Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Colleges & Universities
One of its mascots is a restored 1930s sport coupe that's been in use at the school since 1961.

Spoiler
What is Georgia Tech? Erin said MIT; Dylan said Michigan; Erin said Western Michigan.

Sara Garnett: $13,200-$9,201=$3,999
Dylan Wint: $11,200-$4,001=$7,199...now a 1-day champion with $7,199
Erin Schmidt: $8,800-$5,000=$3,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was an instaget FJ for me, but I was not surprised it was a TS on the show. Given his timid DD bets, not surprised Dylan didn't cover third in FJ.

Sorry to see Sara go, now she has a long wait to sweat out a TOC spot.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I haven't seen the show yet but was spoiled on the FJ question by reading the NY Times this morning with their daily FJ preview, which I try to avoid but it was staring me in the face. Had to think a bit and took an educated guess, and I was right.

Not surprised it was a triple stumper - I'll be curious to see how people here do.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A tech college (not a particular one, just the concept) entered my mind and dismissed it. As soon as he said "Rambling Wreck from .... " I knew I should have thought harder. (I put down University of Detroit for something to put down - eh, why do I bother?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

dhkendall wrote:A tech college (not a particular one, just the concept) entered my mind and dismissed it. As soon as he said "Rambling Wreck from .... " I knew I should have thought harder. (I put down University of Detroit for something to put down - eh, why do I bother?)
Yeah, from what I remember of the post-game chat, that was Erin's rationale (and Dylan went with your other line of thinking, trying to make a connection between the state of Michigan and cars). I usually do well in this category when I play along at home, but clearly this particular fact wasn't something I knew well! When I couldn't come up with a school with a car as its primary mascot, I tried to think of ways a car could be related to the primary mascot (turns out this wasn't the case, but I had to think of something). The only thing I could think of at the time was a mustang, so I went with the first horse mascot I could come up with. Given my location, that school is Western Michigan. As I was writing it, I was thinking that (a) Western will probably never be a FJ answer and (b) they're technically broncos, not mustangs, but I didn't have anything better. One of my good friends in my department is a Tech alum, so I'm interested in her reaction.
Bamaman wrote:It was an instaget FJ for me, but I was not surprised it was a TS on the show. Given his timid DD bets, not surprised Dylan didn't cover third in FJ.

Sorry to see Sara go, now she has a long wait to sweat out a TOC spot.
I'll probably most likely end up in a Patrick Morrison situation (or out a few slots earlier), but it'll all depend on tournament timing and what kind of streaks people get on. Like probably everyone on Jeopardy!, I would've loved to play at least one more game, but I certainly can't complain about the experience.

Thanks to everyone for the support! I heard a little bit about what happened in some later games this week back at the hotel, but I'm looking forward to seeing it all play out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought I'd run Shopping, but the two uppity ones (Ann Taylor and Bergdorf Goodman) tripped me up.

Austria has states?

Essay means to "try"? Since when?

Not a guess on FJ! I've heard the "rambling wreck" line a lot, but never thought that it was literal.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget FJ.

Great run, Sara. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of you!
TenPoundHammer wrote:Essay means to "try"? Since when?
Since always. It's French for "to try" (essayer).
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Not much chance on FJ. I also said University of Detroit as a WAG.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Even if Georgia Tech came to mind, I'd have thought "Yellow Jackets - nope", and I'm not even sure I would've made the 'Ramblin Wreck' -> 'restored 1930s car' connection in time. *shrug* I seem to struggle with other people's instagets recently, so we'll see. Me, I tried to remember who the Racers were, then blurted out Purdue (yeah, I know) just to have an answer.

Sorry to see it end like this Sara. I'm curious, considering his painfully small DD wagers (and of COURSE he found them all....arrggggghhh), did you consider making less than the MSB?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:When I couldn't come up with a school with a car as its primary mascot, I tried to think of ways a car could be related to the primary mascot (turns out this wasn't the case, but I had to think of something). The only thing I could think of at the time was a mustang, so I went with the first horse mascot I could come up with. Given my location, that school is Western Michigan.
I didn't get this FJ either. I actually tried to think of "mustangs" as well! Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any colleges whose mascots are called the Mustangs!

Panicking, I wrote down "What is Texas" just to write down something, even though I know they're the Longhorns. (Horses, cattle, big mammals? I dunno, what can you do?)

EDIT: I guess on some level, I also thought "Might as well pick a reasonably large or well-known school, just in case I'm correct by a total fluke."
Last edited by skullturf on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Me, I tried to remember who the Racers were
Murray State
skullturf wrote:Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any colleges whose mascots are called the Mustangs!
SMU!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I thought of "Ramblin' Wreck" mere seconds before Alex actually said it. Which is obviously too late to count. Blah. :(
econgator wrote:SMU!
Haha... that's actually what I said because I couldn't think of anything else.
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Me, I tried to remember who the Racers were
Murray State
skullturf wrote:Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any colleges whose mascots are called the Mustangs!
SMU!
Managed to draw a blank on both of those (and I'm a huge college basketball fan, honest!), hence why I ended up with such an awful answer. If this gets above 60% in the poll, I'll just have to write it off as one of those "random fact most people know jumps up and bites me in the ass" moments :lol:
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
SMU!
Heh, I wonder if part of my brain knew that there were Mustangs somewhere in the state of Texas. Oh well.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Being from Dallas, the first thing I thought of was "Mustangs," but realized that car wasn't invented until the 60's. Then I tried to think of other colleges with a mascot that was also a car. I thought of "Jaguars," but the only school I could think of with that name was South Alabama, so I knew that was probably too obscure. Finally, I settled on BYU because of its "Cougar" mascot, although I knew it probably wasn't right. You could've given me all day and I would not have come up with Georgia Tech, since, as alluded to by another poster, I think of them as the "Yellowjackets."

Anarchism for Anarchy? Judges?
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

thenextofken wrote:Anarchism for Anarchy? Judges?
I said "Anarchism" at home and gave myself the credit. I sort of felt like they wanted an "-ism", but I could be wrong.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I dislike FJ, I dislike the absurdly conservative DD wagers from Dylan, and I dislike that Sara lost.

I would be surprised if that FJ comes in over 40%. That's really rough.

Fun game otherwise.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

I spent three semesters there, so FJ! was an instaget.