Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6555, 2013-03-01

CONTESTANTS
Melissa Leanza, a bookkeeper from Laguna Hills, California
Craig Sallinger, a government librarian from Washington, D.C.
Sara Garnett, a graduate student of zoology originally from Okemos, Michigan (whose 2-day cash winnings total $53,402)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, we're into March. Hey, if you want to impress your teachers and your fellow students, why not do what Sara has done--average over $26,000 for each of your victories on Jeopardy!? Craig and Melissa--they're looking pretty serious right now. They want to stop this young lady. Can they do it? We're about to find out. Good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round has one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOMOPHONIC PAIRS (5/5)
PRESIDENTIAL POOCHES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WITCH MOVIE? (5/5)
PLACES IN TEXAS, PLUS (3/5)
LINES (5/5)
HEY, "BERT" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sara: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Melissa: 8 R, 0 W
Craig: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Sara had $600, Craig had $400, and Melissa was at $800. Sara wagered $1,000.

PRESIDENTIAL POOCHES $800: Thomas Jefferson owned 2 briards that were a gift from this Frenchman
(Alex: Yeah, I guess you had to pick him, the only Frenchman that comes to mind when you think of the early days of our country.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sara: $3,200
Melissa: $2,200
Craig: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Melissa Leanza is from Laguna Hills, California. And your daughter appeared in last year's Teen Tournament, right?

Melissa: She was in last season's Teen Tournament. I like to say that I am a "second generation in reverse" Jeopardy! contestant.

Alex: That's pretty neat. How did she do?

Melissa: She did okay. It was a really good experience. She was the alternate the year before. And she came in, and she had a really good time, and now she's in her first year of college.

Alex: Well, that's important. Good.

Alex: Craig Sallinger from Washington, D.C. He's a government librarian who, when he was younger, I suppose, had problems with... bed-wetting.

Craig: I did. I did.

Alex: And your parents tried to cure you of this?

Craig: They did try to cure me. And they were very well-meaning, and at the time--this was 30-odd years ago--the most technologically advanced piece of equipment that would aid in that was this giant tabletop device, and they set it on top of the dresser. And it had some ridiculous name--the wheeler 2000 or something like that. And when it went off, you know, during an event--when it went off, it would make this horrible racket, and there was a strobe light that went on, and it sounded like an alarm going off. Everyone would rush into the room and wake me up, and, you know. And it eventually worked, but one time, my mom had left something in the stove, and so the smoke detector went off, and there was smoke billowing throughout the kitchen, but everyone came into my room--"Craig, Craig, wake up!" "It's not me. No, it's not me this time." And so...

Alex: That device is still in your bedroom, isn't it?

[Laughter]

Craig: Yes, yes. It's in a glass case.

Alex: [Laughing] Okay.

Alex: Sara Garnett--you are introduced on our program as a graduate student of zoology. Now, I know you spent a summer working at a zoo. Was that exciting for you? What did you do? What was your job?

Sara: Yeah. It was actually a couple summers. I was a teen zookeeper. It was a program they had where you would go in and kind of tag along with a zookeeper for a couple of hours, help them do their tasks. So, every now and then, I would do something exciting, like help give a meerkat a shot, but mostly, I just shoveled a lot of poop.

[Laughter]

Alex: Hasn't this been an interesting discussion? We got shoveling poop and--well, we won't even go there anymore.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLACES IN TEXAS, PLUS $200: It's the seat of Ector County & in a novel the name of an organization for ex-Nazis with a "file" on it
(Craig: What is IPCRESS?)
(Alex: What is [*]? The [*] File.)

PLACES IN TEXAS, PLUS $1000: It's an Air Force base & a nickname of England's property-poor King John
(Alex: He was known as John [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sara: $7,000
Melissa: $4,600
Craig: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE E.U. COUNTRY THAT... (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"NU" DIRECTIONS (5/5)
CONTEMPORARIES (5/5)
WINGS (5/5)
DRUMSTICKS (4/5)
CHICKEN PARTS (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: All kinds of ....)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Craig: 15 R (including 2 rebounds), 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Sara: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Melissa: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Craig snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sara had $8,200, Craig had $4,000, and Melissa was at $4,600. Craig wagered $2,500.

THE E.U. COUNTRY THAT... $1600: Has a territory just off Canada, even though it's 1,300 miles away
(Craig: What is France?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Craig who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Sara had $11,800, Craig had $13,500, and Melissa was at $6,600. Craig wagered $2,500.

CHICKEN PARTS $2000: The character "judgement of" this second son of Priam was that he was a coward during the Trojan War
(Craig: Who is ... )
(Ale: Say something.)
(Craig: No.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE E.U. COUNTRY THAT... $2000: You'd visit to ski Kitzbuhel
(Craig: What is Switzerland?)

DRUMSTICKS $2000: Seen here, he made history in 1927 by being the first drummer to use a full kit on a recording
(Craig: Who is Buddy Rich?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sara: $11,800
Craig: $11,000
Melissa: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sara: Wager $10,201 to cover Craig.
Craig: You have to wager $2,201 to cover Melissa's doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,399, so as to force Melissa to be right to have a chance at winning.
Melissa: Consider risking between $4,401 and $4,999. This will top a $0 wager by Craig while still beating Sara on the Triple Stumper (should Sara wager to cover Craig's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1938 his company began installing instruments in U.S. homes to record the frequencies to which a radio was tuned

FINAL SCORES
Melissa: $6,600 - $6,000 = $600 (Who is Sarnoff) (3rd place: $1,000)
Craig: $11,000 + $10,998 = $21,998 (Who is Nielsen?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sara: $11,800 + $10,201 = $22,001 (Who is Nielsen?) (3-day champion: $75,403)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Craig: $16,000, 23 R, 8 W (including 2 DDs)
Sara: $11,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Melissa: $6,600, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Craig: 24/60 = .400
Sara: 19/59 = .322
Melissa: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PRESIDENTIAL POOCHES $200: In the early 1860's, his dog Fido became the first presidential dog to be photographed

LINES $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reads the clue from the American Red Cross in New Orleans Louisiana.) The Southeast Louisiana chapter of the Red Cross was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. The height of the tile trim on the Memorial Wall denotes this

LINES $600: This conduit carries oil about 800 miles from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez Harbor
(Melissa: What is a pipeline?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Melissa: What is [*]?)

LINES $1000: In Monteverde & Puntarenas in this country you can zip line through cloud & rainforest canopies
(Sara: What is Brazil?)
(Alex: [*] is the country.)

PLACES IN TEXAS, PLUS $600: It's southeast of Amarillo; a person in this job passes the bull with a muleta; Olé!
(Craig: What is Torriador?)

THE E.U. COUNTRY THAT... $800: Is bordered on the north by the Baltic Sea & separated from Germany by the Oder River
(Craig: What is Denmark?)

CONTEMPORARIES $1200: While Baron Munchhausen was lying about his exploits, this Italian was exploiting his lying around
(Craig: Who is Don Giovanni?)

DRUMSTICKS $800: Jason, the son of this man, wielded the drumsticks for a Led Zeppelin reunion at a 1988 concert
(Melissa: Who is Jason Bonham?)

CHICKEN PARTS $1200: In the title of a novel about "The Assassination Of Jesse James", author Ron Hansen called this man a coward
(Sara: Who is Pat Garrett?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
LaFayette
Odessa
Lackland
Denmark
Paris
Austria
Gene Krupa
A.C. Nielsen
Abraham Lincoln
the floodline (waterline)
the Alaskan Pipeline
Costa Rica
Matador
Poland
Casanova
John Bonham
Robert Ford
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Didn't get to see most of the game because POTUS was on TV blaming everybody but himself for the current situation.

Congrats on a third win.

A win is a win regardless of how stupid your competitor is when he hands you a 5-figure gift. Pretty amazing actually how few players know how to strategically play the game.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Business History
In 1938 his company began installing instruments in U.S. homes to record the frequencies to which a radio was tuned.

Spoiler
Who is A.C. Nielsen? Melissa said Sarnoff.

Sara Garnett: $11,800+$10,201=$22,001...now a 3-day champion with $75,403
Craig Sallinger: $11,000+$10,998=$21,998
Melissa Leanza: $6,600-$6,000=$600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did they put something in the water for the middle podium that makes you lose all sense when making a last clue DD bet? And then bet way too big on FJ. I was glad for him making the comeback from being in the red, then he blows it all with one bad bet.

Started out with Marconi, then changed to the right guy at the last second, assuming they'd take my spelling of Nielson.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Sara lucks out again with other contestants' last second DD misses, plus a bad bet by Craig. I felt bad for him on the EU DD miss, since France does have territories off Canada ( St Pierre & Miquelon), but Wikipedia tells me they are further than 1300 miles away. I wonder if he was going for them or if it was just a wild guess?

Not an instaget on FJ, but got the answer pretty quickly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think he was just making the connection between Canada and France or else was just a wild guess.

A bad bet on his part, but wagering strategy is part of the game and he failed at that. He had a bigger lead than what was left on the board.

But congrats to Sara for another big win!!!!!
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Leander wrote:Sara lucks out again with other contestants' last second DD misses, plus a bad bet by Craig. I felt bad for him on the EU DD miss, since France does have territories off Canada ( St Pierre & Miquelon), but Wikipedia tells me they are further than 1300 miles away. I wonder if he was going for them or if it was just a wild guess?

Not an instaget on FJ, but got the answer pretty quickly.
He was going for those; at one point they stopped play so the judges could check on it and he confirmed that. Since the clue gave a distance that doesn't apply to those territories, they weren't able to accept it.

Thanks!
Leander

Post by Leander »

Sara, thanks for the insight.

Despite needing a little luck, you're a very impressive player. Hope we see you for at least a few more games.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That Odessa clue (Places in Texas for $200) has to be one of the most obscure $200s I've ever seen.

Overall, that whole Texas category was a mess, with obscure towns like Tuxedo, Toreador, and Lackland. The Temple clue was the only good one IMO — a somewhat well-known town and a good, easily accessible TOM.

Nielsen? Nah, they never would've done anything with radio. I bet it's someone totally obscure. Leaving it blank.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

LTaM to go, you've got a small lead, but you keep diving towards the bottom of the category!?

LTaM to go, big lead, hit the DD...and not only do you not bet the minimum, you bet yourself out of the lead?!? I hate to root against contestants, but such poor play must be punished.

Anyway, congrats on the 3rd win Sara!
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Bad wagering and too many negs cost Craig the game.

I got FJ after a few seconds. My thought process: Why would someone want to measure radio frequencies in homes? To know what people are listening to -- which then led immediately to Nielsen.
gsn93
Contributor

Post by gsn93 »

Pretty good show all around. I nearly ran most of the categories -- only missed a few of the higher amounts. I think I even got all the finals right this week (might have to check later). Congrats on the win, Sara.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote:LTaM to go, you've got a small lead, but you keep diving towards the bottom of the category!?

LTaM to go, big lead, hit the DD...and not only do you not bet the minimum, you bet yourself out of the lead?!? I hate to root against contestants, but such poor play must be punished.

Anyway, congrats on the 3rd win Sara!
I don't blame him for going to the bottom part with a DD left, you don't want Sara finding it. But I agree bad bets like he made should be punished by the Jeopardy gods.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Some selective editing from Craig on limiting his negs or a logical DD wager changes the game, but I'm a little glad it didn't work out that way. The Jeopardy Gods can be just. He had a great sense of buzzer timing but the wagers were unforgivable on the DD and FJ fronts.

Sara's three day total is strong.

FJ was another extremely simple clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can we put that Odessa clue in the poll? I want to see if anyone got it.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Leaving it blank.
OK, admit it, you're purposely trying to p*#$ us off.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can we put that Odessa clue in the poll? I want to see if anyone got it.
You are kidding, right?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

billiej wrote:
I think it's time for most of us to add TPH to the ignore list. Before this gets out of hand again.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Can we put that Odessa clue in the poll? I want to see if anyone got it.
You are kidding, right?

Brian
No, I'm not. I've never heard of any of the stuff in that clue before. Clearly "Odessa File" is not common J! knowledge, as it gets only 3 hits in the archive, the latest being 1998.
billiej wrote:
No, I figured it would've been about as correct as if I had put "Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz.", seeing as I never knew Nielsen had anything to do with radio.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.