City-specific online tests?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Thom
Contributor

City-specific online tests?

Post by Thom »

I just received an email with the subject "Jeopardy! is looking for contestant​s in Omaha!". Apparently, they're having a special online test for people who watch Jeopardy! on WOWT, the local affiliate, with an in-person audition to follow at some point in time. Which brings me to two questions:
1. Has anybody heard of this kind of test/audition before?
2. I had an in-person audition in KC back in May of this year. Do city-specific test/auditions have 18-month restrictions on eligibility? I started to register for this test, just to see what it would say, and I didn't see any mention of such restrictions.

Thom in Omaha
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: City-specific online tests?

Post by immaf »

I believe they held a city-specific audition in Cleveland last year. IIRC, it seemed to have something to do with a new or different affiliate picking up Jeopardy!

If you had an in-person audition in May, you are in the contestant pool for the next 18 months, during which time you should not take another test in earnest. I think they would be okay if you took the Omaha test "for fun", assuming that there is an option to do so.
Teems with quiet fun.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

They did some city-specific tests for some cities in Ohio (?) earlier in the year. (Cleveland and Cincinnati, I think?)

I think having the audition would disqualify you, but I can't really speak to that.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thom wrote: 1. Has anybody heard of this kind of test/audition before?
Sounds very much like the one they had for Cleveland a year or so ago.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

They're doing the same thing in Dallas. The email said it's to celebrate their new to a new station. I'm excited about the second chance to get an audition and test in October (if I'm not working that night. I'll have to see what I can pull off. I will do what I have to do. I have priorities.) :mrgreen:
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

immaf wrote: I think they would be okay if you took the Omaha test "for fun", assuming that there is an option to do so.
You can officially register to take it for fun if you answer yes to any of the 3 questions about your eligibility; Have you been on the show before, have you been on any game show in the past year, etc.

Oddly enough, if you try to register for the kid or teen test for fun, it will not let you register for fun if you give a birthday for the "kid" or "teen" that is not within the eligible birthdates. It will only let you register for fun if "they're" ineligible because of being on the show before or another game show recently. So if you want to take the teen or kid test for fun, give your birthdate as the parent's birthdate since they will only let the parent register on the form, then make up a birthdate within the parameters for your "child" or "teen"
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

ten96lt wrote:
immaf wrote: I think they would be okay if you took the Omaha test "for fun", assuming that there is an option to do so.
You can officially register to take it for fun if you answer yes to any of the 3 questions about your eligibility; Have you been on the show before, have you been on any game show in the past year, etc.

Oddly enough, if you try to register for the kid or teen test for fun, it will not let you register for fun if you give a birthday for the "kid" or "teen" that is not within the eligible birthdates. It will only let you register for fun if "they're" ineligible because of being on the show before or another game show recently. So if you want to take the teen or kid test for fun, give your birthdate as the parent's birthdate since they will only let the parent register on the form, then make up a birthdate within the parameters for your "child" or "teen"
That form sounds like it's designed to prevent fun.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

Magna wrote:
ten96lt wrote:

That form sounds like it's designed to prevent fun.
It used to be much easier when you could simply check a box while filling out the registration form stating that you didn't want to be considered for an audition, but just wanted to take the test for fun. I wish they would create a button you could click to register for fun and bypass all of the eligibility questions.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Are only Omaha residents eligible for the Omaha audition, or is it open for anyone close by? I think this is the closest they've ever come to Sioux Falls, and there are a bunch of people here I'd recommend to take the test, if they can. (Our airport really don't have cheap flights to anywhere, but everybody here's driven to Omaha at least once.)
Thom
Contributor

Post by Thom »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Are only Omaha residents eligible for the Omaha audition, or is it open for anyone close by?
The announcement says that it's for people who watch J! on WOWT-8. I don't know if that's a requirement, however.

Thom