FJs for the 7/9/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 7/9/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 pm

1910 winner Albrecht Kossel studied a new material in the control center of cells; today, we know it as this
80%
In 1989 he said, "You can't just ask customers what they want...by the time you get it built, they'll want something new"
73%
He said, "it is 72 years since the first inauguration of a president under our national Constitution"
89%
Of the 6 official languages used at the U.N., this one is the last alphabetically
78%
This appointed position first held by John Dryden echoes a "Versificator Regis" of Richard I in the 12th century
70%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
38%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
FACTS ABOUT AUTHORS $1000: Best known for his stories about Bertie Wooster & this valet, P.G. Wodehouse was interned in Berlin for most of WWII
85%
1933 $1000: He came to the U.S. in 1933 & helped found the School of American Ballet
37%
I'M JUST SWAMPED! $400: This 700-sq.-mile Georgia-Florida swamp is a critical habitat for the Florida black bear
85%
It is Carl's Jr. in my area.
27%
It is Hardee's in my area.
42%

Total votes: 100

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: FJs for the 7/9/12 week

Post by Volante »

Cortana431 wrote:Only missed friday's, sigh.

Are final jeopardy's supposed to be the hardest clues each game? Like harder than any $2000 clue? And what about daily doubles? Are their difficulty random? Because sometimes I see them where a $400 clue would be and other times where a $2000 clue is.
FJs aren't necessarily the hardest. Sometimes they simply seem like clever bits of trivia a writer liked and shoehorned into a clue (and, in order to make the clue remotely possible, they had to slip in a very obvious hint). Other times it's leiderkranz.

As far as the board goes, in general they get harder as you increase in value. BUT there's a wide margin of error because what the writing staff thinks is hard might not match up with the general consensus...and on a personal level you might know the $2000 instant, but the $400's a gap in the knowledge base. They do a pretty good job overall, though, like a baseball umpire (and I mean that in a positive way, not sarcastically as a comment on how umps have been making calls this season...). When you're right 99 times out of 100, that one miss riles up the peanut gallery like crazy frog going off at a recital.

DDs aren't anything special difficulty wise, it's just where they show up on the board...and all other above caveats apply.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
We're in the heart of Hardee's-land here. Still remember Speedy McGreedy from my youth (the Hardee's version of the Hamburglar). Knew of the Carl's Jr. connection because of some overlapping ad campaigns that get some YouTube time (usually involving some hottie eating a Thickburger to Foghat music).

Monday's FJ I already discussed; Thursday's was a total misread on my part -- missed the operative words "six official," so I kept wondering if there was such a thing as Zimbabwee-ese. Picked Zambesi. Neither are actual languages, as it turns out.

Couldn't pull out Ballanchine out of my old brain in time; knew it wasn't Nureyev, he came over in the 1960s.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

With these high get percentages for all the FJs, I have to ask - for the weekly polls, what's the highest "low" percentage? (i.e. the current low percentage FJ in this week's poll is 75%)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

For the 1933 ballet question, I said Diaghelev. Ballet-Russes on the brain, I guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yay, I'm not the only one who farked up Wednesday's. Lincoln was my first guess but my bungling the math ruled him out.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

harrumph wrote:With these high get percentages for all the FJs, I have to ask - for the weekly polls, what's the highest "low" percentage? (i.e. the current low percentage FJ in this week's poll is 75%)
another related question would be what's the highest % ever who have checked all five? we're currently at 42%.
dhkendall wrote:And, yes, there are some New Englanders on the site. Joon comes immediately to mind, as well as a few Maine-iacs.
i'm glad to be remembered first; it helps with my branding. becoming a global icon isn't as easy as it looks.

seriously, though, i checked neither box. i grew up in virginia and have lived in california, so i'm familiar with (and have eaten at) both, but i left both boxes unchecked here.
creedofhubris
Contributor

Post by creedofhubris »

I think question #1 is ambiguous, since "it" could also refer to "the control center of cells".
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

creedofhubris wrote:I think question #1 is ambiguous, since "it" could also refer to "the control center of cells".
I think it would only be ambiguous if "nucleus" (or whatever other response you had in mind) was adopted as the term for "the control center of cells" some time after he did his experiments. Otherwise, "today we know it as this" is meaningless.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I must too do the 1/5 walk of shame. DNA and Jobs were headslappers, UN languages is a trivia chestnut that I just didn't know (see: Henry VIII, wives of), and I would not have gotten poet laureate in a billion years. I thought "versificator" might be related to "veritas" and thought it might be a lawyer of some kind - is it obvious that I didn't take Latin?

I know absolutely nothing about Jeeves and Wooster, but Wooster tipped me off to the answer. Might have gotten Balanchine with enough time to think about it, but probably not.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I feel just stupid about Wed & Thursday..
The extras were just easy matters of fact, no quick math or creation of language lists required...

I had the impression that Carl's Jr was a California chain. Hardee's I'm more familiar with - can't recall seeing one near me.
creedofhubris
Contributor

Post by creedofhubris »

Magna wrote:
creedofhubris wrote:I think question #1 is ambiguous, since "it" could also refer to "the control center of cells".
I think it would only be ambiguous if "nucleus" (or whatever other response you had in mind) was adopted as the term for "the control center of cells" some time after he did his experiments. Otherwise, "today we know it as this" is meaningless.
Well, the only antiquated/bizarre term they used in the question was the "control center of cells".
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

jpahk wrote: i'm familiar with (and have eaten at) both, but i left both boxes unchecked here.
That's what I should have gone with since although we now have Carls's Jr., we had Hardee's for a long time (and I grew up with Hardee's in NW Florida). We actually could still have one around, but I don't frequent the area of town where that one was.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:D :D :D :( :D

Ay, Caramba! I 50-50'd between Arabic and Spanish as the sixth UN language, decided incorrectly that it was Arabic, which left me with Russian as the alphabetically last language.

Two weeks in a row of 4-for-5 FJ. Maybe one of these weeks I'll score the elusive perfecto.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

John Boy wrote: I 50-50'd between Arabic and Spanish as the sixth UN language, decided incorrectly that it was Arabic, which left me with Russian as the alphabetically last language..
What are your 6? Because Arabic is one of them.
Spoiler
English, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish and Arabic
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Paucle wrote:
John Boy wrote: I 50-50'd between Arabic and Spanish as the sixth UN language, decided incorrectly that it was Arabic, which left me with Russian as the alphabetically last language..
What are your 6? Because Arabic is one of them.
Spoiler
English, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish and Arabic
Unfortunately I convinced myself that the six were Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, and Russian.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

John Boy wrote:Unfortunately I convinced myself that the six were Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, and Russian.
ah- I can certainly see how German might be considered as one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:
John Boy wrote:Unfortunately I convinced myself that the six were Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, and Russian.
ah- I can certainly see how German might be considered as one.
I would disagree there, both remembering that Germany was excluded from the UN originally (being a league of nations that won the war, essentially, the Germanies didn't join until 1973), and that German isn't a very widely spoken language, and an official language in less than half a dozen UN states.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Hardee's

For the season:
FJ: 123-92
First third:46-29
Second third: 40-35
Extras: 64-65
TOC: 5-5
College: 4-6
Teachers: 5-5
Teen: 6-4
Power Players: 4-1
Longest FJ winning streak: 8 (active 3)
Longest FJ losing streak: 5
5/5:2
4/5:7
3/5:20
2/5:12
1/5:1
0/5: 1

I went with nucleus, DNA came to me at the 31st second. I went the wrong way on Tuesday with Sam Walton. I could easily do the math to Lincoln, nothing else possible after Spanish and Poet Laureate seemed more likely than Archbishop. I had Bolshoi for the ballet and while I'm not a big fan of theirs,' we have Hardee's here.