Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:I think the Beast is more beatable against one strong player by himself. Even with one strong and two average players, you'd run the risk of them getting competitive and trying to ring in and guess or them staring at each other waiting for someone to buzz in and at least pass the question.
I assume that's what the bonus steps for each contestant that gets through are for.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I think the Beast is more beatable against one strong player by himself. Even with one strong and two average players, you'd run the risk of them getting competitive and trying to ring in and guess or them staring at each other waiting for someone to buzz in and at least pass the question.
I assume that's what the bonus steps for each contestant that gets through are for.
I always thought it odd that the more players meant more initial steps, but that reason makes a lot of sense.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think we should all be grateful they didn't show the poster of Bea Arthur.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I know David Bykowski. He's a very nice person. I was disappointed he didn't go further to share the prize with Raj.

Are players encouraged to insult The Beast?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The new season starts tonight, so we'll see if any familiar faces appear to take on The Beast.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

silverscreentest wrote:Are players encouraged to insult The Beast?
Yeah, pretty much.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Great comeback by the Beast! I hope this show has further tryouts.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Yes, but I think
Spoiler
it was more a "they lost it" than he won it. There were at least 2- or even 3- early passes in their final question set that were easily gettable, then a couple more later. If they had even two of them, he would've run out of time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've noticed a few changes:
1) The Beast no longer comments on most of his multiple choice responses
2) They no longer call out the player's name when they ring in during the Chase.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote:I've noticed a few changes:
2) They no longer call out the player's name when they ring in during the Chase.
I didn't get to watch the show, but number 2 here is a big deal. That waste of time, while it may have seemed trivial, repeated somewhere around 20 times during the round, was a huge advantage for the chaser.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

There has to be some cue, though. Else how would you know if you should answer after you ring in? If more than one person rings in and they simultaneously give different answers, what then?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote:There has to be some cue, though. Else how would you know if you should answer after you ring in? If more than one person rings in and they simultaneously give different answers, what then?
It was hard to tell, but I'm guessing the players just look down and have some way to know if they were the first to ring in. Presumably a light will come on for the first to ring in, and the others will be locked out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
Paucle wrote:There has to be some cue, though. Else how would you know if you should answer after you ring in? If more than one person rings in and they simultaneously give different answers, what then?
It was hard to tell, but I'm guessing the players just look down and have some way to know if they were the first to ring in. Presumably a light will come on for the first to ring in, and the others will be locked out.
I watched that part again and I think we will need inside information for the answer. The players seemed to be looking towards Brooke, but down. I could not pick up any lights on the floor or on the front of the game board for the individual chase that seemed to signal who was in first.

My guess would be something with three lights viewers can't see that is low between Brooke and the game board. I would not think it's a monitor since the players on the ends would would be confused from left and right appearance vs. position.

Is there such a thing as game shows having a dualshock motion sensing signaling device like the on the Playstation systems. First in feels a vibration? That would do it.

Whatever the answer it gives the players a better chance to get a few more right facing The Beast. We'll have to see if all 8 games from this season have it. Based on the players from last night we can guess they had auditions perhaps in Seattle, Los Angeles and Boston?

Trevor looked vaguely familiar so I would guess it was not his first trivia appearance.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:Trevor looked vaguely familiar so I would guess it was not his first trivia appearance.
I don't know him well, but I know him. He's an O'Brien's Pub Quiz regular, and has been on The Experts.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The weird thing is that there are, I believe, two episodes left from the "first season" that have yet to air. So assuming that they will air at some point, we'll be going back and forth between old episodes and new episodes, so in some the players will hear their names, and in others, they won't.

I had the same thought as Mark about some sort of Dualshock effect, where the players would feel some kind of buzz or vibration to signal to them that they're the first to ring in. I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely, but it would be an interesting innovation.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Trevor looked vaguely familiar so I would guess it was not his first trivia appearance.
I don't know him well, but I know him. He's an O'Brien's Pub Quiz regular, and has been on The Experts.
I was kind of non-plussed he picked Little Orphan Annie as a comic that started in 1950; can't think of a strip more tied to its time period than that.

I have to admit I forwarded through the first contestant's rap; I can barely think of something I would LESS want to hear than that.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
The World Cup guy, of course. Besides Millionaire and J! I need to include The Experts for recent trivia shows in recalling people. It would make sense I've seen him in the rogue's gallery as well. Thanks.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jay and Steve's episode hasn't aired from last season, so that's at least one. Very odd.

Maybe it's just me, but the questions for each individual player's chase seemed much easier in this episode than last season. There was no reason anyone should have been caught by The Beast.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I suspect the Beast commented just as much in the studio as he had in the first-season episodes, and they just had to edit more of them out due to the circumstances of Tuesday's game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:
I suspect the Beast commented just as much in the studio as he had in the first-season episodes, and they just had to edit more of them out due to the circumstances of Tuesday's game.
Thanks for the insight.