Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Audition Emails

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:I got an invitation today.
WTG Opus! I'm happy for you!
opusthepenguin wrote:So just a reminder to everyone: Make sure your email is set up not to send your invitation to the SPAM folder.
I'm thinking that since I get (I'm assuming all the) Sony newsletters and Jeopardy emails (like announcing that the Teen Tournament is on this week or something) that I should be good, yes? (I don't even know where my Spam folder is, I guess I'd have to log into the webmail and check that ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:I got an invitation today.
Way to go, O Flightless One! You've got great advice already. Just don't forget your sense of humor when you're in the midst of the audition.
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

Got an invite to Kansas City on May 5th, but I won't be able to make that. There were NO Northwest cities this time around (did Seattle both of the last 2 times), and at the time of the test there was a chance I would be visiting my folks in Iowa in May, but that won't be happening until June now. Feels good to be 3/3, but sad that I can't go to the interview as they're so much fun.
dhkendall wrote:I'm thinking that since I get (I'm assuming all the) Sony newsletters and Jeopardy emails (like announcing that the Teen Tournament is on this week or something) that I should be good, yes? (I don't even know where my Spam folder is, I guess I'd have to log into the webmail and check that ... )
Nope, mine went to spam even though my regular J!/Sony e-mails get delivered to the inbox.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.
Which city did you pick?
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

NoName84 wrote:
Cortana431 wrote:if I havent got an audition invite even though i got 40+ right, should i assume i've been passed over? It just seems like a number of people have been getting invites lately.
Which city did you pick?
New York City
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

Cortana431 wrote:
NoName84 wrote:
Which city did you pick?
New York City
Not that anyone, myself included, is a shoe-in to get an audition, but you can be pretty sure that when they start to go out for your city of choice, SOMEBODY is going to mention it on this thread. The emails for any particular city go out around the same time, but the different cities can be quite widely spread out. No need to panic/be depressed just yet.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Do you think I would be more likely to get an audition invite for the college tournament? (JUST an audition, not getting on). I feel like less people pass the college test than the adult, but I could be wrong. Of course, there could simply be less audition spots available for the college tournament.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Cortana431 wrote:Do you think I would be more likely to get an audition invite for the college tournament? (JUST an audition, not getting on). I feel like less people pass the college test than the adult, but I could be wrong. Of course, there could simply be less audition spots available for the college tournament.
Well, you could also assume to population trying out for the college tourney is smaller than the general audition spots, since only full-time college undergrads are elligible.

Don't sweat the numbers game. Just do your part, and wait (and hope) for the rest to fall into place.
jbreynolds
Contributor

Post by jbreynolds »

Another Sunday May 5 in Kansas City here. Invitation arrived today.
Patzer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Patzer »

So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Patzer wrote:So I finally registered after lurking off/on for a while.

Auditioning in San Antonio tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous. Mostly about the 5 personal stories.
I just got back from mine - congrats, and just remember to have fun!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

I also had mine today. Were you in the 9:00 or 11:30 group?
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Opus, have good stories, even if you have to make them up!! Maggie LOVES to see personality and fun, so be your most interesting, vibrant self, or at least channel someone who is :). Play confidently and know that you deserve to be in that room. Why should they pick you?! Because you're great and they're going to love you, that's why. :)

Good luck!!
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

TryphonTournesol wrote:

9AM here. It wasn't bad at all. Had a good time. How was yours?
TryphonTournesol

Patzer wrote:
TryphonTournesol wrote:

9AM here. It wasn't bad at all. Had a good time. How was yours?
Pretty good (I was 11:30). Seemed to fly by. I couldn't believe it was 2:00 when I checked my watch at the end.
tiffanyjs

Post by tiffanyjs »

I was in the 11:30 San Antonio group (first audition ever), and I must say I was amazed at the lack of women both in my group and the 9am group. Is 3 women to 20+ men normal for auditions? It made me wonder- are female candidates more likely to get The Call to keep the show's male-female ratio up, simply because fewer of them audition? I think I did really well on the personality/mock show portion as a young spunky redhead but I'm worried because I know I missed at least 10 on the written portion (I missed some of the easiest ones by overthinking. Ugh).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Tiffany, if "at least 10" is "not much more than", you're fine. You'd have to bomb drastically for that written one to change your eligibility.
My last audition was way back in 2010 in Raleigh, but of the two dozen there (23, actually, one no-show) only 4 were women.

BTW, welcome to the boards!
TryphonTournesol

tiffanyjs wrote:I was in the 11:30 San Antonio group (first audition ever), and I must say I was amazed at the lack of women both in my group and the 9am group. Is 3 women to 20+ men normal for auditions? It made me wonder- are female candidates more likely to get The Call to keep the show's male-female ratio up, simply because fewer of them audition? I think I did really well on the personality/mock show portion as a young spunky redhead but I'm worried because I know I missed at least 10 on the written portion (I missed some of the easiest ones by overthinking. Ugh).
Hey, you were sitting right next to me! I was also a little surprised by the underrepresentation of females but I would suspect that way more men than women take the online quiz in the first place and it's probably representative of that. Quiz bowl was certainly quite a male-dominated sport when I played it, and there's definitely some demographic overlap.
TryphonTournesol

As to whether women have a better chance of getting on the show - I get the impression that most episodes go champion + one man and one woman. That would mean that, roughly, the number of men and women appearing on the show in a given season would be about equal. Thus, if the ratio of men to women in the tryouts is five or six to one, that suggests that as a woman you'd be five or six times more likely to make it on the show. This is VERY rough math, of course, and someone with better skills and/or more solid base information could perhaps give a better accounting of it, but it does seem to be generally the case. There hasn't been an all-male show (excluding tournaments) since 11/28/12, while there have been a few all-female shows since then (and a couple episodes where the returning champ was female and both challengers were male).
tiffanyjs

Post by tiffanyjs »

Hey, you were sitting right next to me! I was also a little surprised by the underrepresentation of females but I would suspect that way more men than women take the online quiz in the first place and it's probably representative of that. Quiz bowl was certainly quite a male-dominated sport when I played it, and there's definitely some demographic overlap.

I'd definitely be interested in why that is... (girls don't like to read? girls aren't educated? girls don't care enough to discover the world around them?) but I have a feeling that could open up a huge can of worms. :)

In the meantime, I sure hope the gender disparity works in my favor!