Thursday, February 28, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 28, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the revolutionary I blurted out Mercenary. Immediate neg or stop tape? Either way I counted it wrong. Collecting on Weems and Juan Carlos was easier.

A nod to the writers to get me in both movies and TV when I didn't know Bruce Almighty or (had the Red) John.

Hope Dean enjoys his $2000. He should have had the DD in Trains to make his monkey business on the last DD not matter.

Here's how bad I am on a category called The Universe. I looked at the clue and tried to figure out what Ceres and Eris were. Stars, moons and asteroids were the things I considered. I went with moons and in trying to find a buddy for them the response I wrote was The Earth's Moon. Fortunately, 2006 woke me up that something happened recently and I switched to Pluto. You almost had company Hammer.

After last night there was no suspense about Sara's wager. Congrats on the repeat. You had your DD correct and led entering FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:For the revolutionary I blurted out Mercenary. Immediate neg or stop tape?
My mom said the same thing.
MarkBarrett wrote:A nod to the writers to get me in both movies and TV when I didn't know Bruce Almighty or (had the Red) John.
I should've known Bruce Almighty since I just watched Film Brain review Evan Almighty.

Also, I wasn't sure if that waltz was Blue or Danube. Turns out it's both.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:For the revolutionary I blurted out Mercenary. Immediate neg or stop tape? Either way I counted it wrong. Collecting on Weems and Juan Carlos was easier.
I thought that whole clue could be problematic. Sure, that's the picture people have of a "revolutionary", thanks to pictures that they've seen in the news from places like the Middle East ... unless the first thing that pops into your mind when you hear "revolutionary" are the American soldier-citizens in the Revolutionary War, which of course look nothing like how Jeopardy! described them and are the "good guys".

</political rant>
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Darn, I thought FJ! was going to be about Ilya Bryzgalov.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know that was Juan Carlos. But since I have no idea who the prime minister of Spain is, he was worth a guess, especially with a DD looming down the column.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

skullturf wrote:Despite my earlier comments about being Canadian and not knowing a ton of US Senators, I got this one. Norm Coleman is the guy who was narrowly defeated by comedian turned politician Al Franken, so that's why I knew that name.
OMG, thank you. As soon as I saw the name, I said "Minnesota" without hesitation but when it was confirmed, I asked, "Why did I know that so confidently?" Now I know why.
lovemydolphins
Contributor

Post by lovemydolphins »

Instaget FJ!, I definitely thought it was more of Kids Week, or at least Teen Tournament, difficulty. My young sister got it instantly, too, yelling out the answer as soon as the clue was read.

Congrats again Sara! I really enjoy watching your games so far. I was rooting for you the entire time. Looking forward to yet another well-played game tomorrow! :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:For the revolutionary I blurted out Mercenary.
I said "reactionary". I agree with Mr. Kendall. Problematic clue.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Darn, I thought FJ! was going to be about Ilya Bryzgalov.
Good one, T.F.! I hadn't seen those comments before.

Oh, and Brian, how 'bout them Leafs?
OCSam
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So am I the only dumbass person who didn't get this FJ! right?
Apparently I was wrong in thinking this FJ might finally hit 100%.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that dippy is about 12 years old, maybe less, and does not live in the Northeast or on the West Coast.

Any chance of seeing that railroad DD on the poll? I could tell from Dean's face he had no shot at it. I was also rooting for a $400 DD wager on clue 60, and a get, and two 0 wagers in FJ, and a three-way tie, but...

Not sure Castile and Aragon was that much of a gimme. I'd bet it polls around 60%, not that I'm asking. More Lach Trash: Parson Weems, Sen. Coleman's state, and Juan Carlos. Feel like I should have had Kmart too, but neither Sears nor its partner is really on my radar. [Cue Rainman.]

Judges: Any chance of credit for reactionary instead of revolutionary? Nah, didn't think so. I also missed with Viennese for Blue Danube Waltz, and New Girl for The New Normal.

Nicely done, Sara! Looking forward to seeing a woman (you) continue to win.
In and out of the pool four times
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

reddpen wrote: Any chance of seeing that railroad DD on the poll?
More Lach Trash: Parson Weems
Ghosts of FJs past. Not sure what it says about me that missed FJs still stick out in my memory (and annoy me) years after the fact.
reddpen wrote:I'm gonna hazard a guess that dippy is about 12 years old, maybe less, and does not live in the Northeast or on the West Coast.
Trolls and ignorant fools are everywhere, even...coastal areas.
bulgin91
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bulgin91 »

HAHA, I thought the same thing.
billiej

Post by billiej »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:For the revolutionary I blurted out Mercenary.
I said "reactionary". I agree with Mr. Kendall. Problematic clue.
I also said "reactionary". I counted it wrong, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Minnesota, Juan Carlos and K-Mart. I said incendiary for the other one. Also had no clue on the Spain DD.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

opusthepenguin wrote:I said "reactionary". I agree with Mr. Kendall. Problematic clue.
reddpen wrote:Judges: Any chance of credit for reactionary instead of revolutionary?
billiej wrote:I also said "reactionary".
Make that four for "reactionary".
dhkendall wrote:I thought that whole clue could be problematic.
The entire category caught me off-guard as I was expecting the responses to be full* rhymes of "dictionary" (and I'm not sure there are any). At first, I thought that was also why Dean said "Now that I know how it works" when selecting the second clue in the category. After rewatching, I think he had just realized that he'd completely forgotten about the rhyming aspect of the category altogether.

*There seems to be some variation in definition of what constitutes a perfect or full rhyme. Here, I refer to two words having the same accented vowel and all sounds following (e.g. dictionary, pictionary). Some might argue that the "a" in dictionary is a secondary accent and therefore all words ending in "-ary" qualify as a rhyme. This seems to have been the principle applied by the Jeopardy! writers here.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Count another for mercenary.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:Count another for mercenary.
And another.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Good one, T.F.! I hadn't seen those comments before.

Oh, and Brian, how 'bout them Leafs?
How about them? There's no chance they'll be going away any time soon. They are (at least as of today) right in second-to-last place, which is where they've always said they want to be. They must be proud of their endeavour.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Here's a rundown of the possibilities on the DD bet.

On a side note, I didn't like his or Twila's FJ bets. He should have just bet to cover third and she should have bet it all.

I agree that Dean's FJ bet wasn't the greatest, and I don't think Twyla's was ideal, but I disagree that she should have bet it all. She did have exactly half of Sara's score, but with Dean just behind, I don't see any reason to expect a $0 wager from Sara. Her best wager, in my opinion, would have been $2,600, which could have worked out perfectly in two different ways. If all 3 players miss, Sara has $5,799 after making the MSB, and Twyla has $5,800. A good bet by Dean wins in this case, but as it turned out, he bet big, so Twyla would have been the winner.

Then consider if Dean had wagered $2,901, giving him $16,801 if right, which both covers Twyla's max score and covers the unlikely $0 wager by Sara. If he is wrong, he has $10,999, and what does Twyla have if she bets $2,600 and is right? $11,000, meaning that the $2,600 wager gives her a potential $1 victory on either a sole get or a triple stumper. Since Dean bet big, Twyla's $0 wager essentially served the same purpose as the $2,600 bet, as she wins on a triple stumper, and if either opponent responds correctly, she can't win anyway.

When I did the wagering calculation during the last break I also determined that Twyla's wager of $2,600 was perfect for a variety of reasons. It gave her the best chance at least not to finish last.

Sara has twice been a position going into FJ where a large wager was called for. To her credit she did so both times, and to her greater credit got both right (OK, they weren't the hardest FJs but she did get them both). As a result she has a Hall-of-Fame winnings total in only two games. Not a bad piece of work. Wonder how far she'll take this streak?

First round was one of the easiest in memory. I ran five categories and 28-0 overall.

And yeah, when wagering strategy was crucial in the late going, Dean flagged badly. Oh well.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

bpmod wrote:
marpocky wrote:Count another for mercenary.
And another.

Brian
And yet another. Glad I didn't have to deal with that category!