A question for the Canadian boardies

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

A question for the Canadian boardies

Post by econgator »

or anyone who can provide some insight, for that matter. :)

I'm going to visit my brother up in Calgary in a couple weeks. Is there anything there that is just "gots-to-see"? We do plan on heading out to Banff for a day (and even there, is there certain sights that should be seen above others?), but otherwise ... no real clue. He's only lived there for a few weeks, so he hasn't had much time to know what's what.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: A question for the Canadian boardies

Post by dhkendall »

I *think* the Calgary Stampede might be going on then, that's definitely the highlight of any visit to Calgary. Also makes the city very busy, last time we went, we were driving to and from the west coast. We planned to hit Calgary for July 1 (Canada Day) and stay with my cousin - when we got there, my cousin was nowhere to be found! We wound up renting a hotel room, but we decided, since we'd be coming back in the middle of Stampede season that, while we'd like to see it, if we don't have a place to stay it'd be impossible to get one. If you are there for Stampede time, count your lucky stars that you have your brother's to stay at.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything either, other than all the people dressed up in cowboy hats and jeans in the city. Will make you feel like you're in Texas.

ETA: According to [url=hjttp://www.calgarystampede.com]their website[/url] it's on July 8-17 this year. So I doubt you'll be there for Stampede if it's in "a few weeks".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I did a search on Google for "things to do in Calgary" and got this hit: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... berta.html

The Enigma machine is at the Military Museums (#17 from above) if that is of interest.
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:or anyone who can provide some insight, for that matter. :)

I'm going to visit my brother up in Calgary in a couple weeks. Is there anything there that is just "gots-to-see"? We do plan on heading out to Banff for a day (and even there, is there certain sights that should be seen above others?), but otherwise ... no real clue. He's only lived there for a few weeks, so he hasn't had much time to know what's what.
Lake Louise. My stepmother is Canadian, loves Banff (she was just there two weeks ago, just ahead of the Duke and Duchess) and she goes on and on about how beautiful Lake Louise is.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Enigma machine is at the Military Museums (#17 from above) if that is of interest.
Heh. Not only do we have an Enigma machine in one of our museums in Washington, but we have the Ark of the Covenant sitting around in a warehouse somewhere.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I've got a question that's been bugging me for a month or so and couldn't find a Canuck to answer it.

While watching the Stanley Cup finals from Vancouver, I was noticing the ads on the boards. I figured out most of them and was amused by the change of Boston Pizza to Vancouver Pizza for the series. The one I didn't get was behind the goal on the left side of the TV screen. It was two (or perhaps three) red equilateral triangles each with a small green (maple?) leaf. I don't recall seeing any text associated with it. Anybody know what this was about?

Oh, and riots in Vancouver??? WTF???
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Does the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wBYQKvmSk show the ad you are trying to identify? I have no clue, but I thought a visual could perhaps help?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

OrangeSAM wrote:I've got a question that's been bugging me for a month or so and couldn't find a Canuck to answer it.

While watching the Stanley Cup finals from Vancouver, I was noticing the ads on the boards. I figured out most of them and was amused by the change of Boston Pizza to Vancouver Pizza for the series. The one I didn't get was behind the goal on the left side of the TV screen. It was two (or perhaps three) red equilateral triangles each with a small green (maple?) leaf. I don't recall seeing any text associated with it. Anybody know what this was about?

Oh, and riots in Vancouver??? WTF???
I don't remember the ads, but it was probably Canadian Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/home.jsp?site=WebStore . Hardware/Tools/Sporting Goods/Auto repair. The best place to go with your father on a Saturday morning.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:ETA: According to [url=hjttp://www.calgarystampede.com]their website[/url] it's on July 8-17 this year. So I doubt you'll be there for Stampede if it's in "a few weeks".
As much as I like to have went to the Stampede, I purposefully planned my trip to be after it was over. Plane tickets were a bit more expensive those weeks and I didn't feel like putting up with the crowds.

Thanks alamble and Mark for the other suggestions.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote:or anyone who can provide some insight, for that matter. :)

My sister and her family live in Calgary, so I've done family touristy things there a couple of times. You'll be too late for Stampede (ends tomorrow). The rockies are a must. Banff and Lake Louise are lovely, but filled with tourists: Check out Moraine Lake for a little less crowds and pretty views. It doesn't take much of a hike to leave the busloads of tourists behind. The Banff centre has artists/speakers/films/concerts: If you are staying overnight in Banff, check out if there is anything on. The drive from Banff to Jasper on the Icefields parkway is one of the most spectacular in North America.

We enjoyed the Calgary Farmer's Market for a weekend morning/lunch trip. We didn't do a whole lot of urban stuff, except taking the kids to McDonalds playgrounds, so I confess I don't know much about the urban fun to be had. Canada Olympic Park is where the 1988 ski jump and bobsled for the olympics were. I think there is a crazy zip line down the ski jump in summer...

Drumheller (~1 hour east of Calgary) has an excellent dinosaur museum and cool (actually, stifiling hot) badlands.

Enjoy! Eat lots of beef!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:Does the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wBYQKvmSk show the ad you are trying to identify? I have no clue, but I thought a visual could perhaps help?
Yes it does, Mark. Behind one of the goals, left side of the trapezoid, between Home Hardware and aircanada.com.

Thanks for digging this up!
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

boson wrote:I don't remember the ads, but it was probably Canadian Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/home.jsp?site=WebStore . Hardware/Tools/Sporting Goods/Auto repair. The best place to go with your father on a Saturday morning.
Yes, that's it! Thanks, boson!
OCSam
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

OrangeSAM wrote:
boson wrote:I don't remember the ads, but it was probably Canadian Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/home.jsp?site=WebStore . Hardware/Tools/Sporting Goods/Auto repair. The best place to go with your father on a Saturday morning.
Yes, that's it! Thanks, boson!
That's Canadian Tire.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Drumheller - definitely. The Royal Tyrell Museum is the world's best dinosaur museum.

Otherwise: lunch at Lake Louise.

Calgary is one of my least-favourite places.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

It's been many years since I touristed the area, but if you have time for Jasper as well as Banff (it's a fabulous road between) and you're into the tourist thing, try the Columbia Icefield, the tram to Whistler Peak, and the boat ride on Maligne Lake. I enjoyed them all--wow--28 years ago.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and if you're a Trekkie, Vulcan, Alberta.

(Yes, a town devoted to Star Trek in the heart of redneck country.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012