The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

Post by Paucle »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
Alan_B wrote: Also, Opus, you've put your finger on one of our biggest priorities --- THE EXPERTS needs women!!
I want to play! And it wouldn't have to be at TCONA, if that helps.
What expert would you be?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Loved one of the categories, not so much on the other two.
I suspect it will be the exact same for me. :)
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Thanks, Jeanie!! We're just now starting to set up our summer taping schedule! We need you and other diehard experts!! (women AND men, but yes, we need women)

If any of you know anybody in L.A. who's a crazy freak about something, please let me know!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:Dave Kendall whose category is "Flag-Obsessed Nerds,"
Hey now! I may be flag-obssessed, and I may be a nerd, but I"m not a ...

Wait, what were we talking about again?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
Alan_B wrote:THE EXPERTS needs women!!
I want to play!
At this point, it's very tempting to say "I need a woman!!" :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

It's Jerome, people!! (No further introduction needed.)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Alan_B wrote:It's Jerome, people!! (No further introduction needed.)

That's what I like about this show, the specialties of the Experts that I actually know really surprise me!

(Granted, I don't know every Expert outside of the show, but since Alan's a boardie, another thing I like is that there's a lot of boardies on The Experts

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote: That's what I like about this show, the specialties of the Experts that I actually know really surprise me!

(Granted, I don't know every Expert outside of the show, but since Alan's a boardie, another thing I like is that there's a lot of boardies on The Experts
You are surprised Jerome knows about Qing dynasty China? I'd be surprised if he didn't. Jerome knows everything.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

"...minority on everyone's ass." Wtf?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

For a regular expert I'm sure the material is double checked? With Jerome playing was the material Qingtuple checked? I'm looking forward to seeing the match.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote:
dhkendall wrote: That's what I like about this show, the specialties of the Experts that I actually know really surprise me!

You are surprised Jerome knows about Qing dynasty China? I'd be surprised if he didn't. Jerome knows everything.
I'm not surprised he knows about Qing Dynasty China. I'm surprised that that's his field of expertise.

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Can we talk strategy here, if we use spoiler tags? Is it better to leave a comment on YouTube?
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Jeanie, you're welcome to talk strategy here! Or YouTube, either way.

And you'll have a lot to talk about this week. It's the ever-popular JEROME!

SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Let's see...

A TV show I've never watched...

A band I've never listened to...

And a Chinese dynasty that I've... well, you know, it's a Chinese dynasty.

You're killin' me this week, Alan. :P
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SwanShadow wrote:Let's see...

Swan: I used to be the same way. "Oh, I'll only watch eps with topics I'm familiar with and/or that have boardies on them." But, I found those episodes (and the non-boardies and topics that didn't appeal to me) so entertaining and interesting (and I was learning something, my favourite thing to do) that I vowed to catch up on all of them.

(I feel the same way about the topics - although I have heard (and have on my iPhone) Blur's "Song 2", which is probably the one most of us have heard from them. I'm not expecting "Song 2" to make an appearance in the ep, since I'm gathering that's a Kid's Week question, being their most popular hit and all.)

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

SwanShadow wrote:Let's see...

Yeah, I think this show would be more popular if categories weren't so esoteric.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

dhkendall wrote:Swan: I used to be the same way. "Oh, I'll only watch eps with topics I'm familiar with and/or that have boardies on them."
Don't get me wrong, David. I thoroughly enjoy THE EXPERTS each week regardless of my familiarity with the categories or players. I thought this week's episode was great fun, as always.

But as my gentle ribbing of Alan (we inhabited the same taping group for Round One of the UToC) suggested, one would be hard-pressed to come up with three more arcane topics -- from an average-viewer perspective -- than this week's trifecta.

For the record, I knew two answers, both in Jerome's category:
Spoiler
The one about the Dowager Empress, and the one about the Imperial Examinations. (During my original run, I correctly answered an FJ relating to the latter -- a lucky guess at the time.)
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SwanShadow wrote:For the record, I knew two answers, both in Jerome's category:
Spoiler
The one about the Dowager Empress, and the one about the Imperial Examinations. (During my original run, I correctly answered an FJ relating to the latter -- a lucky guess at the time.)
I actually tied SwanShadow in something! :)

I just keep guessing
Spoiler
Boxer Rebellion/Boxers for every question and I also surprised myself with the total WAG on David Akers.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

You guys are having the very same discussion about categories we've had SO MANY TIMES.

Here's the dilemma --- Do we offer all totally pop, totally current categories? (That's what I always advocate because it would get us the most views --- and the most young viewers. And I have no shame.) Or do we offer arcane obscure categories -- that frequently also happen to be funny? (That's what one of my partners always advocates because he has some integrity.)

As it happens, we haven't really had to solve this conundrum because of our more pressing problem of finding contestants. The week of this taping, we found a League expert, a Blur expert, and Jerome, who could have also done French Revolution among other academic offerings. And that was it. So that's what we went with. And of course, they were all terrific players. And who would have ever thought to match them up against each other?

So does this trifecta of arcana help us get viewers? Not so much. But does it establish our show's brand --- that we find people who LOVE LOVE LOVE something you never really thought about? Yes. Which is good and valuable in its own way.

But do we still want to appeal to 15-year-old boys? God help us, but yes, it would be nice.

So there you are. Problem unsolved!

And, by the way, we've got some very big, very popular categories in the pipeline now that people are seeing the show online. This past weekend, we taped Glee vs. Breaking Bad vs. Resident Evil. All of which will help balance the 19th-Century Russian Literature expert who's coming up soon.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Alan_B wrote:
And, by the way, we've got some very big, very popular categories in the pipeline now that people are seeing the show online. This past weekend, we taped Glee vs. Breaking Bad vs. Resident Evil. All of which will help balance the 19th-Century Russian Literature expert who's coming up soon.
That's more like it , two of my favorite topics (though I wouldn't say I'm an expert in either). Offset somewhat by Glee, however.