FJs for the 2/18/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 2/18/13 week?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Alphabetically, Zagreb is the last world capital; this capital of a former Soviet republic is second to last
50%
On the new list chosen in 2007, this wonder designed by Heitor da Silva Costa is the only statue
66%
The title of this 1959 instrumental is a synonym for "Time Out", the album on which it first appeared
78%
Launched October 1, 1928, it was brought to a premature end in 1932 amid growing hunger
42%
The Italian word for "shadow" is used as a local variation on the name of this region midway between Rome & Florence
44%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
11%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
4%
NONFICTION $1600: Her "Unbroken" was hailed by Time magazine as the best nonfiction book of 2010
18%
G.I. JOES $2000: Nicknamed "Vinegar Joe", he was commanding general of U.S. forces in China, Burma & India during WWII
16%
TRIOS $1600: Daniel 3 says Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego "were cast into the midst of the burning" this alliterative place
57%
"B" NICE $1000: Officially, it's the "B" in B.P.O.E.
45%

Total votes: 113

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 2/18/13 week

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen: :(

Got a stray syllable mixed up in Yerevan on Monday...still not sure where "Yatavan" came from...
Don't recall ever knowing the name of the statue...
Like others, I got stuck ruminating on "chiaroscuro" on Friday.

Misread Her "Unbroken" as looking for a woman's name as part of the title, not the author...Barely heard of Stillwell, and clueless about the org. being referred to.

At least I keep my streak of getting all the Soviet-related FJs...at least as far back as the dreaded "politically incorrect"...!
davey

Post by davey »

billy pilgrim wrote:Did anyone else think the Umbria clue was oddly worded? The 'local variation' language led me to thinking about something like the locals calling New Oreleans the big easy. I eventually got it , but the name of the place is Umbria local or no.
I believe the clue is saying that the region can be called "Ombra" locally though the official Italian name is "Umbria."
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

I thought the Umbria clue was funky as well-thought they were going for the local nickname at first. My DVR froze (and ultimately crashed) right after the FJ clue was revealed, so I'm giving myself credit for getting the answer, though I'm not positive it was within the 30 seconds (a few seconds of "what the hell is going on" thought processes came first).
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :(
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :( :(

My guess for Tuesday was "that big Jesus statue in Brazil," which I believe was the working title.
For Thursday, tried to think of something arty-cultural that might be drawn down in a time of recession, and all I could come up with was Bolshoi.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

Gee that was brutal. Umbria was the only thing that saved me from going 0 for 9.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

:( :( :( :(

Yesterday I went to an exhibit called "Our Global Kitchen" at the American Museum of Natural History. It was a fascinating look at the interplay between food and culture during human history. One small corner of the exhibit was a re-creation of a formal dining room (known as a "triclinium") in a villa of a prosperous individual in the ancient Roman empire. The plaque explained, in part, "If unexpected guests turned up, they sat just behind the reclining diners and were known as umbrae, or shadows." Yes, I took a photo of that plaque just so I would remember its words and be able to post them in this thread. :D

Well, anyway, my point is: why couldn't I have gone to that exhibit before I watched Friday's seminfinal match? :twisted: Umbria wasn't even popping into my mind during the think music; I wavered between Tuscany and Campania, even though I was pretty sure that neither of them fit the geographical description in the clue. Now, if I'd known that "umbrae" meant shadows" . . .

And on the previous semifinal, I was so close . . . I guessed "farm collective" (like others here, I would have thought that 5-year plan was a China thing only).

I knew who Laura Hillenbrand was (and had really enjoyed the film adaptation of Seabiscuit), and had heard of Unbroken when it came out, but sadly I'd long since forgotten about it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tuscany is between Rome & Florence but it doesn't fit the shadow part of the clue plus Florence is in the northern part of Tuscany.
earendel

Post by earendel »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm surprised that I've known all of the FJ! responses for the ToC - either they're getting easier or I'm getting smarter. The only question on the list I didn't get was the "Unbroken" author - never heard of her (or the book, for that matter).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Surprisingly Umbria has nothing to with Northumbria. And the ancient enemy of the Umbri... those darn Etruscans!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 61-54
Extras: 30-39
Teacher's 6-4
Teen 8-2
TOC: 2-6
Longest FJ winning streak: 7
Longest FJ losing streak: 6 (active 1)
5/5:1
4/5:4
3/5:8
2/5:6
1/5:4
0/5:0
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen: :(

I thought this was a pretty easy week of FJs, until I got to Thursday. I was also pretty surprised none of the three knew the fiery furnace. For the Elks one, I said brotherhood, but after it was missed on the show I realized the right answer before Alex said it. Not that that would have helped me if I was standing up there - I would have to have hoped I'd been beaten to it!