Tuesday, March 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by marpocky »

Depending on your definition of "Europe" (and "westernmost"), I can see the westernmost European country being Portugal, Ireland, Iceland, the Netherlands, or Russia. And maybe there are more candidates.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote:Judges: In "It" at 1K ("A public prayer, or a catalog of events"), any chance of credit for recital? I negged it, but it seems to almost kinda fit each half....
Emphasis on "almost kinda," I'd say. It would surprise me if the judges allowed it.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Rex Kramer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:I was surprised that the same case wasn't applied for his last name(Wint).
This is the only other Wint I could think of.

Image\

Mr. Wint, a hitman from Diamonds are Forever.
Just before he says, "Hey, Bond! Get your damn hands off her!"

:)

Rex
Given the sexuality of the character, maybe it was addressed to Tiffany Case -- "Get your damn hands off of him!!"
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:Sorry if I'm monopolizing this thread--four months is a long time.
Hey, this is your thread.
Linear Gnome wrote:Maybe Dylan and/or Drew will find their way here and comment.
If they do, you'll have to share. Meanwhile, the floor is yours. I wish every contestant would drop by to explain their thought process, answer questions, and give us inside scoops.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:In Drew's spot I would have considered betting $300. It does the following....

1. Wins on a sole solve if both make the MSB. (and would have produced a three way tie in this game).
2. Beats Ilene if we are both wrong and she makes the MSB.
3. Wins on a TS if Ilene makes the MSB and Dylan over wages by $600.

I considered $300 for him during the break. I always stop the DVR to plot out bets for all three players. That isn't a strong category for me but would really have been upset in his spot if a small wager cost me the game.
I thought along those lines too but decided there was effectively no chance of Dylan over-wagering. That means Drew won't win unless he gets FJ right. When that's the case, you may as well bet huge. If you miss FJ, the money wasn't yours to keep anyway. If you don't "lose" that money when they deduct your wager, you'll lose it a few seconds later when they replace your score with $1000 or $2000 and an Aleve logo. If you get it right and win, why not maximize your payday?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:
reddpen wrote:Linear Gnome, according to this page your best name anagram is Enigma Loner... but yours is better.
I just went to wordsmith.org's anagram server--my name has a ridiculous number of anagrams. A few more I like are Lineman Ogre, Grannie Mole, Online Gamer, and Normal Genie.
I like Grannie Mole. You could move to Discworld and hang out with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg and have the time of your life.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:Depending on your definition of "Europe" (and "westernmost"), I can see the westernmost European country being Portugal, Ireland, Iceland, the Netherlands, or Russia. And maybe there are more candidates.
That may well be true, but the discussion here pertains to the clue in this game.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

marpocky wrote:Depending on your definition of "Europe" (and "westernmost"), I can see the westernmost European country being Portugal, Ireland, Iceland, the Netherlands, or Russia. And maybe there are more candidates.
What about France and Denmark, too?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

bpmod wrote:
That may well be true, but the discussion here pertains to the clue in this game.

Brian
To be more specific, the clue in question actually said "westernmost country in continental Europe". I didn't include the word "continental" in my earlier post.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:Sorry if I'm monopolizing this thread--four months is a long time.
Hey, this is your thread.
Linear Gnome wrote:Maybe Dylan and/or Drew will find their way here and comment.
If they do, you'll have to share. Meanwhile, the floor is yours. I wish every contestant would drop by to explain their thought process, answer questions, and give us inside scoops.
I invite anyone to ask random stuff if they want to.

Couple of random tidbits:

(1) On the clue "a tantrum" in "IT", before I gave my answer it occurred to me that they were probably going for "snit", but I had already decided to say "hissy-fit" (which is more fun to say, anyway) and had no idea what would come of my mouth if I tried to switch. The judges didn't need to stop taping for this one.

(2) I thought I knew "Carol Burnett", but I had somehow forgotten that the daughter had died, and that distracted me from ringing in.

(3) After FJ, I was thinking three things: "Wait for someone to unhook your microphone", "Don't fall off your podium", and "OMGOMG what the (noun) did I do to myself?" I'm very relieved that I can be seen applauding Drew. In the postgame chat, Dylan (the neurologist/psychiatrist) and Alex were talking about aging and minor memory glitches vs. Alzheimer's. I pretty much stood there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: (1) On the clue "a tantrum" in "IT", before I gave my answer it occurred to me that they were probably going for "snit", but I had already decided to say "hissy-fit" (which is more fun to say, anyway) and had no idea what would come of my mouth if I tried to switch. The judges didn't need to stop taping for this one.
I think it was just 'fit' they were going for. Think I remember Alex saying, "Yes, there's fit in there."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Bamaman wrote:Always love it when Alex spoils the prior day's FJ for those who haven't seen it yet.
Guess I picked the wrong day to jump ahead and try to get current on my J! watching :roll: .
(I think I'm still pre-Thanksgiving were I to continue to watch in order.)

But I've learned from previous experience: As soon as Alex Trebek started talking about how they "had a tough Final Jeopardy! yesterday", I lunged for the remote, realized I would never make it to the mute button in time, so instead covered my ears and yelled "BLAH BLAH BLAH" as loud as I could (SO glad no one else is home :lol: ). And, inelegant though it was, it worked. Although even knowing ahead of time that a FJ! is very difficult or a TS is sometimes a hint in and of itself.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote:(1) On the clue "a tantrum" in "IT", before I gave my answer it occurred to me that they were probably going for "snit", but I had already decided to say "hissy-fit" (which is more fun to say, anyway) and had no idea what would come of my mouth if I tried to switch. The judges didn't need to stop taping for this one.
'Snit' was what I came up with. I also considered 'fit'. I liked your response best. :)
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

OKlibrarian wrote:I got murdered on the starts with clothing category
Same here: 1/5 (vestigial).

My brain operates too slowly to do well on wordplay categories (for me it's not "the dreaded opera", it's "the dreaded anagram"). For example, I thought of "HATCHERY" instantly, but rejected it as I couldn't think of any articles of clothing starting with "HATCH" :? . Also stumped by articles of clothing starting with "MIME" :lol: .
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

skullturf wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
To be more specific, the clue in question actually said "westernmost country in continental Europe". I didn't include the word "continental" in my earlier post.
Ah, I missed that key word. (Although, several of my candidates are indeed IN continental Europe... ;))
Woof wrote:
What about France and Denmark, too?
You can put them on the list if you want, but they qualify in a similar way to (and are thus beaten by) the Netherlands.
Last edited by marpocky on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
lovemydolphins wrote:So I wasn't the only one who was going crazy about his name.
My wife was really annoyed by the pronunciation of his name. The why was pretty predictable though - of course he had a parent who thought it would be more "unique" if it was pronounced differently for no real reason.
It reminded me of SanDeE* from "L.A. Story". Got a chuckle out of the memory of that movie (haven't seen it in years; wonder if the humor has stood the test of time).

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

bpmod wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I don't want to waste two poll slots to ask at the end of the week, so I'll ask here: Mitt or Glove? Mitt for me. And save the political stuff as November is long past.
Glove for me. Could it be a regional thing?

Brian
Glove here, from a California native now living in New Mexico.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I usually do well on animal categories, but I had never heard of either definition of "rook" in that clue (the bird or "to swindle")
From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
“Aha!” shouted Ron, as the wind whipped their hair and clothes. Ron was pointing upward, toward the top of the hill on which they had appeared, where a most strange-looking house rose vertically against the sky, a great black cylinder with a ghostly moon hanging behind it in the afternoon sky. “That’s got to be Luna’s house, who else would live in a place like that? It looks like a giant rook!”

“It’s nothing like a bird,” said Hermione, frowning at the tower.
I want to say rooks showed up in the Redwall books from time to time as well, if we want to get even nerdier with this.
Also in The Dark is Rising, to continue with the nerdism.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

ElendilPickle wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:I want to say rooks showed up in the Redwall books from time to time as well, if we want to get even nerdier with this.
Also in The Dark is Rising, to continue with the nerdism.
I knew 'rook' from the XTC song...

adh
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:I don't want to waste two poll slots to ask at the end of the week, so I'll ask here: Mitt or Glove? Mitt for me.
Interchangeable for me, although it's definitely a catcher's mitt (which does make some sense considering it doesn't have separate fingers like normal fielders' gloves do).
kickerofelves wrote:I knew 'rook' from the XTC song...
Which reminds me, is your name a reference to Guided by Voices? If so, count me as another fan!