Thursday, March 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, March 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Jump played the police chief that arrested Jessica for killing Peter Campbell. I remember Hesseman being on the show, but can't remember his role.
Was he the prosecutor at Jessica's trial?
I think that was it. The Wikipedia article for the show doesn't say who the prosecutor was, though it did say who her lawyer was (along with a long list of other actors).

Its just hard to picture him as a lawyer, especially a DA. Johnny Fever and the teacher on Head of the Class were so laid back I can't see him in the part of someone you think of as hardhitting.

Edit...Here's a clip of her conviction. you can see Hesseman in the background.

http://youtu.be/TqlgCT1klco
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Nice get by Drew to get Einstein/Switzerland. Glad that was not the FJ clue.
Would think everybody here has seen Good Will Hunting. Einstein was described by the professor as "it was a Swiss patent clerk..."
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Linear Gnome wrote:I was surprised Spanish Succession was a triple stumper. Is that one a matter of my having only one guess, and other people knowing enough to have a problem?
That was one of only two negs for me: I said Austrian Succession. That one was later, though: 1740-48 instead of 1701-14. I had forgotten that the Spanish Succession was a thing, otherwise I wouldn't have risked going in since I didn't know the years until looking them up later, not enough to risk a guess.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I spent 25 seconds going through the countries in South America, being confused because I was surprised that only two haven't had military rule recently. Then, I looked at the clue again and saw Central, and very quickly said, "Belize, Costa Rica." I really don't know much about Central American history, but they just jump out to me as the more conflict-free, rich-vacationer-friendly countries.

I'm not sure why everybody has been jumping on Drew's wagers. When he gets an early DD, it probably won't matter in terms of who wins the game if he bets that extra $1000 that he could. Maybe he knew he might go on tilt if he entered the red, so he kept it safe? He's been very aggressive in FJ, so it shows he is willing to bet big when need be. I could be wrong, but I think today was the first time he came upon a DD when the correct bet was clear (such as way behind and needing to bet big, or a late game situation with a small lead), and he did what he had to do.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Am I the only one here who was far more interested in "Who killed Peter Campbell?" than in "Who shot J.R.?"

Man, I'm showing my age.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Am I the only one here who was far more interested in "Who killed Peter Campbell?" than in "Who shot J.R.?"

Man, I'm showing my age.
Definitely not!

On both counts.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TryphonTournesol

Golf wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Nice get by Drew to get Einstein/Switzerland. Glad that was not the FJ clue.
Would think everybody here has seen Good Will Hunting. Einstein was described by the professor as "it was a Swiss patent clerk..."
Sure, I saw Good Will Hunting. Once. Fifteen years ago. I did have Switzerland in mind but not enough to have buzzed.
TryphonTournesol

soxfan99 wrote:I'm not sure why everybody has been jumping on Drew's wagers. When he gets an early DD, it probably won't matter in terms of who wins the game if he bets that extra $1000 that he could. Maybe he knew he might go on tilt if he entered the red, so he kept it safe? He's been very aggressive in FJ, so it shows he is willing to bet big when need be. I could be wrong, but I think today was the first time he came upon a DD when the correct bet was clear (such as way behind and needing to bet big, or a late game situation with a small lead), and he did what he had to do.
Until making the 4800 bet today, every one of his DD wagers, unless I'm mistaken, was below (in some cases well below) the actual point value of the clue. You don't find that weird at all?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

bpmod wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:Am I the only one here who was far more interested in "Who killed Peter Campbell?" than in "Who shot J.R.?"

Man, I'm showing my age.
Definitely not!

On both counts.

Brian
Me three! And Soap reminds me of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Remember when Coach Fedders drowned in a bowl of chicken soup?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:I'm not sure why everybody has been jumping on Drew's wagers. When he gets an early DD, it probably won't matter in terms of who wins the game if he bets that extra $1000 that he could. Maybe he knew he might go on tilt if he entered the red, so he kept it safe? He's been very aggressive in FJ, so it shows he is willing to bet big when need be. I could be wrong, but I think today was the first time he came upon a DD when the correct bet was clear (such as way behind and needing to bet big, or a late game situation with a small lead), and he did what he had to do.
Until making the 4800 bet today, every one of his DD wagers, unless I'm mistaken, was below (in some cases well below) the actual point value of the clue. You don't find that weird at all?
Yeah that Drew. How DARE he WIN with that awful DD wagering? Three times now.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Linear Gnome wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Man, I'm showing my age.
Definitely not!

On both counts.

Brian
Me three! And Soap reminds me of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Remember when Coach Fedders drowned in a bowl of chicken soup?
Yellow waxy buildup.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Nice get by Drew to get Einstein/Switzerland. Glad that was not the FJ clue.

I thought Switzerland was so obvious an answer, that it had to be wrong.
Leander

Post by Leander »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Letters and Words. Was stymied on the Scrabble clue after Q/X was negged, since I was positive X was 10.

Also 4/5 in London Transport. Saw no way to figure out the cab driver clue.
I figured that it had to be cab drivers, since most other forms of transport follow set routes and wouldn't require people to know every street. It probably helped that their larger-than-average hippocampi came up in a neuroscience class I took in college (http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... axi-memory).
Interesting that there is a movement afoot to do away with "The Knowledge" due to the prevalence of the use of GPS, even by taxicabs
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: "Okay, what's in Central America… Panama, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala… shoot, I can't think of anything else." Of course the two right answers are the two I don't think of in 30 seconds.
Hate when that happens... *shakes fist* Damn you Denmark!! (FJ from a while ago...)
Golf wrote:
Apparently Einstein stayed in Switzerland much much longer than I remembered... I was thinking it really hard, but didn't want to pull the trigger.

Belize was an instant. Costa Rica would've been my 'well, I *need* a second answer...' choice if necessary. It felt righter than El Salvador (my 2nd choice), but I couldn't have explained why.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: I'm willing to make it a True Daily Double that people on the Sony board will think that Caribbean = Central America and complain "IN PROTEST!!1!!1!!")
Someone registered to say Mexico is in Central America.
TryphonTournesol

billy pilgrim wrote:Yeah that Drew. How DARE he WIN with that awful DD wagering? Three times now.
Okay, smart guy. You know as well as I that just because something works out doesn't mean it was a great move. Only risking $200 on a $400 clue? You're really going to defend that?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Nice get by Drew to get Einstein/Switzerland. Glad that was not the FJ clue.
Not me. If it had been the FJ or a DD, I'd have gotten it. Instead, I sat there thinking,
Cerebrum Operis wrote:I bet it's Switzerland. He worked at the Swiss patent office. Germany's too obvious for $2000. 1903 is way too early for him to be in the US. On the other hand, I've really screwed the pooch tonight with bad guesses where I should have clammed. Guessed The Bucket List rather than About Schmidt. Said "bay" rather than "palomino." Said Bosom Buddies rather than Perfect Strangers because I always mix those two up. Said L. A. Law when the answer was Miami Vice. (And to make matters worse, the show I was picturing in my head was Hill Street Blues. So I didn't even get my wrong answer right!). And that's just the DJ round. In SJ I rang in (well, clicked my pen) and totally blanked on Selena. I knew exactly what they wanted but the old brain just didn't want to fetch her file. On the very next clue, I made things worse by going with Gypsy Rose Lee instead of Edith Piaf. And on the clue after that--the $1000 one--I stared at "Nowhere Boy" while all three contestants declined to ring in and I thought to myself that "John Lennon" was the only answer that made sense, but I didn't want to lose three times in a row. The same thing is probably happening here. I really should ring in and say.... Drew just said "What is Switzerland," didn't he? Crap.
With Final Jeopardy, I thought things through. I didn't want any more screwups. I had an immediate guess that I was pretty sure was right. But I made myself go carefully through the other possibilities and rule them out as either definitely wrong or at best less likely than my thought. I stuck with my original answer. Hence, I was quite pleased when the music ended and Alex said, "One Spanish speaking, one...."

"Yes!" I shouted, not even waiting for him to finish. But then a horrible thing happened. He did not complete that thought with the words "Portuguese Speaking." So my response of "Brazil" was definitely incorrect. Turns out I should have spent a little more time reading the question, even though that would have cut into the time I used to rule out guesses such as Colombia, Argentina, and Chile.

I think I should go to bed now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And, oh yeah! That John Lennon clue should have been 5 cents. But a TS?!? That had me yelling at my screen.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:Yeah that Drew. How DARE he WIN with that awful DD wagering? Three times now.
Okay, smart guy. You know as well as I that just because something works out doesn't mean it was a great move. Only risking $200 on a $400 clue? You're really going to defend that?
Oh good. You got my point.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm ashamed to say I didn't get the "Where did Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman get married" clue. Well of course. Where was Urban raised, dumbass?
bpmod wrote:And, oh yeah! That John Lennon clue should have been 5 cents. But a TS?!? That had me yelling at my screen.
I forget what that clue was.