2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by Dr. J »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Considering my interest in tiaras, Dave Leach has suggested that we make this year's TOC a black-tie affair -- who's with us? I need to know if I should pack my gown...
I'm down. However, the fact that it will air before six in some places and after six in others will raise questions of whether the gentlemen should be wearing morning coats or dinner jackets.
Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Dr. J wrote: Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)
There are also two Jasons and two Patricks. If the field remains unchanged then setting up matches could be tough for TPTB.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

Dr. J wrote:Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)
Maybe a fez. Fezzes are cool.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

dmleach wrote:
There is a place where many smart people wear the fez: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pubquiz
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dmleach wrote:
There is a place where many smart people wear the fez: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pubquiz
Not as cool as this:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe HBomb will bring all of us back fezzes from Turkey.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

It's a shame Kris likely won't make it, because his blazing buzzer speed would have been an interesting variable in the TOC. Doubt he would have won it, but an upset would have been very possible.
sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

OOOO yes, yes, YES to fezzes! I will be wearing my tiara while I watch, I love the black tie idea, but Husband is not so much on board...it will take a little more persuasion, methinks... ;)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm all in favor of the TOC competitors agreeing to make it a black-tie affair, but on one very important condition. They need to make sure that one player is kept out of the loop, and therefore shows up woefully underdressed. Or conversely, 14 of the 15 competitors convince the other to show up in a tuxedo, with the promise that everyone else is planning to do the same. While 15 players in their finest attire would be cool to see, much more humor could be derived from either 1 or 14 contestants being dressed to the nines. :mrgreen:
JoshuaSianturi
Contributor

Post by JoshuaSianturi »

StevenH wrote:
Dr. J wrote: Good point, Dave. (BTW, there are several Dave/Davids in the TOC; do you have a nickname handy?). Heavens, if you have a morning coat, wear it! Or perhaps a velvet smoking jacket and ascot? :)
There are also two Jasons and two Patricks. If the field remains unchanged then setting up matches could be tough for TPTB.
what does TPTB stands for
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Powers That Be.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JoshuaSianturi wrote:
StevenH wrote:
what does TPTB stands for
"The powers that be" or those who make controlling decisions about the show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Agailn, The Glossary.

We really need a bigger link to that.

Hey, Andy, do the new members get some kind of welcome email detailing the rules of the board, how to send PMs, not to at all expect an initiation rite involving paddles, Wesson Oil, and a llama, and that kind of thing? Because if we do, we should add something about the glossary in there to give them a heads up so that we don't get asked all the time. If we don't, would it be feasible to give a welcome email whenever someone joins?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

JFanForever wrote:Recently, I've seen a string of a few champions, specifically Alistair and Kris, who, I thought, had potential for the Tournament but yet both are out.
Susan too, IMHO, though her wagering strategies left, ahem, something to be desired. (Insert mandatory Nichole self-Clavining reference here... it turns out she's a friend of a friend of mine.)

With that said, if my wagering strategies had been better in my first game, I'd be on a plane to LA this time next week as first alternate, at least as the standings are today. (But I suspect that spot may get usurped by Ashok -- we'll have to see tonight.)
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
JFanForever wrote:Recently, I've seen a string of a few champions, specifically Alistair and Kris, who, I thought, had potential for the Tournament but yet both are out.
Susan too, IMHO, though her wagering strategies left, ahem, something to be desired. (Insert mandatory Nichole self-Clavining reference here... it turns out she's a friend of a friend of mine.)

With that said, if my wagering strategies had been better in my first game, I'd be on a plane to LA this time next week as first alternate, at least as the standings are today. (But I suspect that spot may get usurped by Ashok -- we'll have to see tonight.)
I won enough that if I had gotten the FJ I lost on and then still lost to Alistair the next night (the world will never know how that would have gone :D ), I'd be in the first alternate spot. I'm sure there are plenty of two-time champions that could say the same thing (or three-time, or one-time, or people who barely lost, and so on), so I've tried not to play the what-ifs too much.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Ashok's fourth win on tonight's episode puts Francis Lansangan out of the TofC running and leaves only Patrick Morrison among three time champs still eligible without about three weeks of regular games to go before the Teen Tourney which is followed by the TofC.
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

legendneverdies wrote:Ashok's fourth win on tonight's episode puts Francis Lansangan out of the TofC running and leaves only Patrick Morrison among three time champs still eligible without about three weeks of regular games to go before the Teen Tourney which is followed by the TofC.
Oh so very very close ;)
abaggarly

Post by abaggarly »

Sportswriter misses "sports" question in FJ that probably would've gotten him into the TOC...

This might be a good time to mention that I HATE trampolines!

Good luck to everyone in the field. I'll enjoy every minute, as always.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

abaggarly wrote:Sportswriter misses "sports" question in FJ that probably would've gotten him into the TOC...

This might be a good time to mention that I HATE trampolines!

Good luck to everyone in the field. I'll enjoy every minute, as always.
Hey, Andrew! Too bad about the TOC, but I love your writing on the Gints, even though your book about the magical '10 WS directly competed with one written by a dear friend of mine. Any plans for a book on the '12 WS?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I find it interesting that none of the four-time champs have totals that would have made the cut for the last ToC. (Buddy Wright, with $88k over four wins, was #15 in 2011.)

Phillip Steele, Faith Love, Meredith Robbins, Sara Heard, Paul Wampler, and Anthony Fox are the only ones of the 43 post-doubling 4xers (I think I count correctly) not to make a ToC. Phillip, Faith, Meredith, and Anthony are the lowest earning 4xers (who lost their fifth games) since 2001 and couldn't have made any post-doubling ToC whose last qualifier was a 4xer, but Sara and Paul have the misfortune of their games occurring during the qualification period of the one ToC since 2001 that their scores weren't good enough for.

And now, with three regular games remaining for the ToC, a new champ crowned last night, and a four-win minimum for participating in this one, we can consider the field set; the most that could happen now is a 4x champ being held over until after the ToC is over.