Wednesday, December 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6508, 2012-12-26

CONTESTANTS
Debra Newman, a psychologist from Pound Ridge, New York
Gonzalo Rufatt, a financial advisor from Santa Fe, New Mexico
Kris Hamilton, a computer technician from Dublin, Ohio (whose 2-day cash winnings total $37,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. If I were back in my native Canada, this would be Boxing Day. But here in the United States, it's "50% Off All Christmas Decorations and Wrappings" Day. It's another Wednesday. Back to work for most people. Kris, good to have you back with us. Gonzalo and Debra, welcome aboard. Pick up those signaling buttons, because here comes the Jeopardy! Round. Hopefully, you'll get to use them often for these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BUNCH OF IDIOMS (5/5)
MEDICAL EQUIPMENT (5/5)
1892 (5/5) (Alex: That was a good year.)
RESTAURANTS BY SLOGAN (4/5)
TALK OF THE TOWN (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEIR SOLE OSCAR NOMINATION (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kris: 17 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Gonzalo: 4 R, 0 W
Debra: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kris found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Kris had $800, Gonzalo had $600, and Debra was at $1,600. Kris made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

TALK OF THE TOWN $1000: Hemingway wrote that if you've lived in Paris as a young man, "wherever you go...it stays with you, for Paris is" this book title
(Kris: What is... Remembrance of Things Past?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Debra: $1,600
Kris: $1,000
Gonzalo: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Debra Newman is a psychologist who was hesitant about appearing as a contestant on Jeopardy! Why is that?

Debra: Well, I was nervous, Alex. But I have a son who is a teenager. And as you know, teenagers aren't that easy to impress. And my brother said to me, "Well, if you want to impress your son, Matthew, you're either gonna have to go on Jeopardy! or get a hole in one." And since I can't golf, I had to come.

Alex: Okay. All right. Well, nice to have you with us today.

Debra: Nice to be here.

Alex: Gonzalo Rufatt, from Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Gonzalo: Yes.

Alex: What is this about your fixation with regard to supermarkets?

Gonzalo: Well, uh, my girlfriend teases me, actually--

Alex: Yeah.

Gonzalo: --because I go about two or three times a day sometimes--depends. I'm sort of European in that way. I buy a lot of fresh stuff, and I kind of like to eat what I feel like eating at the moment. So, I don't necessarily buy and sort of stock up and eat for a week. So, usually, I'll call her, and she'll say, "Oh, you at the supermarket again?" It's kind of our little in-joke.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kris Hamilton. He's our champion, and he spent a couple of summers working as a carny. And you were doing what?

Kris: I was guessing people's weights and ages.

Alex: And you were pretty successful at it.

Kris: I was extremely successful at it. Just a little bit of background--the prizes don't matter. So, if I guess wrong, the park still makes money. But I took it as a point of personal pride to get as many right as possible.

Alex: How much do I weigh, do you think?

[Kris sighs]

Alex: It's all muscle.

[Laughter]

Kris: 182.

[Alex shakes his head]

Kris: No?

Alex: You're off. You're wrong. But--but you'll still make money.

[Laughter]

Kris: Yes. Exactly! You got it!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TALK OF THE TOWN $600: According to Samuel Johnson, "when a man is tired of" this city, "he is tired of life"
(Kris: What is Paris?)

THEIR SOLE OSCAR NOMINATION $800: As a son, Dan Aykroyd,

THEIR SOLE OSCAR NOMINATION $1000: As a rancher, Rock Hudson,
(Alex: Big film--I guess that's why they called it [*].)

RESTAURANTS BY SLOGAN $800: "When you're here, you're family"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kris: $6,400
Debra: $2,800
Gonzalo: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BANGLADESH (3/5)
NOTORIOUS WOMEN (4/5)
SHIP SHAPE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE ARTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STARTS WITH "C" (4/5)
THEIR SOUL GRAMMY NOMINATION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kris: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Gonzalo: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Debra: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kris snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Kris had $10,000, Gonzalo had $2,000, and Debra was at $4,400. Kris wagered $600.

THE ARTS $1200: "Neptune, the Mystic" ends this Gustav Holst work

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Kris had $11,800, Gonzalo had $2,000, and Debra was at $4,400. Kris wagered $2,900.

SHIP SHAPE $1600: In June 1787 this ship's interior was converted to house pots holding breadfruit plants
(Kris: What is... the Mayflower?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STARTS WITH "C" $2000: In music recording, this "track" sets the tempo

SHIP SHAPE $1200: While protesting nuclear testing in the Pacific, this Greenpeace ship was sunk in 1985 by agents of the French govt.
(Alex: And that was the famous [*].)

NOTORIOUS WOMEN $2000: This third wife of Emperor Claudius "mess"ed around with a lot of men & tried to get one on the throne, but it didn't work

BANGLADESH $1600: Subject to flooding, Bangladesh is on the flood plain of this river, which joins with the Brahmaputra

BANGLADESH $2000: Following its conquest by Muslim invaders, Bangladesh became part of this empire in the 16th century
(Gonzalo: What is the Ottoman Empire?)
(Debra: What is the Moorish empire?)

THEIR SOUL GRAMMY NOMINATION $2000: 1974 was good to this "Tell Me Something Good" soul group that featured Chaka Khan
(Alex: Debra, bad news for you. You have no money. You're not in the red, though, but you have no money; which means you won't be around to play in Final Jeopardy!. You'll get our third-place prize of $1,000.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kris: $17,300 (lock game)
Gonzalo: $5,600
Debra: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY FIRST LINES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Kris: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,099 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Gonzalo: You've no hope of catching up... unless Kris does something stupid. So risk as much as $5,599; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"You better not never tell nobody but God", begins this 1982 novel, whose film version garnered 11 Oscar nominations

FINAL SCORES
Gonzalo: $5,600 + $4,400 = $10,000 (What is "The Color Purple?") (2nd place: $2,000)
Kris: $17,300 + $6,000 = $23,300 (What is The Color Purple) (3-day champion: $60,301)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kris: $21,600, 32 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Gonzalo: $5,600, 9 R, 1 W
Debra: $0, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $27,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Kris: 33/61 = .541
Gonzalo: 10/58 = .172
Debra: 7/58 = .121
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TALK OF THE TOWN $800: "I guess God made Boston on a wet Sunday", wrote this mystery novelist; maybe the town put him into a "big sleep"
(Kris: Who is Dashiell Hammett?)

A BUNCH OF IDIOMS $400: Beware of this idiom, seen here
(Alex: Ugly, little thing, isn't it?)
[Laughter]

A BUNCH OF IDIOMS $800: It's the same either way with this idiom
(Debra: [*]?)
(Alex: Remember your phrasing.)
(Debra: What is [*]?)

RESTAURANTS BY SLOGAN $400: "Everything you love about breakfast"
(Kris: What is Denny's?)

SHIP SHAPE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Nat'l Maritime Museum in Sydney, Australia.) The CLS4 Carpenteria was built in 1917 to be a floating one of these; a sunlight-operated valve on the unmanned ship turned on the acetylene beacon

SHIP SHAPE $2000: It was hijacked in 1985 by Palestinian terrorists who killed American Leon Klinghoffer
(Debra: What is the Cole?)

NOTORIOUS WOMEN $1600: When Anna Sage betrayed this gangster on July 22, 1934, she was not dressed in red but wore an orange skirt
(Debra: Who is Al Capone?)

BANGLADESH $800: This country is the main destination for Bangladeshi exports
(Kris: What is India?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
A Moveable Feast
London
Driving Miss Daisy
Giant
Olive Garden
The Planets
Her Majesty's Ship Bounty
the click track
Rainbow Warrior
Messalina
the Ganges
the Mughal Empire
Rufus
The Color Purple
Raymond Chandler
the wolf in sheep's clothing
six of one, half dozen of another
IHOP
a lighthouse
the Achille Lauro
John Dillinger
the United States
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $60,301, Kris moves into 15th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 »

Completely bombed the Notorious Women category but made up for it by answering 5/5 in Soul Grammy Nomination.

Incorrectly answered A Clockwork Orange for FJ. The year seemed off, but I knew I had seen the line in print. Just couldn't figure out where.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought for sure I'd run Restaurant Slogans, but Denny's/IHOP was evil, evil negbait. Especially since, until last year, I lived more than 4 hours from an IHOP.

Missed only Carnegie in 1892, as I blanked on it. Also missed only "fight city hall" in Idioms and calipers in Starts with C because I had never heard of either.

0/5 in Bangladesh and Ship.

No guess at all. I've heard the title once or twice, but never knew so much that it was a novel, much less its plot.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Outback Steakhouse was my only miss in the Restaurants by Slogan category, though IHOP took some thinking. Additionally, for some reason, I had an easier time with the bottom clues than the top clues in Idioms.

Never heard of The Color Purple.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I really enjoyed what was, effectively, 11 questions on artists or works that had little success at winning major awards.

I thought the FJ was a little silly - it might as well have been an Oscar category. Shameless memorizers like myself will know the first line, but unless you've read the book there's no reason it should lead you to "The Color Purple."

Also enjoyed "hemostat" showing up once more as an answer.

The champ's strange cadence between questions was back tonight, but we got through all the questions so it's all good.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Gustavo is the fourth New Mexican on J! this season. I imagine he was sitting in the audience Monday thinking, "Lew Wallace! Lew Wallace!"

FJ was an instaget, and I almost ran the Notorious Women category - I said Messina for Messalina.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ElendilPickle wrote:I said Messina for Messalina.
Is your give a damn busted?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Austin Powers wrote:
I thought the FJ was a little silly - it might as well have been an Oscar category. Shameless memorizers like myself will know the first line, but unless you've read the book there's no reason it should lead you to "The Color Purple."
I've never read the book, but got this pretty quickly from the combination of the line, timing and Oscar info.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:I said Messina for Messalina.
Is your give a damn busted?
Um, TPH, I think this is more a Loggins & Messina or Messina, Italy, crowd as opposed to Jo Dee Messina, though it's certainly conceivable to appreciate all three. I even picked up Jo Dee's autograph at a NASCAR-and-country-music show.

Great. Now my lowbrow roots are showing.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Austin Powers wrote: Shameless memorizers like myself will know the first line, but unless you've read the book there's no reason it should lead you to "The Color Purple."
Since I suck at Oscar-related trivia (a lot less than I used to, but still...I sure as hell didn't remember Dan Aykroyd getting a nom for Driving Miss Daisy), I actually ended up repeating that line out loud a few times, imagining the type of character that would say it like that, and The Color Purple came to me almost immediately. I had no idea it got that many nominations (and lost them all...yikes).
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Speaking of Messalina, did anyone else get it from watching "I, Claudius" (PBS, Derek Jacobi) years and years ago?
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Missed tonight's episode because of a last-minute errand that was supposed to last about fifteen minutes and took nearly an hour. *Sigh*

However, FJ was an Instaget, which was unusual since I've never read the book. But have seen the movie and because of the number of Oscar nominations and such, was able to put the correct answer together.

Happy Boxing Day to all.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No clue on FJ. Just guessed Forrest Gump to guess something.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I never read the book and only have seen a small snippet of the movie. But the snippet I saw showed some creepy looking guy chasing after a young girl. From that I surmised the opening line referred to some sort of molestation. I also knew the movie got a bunch of nominations but did not win any.

Read only if you saw yesterday's game. (Only spoils one clue and not the FJ.)
Spoiler
Yesterday a player guessed breadfruit on The Caine Mutiny. Today we had the breadfruit mentioned for the Bounty.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kris had 3 DDs to play with wagers of 800, 600 and 2900. Naturally his sole get was the $600. I like seeing situational play and feel over 1000 or 2000 no matter what is happening.

At home I had no chance on Hemingway's Feast and didn't wager since I didn't get the clue above. For The Arts I went with 6600 of 11600 figuring it wouldn't be too hard. Alex seemed to be telling Kris to bet big on it that it was a softball based on the preamble awaiting Kris's wager. Even though I had the previous three in Ship Shape I didn't trust knowing the DD and only bet box value. The Bounty? Uh yeah, I'm going to get that. What I feared was in the next box being unable to raise the Achille Lauro. Nice get on the show.

Can't Fight City Hall? No problem as I learned it years ago when the Brady Bunch tried to save Woodland Park in "Double Parked."

I had three yells at the players with Rainbow Warrior, Rufus and Driving Miss Daisy. Other than The Sting Aykroyd's nominated role movie has to be the Best Picture winner I've seen the most times. I can't imagine why Aykroyd didn't get an earlier nomination for Doctor Detroit.

The error I wanted back was The Big Sleep when I blurted out Marlowe and immediately knew I should have said Chandler.

The FJ clue had me doing scene one take 2 when 1982 had me scribble Gandhi on my paper. Matching the quote to him made little sense and I felt I was on the wrong track. I reread the clue and realized just because the book was 1982 didn't mean the movie was. 11 nominations I realized was a lot and few movies got there. Best picture or not I didn't feel the Kingsley flick could have had that many. Thinking 11 had me recall The Turning Point before The Color Purple popped in next. Finally the year and quote put it together to solve the clue with time to spare.

AP had it right that it was more an Oscar clue (at leat for me) than Literary First Lines. Even though I saw the Spielberg film first run and sure as heck never read the book it was Academy Awards trivia that did the trick.

Will Kris be heading back to Culver City in a few weeks? We'll find out tomorrow. Reminder to me to stay off the boards after 4 my time since I don't want to see a post by someone whose name adding to the discussion usually means one thing only.

Kris has sent (small spoiler for Monday's game)
Spoiler
(or, yeah, they did it themselves) 2/6 opponents to offstage for the FJ clue. How many did Ken do?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The preview commercial I saw Monday had the three wide shot from today's game, so this was the first game I watched without knowing who won before it started.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:Also enjoyed "hemostat" showing up once more as an answer.
I think a certain boardie would appreciate this. (I thought of him when I was at my parents this weekend for Christmas and my dad was showing me his modelling tools (he's a model railroader who does a lot of building for his layout and is a regular columnist in a very popular model railroad magazine), one of which I instantly recognized as a hemostat)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'm sorry but Kris reminds me of the Martians in Mars Attacks!.

I tried to read The Color Purple but couldn't get through it because the whole book is written in the vernacular, not just the dialogue. So FJ was easy.