Monday, January 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Monday, January 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

Goodness. I'm in today's J! commercial! It does contain mild spoilers, though, so some of you might not want to watch it until Friday or so.

ETA I'm in the online commercial, not in the one that aired here before tonight's episode. It is...odd seeing myself on TV.
Last edited by ElendilPickle on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

17 right today with 10 in round one and then 7 in DJ. I had a rough day. I went 3/5 in the 2000 Quotations category when I should have gone 5/5. I thought the United States traded with China before 2000? Unless I read that wrong. Also, for some reason on the Germany clue I guessed Israel.

I should have gotten the first two on the play time category but I wasn't quick enough.

I guess there are some times where there are a string of easy FJ's. Today was an instaget. I guessed Babe Ruth as soon as they said 1974, 26 years after his death. I knew he passed away in 1948.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Anybody besides me weep when "He played Meathead" drew blank stares from all three players?

When I saw the FJ category, I decided this would be a Clavin bet no matter what. A time where I take money out of my wallet and throw it on the podium. Take up a collection from the audience to add to my bet. Was pretty sure who it was, solved the math problem and had George Ruth written down before the music started.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

American Sports Legends
A bio from 1974, 26 years after his death, quotes him: "I swing big...I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can."

Spoiler
Who is Babe Ruth

Ashok Poozhikunnel: $18,800+$7,201=$26,001...now a 3-day champion with $65,602
Steve Money: $13,000+$6,000=$19,000
Wendy Hayes: $2,400+$1,600=$4,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rule of Third seemed all mixed up. Anvil and superego were by far easier than whatever the heck was at $200.

Math formulae are known as operations? That info must've evaporated ever since I was in grade school, back in the Stone Age.

0/5 on UCLA Alumni, but missed only $1000 in How Do You? I honestly had no clue how blood pressure machines worked.

Skunked Plays and Actor-Directors, thanks to blanking on Welles in the latter.

No guess on FJ! Ruth briefly entered my mind, at least.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I don't think I've ever heard any of those 'regionalisms' before. Probably should've done better than 1/5, but I spent too much time trying to parse the words instead of the TOMs.

Unfortunately, Ashok didn't hear me chanting 'Simpson'

Precalled, instaget, FJ.
Bamaman wrote:Anybody besides me weep when "He played Meathead" drew blank stares from all three players?
Guilty. Well, maybe not weep, but definitely a long, disappointed sigh.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody besides me weep when "He played Meathead" drew blank stares from all three players?.
Not weeping, but certainly a head-shake.

FJ was as simple as they get.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $65,602, Ashok moves into 13th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Frank Hardy wrote:With three wins & $65,602, Ashok moves into 13th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
With two teachers and a college student in the TOC, that doesn't do much for him.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Anybody besides me weep when "He played Meathead" drew blank stares from all three players?
Sort of. I couldn't pull out the first name quickly enough. Knew it wasn't Carl, but that was all that was coming, so I figured I'd ring in and say "Reiner" and think of the first name in the time it took Alex to say BMS.
Bamaman wrote:
Frank Hardy wrote:With three wins & $65,602, Ashok moves into 13th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
With two teachers and a college student in the TOC, that doesn't do much for him.
But there's always tomorrow.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Too bad the contestants didn't quite catch on to the "How do you" category, despite Alex's hesitation at accepting the first response. I'm guessing the writers were thinking they could simply reply with "How do you make Rice Krispie Treats?" or "How do you whistle?", since that would already be in the form of a question, rather than "What is how do you..." or simply "What is whistle?", "What is take blood pressure?", etc.

Annie Sullivan in the Miracle Worker? I always thought it was Anne Sullivan. I didn't think those names were generally used interchangeably, but looking at the wiki page for the play, Anne shows up 12 times on the page, but in both listings of the play's characters it shows up as Annie. Similar results on Ms. Sullivan's page, as Anne is used 30 times, but in referring to her depiction in a book, she is called Annie. Is it common for women to be called of these names, presumably Annie being used by close friends and family?

That was another very impressive performance by Ashok in the DJ round, as once he gets rolling on the higher value clues, his opponents have had a hard time keeping up. He has, I believe, seemed pretty comfortable with sports clues, so I'm guessing he was happy when the FJ category was revealed. It's do-or-die time tomorrow to see if he can earn possibly the last invite to the TOC.

Wow, 2 sports FJs in the last 4 shows. Don't spoil me Jeopardy!, or at least save some for whenever Bamaman or I gets on the show. I didn't instantly know this one, but Ruth seemed like the logical guess, and 1948 seemed about right for his death, though I didn't know he died that year off the top of my head. I'm guessing the 1974 was intended as a double hint, both to lead toward the year of his death, and also since that was the year Hank Aaron passed him, it would make sense that a biography would have been written that year.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The book was written by Robert Creamer. Very good read. Has anyone else read it?
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

bpmod wrote:
Sort of. I couldn't pull out the first name quickly enough. Knew it wasn't Carl, but that was all that was coming, so I figured I'd ring in and say "Reiner" and think of the first name in the time it took Alex to say BMS.
Much better response than my (non-buzzed even in imagination) "Stivik"
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Blanked on FJ! for my first miss of the year. I could probably tell you what you need to know to play a sport, but beyond that it's one of my weak categories. (I've heard of Babe Ruth but couldn't connect the dots.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ruth was an obvious precall, but with the game tonight, Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne would have made a good FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Hopefully I would have gotten credit for "cabinet" instead of "frappe" for the New England milkshake.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Bamaman wrote:The book was written by Robert Creamer. Very good read. Has anyone else read it?
Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Creamer is probably the most famous baseball biography. Ball Four by Jim Bouton, which is a personal memoir of one season, would probably nose ahead of it.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Leander wrote:Hopefully I would have gotten credit for "cabinet" instead of "frappe" for the New England milkshake.
I was surprised by the frappe answer, as I've never known them to speak franglais in New England. We use words like that in Canada due to all of our products having to have Qebecois (the language, as opposed to French, our official language) on the label. But it's usually in a derogatory way.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.