Cindy Conaway's "Don't Bet Like a Girl"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Cindy Conaway's "Don't Bet Like a Girl"

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Here's a nice piece from Cindy Conaway on her experience as a J! contestant. The article begins on page 52.

Try this updated link.
Last edited by cinemaniax7 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Cindy Conaway's "Don't Bet Like a Girl"

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Anyone get this link to work?

-M
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Anyone get this link to work?
Probably going to have to be OP. I couldn't find anything Googling (and I wield some fairly decent Google-fu). Plus, the link directs to gmail. :?:
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Well, this page is pretty funny, if it's the same person.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vanya wrote:Well, this page is pretty funny, if it's the same person.
At the site I tried a couple of the UTOC elite 18 who I know, teach. The comments were all over the place.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Vanya wrote:Well, this page is pretty funny, if it's the same person.
At the site I tried a couple of the UTOC elite 18 who I know, teach. The comments were all over the place.
Speaking from my own experiences with the site, it tends to attract those who feel most strongly about the professor. So you end up with the students who are either angry about the class for both real and perceived offenses, or those who loved the course and/or the professor and want to gush about it/him/her online. In any event, it's the outliers who tend to log their comments there.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I found it amusing that a contestant who speaks about betting in the title of her article turfed her wager pretty handily when it came to the show itself (to the tune of the extra $1,000).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks for the updated link. The article looks pretty good. I'll read it at work tonight.

-M
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

"High concept categories and questions " is not how I would describe what writers have done to the show recently.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Ratemyprofessors.com is the Yahoo! comment thread of prof rating sites. that is, don't put much (if any) stock in it. Collegiate departments sure don't!

I thought Cindy's writeup was nice and if more players did half as much as she did it'd be a much different show. And the title refers to DD wagering, not FJ wagering. She could've bet less on FJ sure, but her DD wager was pretty defensible. (Preston's DJ DD wager was pretty savvy as well in that game.)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I'm just terrified that, if I ever appeared on the show, I'd have someone mining the internet for negative comments about me. Not sure what that accomplishes.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Austin Powers wrote:I'm just terrified that, if I ever appeared on the show, I'd have someone mining the internet for negative comments about me. Not sure what that accomplishes.
It's funny.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

as I stood behind the middle counter (contestants insist that they are neither podiums, because you don’t stand on them, nor lecterns, because they do not hold books)
"Counter"? Do we insist this? I don't remember any of us insisting this. Not even SotH/TRD objects to calling them "lecterns". I feel misrepresented.

Presumably this was forced into the article by an uninformed editor.

Rex
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I stood behind the middle counter (contestants insist that they are neither podiums, because you don’t stand on them, nor lecterns, because they do not hold books)
The whole line looked clumsy, actually. I was looking for a "discuss" after "books."
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Well, now that I've finished the article, I can say that it was a pretty comprehensive and effervescent story of her experience on the show; whatever details are in it were simply the ones she experienced herself. Maybe all the contestants in her taping group agreed that "counter" was the best term. And that there would be a $600 clue in the DJ! round. :)

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rex Kramer wrote:
as I stood behind the middle counter (contestants insist that they are neither podiums, because you don’t stand on them, nor lecterns, because they do not hold books)
"Counter"? Do we insist this? I don't remember any of us insisting this. Not even SotH/TRD objects to calling them "lecterns". I feel misrepresented.

Rex
She must have read my posts. It's what I have insisted all along. Although I called it a desk. Maybe counter is better.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Vanya wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
She must have read my posts. It's what I have insisted all along. Although I called it a desk. Maybe counter is better.
Desk would certainly apply to the old Art Fleming contestant places. I just called them podiums (podia?) and never gave it much thought.

I'm surprised that, since Sony produces the show, they don't call them Playstations (as opposed to work stations). Or, we could come up with some military-esque term for them, such as PCSBWUSD (Placements Contestants Stand Behind While Using Signaling Devices).
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I propose the term Jeopostation. :D