Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Kicking myself over missing Losing My Religion. "Shoot shoot, what's that REM song?! Not everybody hurts, radio free europe orange crush find the river end of the world...GAAAAHHHWHICHISIT?!?" (reveal) "Durrr"
TenPoundHammer wrote: No guess on FJ! Those are a thing?!
Precalled that before coming in here.
bpmod wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
marpocky wrote:The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
I thought that was a rather poorly-worded clue. Referring to a number as "sequential" is different than saying that its digits are sequential. The clue communicated to me that they were looking for the lowest area code number that is sequential with other area code numbers. Since I am well aware that they can't start with 0 or 1, and they had just given 201 for New Jersey, I was baffled. (Couldn't be 200 because regular area codes don't end in 0 either.)
Actually, they can and do end in zero, so my response was 200, which I know to be the lowest possible. I was also thrown by the word sequential. If I had realized what they meant, 234 would have been a gimme.

Edited to add: After looking it up, it seems that it can only end in a zero if the first two digits are not 2 and 0.

Brian
I was thinking 234, if it was a DD I'd've gotten it, but wasn't confident enough that it had been allotted since middle numbers [2-9] finally got allowed.

And now that I got to thinking about it, wouldn't the first sequential area code be 210?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:And now that I got to thinking about it, wouldn't the first sequential area code be 210?
I'd agree with that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

bpmod wrote:And was kinda excited to see one of my very own area codes (I have telephone numbers in 4 area codes).
Same. The area code I grew up in (712, western Iowa) was the first one mentioned in the category.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:
bpmod wrote:And was kinda excited to see one of my very own area codes (I have telephone numbers in 4 area codes).
Same. The area code I grew up in (712, western Iowa) was the first one mentioned in the category.
Cool! Western Iowa may be pretty far removed from Western New York geographically, but area code -ly, it's only 4 off.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Went with everyone's favorite president with the middle name "Birchard" for the Ohio statue one. Damn those bearded Ohio presidents!
That one was a real binary screw, with the only hope of narrowing it to one being that you either knew that Garfield has a statue in Statuary Hall and Hayes doesn't or you recognized Garfield on sight. Not exactly much to go on. But they've been big on these binary questions in the past week, between the Portugal(/Spain) one and the Denmark(/France) one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Said "Treaty of Hidalgo" instead of "Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo" for the last DJ clue, I assume it's wrong?

Worst miss of the game: For the last clue in "Comic Strip characters", I'm thinking to myself "Oooh, I know it's named after the lead character in the strip, Nancy something. What the heck is her last name (and the rest of the strip title)?"
MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer:

Lines 1, 2 and 5 are the ones to try to remember their names and jobs as they will come up again. Dewey in #4 will usually have some kind of library reference with his name, but not always. You were skunked here and ran the 10-letter words. You have strength in word type clues and a great weakness in name type clues. J! uses both kinds a lot, so it's going to be part of your viewing each night that huge hunks get by you, but there will always be good pockets as well.
And, better advice to TPH: Learn which ones people want to hear more of from you, we *like* hearing when you (or anyone else) run a category and get clues right (and, no matter how bad your Coryat is, you get at least one right per game). We *don't* like hearing about clues you miss. Tell us more about the ones you got, and we'll be happy.
groovitude wrote:0 and 1 are both prefixes reserved for country codes. The simple "1" is the country code for the US. You still use it within the county if you're dialing outside of your area code -- hence "1-800" numbers. 0 is used as part of an exit code -- for example, to call from the US to the UK, you first dial 011-44.
A-HEM! Other countries use "1" as well! (And not just Canada either. It's called the North American Numbering Plan for a reason.)
bpmod wrote:When I was young, my friend's baby sister picked up the phone one day and started punching in numbers. She dialed 1-212-345-6789 and got a person on the other end. I don't know what they talked about for 17 minutes, but my friend's parents were not impressed. But they were all shocked when I said "She called Manhattan?!" because they only knew by the line on the phone bill that that was where she called.

Brian
I wonder who has 1-234-567-8901 (or 1-234-567-8910)? (Brian, you mentioned that one of your area codes was mentioned, are you the lucky one?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

dhkendall wrote:Said "Treaty of Hidalgo" instead of "Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo" for the last DJ clue, I assume it's wrong?
I had "Hidalgo" enter my brain for that one as sounding vaguely familiar, but I remained clam. All I had was just a vague sense that the name "Hidalgo" was associated with the Mexican-American war somehow.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:I wonder who has 1-234-567-8901 (or 1-234-567-8910)? (Brian, you mentioned that one of your area codes was mentioned, are you the lucky one?
Someone in Akron, obviously.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lines 1, 2 and 5 are the ones to try to remember their names and jobs as they will come up again. Dewey in #4 will usually have some kind of library reference with his name, but not always.
For the record, what WERE the names in the category again?
dhkendall wrote:Worst miss of the game: For the last clue in "Comic Strip characters", I'm thinking to myself "Oooh, I know it's named after the lead character in the strip, Nancy something. What the heck is her last name (and the rest of the strip title)?"
Reminds me of the person a while back who said "Oh, who's that GUY who has a holiday in the UK named for him. I know the name of this GUY."
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

dhkendall wrote:I wonder who has 1-234-567-8901 (or 1-234-567-8910)? (Brian, you mentioned that one of your area codes was mentioned, are you the lucky one?
1-234-567-8910 is, according to whitepages.com, a landline in Salem, OH (which is in the far eastern part of the state, 40 minutes southwest of Youngstown). It also apparently shows up quite a lot on caller IDs from spammers who use it to hide their actual numbers.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:(Brian, you mentioned that one of your area codes was mentioned, are you the lucky one?
Not sure what you are asking here. I mentioned (or, rather, alluded to) my area code in an earlier post here. In response to marpocky, I think it was.

Brian

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

dhkendall wrote:Worst miss of the game: For the last clue in "Comic Strip characters", I'm thinking to myself "Oooh, I know it's named after the lead character in the strip, Nancy something. What the heck is her last name (and the rest of the strip title)?"
In my mind, the title of the strip is "Nancy and Sluggo", so I was also left a bit adrift when Sluggo was mentioned. Apparently, that's a common enough error that Wikipedia redirects "Nancy and Sluggo" to "Nancy".

Their last names, if anyone cares:
Spoiler
Nancy Ritz and Sluggo Smith
gsn93
Contributor

Post by gsn93 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

Lines 1, 2 and 5 are the ones to try to remember their names and jobs as they will come up again. Dewey in #4 will usually have some kind of library reference with his name, but not always.
Hammer, Mark listed them above the bit that you quoted from him.
Dame Antoinette Sibley/Lord Michael Flatley - Dancers
Diane Arbus/Richard Avedon - Photographers
Brady Hoke/Rex Ryan - Football Coaches
Herbert Putnam/Melvil Dewey - Librarians
Renzo Piano/Walter Gropius - Architects

Lines 1, 2 and 5....
Just trying help.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

gsn93 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

Hammer, Mark listed them above the bit that you quoted from him.
Dame Antoinette Sibley/Lord Michael Flatley - Dancers
Diane Arbus/Richard Avedon - Photographers
Brady Hoke/Rex Ryan - Football Coaches
Herbert Putnam/Melvil Dewey - Librarians
Renzo Piano/Walter Gropius - Architects

Lines 1, 2 and 5....
Just trying help.
I'm assuming that since he is unable to distinguish faces, he must not see names either. Where the rest of us see first and last names, he must just see blank screen. I'm not one to judge. I'm color-blind, and there's no easy way to describe the answer to the question, "So where the rest of us see colors, what do you see?"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Actually, I didn't see Mark's original post, because I copied "Lines 1, 2 and 5 are the ones to try to remember their names and jobs as they will come up again. Dewey in #4 will usually have some kind of library reference with his name, but not always." from Dhkendall's quoting of Mark.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Golf wrote:Most of us have literally hundreds of business reasons to call out of state numbers. And all of us have countless home business reasons to do so.
And some of us work at a church, where the only people we ever have to call live within a half-hour.
Never mind that -- tell us about a defunct mall in a state you've never been to.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: And, better advice to TPH: Learn which ones people want to hear more of from you, we *like* hearing when you (or anyone else) run a category and get clues right (and, no matter how bad your Coryat is, you get at least one right per game). We *don't* like hearing about clues you miss. Tell us more about the ones you got, and we'll be happy.
But then he'd never post anything.

I ran comic strips but was flummoxed on 234 and most of the other area codes.
Apost226

Post by Apost226 »

This was my first time. I got a 30/50 I'm pretty sure. I was so zoned in on the questions that I was unaware of the large categories I could read above. :( They offered some hints that would have really helped me out. I didn't pass did I?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

groovitude wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:212 is the area code of Manhattan, and is one of the most well-known in, admittedly, an esoteric field of trivia.
City of >2 million near Buffalo? Gotta be Toronto. Or Chicago, if you ask Watson. Granted, tough to make the international leap here.
201 for New Jersey? I'll give you that there was not enough TOM on this one. Definitely no way to get that unless you know it.
The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state, so this went over my head. I don't recall Buffalo being in the next clue. And the fact that area codes can't start with 1 or 0 is new to me.
If you're a Seinfeld fan, you may have remembered the 212 area code from the episode "The Maid."

0 and 1 are both prefixes reserved for country codes. The simple "1" is the country code for the US. You still use it within the county if you're dialing outside of your area code -- hence "1-800" numbers. 0 is used as part of an exit code -- for example, to call from the US to the UK, you first dial 011-44.
Most of us don't have to dial 1 anymore for a different area code (well I don't, anyway).
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

201 is the shell of itself. While extremely populous still, its only in the Hudson & Bergen County areas, 609, 908 then 973 broke into that quite a bit. (Of course now they have 551 to make up because Verizon didn't want to split the 201 again. Was fun though being an instaget. I've lived in this town for 15 years, two houses and two different area codes, considering 732 was overlaid in eventually.

As for that category, I precalled there being a Canadian one, however, I know 415 not 416. :)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013