2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by TheGrandPiano »

20 Wins
----------
#1. Julia Collins - $428,100

11 Wins
----------
#2. Arthur Chu - $297,200

8 Wins
--------
#3. Ben Ingram - $176,534
#4. Drew Horwood - $138,100

6 Wins
---------
#5. Jared Hall - $181,001
#6. Sandie Baker - $140,200
#7. Andrew Moore - $137,803

5 Wins
---------
#8. Jerry Slowik - $121,800
#9. Joshua Brakhage - $103,205
#10. Rebecca Rider - $101,600
#11. Sarah McNitt - $89,398
#12. Rani Peffer - $68,701

4 Wins
---------
#13. Mark Japinga - $112,600
#14. Mike Lewis - $102,800
#15. Catherine Hardee - $95,201
#16. Molly Lalonde - $53,500

3 Wins
---------
#17. Carlos Ross - $89,774
#18. Adam Holquist - $76,299
#19. Sara Garnett - $75,403
#20. Salvo Candela - $66,195
#21. Alexander Persaud - $61,000
#22. Neal Pollack - $60,798
#23. John Anneken - $60,112
#24. Jennifer Blanton - $57,000
#25. Ryan Alley - $56,800
#26. Tim Anderson - $56,001
#27. Stuart Anderson - $51,601
#28. Bill Cossen - $50,602
#29. Bill Tolany - $44,200
#30. Shane Curtis - $42,001

College Championship Champion (CCC)
----------------------------------------------
Jim Coury - $100,000
Terry O'Shea - $100,000

Teachers Tournament Champion (TTC)
----------------------------------------------
John Pearson - $100,000

Many thanks to chuck5982 for maintaining this so diligently all of Seasons 28 and 29.
Last edited by TheGrandPiano on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 62 times in total.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by CoachP »

Did anyone else think Alex was perhaps a bit premature when he said we'll see Joshua again at the next TOC? I mean, it's really early, and what if there are more than thirteen 6+ game winners in the next cycle? I know it's statistically not very likely, but all the paperwork includes language to the effect that 5 wins do not guarantee anything.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

CoachP wrote:Did anyone else think Alex was perhaps a bit premature when he said we'll see Joshua again at the next TOC? I mean, it's really early, and what if there are more than thirteen 6+ game winners in the next cycle? I know it's statistically not very likely, but all the paperwork includes language to the effect that 5 wins do not guarantee anything.
They have always stated to the general public that five wins guarantees a place in the ToC, so I am sure they would find a way to make it happen, especially in light of the number of 4x and even 3x winners that have made the cut. It could be as simple as calling it earlier than planned.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
CoachP wrote:Did anyone else think Alex was perhaps a bit premature when he said we'll see Joshua again at the next TOC? I mean, it's really early, and what if there are more than thirteen 6+ game winners in the next cycle? I know it's statistically not very likely, but all the paperwork includes language to the effect that 5 wins do not guarantee anything.
They have always stated to the general public that five wins guarantees a place in the ToC, so I am sure they would find a way to make it happen, especially in light of the number of 4x and even 3x winners that have made the cut. It could be as simple as calling it earlier than planned.

Brian
Or take them in chronological order (ie the first 16 who played get to go in the 2014 ToC, the remainder have to wait until next year), which would be fair (and I think someone said was done previously)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CoachP wrote:I know it's statistically not very likely, but all the paperwork includes language to the effect that 5 wins do not guarantee anything.
I have a feeling that verbiage is a remnant of the days of retiring 5x champs (my paperwork said that five wins was no guarantee of a car either, which they had stopped giving away six years before I taped). My suspicion is it's to prevent them from being contractually bound to invite a 5x champ to the ToC, should they later find that champ to have been ineligible to appear on the show.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

seaborgium wrote:
CoachP wrote:I know it's statistically not very likely, but all the paperwork includes language to the effect that 5 wins do not guarantee anything.
I have a feeling that verbiage is a remnant of the days of retiring 5x champs (my paperwork said that five wins was no guarantee of a car either, which they had stopped giving away six years before I taped). My suspicion is it's to prevent them from being contractually bound to invite a 5x champ to the ToC, should they later find that champ to have been ineligible to appear on the show.
Heck, my paperwork mentioned the car.

That being said, there's nothing like starting the qualifying period with a bang.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

That all makes sense to me-thanks for the responses!
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Don't forget about the college champions from seasons 29 and 30, and the season 30 teachers' champion, assuming the next ToC is in May 2014.

Thank you for taking over the list. I had been slow in updating the last list as that cycle was nearing an end. Enjoy!
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

Yes, thank you. I plan to put them in when they are "crowned." I appreciate it!
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

Bump.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Bump.
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

Hey everyone,

Can anyone outline any kind of process for predicting who will be invited to the ToC, and when? As far as I can tell I'm in 13th place at this point, and I have always assumed I'd be out of the running with only three wins, but enough friends and family are prodding me about this I figured I'd see what I could figure out. Do any of you know when they tape the shows? And when they make the decision on the cut-off? I can't quite put a finger on the details. Possibly/probably because I am not part of it ;-) I suppose if I really had made it I'd have heard something.

Salvo
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

Okay, never mind, kickerofelves just set me straight and pointed out that the ToCs are happening every fifteen months. Alas.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Not sure there'll be a TofC in the upcoming season, possibly due to the five week special tourney for the 30th anniversary Trebek season, and May 2014 could well be when the final two weeks of the tourney airs. SOme say the next TofC might be November 2014, but we'll see.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

svocan wrote:Hey everyone,

Can anyone outline any kind of process for predicting who will be invited to the ToC, and when? As far as I can tell I'm in 13th place at this point, and I have always assumed I'd be out of the running with only three wins, but enough friends and family are prodding me about this I figured I'd see what I could figure out. Do any of you know when they tape the shows? And when they make the decision on the cut-off? I can't quite put a finger on the details. Possibly/probably because I am not part of it ;-) I suppose if I really had made it I'd have heard something.

Salvo
I've been beaten, but I wrote this, so I'll post it.

They're not strictly annual any longer, but they are generally periodic. Conventional wisdom would suggest that this year's February ToC would be followed by a May one next year (which would likely tape in late March), but with the special Season 30 tournament apparently being planned, the next ToC seems (to me) likely to be put off until early season 31, like October or November (which I guess would probably be taped late summer 2014).

Predicting whether someone will make the next ToC is largely guesswork, based on what has happened in recent history. So I'm pessimistic in your case, since no 3xers have made the ToC since 2007, and two of the four ToCs since then didn't even have 3xer alternates (2009 had lowest earning 4xer Meredith Robbins in the #16 spot, and 2011 had 4xer Sara Heard as alternate, with 4xers Paul Wampler and Anthony Fox staying home). But then, the last time there was a tournament of past champions, the following ToC included five 3xers, a few of whose totals were below yours, so who knows? But if I were you, I'd do my best to put it out of my mind, and tell everyone else that it's probably over.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:But if I were you, I'd do my best to put it out of my mind, and tell everyone else that it's probably over.
Indeed, absolutely nothing is guaranteed (legally, even Ben and Drew shouldn't *expect* a spot), everyone is there at Her Majesty*'s Pleasure, and it's basically TPTB's whim to do what they want with everyone when they're done.

*Maggie? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Her Maggie's-T?
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:But if I were you, I'd do my best to put it out of my mind, and tell everyone else that it's probably over.
Indeed, absolutely nothing is guaranteed (legally, even Ben and Drew shouldn't *expect* a spot), everyone is there at Her Majesty*'s Pleasure, and it's basically TPTB's whim to do what they want with everyone when they're done.

*Maggie? ;)

Maybe my fantastic sweaters will have impressed them enough to invite me back ;-)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bump for visibility.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

So far, this looks like it's going to be one heck of a ToC. (If I do say so myself. :P)

No, seriously, with the contestants I've seen, and the distribution of long runs, I'm not confident in my slot. As to the "when when when when when" litany, I've been telling everyone that I won't know anything for at least a year because of the Battle of the Decades. Their eyes glaze pretty quickly and they shut up when I start babbling about how awesome it is that they're bringing back the best of 30 years of Jeopardy!.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH