Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by alietr »

Rats. I didn't even realize that one was yours. Nice work, with excellent construction! I managed to take it down in 17 minutes.
emccullough
Valued Contributor

Post by emccullough »

17:17 for me, but I use the iPhone app, which makes it easier. VERY cool puzzle.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ack!! Was Todd's puzzle the Sat or Sun puzzle? Gonna have to nab it.
emccullough
Valued Contributor

Post by emccullough »

Saturday's.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

emccullough wrote:Saturday's.
Thanks.
Quijote57
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Quijote57 »

bpmod wrote:From my experience, weather (other than high winds whipping the antenna around) has not been a factor in digital TV reception, although, that being said, what you are experiencing is the digital cliff. That is, the digital signal is either perfect or non-existant, no fading as the signal gets worse.

I could probably give you some pointers to improving your reception if you're interested.

Brian
Thanks, Brian. The station says they have to go out and clean their satellite dish so we can get better reception. Actually, I think they did n;t get the highest quality transmitter when they made the transition. They used to have a great signal in any weather, stronger than the other two channels here. But now they are weaker than the others. But you are correct on the improvement. The PBS station comes in the clearest of any now. It used to be snowy at best. I am not sure where their tower is, though.

And I do use rabbit ears. They are supposed to work well with DTV box. And I have a 12 year old TV that was the cheapest I could find. It doesn't have a great receiver. If I hook the DTV box to a 35 year old, tube type B&W portable I get a much better picture. But it's only a 13" so hard to see. Yes, I am a technology neanderthal and proud of it!

Well, it's almost noon and time for the Final! Enjoy!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Quijote57 wrote:
bpmod wrote:From my experience, weather (other than high winds whipping the antenna around) has not been a factor in digital TV reception, although, that being said, what you are experiencing is the digital cliff. That is, the digital signal is either perfect or non-existant, no fading as the signal gets worse.

I could probably give you some pointers to improving your reception if you're interested.

Brian
Thanks, Brian. The station says they have to go out and clean their satellite dish so we can get better reception. Actually, I think they did n;t get the highest quality transmitter when they made the transition. They used to have a great signal in any weather, stronger than the other two channels here. But now they are weaker than the others. But you are correct on the improvement. The PBS station comes in the clearest of any now. It used to be snowy at best. I am not sure where their tower is, though.

And I do use rabbit ears. They are supposed to work well with DTV box. And I have a 12 year old TV that was the cheapest I could find. It doesn't have a great receiver. If I hook the DTV box to a 35 year old, tube type B&W portable I get a much better picture. But it's only a 13" so hard to see. Yes, I am a technology neanderthal and proud of it!

Well, it's almost noon and time for the Final! Enjoy!
Just out of curiosity, do you get Jeopardy! on KHQA CBS channel 7?

TV technical stuff for Peter spoilered so nobody else needs to read it.
Spoiler
Yes, rabbit ears will work fine with a DTV box as long as they are picking up the signal. Any antenna that picked up the analogue signal can pick up the digital signal on the same frequency. Many stations changed frequency when they switched to digital, but that will usually only be an issue if they switched from VHF to UHF or vice versa.

KHQA's transmitter is only about 15 kW. By comparison, the satation that is 76 miles from me (WIVB Buffalo NY) is braodcasting an almost 800 kW signal. (Of course, my local station, CHCH Hamilton, which towers over me a couple of miles away, broadcasts at only 6 kW, which is part of the reason I watch the other station.) Both WQEC and WGEM are broadcasting higher-powered signals, too, if those are the other stations you can get.

The receivers in your TVs are also not overly important to your reception. The quality of your DTV box is the bigger issue.

Since the station does not use the aforementioned satellite dish for broadcasting, them cleaning it won't affect your reception one iota. However, if they are simply receiving signals through that and rebroadcasting them, then the issue could be the quality of what they are sending out. If that were the case, people who have very expensive systems would probably be on them to fix it, as it would affect everybody equally, not just those with rabbit ears.
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Thom
Contributor

Post by Thom »

Hi, everyone! I'm Thom from Omaha. I was registered on the old Sony board, but I don't remember what username I had there. I had fewer than 100 posts to my credit, so it's not like I was a memorable character or anything.

I'm a software developer who started with hobby-type projects and ended up spending 20+ years coding Cobol on big IBM machines before getting swept into the 21st century. I'm a voracious reader, but it's mostly non-useful genres (SF and epic Fantasy). I also enjoy listening to music, but I'm stuck in a Jazz and Classic Rock rut.

I started as a lurker on the Sony board, registering only when I passed the online test and auditioned in MSP in 2006. I've been a lurker here since late 2011, registering only when I passed the online test and got an audition invite for KC this May. :D

Thom
waitingforthatcall
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by waitingforthatcall »

Hey all,

I just signed myself up with a user name yesterday, and today is my first time posting. I'm not going to reveal my name or any personal info just yet, since I'm hopefully waiting on a return call for the College Tournament- hence the name- and don't want to jinx anything. Today is the last day to receive a call (or email?) and I can't find anyone whose already been selected for the tournament yet.
jmenjes
Figment of Imagination

Post by jmenjes »

Hello folks. I'm John from Hollywood, Florida (native South Floridian, actually). I enjoy bicycling, puzzle solving, and video games. I also enjoy taking part in the Herald Hunt, and I am a big Walt Disney World fan.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

Hi Everyone,

My name is James. I've been in the pool since the May 17 Chicago auditions last year. I've been lurking around since before my audition, when Google directed me to the Pavlov's thread. I used to be an aerospace engineer, but I'm now finishing up a PhD in Physiology and Biophysics at Michigan State. I also have kids now, so I don't have much time for hobbies, or, rather, they are my hobby.

My go-to categories are science, aviation, kids literature, before/after, comic books.
My personal challenge category is poetry.

I also teach classes in post-graduate testing, so I love all of the strategy here. (Also, I really dislike daily doubles for anything less than the max value on the board.)

Cheers.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SpiffJumper227 wrote:I used to be an aerospace engineer, but I'm now finishing up a PhD in Physiology and Biophysics at Michigan State.
I'm currently an aero engineer and have a BS and MS from MSU!

Welcome!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Several new posters this week--welcome! This site (and its companion site, the J! Archive) have a wealth of useful information. I didn't register here until after my taping day, but I lurked on this board and its predecessor since about the time of Dan Pawson's ToC (which is longer ago than I had realized).

One of the pleasures of this board is rubbing elbows with great players. Stefan Goodreau replied to one of my posts the other day, and it made my day! For those of you waiting for The Call, though, I think the observations of ordinary players like me can be useful, too, and I'm in the mood to share some of mine before I completely fade into J! obscurity.

One suggestion I have is to be persistent. Vijay Balse, winner of a recent ToC, auditioned something like 15 times before he made it on the show! It costs nothing to take the online test every year. Deciding whether to attend in-person auditions can be more complicated because of cost or schedule considerations. My opinion is that it's comparable to deciding whether to travel to see a concert of your favorite band.

OK, so you've received an audition invite and you've decided to go. Many people have given the same advice as I'm about to: out of the things you have control over, it's important to speak up, call the categories quickly in your mock game, and follow the directions of the contestant coordinators (if they tell you to buzz "bingbingbingbing", don't buzz "bing"). Be prepared to talk about things other than the 5 specific anecdotes you've listed--anything on your paperwork is fair game, and they really like to ask what you'll do with the money if you win. (I think my favorite answer I heard at my most recent audition was "Take a trip and stay in a hotel nice enough that the clerk isn't behind bars.") Be yourself, but a slightly more interesting, energetic version of yourself.

Most importantly (perhaps), try to have fun; this will come across positively to the coordinators, in addition to making the experience more worthwhile. I took my third audition (Chicago May 2012, after having done Chicago August 2007 and Kansas City June 2009 previously) because I enjoyed the previous two enough that it made the trip from central Missouri worth it. In my first two auditions, I felt that I did OK on the written test and pretty well in the mock game, but I botched my interview portion. This last time, I had the feeling that I had done all aspects the best that I personally could--I still seriously doubted that anyone would want to put me on television, so I barely believed it when I got The Call in October.

Try not to have too much of your self-worth invested in getting on the show. The contestant coordinators do an excellent job, but they're kind of guessing who will hold up well under the lights--you might be the next Vijay Balse but without enough opportunities to audition. Yes, there's serious money involved, but it's a game, and there's a lot of luck before and during.

I hope you all get The Call. If your 18 months in the pool run out, try not to be discouraged. You have something that I no longer have--the possibility that you will someday be a Jeopardy! champion!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll add one thing -- make yourself stand out in a positive way. It's an audition for a TV show. You want to be "hired". Before they gave the test, Maggie asked what people's least favorite category would be. I raised my hand, she called on me after a few other people, and I said "13th Century European Poetry". She laughed, the group laughed, and I'm pretty sure that put me on track to getting The Call. And remember, Maggie remembers everything.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Linear Gnome wrote:Several new posters this week--welcome! This site (and its companion site, the J! Archive) have a wealth of useful information. I didn't register here until after my taping day, but I lurked on this board and its predecessor since about the time of Dan Pawson's ToC (which is longer ago than I had realized).

One of the pleasures of this board is rubbing elbows with great players. Stefan Goodreau replied to one of my posts the other day, and it made my day! For those of you waiting for The Call, though, I think the observations of ordinary players like me can be useful, too, and I'm in the mood to share some of mine before I completely fade into J! obscurity.

One suggestion I have is to be persistent. Vijay Balse, winner of a recent ToC, auditioned something like 15 times before he made it on the show! It costs nothing to take the online test every year. Deciding whether to attend in-person auditions can be more complicated because of cost or schedule considerations. My opinion is that it's comparable to deciding whether to travel to see a concert of your favorite band.

OK, so you've received an audition invite and you've decided to go. Many people have given the same advice as I'm about to: out of the things you have control over, it's important to speak up, call the categories quickly in your mock game, and follow the directions of the contestant coordinators (if they tell you to buzz "bingbingbingbing", don't buzz "bing"). Be prepared to talk about things other than the 5 specific anecdotes you've listed--anything on your paperwork is fair game, and they really like to ask what you'll do with the money if you win. (I think my favorite answer I heard at my most recent audition was "Take a trip and stay in a hotel nice enough that the clerk isn't behind bars.") Be yourself, but a slightly more interesting, energetic version of yourself.

Most importantly (perhaps), try to have fun; this will come across positively to the coordinators, in addition to making the experience more worthwhile. I took my third audition (Chicago May 2012, after having done Chicago August 2007 and Kansas City June 2009 previously) because I enjoyed the previous two enough that it made the trip from central Missouri worth it. In my first two auditions, I felt that I did OK on the written test and pretty well in the mock game, but I botched my interview portion. This last time, I had the feeling that I had done all aspects the best that I personally could--I still seriously doubted that anyone would want to put me on television, so I barely believed it when I got The Call in October.

Try not to have too much of your self-worth invested in getting on the show. The contestant coordinators do an excellent job, but they're kind of guessing who will hold up well under the lights--you might be the next Vijay Balse but without enough opportunities to audition. Yes, there's serious money involved, but it's a game, and there's a lot of luck before and during.

I hope you all get The Call. If your 18 months in the pool run out, try not to be discouraged. You have something that I no longer have--the possibility that you will someday be a Jeopardy! champion!
This is all excellent advice! I suspect handling the audition is my biggest weakness, next to wagering theory. Having plunked down a slightly embarrassing sum of money last to fly out to see my first favorite band this year in an extremely unexpected reunion tour*, that was a perfect metaphor. Now to figure out what I'd do with my money...Trip to New Zealand to visit Famout Hobbit Landmarks? A lifetime supply of yarn? a culinary school vacation at the CIA?** Must ponder.

*I still can't believe a question about THAT TOUR (and the death that sparked it) was a triple stumper...I'd have pocketed that $2K before you could say Daydream Believer :-)
**I'd really pay off the house, but you don't say that when trying to get on national TV ;-)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OKlibrarian wrote:**I'd really pay off the house, but you don't say that when trying to get on national TV ;-)
Not me. I'd convert it all to Loonies & Twonies and sprinkle it over the city from a hot-air balloon.

Actually, that could cause injury. Replace 'the city' with 'Parliament Hill'. No. That wouldn't work either. Maybe I'd have to use U.S. bills.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

bpmod wrote:
OKlibrarian wrote:**I'd really pay off the house, but you don't say that when trying to get on national TV ;-)
Not me. I'd convert it all to Loonies & Twonies and sprinkle it over the city from a hot-air balloon.

Actually, that could cause injury. Replace 'the city' with 'Parliament Hill'. No. That wouldn't work either. Maybe I'd have to use U.S. bills.

Brian
Yet another reason to move to Canada.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
SpiffJumper227 wrote:I used to be an aerospace engineer, but I'm now finishing up a PhD in Physiology and Biophysics at Michigan State.
I'm currently an aero engineer and have a BS and MS from MSU!

Welcome!

Hi Kirk,

You, apparently, are exactly me in reverse. Here's to us both succeeding here, though. Hopefully we never have to duke it out together on the aircraft related topics that show up from time to time.

At the auditions, my answers to the "What would you do with the money?" question were:

If I win a little bit, take my wife out to dinner at a restaurant that doesn't offer crayons with their menus.
If I win Brad Rutter Money, I want to take a ride in a P-51 Mustang.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Linear Gnome,

When was your Chicago audition? I auditioned on May 17th at 3:00, and one of my regrets after the fact was that I didn't get much info on everyone else with me that day. If I can't get the call, yet, the next best thing would be one of my audition compatriots.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of database for the locales and times of successful auditions?
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

bpmod wrote:Not me. I'd convert it all to Loonies & Twonies and sprinkle it over the city from a hot-air balloon.

We make it rain much more safely down here. :mrgreen: