Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by bpmod »

AdamAnt wrote:Hello all! Stumbled upon this site a good few months ago and finally decided to join. A little bit about me: As my username suggests, my name is Adam. Currently living in that great northern country called Canada and in my final semester studying radio broadcasting in college yay! Been watching Jeopardy! for quite some time, pretty much as long as I can remember. Earliest recollections were watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! at 7 and 7:30 PM on the local TV station before we had cable in the early/mid 90s. Only started watching the show a lot more consistantly this season and find it a fun, challenging and entertaining way to exercise my brain.
Welcome Adam!

What part of Ontario?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

Thanks for the welcome Brian! My family hails from the Greater Sudbury and French River area but I'm from the Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area about an hour west of Toronto.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Jason Shore. You may have seen me on your TV fairly recently. For those of you who DVR the show and skip the contestant blurbs during each show (as I do), I'm 26, a med student at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, a 2d Lt in the USAFR, and I am a proud graduate of Texas A&M University.

Without a doubt, the hardest part about being on Jeopardy was coming up with 5 good things for Alex to talk about. And then I had to think of another 4 for the ToC! I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel, trying to put something interesting. I lead a rather uneventful life.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Jasoni22 wrote:Jason Shore. You may have seen me on your TV fairly recently. For those of you who DVR the show and skip the contestant blurbs during each show (as I do), I'm 26, a med student at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, a 2d Lt in the USAFR, and I am a proud graduate of Texas A&M University.

Without a doubt, the hardest part about being on Jeopardy was coming up with 5 good things for Alex to talk about. And then I had to think of another 4 for the ToC! I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel, trying to put something interesting. I lead a rather uneventful life.
Just be glad you aren't Ken Jennings! :)

Welcome, always nice to have a contestant on here! (Well, you yet-to-bes are good too!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

dhkendall wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:Jason Shore. You may have seen me on your TV fairly recently. For those of you who DVR the show and skip the contestant blurbs during each show (as I do), I'm 26, a med student at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, a 2d Lt in the USAFR, and I am a proud graduate of Texas A&M University.

Just be glad you aren't Ken Jennings! :)

Welcome, always nice to have a contestant on here! (Well, you yet-to-bes are good too!)
I remember at least one Ken Jennings interview that started with Alex saying something like, "So, Ken, I hear something funny happened on the way in to the studio yesterday..."

Welcome, Jason!
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Welcome, Jason! Retro good luck for the rest of the ToC. :)

-a.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Welcome aboard, Jason.

(And, as a Bama alum, we welcome your school to a real football conference! :mrgreen: )
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And, as a Bama alum, we welcome your school to a real football conference! :mrgreen: )
And as a Gator alum, I second that. ;)
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Welcome to the board, Jasoni22. And I second Dave's post.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Heya, Sarah here, as you can guess from the username I'm a librarian. As you can't guess from the username I'm a Ph.D student on the side, wrapping up my coursework in Higher Ed administration. Eventually I'd like to be an academic library director. Aside from earning a very mediocre score on the written test of the college championships in the mid-90s (and meeting Alex at the audition), I've got no connection to the game aside from watching the day's DVR'd game religiously with my hubby over dinner. We're pretty evenly matched, and usually one if not both of us gets all but a couple clues on the average day. I've sort of been pondering dipping my toe back into the contestant pool after my dissertation, as being a college librarian is sort of like studying for the test 24/7. There's a reason you see a LOT of us college librarians on the show, relative to the overall population. Probably won't have much to say till I get a better feel for the place, but this seems like a fun gang of geeks. I look forward to getting to know all of you.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

econgator wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And, as a Bama alum, we welcome your school to a real football conference! :mrgreen: )
And as a Gator alum, I second that. ;)
We appreciate the welcome, and look forward to showing you how much we appreciate it by making a title run next year. We already showed Bama this past season, didn't we... :mrgreen:

A formal howdy to Jason, and congrats on a great showing. Loved having an Aggie in the TOC two years in a row.

Gig 'em,
Lisa '00 (B.S.) and '12 (Ph.D.)
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

lisa0012 wrote:We appreciate the welcome, and look forward to showing you how much we appreciate it by making a title run next year. We already showed Bama this past season, didn't we... :mrgreen:

A formal howdy to Jason, and congrats on a great showing. Loved having an Aggie in the TOC two years in a row.
Whoop! Thanks, Lisa! :D (And everyone else, too)
sunsheyen
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by sunsheyen »

Hey all,
My name is Janeen. I'm a Capricorn stay at home mom from Virginia. Some of my likes are speedy category choices, succinct personal stories, and high risk wagers. I dislike slow speakers, unfinished game boards, and condescending host moments. I think that completes the personal ad portion of my introduction. :D

I'm a longtime viewer of the show and recently got to see the whole contestant process up close when a relative went through it all. I can't wait until she airs late summer, but in the meantime, we watch religiously. I've been reading the board and archive for a few months, and we used them to bone up on wagering strategy.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

sunsheyen wrote:Hey all,
My name is Janeen. I'm a Capricorn stay at home mom from Virginia. Some of my likes are speedy category choices, succinct personal stories, and high risk wagers. I dislike slow speakers, unfinished game boards, and condescending host moments. I think that completes the personal ad portion of my introduction. :D

I'm a longtime viewer of the show and recently got to see the whole contestant process up close when a relative went through it all. I can't wait until she airs late summer, but in the meantime, we watch religiously. I've been reading the board and archive for a few months, and we used them to bone up on wagering strategy.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!
Welcome, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I'm confused by a late summer airing. To me late summer is September which would be the new season which cannot have taped games yet. So is it late spring or end of July/early August when the J! season ends?
sunsheyen

Post by sunsheyen »

End of July/start Aug...I think its the last week before hiatus. I consider it late summer since school starts in August. More mental than seasonal reasoning. :D
Quijote57

Post by Quijote57 »

Hi all. I'm Peter. I teach high school Spanish (thus the user name) and have been a fan of Jeopardy for about ten years. Some of my students once said I resemble Alex Trebek. Poor guy if he looks like me.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on the Trebek quote at the J!Archive site:
“Come on, people. Get a life.”
—Alex Trebek, when told about the J! Archive

This is more to Alex, but though he may not ever see this, I want to say it anyway. We don’t have extra money and don't really watch a lot of TV, so we depend on broadcast signals rather than cable or satellite. We live 15 or more moles from the station that carries the show. Ever since the government required DTV boxes, we get lousy reception when the weather is bad (snow or rain), so I depend on the J!Archive on those days when I can't watch the show. In the old days, I at least could hear the audio portion when the picture was bad, but the new digital broadcasts are terrible when it rains or snows. Now I get a pixilated picture and no sound at all. And with the finals of the Tournament of Champions coming this week, and another predicted snow storm here, I hope the archive gets updated so I know who wins.

Thank you to those dedicated fans who keep the archive going. Maybe if I ever get on the show and win I can justify spending a little more on TV equipment.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Quijote57 wrote:Hi all. I'm Peter. I teach high school Spanish (thus the user name) and have been a fan of Jeopardy for about ten years. Some of my students once said I resemble Alex Trebek. Poor guy if he looks like me.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on the Trebek quote at the J!Archive site:
“Come on, people. Get a life.”
—Alex Trebek, when told about the J! Archive

This is more to Alex, but though he may not ever see this, I want to say it anyway. We don’t have extra money and don't really watch a lot of TV, so we depend on broadcast signals rather than cable or satellite. We live 15 or more moles from the station that carries the show. Ever since the government required DTV boxes, we get lousy reception when the weather is bad (snow or rain), so I depend on the J!Archive on those days when I can't watch the show. In the old days, I at least could hear the audio portion when the picture was bad, but the new digital broadcasts are terrible when it rains or snows. Now I get a pixilated picture and no sound at all. And with the finals of the Tournament of Champions coming this week, and another predicted snow storm here, I hope the archive gets updated so I know who wins.

Thank you to those dedicated fans who keep the archive going. Maybe if I ever get on the show and win I can justify spending a little more on TV equipment.
And those moles don't help your reception either!

But I agree that the work the Archivists do here and on the J!Archive shows remarkable dedication and has earned our gratitude and appreciation.

Anyway, welcome to the board Peter. Good luck if you ever get on the show.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Re: My humble introduction

Post by MarkBarrett »

tagNV wrote:Let's do this.

Hello J! aficionados and trivia lovers, let me go ahead and formally introduce myself. My name is Todd Gross, I was born not far from where J! is now taped (Santa Monica) in March of 1964, the same month J! with Art Fleming and Don Pardo debuted on NBC. I do remember occasionally seeing the original show when school was on vacation or I was sick. I liked game shows well enough, but certainly didn't think in terms of appearing on one.

I was attending UC Berkeley when the current version of J! debuted in 1984 (no College Tournament back then). I remember testing for the show in the early years in the studio...and not passing the test. Since then, I've had 4 auditions, all different: one in Austin (my postcard was chosen), one in the J! studio (no, I didn't get to play a mock game behind an actual stand thing, the set was covered in plastic tarp), one at the infamous Culver City Radisson (from the online test), and the most recent at TCONA...really thought I wouldn't be able to audition when I missed the online test by mistake. The TCONA interview was my first with Maggie, so really glad for that.

As for the rest of my life...well, thanks to our own Rex Kramer, I took up the humble art of crossword construction about 3 years ago. And I've been lucky enough to get two published in the New York Times. The last was published the week WATSON was on the cover of the New York Times Magazine, which made for a great show and tell at the TCONA interview!

By the way, I just got a puzzle accepted at the Los Angeles Times, it's my first acceptance this year! :)

Anyone still reading this? Now for the less flattering stuff.

I am unemployed...actually, I'm on disability because I can't handle the stress of an ordinary job. I actually spend much of my day in bed avoiding the rest of the world. I had a while there where I was hallucinating pretty bad. I had no idea why it was happening, and wasn't sure if it meant I was losing my mind. At one point, I thought my purpose in life was to deliver a lecture on spirituality I'd "received" from some "higher source." I even thought I was supposed to deliver it naked, to show that I had nothing to hide.

Needless to say, none of this went on the J! application I filled out. ;) Good thing this isn't a Sony owned board.

There's more I could say...but really, don't you think I've said enough?

Peace out.

Congrats on the NYT crossword puzzle today. A friend was kind enough to share it with me. A Saturday puzzle is beyond my normal USA Today league, but I fought that sucker hard to get it solved other than a few letters wrong here and there. It didn't help that I knew more than one guy successful with numbered balls with 13 letters. It was very clever to have the puzzle with a round shape.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Quijote57 wrote:We don’t have extra money and don't really watch a lot of TV, so we depend on broadcast signals rather than cable or satellite. We live 15 or more moles from the station that carries the show. Ever since the government required DTV boxes, we get lousy reception when the weather is bad (snow or rain), so I depend on the J!Archive on those days when I can't watch the show. In the old days, I at least could hear the audio portion when the picture was bad, but the new digital broadcasts are terrible when it rains or snows.
First, let me say welcome Peter! Now let me say that I find this a little odd. I live 76 miles from the station which broadcasts Jeopardy!, and occasionally I get a bit of dropout in the signal. Digital broadcasts have made what used to be snowy pictures at the best of times perfect in all but the most adverse conditions. What are you using for an antenna? I would think at 15 miles or so, rabbit ears would probably be sufficient, but I don't think I'd trust them for watching Jeopardy!

From my experience, weather (other than high winds whipping the antenna around) has not been a factor in digital TV reception, although, that being said, what you are experiencing is the digital cliff. That is, the digital signal is either perfect or non-existant, no fading as the signal gets worse.

I could probably give you some pointers to improving your reception if you're interested.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Thanks Mark

Post by tagNV »

MarkBarrett:

I'm glad you gave my crossword a try, and I'm glad you seemed to enjoy the challenge. But did you have to repost my whole introduction there? Including the embarrassing part at the end?

:oops: :oops:

Since I'm here, I'll go ahead and mention I now have my own crossword blog, where I post some of my puzzles that didn't get published. My bio there is not nearly so, um, revealing as this one.