Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman »

I think you should start a show like that.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Allan Calhamer, inventor of Diplomacy, passed away:

http://lagrange.suntimes.com/news/18568 ... at-81.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My new favorite website shows where the ISS is:

http://iss.astroviewer.net/index2.php
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

omg, thanks-- ever since heavens-above stopped working, I haven't had an ISS viewing. Been over a year now! I used to be able to catch either ISS or an awesome iridium flare every week or so. (Mostly the flares, which only last a few seconds. But if you can see one, it's amazing. Especially those -7/ -8 ones!)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Paucle wrote:omg, thanks-- ever since heavens-above stopped working, I haven't had an ISS viewing. Been over a year now! I used to be able to catch either ISS or an awesome iridium flare every week or so. (Mostly the flares, which only last a few seconds. But if you can see one, it's amazing. Especially those -7/ -8 ones!)
I haven't used Heavens Above in a while. It seems to work if I manually input a latitude and longitude. Is there something else wrong with it I'm not noticing?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I get a 404. Been getting that since... oh, probably Xmas 2011. Has the address changed?
ETA: Never mind- found the problem. Duh.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'll take Stuff I did not know about famous people for $200, Alex.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_01_31/Russi ... its-B-Day/
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Vanya wrote:I'll take Stuff I did not know about famous people for $200, Alex.

\

Cool!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Vanya wrote:I'll take Stuff I did not know about famous people for $200, Alex.

I know I celebrated that event but the details are now a little fuzzy.
OCSam
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

This is why the world needs good copy editors. From the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog: "From western Montgomery county, western Fairfax county, northwest Prince William county and northern Fauquier county, west towards the Blue Ridge, most precipitation should fall as snow. 6-12 inches of snow are favored, with locally higher amounts above 1,000 feet." (Now that's a lot of snow!)
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

georgespelvin wrote:A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

This is why the world needs good copy editors. From the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang blog: "From western Montgomery county, western Fairfax county, northwest Prince William county and northern Fauquier county, west towards the Blue Ridge, most precipitation should fall as snow. 6-12 inches of snow are favored, with locally higher amounts above 1,000 feet." (Now that's a lot of snow!)
Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow? I don't know how close the Blue Ridge Mountains come to DC, or if Blue Ridge is an area unrelated to the mountain range, but saying that areas above 1,000 feet could get more than a foot of snow, that seems like it could be possible.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

jeff6286 wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook pointing out the following in a weather forecast from the Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang":

Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow? I don't know how close the Blue Ridge Mountains come to DC, or if Blue Ridge is an area unrelated to the mountain range, but saying that areas above 1,000 feet could get more than a foot of snow, that seems like it could be possible.

Maybe what the world really needs is copy editors for people who write about other editors' mistakes
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:Is it possible the 1,000 feet is referring to elevation, not amount of snow?
Yes, if you lived in a mountainous area you wouldn't even blink when you read that. Snow levels quoted in feet above sea level are commonplace.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

jeff6286 wrote:

And here I thought he was complaining about "are."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No, he's always been in favor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

So Facebook says my friends "can see my future posts." I did not know my friends were psychic.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

It may be a Jeopardy clue someday: Hugo Chavez died on the same date as Josef Stalin (1953).
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Vanya wrote:It may be a Jeopardy clue someday: Hugo Chavez died on the same date as Josef Stalin (1953).
Also died on March 5th, 1953: Sergei Prokofiev.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And my grandfather on March 5th, 1943. But he'll never be an answer on Jeopardy!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.