The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

Post by billy pilgrim »

Experts seem to know more and more about less and less until eventually they know everything about nothing. These q's totally lost me- even in the NFL , where i thought i might do ok.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Only thing I knew in GoT was the Belfast fact, and I don't even recall if that was an answer or simply setting up the question about location shoots.
Guessed correctly twice on 'N'Sync.
I got one correct on the NFL. However, I outdid the expert on the sacks leaders. I knew two (DeMarcus Ware and Jason Pierre-Paul), which of course still would've been short of "correct."
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

billy pilgrim wrote:Experts seem to know more and more about less and less until eventually they know everything about nothing.
Love it - a very Vonnegut-esque quote, billy.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

We've posted quizzes with all-new questions in our Experts' fields. Think you know more than the Experts???

GAME OF THRONES
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all

*NSYNC

NFL
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Woo hoo! Over 10,000 views our first week!!!
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

I just read "Prisoner of Trebekistan," so I had a random guess on
Spoiler
Jane Espenson
that turned out to be right.

Good show, cool idea. Even though these were three weak topics for me, I liked the suspense and trying to guess along anyway.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

If you need someone for Saturday Night Live trivia from the 2000's on, let me know!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Watch this with closed captioning on, it is hilarious.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Episode 2 is up now! COEN BROTHERS vs. NOTORIOUS B.I.G. vs. 1565 SIEGE OF MALTA.

Some of you know Chris Ngoon, our MALTA expert, from TCONA, etc. I met him years ago at the Game Show Congress at the Beverly Garland when Jerome, Cliff Galiher, Eric Barela and I hung out in his hotel room and played Pyramid all afternoon.

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8q146GKOc
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I used to spend a lot of time on Malta, but not in the 1500's, alas.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Alan_B wrote:Episode 2 is up now! COEN BROTHERS vs. NOTORIOUS B.I.G. vs. 1565 SIEGE OF MALTA.

Some of you know Chris Ngoon, our MALTA expert, from TCONA, etc. I met him years ago at the Game Show Congress at the Beverly Garland when Jerome, Cliff Galiher, Eric Barela and I hung out in his hotel room and played Pyramid all afternoon.

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8q146GKOc
I'm going to bet I get ... maybe ... 5 total questions right ... maybe ...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:I'm going to bet I get ... maybe ... 5 total questions right ... maybe ...
That many?
I gotta admit- when I first heard the "topics" for the next show, I thought Alan was kidding. I'll watch, but will be surprised if I get more than a couple.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Another fantastic episode! Man I wish I could be a contestant.

I actually liked these categories A LOT more than last week's. Last week I didn't know a single answer the entire show but in this episode I knew several, and I think that I knew at least 3 that were used in each category. I'll admit that most of them were easier ones and didn't take an expert (I am far from an expert in those 3 categories).

Keep up the good work, Alan!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I hit my precall so I got one in the Coen Bros. Getting one in Malta and getting one that stumped the expert in Notorious were bonuses. The mix of contestants and their expertise make each week unpredictable. After one of the rounds it was fun to spot Alan on the tech sidelines.

I know little about YouTube and ads. Does it help to watch the ads in their entirety and not use the skip button? Do comments in each round add support or the most helpful is subscribing to the channel? What about "Like" for each clip? I am enjoying a game show each week so I want to do my part.

Thank you for putting all 10 of the extra questions for each category in one easier to watch batch.

Game play: Was there ever consideration to let other players steal points for knowing a missed answer by another player?
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

in the betting round, when do the players bet? I'm not sure if it's just being edited out or if they bet before anyone answers a question.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

So, did better than I thought. 4 In the Coen brothers.
Spoiler
Got Paul Bunyan babe from "knew it" and wood chipper and Steve Buscemi from educated guess and WAG respectively. Missed the 90/50/50 on Joel and Ethan on the very first question. My best get, though, was the ultimate question. Been a Laura Linney fan forever, and knew that was part of her resume.
2 in Malta,
Spoiler
Barbary Pirates and Maltese Falcon.
2 in Notorious BIG,
Spoiler
"Every Breath You Take" and WAG on Raleigh.
S0, 8. About twice what I thought.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:So, did better than I thought. 4 In the Coen brothers.
Spoiler
Got Paul Bunyan babe from "knew it" and wood chipper and Steve Buscemi from educated guess and WAG respectively. Missed the 90/50/50 on Joel and Ethan on the very first question. My best get, though, was the ultimate question. Been a Laura Linney fan forever, and knew that was part of her resume.
2 in Malta,
Spoiler
Barbary Pirates and Maltese Falcon.
2 in Notorious BIG,
Spoiler
"Every Breath You Take" and WAG on Raleigh.
S0, 8. About twice what I thought.
I thought the correct answer for the
Spoiler
TV version of Fargo was Edie Falco and that the contestant guessed Linney incorrectly. Was it the other way around?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

oh, crap, I just brain burped there - you have it right. I was going to mention the wrong/ correct answer then screwed up the edit when eliminating the wrong one.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Thanks for the enthusiasm, everybody! It's been fun putting this show together and even more fun getting it out into the world! You guys *get* us, and we are so grateful for that.

A few answers ---

YouTube probably likes it best when you watch the whole ad, but that's just a WAG because why wouldn't they? (I will say that I have to watch the same ads you do every time I post a clip or change it, so I'm really up on my YouTube ads these days. And some of them are pretty catchy, I have to say.)

BUT -- what I know for sure that YouTube FREAKING LOVES is when you take three actions --- Comment, Like, and Favorite. YouTube is all about *engagement* these days, and those actions are proof of engagement. Those numbers make a huge difference to us. And, of course, the very best thing you can do is SUBSCRIBE. YouTube goes ape over that.

About 4th round betting --- we actually taped a detailed explanation of that at our last taping after several people commented on YouTube with this same question (comments!!) and we're going to start inserting the more detailed version in the next couple of weeks. Players are told in the break between the 3rd and 4th rounds that they can bet any or all of their money AT THAT MOMENT, split any way they want between their 2 categories. (They must bet at least $1 on each category.) The players make this "Double Final Jeopardy" wager then and only then --- and it's a killer to work out the strategy. In Jeopardy, as you all know, you have to bet according to the math, not according to how you feel about the category. Here, people are definitely betting on how they feel about those 2 subcategories. Anyway, there is no stopping after their first subcategory has been played to let them make bets based on those standings --- we just push forward and let it all play out based on those original wagers. Which is brutal in a very delightful way.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Also --- thanks, Mark, for noticing we revamped the JUST FOR YOU questions. We tried to make the format more engaging and easier to play. Well, now we've just figured out a way to make them even easier and more engaging, and it'll take us a couple of weeks to get the format right, so we're probably going on hiatus with the questions for a little bit. (Nothing like working out the kinks in front of a live audience.) But we'll be back with them soon, better than ever!

As far as people getting involved in other people's fields, we talked about it at an earlier stage of development (this show has existed in one form or another for about three years, and it was in development at NBC for six months). We decided we could never make it fair because there are several fields --- Star Wars, for one --- where many, many experts in any field would have a good chance of knowing things whereas nobody is going to know the Siege of Malta. Or *NSYNC, for that matter.