Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by reddpen »

southsidehitman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks Alex for making me feel worse about guessing Napoleon a half second before Lafayette came to me. I had another first instinct/want it back immediately miss in the DJ round with BuddyRich$%&#GeneKrupa.
I clammed on that one, even after Buddy Rich, thinking that the correct response would have been Max Roach and not Krupa. Instincts served me well there again, as usual. Should listen to those more often!
Max Roach was African American.

Another St. Pierre & Miquelon miss here. That was not a well-crafted clue.

TPH, the last graf of your first post is either a case study in how to fail at FJ, or the brilliant culmination of a years-long prank at the board's expense. I'm betting on the former, but jeeeeez.

NHO of Bock's Car before -- too bad that didn't get on the poll, so AP could have another sole solve.
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:NHO of Bock's Car before -- too bad that didn't get on the poll, so AP could have another sole solve.
Wouldn't even have been close to a sole solve. I'm shocked you haven't heard of it -- I'd've called it common knowledge for this crowd.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote: True, very odd, but a humorous story. And, except for the fire alarm part, it was something I remember all too well from my youth. (Didn't know the alarm machine was "state of the art", I didn't exactly come from a well-to-do family ..)
I'm not familiar with this type of device. How exactly would it detect an event? I assume there would be some sort of sensor, but where would it go and what would trigger it? Don't look at me like that...I'm just asking for a friend. ;)
I can answer this, being from a household where a bedwetter lived. I don't know if our machine was the same as described, but it basically had two screens (for lack of a better word) separated by a sheet of fabric. If any conductive liquid were to pass through them, it would close the circuit and electrocute the unsuspecting set off the alarm. Just like in Craig's story, in our house it would awaken everybody except the 'perpetrator', who continued on in peaceful slumber while all hell broke loose around him.

Brian
Brian's pretty much nailed it. And I was, and remain, a sound sleeper. (Maybe there's a correlation there to soundness of sleeping and bedwetting, which would make the alarm a bad idea ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
reddpen wrote:NHO of Bock's Car before -- too bad that didn't get on the poll, so AP could have another sole solve.
Wouldn't even have been close to a sole solve. I'm shocked you haven't heard of it -- I'd've called it common knowledge for this crowd.
I don't know if I've ever put this knowledge to use before, but I've been able to remember that one because of a puzzle in Games Magazine from probably around 15 years ago. I don't remember the exact wording, but it asked for a plane that dropped an atomic bomb on Japan, and I naturally filled in Enola Gay, only to later discover that those letters did not work out, leading to the eventual discovery that the other plane that dropped a bomb on Japan just happened to fit the same letter pattern (5,3). The same puzzle also asked for the capital of Georgia, and had some hint indicating that the same vowel appeared 3 times in the answer, so naturally I filled in Atlanta, later to be met with yet another rude awakening.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

reddpen wrote:TPH, the last graf of your first post is either a case study in how to fail at FJ, or the brilliant culmination of a years-long prank at the board's expense. I'm betting on the former, but jeeeeez.
Do any of YOU put down an answer that every single cell in your body is screaming "no, that's absolutely friggin' wrong, don't you dare put it down"?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
reddpen wrote:TPH, the last graf of your first post is either a case study in how to fail at FJ, or the brilliant culmination of a years-long prank at the board's expense. I'm betting on the former, but jeeeeez.
Do any of YOU put down an answer that every single cell in your body is screaming "no, that's absolutely friggin' wrong, don't you dare put it down"?
Our bodies' cells don't scream like that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
If I can't come up with anything better, you're darn tootin'.

edit: What does it matter anyway? It's not like it's getting televised nationally if you're hugely, embarrassingly wrong. If your FJ clams are responses that you can't bring yourself to say aloud because you're watching with your family and you don't want to be ridiculed, that's one thing, but I've never gotten that impression from your posts.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Would it surprise you to learn that there is no penalty for an incorrect guess in Final Jeopardy? So if no better alternative occurs to you, then you should feel free to put down the first thing that pops into your head, even if you have little to no confidence that it will be correct.

I feel like maybe people have given you similar advice in the past, so maybe this will help it get through:

Would it surprise you to learn that there is no penalty for an incorrect guess in Final Jeopardy? So if no better alternative occurs to you, then you should feel free to put down the first thing that pops into your head, even if you have little to no confidence that it will be correct.

That will probably still have little effect. Maybe hearing it from a friendly face will help the message sink in?

Okay, I'll shut up now. I'll leave the "beating a dead horse" jokes for others to have fun with.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:Would it surprise you to learn that there is no penalty for an incorrect guess in Final Jeopardy?
Especially if you're playing along at home. There's no penalty for any guess. (Case in point. My lowest Coryat ever was 3,200 (on January 13, 2009 - also my very first day of tracking Coryats. I'd like to think this isn't a coincidence. What did I get from it? Numbers on a spreadsheet. That's it. Oh, and knowledge to help me do better next time. (I'm kind of curious to see what I'd do if that episode aired again today.))
jeff6286 wrote:Image
Inspired. :) However, we may be underestimating him, he may be more of a Fluttershy person and wants Rarity killed off ... (I take great pride in that I had to use TinEye to find out the name of that pony in the picture.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

reddpen wrote:
southsidehitman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks Alex for making me feel worse about guessing Napoleon a half second before Lafayette came to me. I had another first instinct/want it back immediately miss in the DJ round with BuddyRich$%&#GeneKrupa.
I clammed on that one, even after Buddy Rich, thinking that the correct response would have been Max Roach and not Krupa. Instincts served me well there again, as usual. Should listen to those more often!
Max Roach was African American.
I actually had no idea. I listen to a lot of the old greats but don't even know what some of them look like!
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
bpmod wrote:And while we're on the subject, why can't you take a picture of an arrogant jerk with a wooden leg?
Hmm. You've got me stumped.
That's a lame joke.

Apropos of nothing, i saw a 3-legged cat today. He didn't have a wooden leg.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:
bpmod wrote:And while we're on the subject, why can't you take a picture of an arrogant jerk with a wooden leg?
Hmm. You've got me stumped.
That's a lame joke.

Apropos of nothing, i saw a 3-legged cat today. He didn't have a wooden leg.
But did you take a picture?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hammer: Look at the previous posts by those who missed it. They had someone guessed even though wrong. Marconi? Not right, but at least he's a radio guy. Edison? Fine. Others have shared where they went wrong and it happens every night. We don't jump all over them. It happens to everyone. You could have guessed Einstein and no one would have batted an eye. He was around in the 1930s and did stuff.

It's you who drives us CUCKOO with the posts about having the correct answer and then going with the blank nothing. It's very simple. Take a piece of paper each night. During the 30 seconds write down anything that comes to you. In the last five seconds cross off everything but one.

Your solve percentage will go up. If you only have one thought come to you then that is your guess. If you talk yourself out of a correct response for a wrong one that is fine. All of us have done it. It's talking yourself out of a correct response for zip, zero, nada, zilch that has to stop.

Give us a final guess each night. That is your goal for 3/4 - 3/8. You can name a person, you can name a place, you can name a thing. Please. For five nights try it. If you go 0/5, you go 0/5. Just not the right thing to the nothing. No more.

We're rooting for you to have more green smiley faces each week especially when the opportunity is there.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Why did the man with the wooden leg play golf?

He wanted to improve his handicap.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:Apropos of nothing, i saw a 3-legged cat today. He didn't have a wooden leg.
Not a three-legged man with a two-legged woman being chased by a one-legged fool?
Spoiler
Although that leg you meant to take was wooden, in the dark, by mistake you took my good'un.
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:Why did the man with the wooden leg play golf?

He wanted to improve his handicap.
I once saw a guy playing golf with a wooden leg. I told him he would probably score better if he used golf clubs instead.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer: Look at the previous posts by those who missed it. They had someone guessed even though wrong. Marconi? Not right, but at least he's a radio guy. Edison? Fine. Others have shared where they went wrong and it happens every night. We don't jump all over them. It happens to everyone. You could have guessed Einstein and no one would have batted an eye. He was around in the 1930s and did stuff.
I don't think I've ever seen it happen even once here that somebody made fun of someone else's incorrect FJ guess. Perhaps a gentle explanation of why it couldn't have been right (with the intention to educate), but never mockery.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
If I have nothing else? Absolutely. Because even the stupidest response (and I've had plenty of those) has a better chance of being correct than a blank.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've had over 9000 instances of blurting something out confidently, only to realize I misread the clue or got two pieces of info conflated. And that's why I clam about 50 times per game. Once bitten, 9001 times shy.
dhkendall wrote:Inspired. :) However, we may be underestimating him, he may be more of a Fluttershy person and wants Rarity killed off ... (I take great pride in that I had to use TinEye to find out the name of that pony in the picture.)
I don't want anypony killed off, except maybe Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Generic cardboard bullies.

…I am such a brony.
bpmod wrote:
Vanya wrote:Apropos of nothing, i saw a 3-legged cat today. He didn't have a wooden leg.
Not a three-legged man with a two-legged woman being chased by a one-legged fool?
Spoiler
Although that leg you meant to take was wooden, in the dark, by mistake you took my good'un.
Brian
Shel Silverstein FTW. (Although I first heard that song when Ray Stevens cut it.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Do any of YOU put down an answer that every single cell in your body is screaming "no, that's absolutely friggin' wrong, don't you dare put it down"?
Yes! Absolutely!

I have a little rule for myself. When I play along at home, I make myself write down something for Final Jeopardy. No matter how lost or clueless I am, I write something down, no matter how silly it is, or how much of a stab in the dark it is.

Sure, some wrong answers might look embarrassing after the fact. But it cannot be stressed enough: as far as gameplay is concerned, there is literally nothing worse than a blank response for FJ.

Let me share some of my embarrassing wrong responses from recent weeks.

January 21st, category "Museums". "Opened in 2012, the Belfast museum seen here commemorates this, also constructed there." I was really kicking myself afterward with this one. For some reason, I couldn't make the leap from the word "constructed" to a vehicle of some kind that wouldn't necessarily stay in Belfast forever. My brain wouldn't make that "leap" and I was stuck on castles, fortresses, walls, monuments, etc. What I actually wrote down was "The Pale" because I think that was the name of some kind of wall or barrier or something like that separating Northern Ireland from the rest of Ireland. (I have no idea how accurate that is, but it was a vague notion in my head at the time.)

January 31st, category "Fundraising". "In 2011 the city of Savannah granted an exemption allowing the sale of these items outside Juliette Gordon Low's birthplace." There was a crucial gap in my factual knowledge: I didn't know who Juliette Gordon Low was. I knew that probably if I knew who she was, that would likely make the question easy, but I simply didn't know. So I quickly thought to myself, "Geez, why would there be an item that's sold in some places but not in others?" All I could think of was an item that's controversial for some reason. So, for lack of anything better, I wrote down "Confederate Flags". Which makes no sense for several reasons. For one, they're not associated with fundraising.

The point is, writing down something silly, that only vaguely fits part of the clue, but doesn't really make sense when you consider the larger context, is still better than leaving it blank. Writing down something silly, fully expecting it to be wrong, is no worse than leaving it blank. My two wild guesses given above, silly and wrongheaded as they were, at least were the names of real things that existed, meaning that there was some kind of tiny infinitesimal chance that they could be correct. Whereas a blank answer is unequivocally, unmistakably, undisputably guaranteed to be wrong.