Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

stevo4212 wrote:Griping about that would be like getting upset that the ownership interest is called fee simple absolute. After all, there is no such thing as ABSOLUTE ownership, right?
And land ownership is rarely simple.
hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hanzz »

As a hopefully future fellow doctor who followed a lock game with a -$6,000 game, I can certainly affirm that one can never be too presumptuous about a person's intellectual/trivial skill based off of one game, sad (or should I be happy?) as I am to see myself fall (rise?) to third in rank.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hanzz wrote:As a hopefully future fellow doctor who followed a lock game with a -$6,000 game, I can certainly affirm that one can never be too presumptuous about a person's intellectual/trivial skill based off of one game, sad (or should I be happy?) as I am to see myself fall (rise?) to third in rank.
Yes (no?) :)
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

goforthetie wrote:
On the pi question, I was actually looking forward to saying that pi is a transcendental number. We've known it is irrational for a while, but the idea of a transcendental number fascinates me. if you can remember the proof that pi is not algebraic, I commend you, for I could never quite grasp it.
I can't remember it off the top of my head, but I did write a paper on it once. Proving that e is transcendental is slightly easier. Not that I can remember that proof, either, although I do remember the proof that it is irrational.[/quote}

Nice! Were you a math major?
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Trying to catch up and played this one off the Archive (hence, no visuals).
It was quite awhile ago so maybe no one will remember (or care?), but just have to ask...

VICE PRESIDENTS $200
Recent holder of the office seen here

Did they really just show a picture of an office?

If so, I'm mighty impressed with Stephanie's get of Dick Cheney!

(And, if not, what up with that grammar? - Or is this, as they say, the "new normal"? :( )
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jkbrat wrote:Trying to catch up and played this one off the Archive (hence, no visuals).
It was quite awhile ago so maybe no one will remember (or care?), but just have to ask...

VICE PRESIDENTS $200

(And, if not, what up with that grammar? - Or is this, as they say, the "new normal"? :( )
To quote another famous Canadian: "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alamble

Post by alamble »

jkbrat wrote:Trying to catch up and played this one off the Archive (hence, no visuals).

VICE PRESIDENTS $200

Given that the name of the category was "Vice Presidents," does it not make sense that "the office" refers to "the office of the Vice-President"? I suppose Alex's inflection would help, but the wording makes perfect sense to me in context.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

I just watched this episode on repeat today (why do they show repeats during the summer hiatus of episodes they recently showed in repeat?) and thought about this question:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $400: "A bassoon is an example of an instrument with a double one of these; a saxophone, a single one"

I wonder if "vowel" would work. Not part of the instrument, true, but "bassoon" does have a double vowel, whereas "saxophone" only has single vowels ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If someone rang in and said that, I'd weasel out of giving them points by saying, "The instrument itself doesn't have a double vowel; its name does." I might also cite the indefinite article before (and lack of quotation marks around) each instrument's name in the clue as making it clear that the clue was talking about the instruments, not the words.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

dhkendall wrote:I just watched this episode on repeat today (why do they show repeats during the summer hiatus of episodes they recently showed in repeat?) and thought about this question:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $400: "A bassoon is an example of an instrument with a double one of these; a saxophone, a single one"

I wonder if "vowel" would work. Not part of the instrument, true, but "bassoon" does have a double vowel, whereas "saxophone" only has single vowels ...
I don't think you can sell saxophone as having 'a single vowel'.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.