New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by dhkendall »

ahirbhairav wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:That is a Monday and I doubt it was on a Monday. The carpet commercial says their sale is on Monday and Tuesday. If the show aired Monday, they likely would have said today and tomorrow.
The sale in one of the ads ended on MOnday 4/1. Regis mentions who is on his morning show tomorrow(which means it's not a Friday episode). I'll guess March 27th or 28th, assuming the sale in the ad lasted one week. The Oscars aired on March 25th that year, since the person uploading the video says the mention the Oscars in a previous newsbreak(it's taped off WABC which at the time aired J! at 4PM)
In that case, the show might--just might--have been pre-empted for the Oscars red carpet and whatnot.
How so? Keep in mind it's syndicated (not to mention on at different times, my Minneapolis station airs it at 430, debramc's affiliate in Texas airs it in the morning); if, say, NBC does the Oscars that doesn't stop the affiliates on CBS and others from airing J!

Remember, it wasn't even "officially" reempted for September 11, it's just that very few stations (if any) aired it (at hat time at least) but there was an episode produced that might have even made it to air somewhere...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote:
Remember, it wasn't even "officially" reempted for September 11, it's just that very few stations (if any) aired it (at hat time at least) but there was an episode produced that might have even made it to air somewhere...
Someone who lived near NYC claimed CHannel 55 Long Island aired J! and WOF on 9/11, but it was never proven and most likely, NYC stations would pipe in news coverage from another station or CNN if they were able to. GSN did air the 9/11/01 episode in 2005, likely seen for the first time.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

ahirbhairav wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:That is a Monday and I doubt it was on a Monday. The carpet commercial says their sale is on Monday and Tuesday. If the show aired Monday, they likely would have said today and tomorrow.
The sale in one of the ads ended on MOnday 4/1. Regis mentions who is on his morning show tomorrow(which means it's not a Friday episode). I'll guess March 27th or 28th, assuming the sale in the ad lasted one week. The Oscars aired on March 25th that year, since the person uploading the video says the mention the Oscars in a previous newsbreak(it's taped off WABC which at the time aired J! at 4PM)
In that case, the show might--just might--have been pre-empted for the Oscars red carpet and whatnot.
J! aired at 4PM in 1985 on WABC, didn't move to 7PM until 12/15/86 on WABC, when and where it still airs(nighttime Wheel started on WCBS NY in early 1984, and moved to WABC on 9/3/1990). Not likely the 4PM show would have been preempted for Oscar coverage, more likely the 7 or 7:30PM show would have(7:30PM most likely, as the national network news still aired at 7PM on all three NYC network stations, WABC was the first to bump it to 6:30PM which has become the norm in the years since).
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Hey MarkBarrett how ya doing. Now that the Summer Olympics are over, I'm hoping that if the January 19, 1987 episode can be archived, because it led us to several notes: It had Co-Champions defeating the defending champion going into that episode. If it's a GSN rerun, then the fee plugs are attached to that episode, if it's a rerun, then the fee plugs were omitted by the station that carried the previous season reruns. Also in Day 3 of Dave Traini's run, did that episode have the DJ! round's logo seen in full screen mode? Because Myron told me it was aired on a Tuesday.
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

MarkBarrett & I can say with guarantee that KGO airs J! at 7pm, and most books state it as 7:30.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

ahirbhairav wrote:MarkBarrett & I can say with guarantee that KGO airs J! at 7pm, and most books state it as 7:30.
Which books even mention what time "Jeopardy!" airs in San Francisco, much less get it wrong?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:MarkBarrett & I can say with guarantee that KGO airs J! at 7pm, and most books state it as 7:30.
Which books even mention what time "Jeopardy!" airs in San Francisco, much less get it wrong?
Pretty sure that's in The Maltese Falcon. :mrgreen:

Also, Ahir, how is it that you are speaking for Mark? Is he incapable of speaking for himself?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

trainman wrote:
I thought he was talking about sports books, like in Las Vegas. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to lay down a bet on the outcome of a Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy! match only to find that they had the wrong start time listed for the show. It can be quite frustrating. I think at some point in recent years they may have had to put an end to this practice, as some people in places like Texas were watching the show at noon every day and then flying out to Vegas and cleaning up.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett & I can say with guarantee that because Mark will be busy driving the lead tractor in his collective farm's Labor Day parade, he probably won't be able to answer this question until Tuesday.

-M
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Does the book say when Joe Namath was on Regis' show in 1985? Or when the carpet store was having their sale?
victhebrick2

Post by victhebrick2 »

does anybody have the clues or videos for the following games this is all the info i have and that one of the contestants was named jim berkowitz i know the clue to the final jeopardy on his last episode was
Clue: More than half the free world's commercial jetliners have been assembled in this U.S. State the answer is washington
the information about the episodes that i know airdates 5/26/1988 5/27/1988 5/30/1988 5/31/1988 episodes #874, 875, 876, 877
[email protected] thats the email for the man in charge of the official jeopardy archives
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Alietr, looks like you might have to re-update the reCAPTCHA software since this is his 3rd time posting the same message.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

For those of you who are alert and want to archive this episode and add this to the J! Archive page, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbsNsgsbt4. I just notice that Roger Storm's 5th episode and the episode after are from 9/11/86 and 9/12/86 after all, you may also notice that the J! round's logo from the first 2 seasons was still seen on the monitors for the Season 3 premiere week, and you heard about crowned an undefeated champion on the previous episode, but was disqualified from the 1987 ToC field.
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ivoryface86 wrote:For those of you who are alert and want to archive this episode and add this to the J! Archive page, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbsNsgsbt4. I just notice that Roger Storm's 5th episode and the episode after aren't from 9/18/86 and 9/19/86 after all, instead those 2 episodes were aired 9/16 and 9/17, you may also notice that the J! round's logo from the first 2 seasons was still seen on the monitors for the Season 3 premiere week, and you heard about crowned an undefeated champion on the previous episode, but was disqualified from the 1987 ToC field.
Barbara Lowe was disqualified from the 1986 ToC field.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Ivoryface86 wrote:For those of you who are alert and want to archive this episode and add this to the J! Archive page, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbsNsgsbt4. I just notice that Roger Storm's 5th episode and the episode after aren't from 9/18/86 and 9/19/86 after all, instead those 2 episodes were aired 9/16 and 9/17, you may also notice that the J! round's logo from the first 2 seasons was still seen on the monitors for the Season 3 premiere week, and you heard about crowned an undefeated champion on the previous episode, but was disqualified from the 1987 ToC field.
Barbara Lowe was disqualified from the 1986 ToC field.
I have taken pictures from the relevant portion of the Eisenberg book. If they are too hard to read then going here should allow a closer look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21743983@N08/

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've always heard she was a five-time champ during the '85-'86 season, including the detail that she helped keep Lionel Goldbart to four wins. rmfromfla posted on the old board that she appeared in March of 1986.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:I've always heard she was a five-time champ during the '85-'86 season, including the detail that she helped keep Lionel Goldbart to four wins. rmfromfla posted on the old board that she appeared in March of 1986.
I posted the Eisenberg pages more for Barbara Lowe's story coming up again and again than to dispute the years. 1987 or 1986? I can't recall. I can vouch for fmfromfla being a very reliable source over the years and I would trust his records over the possibly incorrect recollections of the author.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I have a question probably long lost to the old board...besides Bullseye, which is marked in the Eisenberg book, do we know of any shows that the "Lowe" aliases were on? I've been curious and always liked reading the old Sony thread when Jeff Kirby showed.

Also, thanks for posting the excerpts, Mark, it was helpful tonight in explaining her stunt on Loeb.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Attention Daniel(kingskip), MarkBarrett and Robert K S, catnap1972 has just uploaded the Season 9 premiere episode of J! from September 7, 1992, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXzERjrEV9s. So this is a J! Archive addition and Daniel, this is an alert to add to your RuTube video count and the Season 10 WOF premiere with the actual opening to it too, that's another addition to your RuTube video count and to add to your collection.
btritle
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by btritle »

MarkBarrett wrote:Ben Tritle #3 from 5/20/02 has been entered to complete the set of his regular run: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1103

Plenty of trash to pick up in the $1000s and $2000s rows. Was Recent Music for $2000 easier back then? I had no clue then and no more of a guess watching it today. Props to all of you who get Go The Distance $2000 on one guess in less than five seconds.
Many thanks...couldn't focus in on the $2000 clue, and *just* missed out on the $1600 clue in the same category; would've had it.