Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Post by Volante »

RandyG wrote:I was startled when in a WWTBAM audience, I discovered that polling the audience on an "ask the audience" help takes forever, not the 5-10 or so seconds that are actually broadcast.
Well what did you think it was like, voting in the North Carolina state congress?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote:
RandyG wrote:I was startled when in a WWTBAM audience, I discovered that polling the audience on an "ask the audience" help takes forever, not the 5-10 or so seconds that are actually broadcast.
Well what did you think it was like, voting in the North Carolina state congress?
As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I thought it would be like.
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

Who are these contestant coordinators?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

ACW wrote:Who are these contestant coordinators?
Are you asking about the specific people or, in general, what is a contestant coordinator? But to address both:

The coordinators are the direct contacts that contestants/prospective contestants have with the Jeopardy! production throughout the whole process.... from initial contact, in-person tryouts/auditions, phone and email contact, and in-studio appearances. You may have seen the names Maggie, Glenn, Robert and Corina mentioned in the forum. They're the superb CCs who have worked with contestants for a long time. (Are there others who work at the studio now or who travel around the country? Someone else will have to answer that.)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

RandyG wrote:
Are you asking about the specific people or, in general, what is a contestant coordinator? But to address both:

The coordinators are the direct contacts that contestants/prospective contestants have with the Jeopardy! production throughout the whole process.... from initial contact, in-person tryouts/auditions, phone and email contact, and in-studio appearances. You may have seen the names Maggie, Glenn, Robert and Corina mentioned in the forum. They're the superb CCs who have worked with contestants for a long time. (Are there others who work at the studio now or who travel around the country? Someone else will have to answer that.)
In the early years there was Greg Muntean and Susanne THurber.
ACW

Post by ACW »

RandyG wrote:

In general, but thanks for the extra info 8-)
ACW

Post by ACW »

RandyG wrote:
ACW wrote:
jpahk wrote:there is indeed no time limit. if you have nerves of steel like roger craig, you can take as long as you want and just ignore alex when he tries to hurry you up. roger said he did this a few times during his regular run, too, but they edited out the long pauses. (and if anybody else remembers the ToC game the clip is from, you might recall that roger took enough time to get the wager exactly right.)
Thanks Joon :)

And here's something I noticed that's not a question but I find interesting: In WoF, pronunciation matters; in Jeopardy, not so much (nor I believe does spelling).
Spelling matters in Jeopardy! only in spelling-related categories. Other than that, as long as the answer is phonetically correct and close enough to the actual spelling, then it will be judged as correct. Pronunciation, however, does matter. Altering a vowel sound or adding an extra syllable or consonant, no matter how slight, will almost always be ruled incorrect. The only exceptions are when the actual pronunciation is somewhat obscure and the contestant gives what is at least a literal pronunciation of the term's spelling. Still, these are all potentially gray areas that may be judged on an individual as-needed basis.
Although, apparently consonant sounds don't matter (see: Jerry vs. Gerry <though I always thought it was the former; who says Gerrymander with the hard G?)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

A few years ago, I remember them taking "pep-iss" as close enough for Samuel Pepys.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:A few years ago, I remember them taking "pep-iss" as close enough for Samuel Pepys.
Yeah, I'm not sure how one would reason 'Peeps' out of that without hearing it at some point.

...and for that matter, where's the damn 'R' in 'colonel'?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

ACW wrote:
RandyG wrote: Spelling matters in Jeopardy! only in spelling-related categories. Other than that, as long as the answer is phonetically correct and close enough to the actual spelling, then it will be judged as correct. Pronunciation, however, does matter. Altering a vowel sound or adding an extra syllable or consonant, no matter how slight, will almost always be ruled incorrect. The only exceptions are when the actual pronunciation is somewhat obscure and the contestant gives what is at least a literal pronunciation of the term's spelling. Still, these are all potentially gray areas that may be judged on an individual as-needed basis.
Although, apparently consonant sounds don't matter (see: Jerry vs. Gerry <though I always thought it was the former; who says Gerrymander with the hard G?)
It's adding the extra consonant sound that almost always matters, but still, the overriding standard is that if the proper pronunciation is not all that well known or it's an odd pronunciation given the spelling, then a phonetic pronunciation would generally be accepted. (example given above "Pepys" pronounced "pep-iss") Funny you should use "gerrymandering" as an example in response to my comment, as during my 22 minutes in the sun, one of my correct questions was "What is gerrymandering?" (I pronounced it as "jerry....")
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's a hard g.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:It's a hard g.
"Gerry" is a hard 'g'. "Gerrymander" is a soft 'g'.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:It's a hard g.
"Gerry" is a hard 'g'. "Gerrymander" is a soft 'g'.
Which is utterly stupid because the hard 'g' is what it's based on.

Also, shouldn't it be Elbridgegerrymander?

Edit: Eerily apropos... http://iamarg.com/2012/07/02/boxers/
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:A few years ago, I remember them taking "pep-iss" as close enough for Samuel Pepys.
Yeah, I'm not sure how one would reason 'Peeps' out of that without hearing it at some point.
And this is where I thought the diorama anecdote was going this evening - A Samuel Pepys diorama?? London as described in his diary?? How bizarre!
OCSam
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:
AWOL, along with the f in lieutenant.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Vanya wrote:
Volante wrote:
I pronounce it l'yootenant. And Volante, it IS stupid. And not sure if serious, but the mander is based off of salamander: Image
Volante

Post by Volante »

ACW wrote:
Vanya wrote:
Volante wrote:
I pronounce it l'yootenant. And Volante, it IS stupid. And not sure if serious, but the mander is based off of salamander: Image
Well I knew that part! (Using the whole name was pointing out that it's the same cause it's got his name in it! Like certain museums...*cough*)
njr75003
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by njr75003 »

Since I cannot find another appropriate topic to post this query, I've decided to post it here. I am a frequent peruser of the J-Archive site, and its' search engine listing categories/clues has been invaluable to my research. However, recently, whenever I use the SEARCH Box on the site, it no longer comes up with the "normal" search results; instead, I simply get a Google-powered search listing. Is this now the norm, or should I still be able to access the "normal" search function somehow. BTW, I am using Firefox Mozilla, if that affects the answer. Thx for your attention!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

That's currently the norm. The regular search is down for maintenance.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
ACW

Post by ACW »

May have asked this :oops:
But who picks first for DJ! if there's a tie for last place?