ round started the zoom-in turned into a star whatever that means. You can see the same design with the start of the FJ round.

Nicknames $600 - Surprised Alex took last name alone

Foreign Words $200: I spelled the correct response like it sounded. Feel free to help with the spelling.

Foreign Words $400: My favorite TOM of the game

With the scores close I thought the FJ round was a good one to upload to YouTube:

Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

And I'm surprised Mark that your affiliated station has never showed the end of the episode fee plugs from any of the Season 3 episodes that were shown in the afternoon as previous season repeats, like it did first-run when your affiliated station did show it, so I'm sure that all your S3 episodes are from previous season repeats. BTW, what was the name of your affiliated station that showed the Season 3 episodes as previous season repeats? For those who had GSN, the 1/28/1987 J! episode(as well as Carl Brady/Bob/Janet episode) was shown with the fee plugs fully intact JTLYK. The September 17, 1986 episode is also available on the trading circuit from a November 8, 1998 GSN airing with all the J! round clues and the end of the episode fee plugs included in the tape, aired on the same day as the December 14, 1982 Child's Play episode(which had Johnny Gilbert as a substitute announcer) and the September 12, 1984 episode of Body Language with Lucille Ball and Charles Nelson Reilly(which followed the previous night's episode of As Seen On).
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

MarkBarrett wrote:Foreign Words $200: I spelled the correct response like it sounded. Feel free to help with the spelling.
schlemazel
also: