New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by legendneverdies »

Ivoryface86 wrote:And I'm surprised Mark that your affiliated station has never showed the end of the episode fee plugs from any of the Season 3 episodes that were shown in the afternoon as previous season repeats, like it did first-run when your affiliated station did show it.
That clip Mark just uploaded with the Jacoby and Meyers plug might have come from WPVI in Philly, who aired the previous season reruns at 11AM from 1985-88(save for 9/15/86-1/2/87 when they aired at 4PM). KYW in Philly picked up the first season of Trebek J!, and aired a week of reruns the week of 9/9-9/13/85, which is the first week WPVI aired J!. SO J! aired on two stations in Philly for one week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks, Joon. The fix is in. I've lived in San Francisco my whole life and the local NBC affiliate at the time showing J! was KRON. Might have come from Philadelphia? I just shake my head around here sometimes.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks, Joon. The fix is in. I've lived in San Francisco my whole life and the local NBC affiliate at the time showing J! was KRON. Might have come from Philadelphia? I just shake my head around here sometimes.
I didn't realize that you were the person the clip came from originally, it could have come from someone in the trading circuit before you. Jacoby and Meyers were I think strictly a Northeast/Mid Atlantic advertiser in the 80s.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:2/5/87 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3943

With the scores close I thought the FJ round was a good one to upload to YouTube:
I've seen evenly spaced scores lead to a tie before, but not on the upside. I wonder if either wager was made with strategy in mind, or if it was just a happy coincidence that she wagered to tie and he wagered everything.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Before entering the game I typed Joel Nathanson's name in a Google search instead of an Archive search in looking to make sure he wasn't already in the archive. The second hit on Google was a website showing a picture of him looking older of course, and it does mention his three wins on the show: http://www.caringlaserdentist.com/Timon ... hanson.asp
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote:With weekday Euro Cup over I will have time to put some more games in before the Olympics start at the end of July. Any requests?
I don't know if I'm too late for possible requests or not, but I was wondering if you had any eps. from the 1990-91, 1991-92, and/or 1994-95 seasons in your collection that are not in the archive? I don't care if they're regular or tournament episodes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:With weekday Euro Cup over I will have time to put some more games in before the Olympics start at the end of July. Any requests?
I don't know if I'm too late for possible requests or not, but I was wondering if you had any eps. from the 1990-91, 1991-92, and/or 1994-95 seasons in your collection that are not in the archive? I don't care if they're regular or tournament episodes.
That's about 600 games, so I gotta have something. Jill B-C #1 is going in today. I'll try to find something interesting from your request for Monday.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jill B-C debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1160

Which clue was the most likely to cause a neg?

State Gateways $1000
Frequently Asked Questions $800
Hey, Doc! $1600
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jill B-C debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1160

State Gateways $1000
Hey, Doc! $1600
Hey, Doc was *cruel.*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jill B-C debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1160

State Gateways $1000
Hey, Doc! $1600
The State Gateways was gettable, the FAQ was pure neg-bait, the Hey, Doc! was just plain unfair.

I think you need to add the letter T to the end of the answer for Words Within Words $800. If that's really what she said, the judges must not have caught it, because the shorter word doesn't fit the clue.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

plasticene wrote:

State Gateways $1000
Hey, Doc! $1600
The State Gateways was gettable, the FAQ was pure neg-bait, the Hey, Doc! was just plain unfair.
I don't think FAQ was neg-bait per se, it just suffered from exact quote syndrome.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

plasticene wrote:

State Gateways $1000
Hey, Doc! $1600

I think you need to add the letter T to the end of the answer for Words Within Words $800. If that's really what she said, the judges must not have caught it, because the shorter word doesn't fit the clue.
I added the letter T. Thanks.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

How nice of Wendy to play for the tie in this game. Had Wendy got FJ! right, Jill B-C would probably be kicking herself right now for her underwager, and would not have come close to having the memorable fifth FJ! response she would eventually have.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I know of someone who once omitted a final D in FJ who would be upset that they accepted Jill's similar omission.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:
How nice of Wendy to play for the tie in this game. Had Wendy got FJ! right, Jill B-C would probably be kicking herself right now for her underwager, and would not have come close to having the memorable fifth FJ! response she would eventually have.
Mark...did they say why they took Strom Thurmon?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:I know of someone who once omitted a final D in FJ who would be upset that they accepted Jill's similar omission.
Who was this that omitted a final D?
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

This got me thinking: How many games do the archivists have on tape yet to transcribe? Are there seasons (early ones?) that are probably lost to the mists of time (like the original incarnation, sadly)? Or is there hope that all seasons of the Trebek era will eventually be archived?

Big ups to all of the archivists (and also the jboard mafia)! Respek.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I know of someone who once omitted a final D in FJ who would be upset that they accepted Jill's similar omission.
Who was this that omitted a final D?
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=829

She has shown up to the new Sony board a few times to complain about it.

At least Jill would have won either way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She had no case, she spelled it wrong and was rightfully negged. They should not have taken Thurmon, (would Ted Kenney have been accepted?) but at least she would have won anyway.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex accepted Jill's FJ spelling with no hesitation. Wendy's gave him no pause as well. It was the Helms that cost her.

Roger: I don't know the answer, but for me I know I have more games not in the archive. If I did 10 or 15 per summer would I exhaust my collection? I seriously doubt it. My preference is to do regular games now that the TOCs are complete. Unless there is some attic collection with the old baseball card trove recently uncovered I don't think the early seasons will ever get near complete.

Archivist-wise there are a few of us sitting on more games than the average person.