Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dexterG »

Would Articles of War be acceptable as the FJ response? I was going a different direction at first, but went back to the years in the clue (1812 and 1942), and knew it had to do with US going to war.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:Most of us don't have to dial 1 anymore for a different area code (well I don't, anyway).
That mostly depends on your carrier now. All of the carriers I have had, it has been based on whether long-distance charges apply. Currently, I do not need to dial '1' for any number across 5 area codes that is 'local' as defined by whatever entity defines that (this is the same with both my cell and landline). However, within those same area codes, if I dial without the '1' to a number that isn't local, I get a recording that I need to dial '1'. It's most annoying when I use the dial function of my call display because it doesn't distinguish between the two.

One of my previous carriers offered unlimited Canada / U.S. dialing. I never needed to dial '1' at all.

And, on my U.S.-based cell phone also, I never have to dial '1'.
Roadgeek Adam wrote:As for that category, I precalled there being a Canadian one, however, I know 415 not 416. :)
I hope you're not saying that 415 is a Canadian area code.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Srsly, everyone should know 415.

I remember an ad for Ma Bell where they sang "Moon over 305." Can't find it on the internets, where I thought you could find anything.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The area code category had me stymied for the most part. I can tell you the area code for the places I've lived and also where my parents live, but beyond that forget it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:I hope you're not saying that 415 is a Canadian area code.

Brian
Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:I hope you're not saying that 415 is a Canadian area code.

Brian
Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)
Yes. 415 is San Francisco. 514 Montreal. 418 Quebec City. 613 Ottawa. 604 Vancouver. 403 (used to be all of) Alberta (not sure what subset it is now). Those are some of the ones I know off the top of my head.

ETA: Oh, yeah! 204 Winnipeg & 902 Halifax.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I wonder if knowledge of area codes and comic strips is a generational thing. In your job, you might know the area codes of the nearby jurisdictions or distant cities where you do business. You might also know the area codes of family. Otherwise, you don't even have to remember phone numbers because they're stored on your cellphone. And do people still follow comics if they don't get a dead tree copy of newspaper? I can read many different newspapers online, but I have to make an effort to read a comic strip online.

I guessed Benjamin Harrison instead of Garfield. Garfield, Hayes and Harrison all have similar beards. Harrison did his politics from Indiana. Garfield is most likely of the three to have a statue because he was assassinated.

There's a current commercial for the Chase Freedom Credit Card that uses the Footloose song, but none of the lyrics from the clue.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

The only area code question I missed was the last one, where I didn't understand what they were looking for. Pulled out Toronto at the last second, as I was also thinking of Cleveland until I recognized the number. I guess I benefited from having grown up in 201 - I didn't realize it was the first area code.

Surprised Dylan Thomas was a triple stumper. How many other Welsh poets might show up on Jeopardy?
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

silverscreentest wrote:I wonder if knowledge of area codes and comic strips is a generational thing. In your job, you might know the area codes of the nearby jurisdictions or distant cities where you do business. You might also know the area codes of family. Otherwise, you don't even have to remember phone numbers because they're stored on your cellphone. And do people still follow comics if they don't get a dead tree copy of newspaper? I can read many different newspapers online, but I have to make an effort to read a comic strip online.
If anything, I might think that today with people's cell phones retaining their original area code long after they've moved elsewhere, it would be easier to have heard of a bunch of different area codes (though granted to know anything about them you'd have to ask more questions about someone's number than you might care to).

As for comic strips... even if it's generational, it's ONLY the current generation who would have no clue. If you were born before 1990 you surely still grew up with newspapers being a thing. I'm not as young as I used to be but I am NOT in some old generation - I was born in the 80s - and I ran that category with ease.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

In the comic strip category, the only one that stumped me was the top box. That was one strip I could never get into.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Apost226 wrote:This was my first time. I got a 30/50 I'm pretty sure. I was so zoned in on the questions that I was unaware of the large categories I could read above. :( They offered some hints that would have really helped me out. I didn't pass did I?
First time poster?

Brian

Sherm

Post by Sherm »

In general, the boards last night could be answered with. "What is something else I did not know?" Second lowest coryat score of the entire season.

I know my presidents and can pick them out of picture, but a statue. I knew it was either Hayes or Garfield. Harrison, Grant didn't come into play, beards are much shorter. Hayes/Garfield beards are very similar and they both have very high foreheads. I guessed wrong.

FJ, I knew what they wanted immediately. My brain could not come up with the word "declaration" for my life. I ended up writing "What is a resolution to go to war?" It's one like that would be very interesting to see if it would fly or not.
Last edited by Sherm on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TryphonTournesol

bpmod wrote:In the comic strip category, the only one that stumped me was the top box. That was one strip I could never get into.

Brian
I never read Dick Tracy either, but it arguably has the most pop culture penetration of the set, considering it was made into a star-studded movie a couple decades ago.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Sherm wrote:I know my presidents and can pick them out of picture, but a statue.
What about the picture of the statue in the other thread (the one that's not alietr)?

Brian

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

skullturf wrote:As soon as I saw "Comic Strip Characters", I thought to myself, "I'll be embarrassed if I don't run this category." It's definitely something I think of as one of my wheelhouses. When all three contestants missed "Nancy" at $2000, I shouted at the TV, "You people don't know your history!"
Well, you have to admit, Fritzi Ritz usually is only referred to as "Aunt Fritzi" in the strip, so that could have thrown folks off. That and the fact it doesn't get much love in the newspapers anymore. And younger folks might associate "Sluggo" more with Mr. Bill instead of Nancy.

FWIW, Fritzi was the original star of the strip back in the 1920s (then named Fritzi Ritz); after a decade, Nancy came on board and overtook the main stage (as Popeye did with Thimble Theater and Snuffy Smith did with Barney Google) and the name was changed.
dhkendall wrote:Said "Treaty of Hidalgo" instead of "Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo" for the last DJ clue, I assume it's wrong?
I really screwed this one up. I said "What is the Treaty of Hidalgo? No, wait, what is the Treaty of Guadeloupe?" I figure it's wrong either way though :(
silverscreentest wrote:I wonder if knowledge of area codes and comic strips is a generational thing. In your job, you might know the area codes of the nearby jurisdictions or distant cities where you do business. You might also know the area codes of family. Otherwise, you don't even have to remember phone numbers because they're stored on your cellphone. And do people still follow comics if they don't get a dead tree copy of newspaper? I can read many different newspapers online, but I have to make an effort to read a comic strip online.
Area codes and dyslexia can make for fun. When I got "The Call," I saw the 310 area code on my mobile and thought "who's calling me from Maryland?" (Mrs. Spiff is from there and has many friends still up there), my brain scrambling it to 301. Needless to say I was most pleasantly surprised that I was mistaken!

And part of my morning routine is to read a number of comics online; I've been doing it for about 15 years now. The "dead tree copy" prints the dang things so small it's almost impossible to read anyway.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

bpmod wrote:
Sherm wrote:I know my presidents and can pick them out of picture, but a statue.
What about the picture of the statue in the other thread (the one that's not alietr)?

Brian
Let's just say the further you get away from the human being standing there in front of you, the less it helps.

Those two look alike and they are both from Ohio. In addition, they are both pretty obscure 19th century presidents. It really made that question hard to answer. They really should have included this president that didn't fill out his full term as opposed to from Ohio to be fair. Maybe its no longer a fifth row question if they do that.

Knowing my luck from last night they would have change the clue to read this president that was in office during part of 1881. Yep, that helps
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
Meanwhile, Drew wins despite his infuriatingly conservative DD betting - $200 on a $400 clue in the first round? BET THE THOUSAND OH MY GOD.

True that. Good grief.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Not the greatest game of the year, althouth three contestants did adequately.

I picked up Lach Trash on Gropius = architect and Welsh poet = Dylan Thomas (how Pavlovian can clues get for crying out loud?), as well as identifying President Garfield, the ancient comic strip Nancy, and the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, for $7600 in Lach Trash. One more big one like that and I could have won this game fromthe fourth podium.

And Drew's pathetic bet on the first DD of the game was a real lowlight. Sigh.
TryphonTournesol

John Boy wrote:Not the greatest game of the year, althouth three contestants did adequately.

I picked up Lach Trash on Gropius = architect and Welsh poet = Dylan Thomas (how Pavlovian can clues get for crying out loud?), as well as identifying President Garfield, the ancient comic strip Nancy, and the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, for $7600 in Lach Trash. One more big one like that and I could have won this game fromthe fourth podium.

And Drew's pathetic bet on the first DD of the game was a real lowlight. Sigh.
I just counted it up - $10,200 on Lach Trash, more than anyone had going into FJ! All yours minus Garfield, but plus Anthony Kennedy, Toronto, and New Jersey. Yikes. I guess that makes this the definition of a bad game.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

silverscreentest wrote: I guessed Benjamin Harrison instead of Garfield. Garfield, Hayes and Harrison all have similar beards. Harrison did his politics from Indiana. Garfield is most likely of the three to have a statue because he was assassinated.
I CLAMmed because I haven't memorized presidents = f (visual image), and Ohio was insufficiently specific for me to narrow it down (I was thinking Taft).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago