Tuesday, October 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6462, 2012-10-23

CONTESTANTS
Martin Powell, a chemical engineer from Bowie, Maryland
Susan Petracco, an e-commerce consultant from Viera, Florida
Betsy Chisolm, a volunteer storyteller from Greeley, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Welcome, folks. Yeah, I know--$5,199 doesn't sound like much compared to what our previous champions have been winning on Jeopardy!, but yesterday was a strange game. A lot of material that the contestants didn't feel comfortable with, and so did not perform as well as they might have. Today--different categories, different contestants, except for our champion. Susan and Martin, welcome aboard. Good luck, players. Here we go into the Jeopardy! round. And let's see what the categories are as we start today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ENGLISH BEAT (4/5)
LITERARY HOUSES (4/5)
SEND ME A TEXT (4/5)
THE HUDSON RIVER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SHRINK RAP (5/5)
BEARD AWARD-WINNING CHEFS (4/5) (Alex: And then, in honor of the James Beard Foundation...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Betsy: 17 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Susan: 5 R, 1 W
Martin: 3 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Betsy: $4,400
Susan: $1,000
Martin: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Yeah, the group refers to itself as Muse, not The Muse. My bad. Martin Powell from Bowie, Maryland. Chemical engineer who took boxing lessons from...?

Martin: Uh, Riddick Bowe.

Alex: Whoa.

Martin: Uh, eah.

Alex: That doesn't sound like fun.

Martin: No, he's pretty tall and big, so...

Alex: He's big and tall, and he hits hard.

Martin: Yeah, he does, yeah.

Alex: Why would you take boxing lessons?

Martin: Well, he was at the local gym that I was in. One day, they said our new instructor is Riddick Bowe, he showed up, and it was very intense.

Alex: Did it discourage--did it discourage you from thinking of a boxing career?

Martin: Uh, yes, it did.

Alex: Good. I thought it might.

Alex: Susan Petracco from Viera, Florida. Family sitting down to watch a movie when your daughter was 3, and then what happened?

Susan: Yes, the FBI warning came up, and then the copyright information, and it was white letters on a blue background, and she put her hands on her hips and said, "Jeopardy!? I thought we were watching a movie!"

[Laughter]

Alex: We have influenced many spheres. Many spheres.

Alex: Betsy Chisolm is our champion. She is a volunteer storyteller. Where?

Betsy: I storytell in a first- and second-grade classroom in an elementary school in Greeley. And I like to share fantasy stories, fairy tales, and folk tales just to get the kids a bit of a dream in the middle of their day.

Alex: Makes me want to wish that I were back in first and second grade. But that's not likely to happen.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Martin found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Betsy had $4,800, Susan had $600, and Martin was at $1,200. Martin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

THE HUDSON RIVER $1000: This Italian explorer reached the Hudson River in 1524, 85 years before Henry Hudson
(Martin: Who is da Gama?)
(Alex: No, who is [*]--and there's a bridge named for him.)
(Martin: Right.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY HOUSES $800: Jane Eyre met Mr. Rochester at this hall

SEND ME A TEXT $800: PMFJI:
"Pardon me for" doing this

THE ENGLISH BEAT $1000: Perhaps Euterpe inspires Dominic Howard when he drums for this "Black Holes And Revelations" band
[Alex stated the name of the band as "The [*]", and corrected it after the break to simply [*].]

BEARD AWARD-WINNING CHEFS $800: French food isn't moist inside & crunchy outside, so Michel Richard "discovered texture" at this fast food place
(Betsy: What is Krispy Kreme?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Betsy: $9,400
Susan: $1,400
Martin: -$600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ENGLISH BEAT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: But this'll be a little different than the one we had in the first round.)
TRUNK SHOW (4/4)
INKS & DYES (4/4)
WHO "R-U"? (4/5) (Alex: Those two letters will begin each correct response.)
THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY (4/5)
WORDS IN U.S. CAPITALS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: The correct response will be a word that is found in one of our U.S. capitals, in order.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Betsy: 10 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Martin: 7 R, 1 W
Susan: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Susan snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Betsy had $11,400, Susan had $4,200, and Martin was at $1,400. Susan wagered $3,000.

WORDS IN U.S. CAPITALS $2000: This Roman poet in Rhode Island's

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Betsy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Betsy had $13,400, Susan had $7,600, and Martin was at $3,400. Betsy wagered $2,000.

THE ENGLISH BEAT $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animated diagram of the Battle of Agincourt on the monitor.) At the 1415 Battle of Agincourt, French cavalry charged across a muddy field and were cut down in waves by English archers, leading to an overwhelming victory for this king & his band of brothers
(Betsy: Who is Henry IV?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY $2000: Characters in this operetta include captain Richard Warrington & Marietta d'Altena

WORDS IN U.S. CAPITALS $1200: This noodle in California's

WHO "R-U"? $2000: Abe Lincoln was fond of this New Salem girl who died in 1835, but a grand romance is not supported by historical evidence

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Betsy: $18,600 (lock game)
Susan: $9,200
Martin: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S RHYMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Betsy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Susan: Wager $2,401 to cover Martin.
Martin: You have the hope of surpassing Susan for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,000 and $5,798.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Oddly, this mammalian character with a rhyming name suffers from alopecia

FINAL SCORES
Martin: $5,800 - $3,400 = $2,400 (Who is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Susan: $9,200 - $2,401 = $6,799 (Who is Jack Sprat?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Betsy: $18,600 + $2,200 = $20,800 (Who is Fuzzy Wuzzy?) (2-day champion: $25,999)
(Alex: If you don't know the meaning of the word "alopecia", you are in deep trouble on this clue.)
(Alex: [To Betsy] Alopecia--a loss of hair. [*] was a bear / [*] had no hair / [*]...)
(Betsy: ...wasn't fuzzy, was he?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Betsy: $20,600, 27 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Susan: $8,200, 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Martin: $7,000, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Betsy: 28/59 = .475
Susan: 12/59 = .203
Martin: 10/59 = .169
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE HUDSON RIVER $400: Seen here is the original cell block of this institution on the banks of the Hudson
(Martin: What is Attica?)
(Susan: What is Leavenworth?)

BEARD AWARD-WINNING CHEFS $600: Chicago's Grant Achatz used his kitchen discipline to beat back cancer of this, a horror for a chef
(Martin: What is, uh, the stomach?)

WHO "R-U"? $800: You better work if you want to name this Glamazon

THE ENGLISH BEAT $800: ...this German Air Force in 1940's Battle of Britain
(Martin: Uhh... the Royal Air Force?)

INKS & DYES $800: The ancient Phoenicians developed Tyrian purple dye from the glands of this gastropod
(Susan: What is an octopus?)

INKS & DYES $1200: Chamomile, turmeric & saffron have been used to produce natural dyes of this primary color
(Alex: Good. With less than a minute to go.)

TRUNK SHOW $1600: Tai played an elephant named Rosie in this circus-set romance based on a Sara Gruen novel
(Susan: [No response])

TRUNK SHOW $800: In an animated series on Disney Junior, this elephant king has a grandson named Badou
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Verrazano
Thornfield Hall
jumping in
Muse
KFC
Ovid (in Providence)
Henry V
Naughty Marietta
ramen (in Sacramento)
Ann Rutledge
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Sing Sing
the tongue
RuPaul
the Luftwaffe
a snail
yellow
Water for Elephants
Babar

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Children's Rhymes
Oddly, this mammalian character with a rhyming name suffers from alopecia.
SpoilerShow
Who is Fuzzy Wuzzy? Martin had no guess; Susan said Jack Sprat.

Betsy Chisolm: $18,600+$2,200=$20,800...now a 2-day champion with $25,999
Susan Petracco: $9,200-$2,401=$6,799
Martin Powell: $5,800-$3,400=$2,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:27 pm

And even if you do know what alopecia is, it may not help you in the slightest.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Ugh, I couldn't wake my brain up today.

Total 0/5 on both English Beats. Ran Words in US Capitals. I have no idea why I precalled Providence when I couldn't think of any word that would be within it. The title character of the obscure 80s cartoon Ovide and the Gang?

My mind just came unraveled on Hudson. Clammed on Sing Sing and Rhine, and forgot Eleanor Roosevelt's first name. I keep thinking Sing Sing is in China for some reason. (Also, Leavenworth was a WTF?-worthy response.)

Chef was also an 0/5. Didn't see any obvious TOM to KFC on $800, and the other 4 just went in one ear and out the other.

I mentally WAGged three of the Opera clues (Wagner, Pagliacci, Sibelius), but lack of confidence kept me from pulling any of those triggers. And I know Pagliacci entirely from a Ray Stevens song.

I think an absolutely dreadful Civil War class is why my mind shuts down whenever I try to learn anything relating to war. Same thing with the not one, but two, God-awful biology classes I had. I literally cringe whenever I hear something like "cytoplasm".

Wording on Trunk Show for $2000 seemed really weird. I couldn't figure out what they were asking.

FJ! was frustrating. I knew I'd seen the word alopecia before, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it meant. I tried thinking of random animal characters in rhymes but came up completely blank. Finally, I tried rhyming names but got nowhere. I'm sure I could've gotten this on a normal day, but I've been extremely tired today.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't think I've ever heard that rhyme, so FJ was hopeless for me.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm

And Betsy gets a lock game on the last clue in DJ! Now I see she overwagered too. I played the game off the archive and they hadn't yet displayed her FJ! wager. In the end she got away with it, because second place wagered for second place, not expecting the leader to overwager, and second didn't get FJ! right anyway.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:54 pm

I loved FJ. This happens to be one of my favorite rhymes.

Given her storytelling gig working with first- and second-graders, Betsy seemed to have a bit of an advantage on FJ and in the fictional elephants category. But it's a good thing she's not teaching math to the kids. She earned a lock on the last clue and then threw it away with an inexplicable FJ wager. To paraphrase the Red Queen, you couldn't justify that wager with both hands if you tried.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wording on Trunk Show for $2000 seemed really weird. I couldn't figure out what they were asking.

FJ! was frustrating. I knew I'd seen the word alopecia before, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it meant. I tried thinking of random animal characters in rhymes but came up completely blank. Finally, I tried rhyming names but got nowhere. I'm sure I could've gotten this on a normal day, but I've been extremely tired today.
Alopecia means loss of hair. In the Trunk Show clue, they were asking to complete the title of the song from the movie they'd referenced in the clue.

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm

I thought the English Beat 200 clue was incredibly undervalued. The Stones drummer? Really?

Anyway, glad to get FJ, but Betsy opened herself to a Clavining.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm

^^ I knew what alopecia meant, but it just wouldn't come to me during the Think! music.

"from the song in 'Dumbo' 'When I See' this" was incredibly awkward on that $2000 clue. If they had put "titled" after "Dumbo", then it would've scanned much better IMO. As it was written, I wasn't sure what was where. (I still don't think I'd have gotten it anyway, as I've never seen "Dumbo".)
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:03 pm

There was not just 1, but 2 clues that I think the writers stole from me tonight. But on the whole this was another board that kicked my butt.

For FJ I focused in on the word "hairy" and tried to think of a rhyme that started with it. This one was a forehead slapper.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Fishercat wrote: Anyway, glad to get FJ, but Betsy opened herself to a Clavining.
Ain't that the truth. I told my wife at the end of the game that Betsy had a lock in the end, unless she pulled a Cliff Clavin.

Nice to see the clue writers have a sense of humor: The Dreaded Opera Category, indeed.

Did fine on the second English Beat, but I don't know, some of the categories just seemed... off to me.

Although the FJ was an Instaget for me. No particular reason why, it just popped right up in the cluttered attic that's my memory.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:26 pm

I couldn't remember what that word meant. I guessed Georgie Porgie becasue that was all that came to mind, but was pretty sure they were going for a non-human. After the music stopped I looked up the word, but still nothing came to me.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Ran the Hudson- ez-peasy for this Up-stater. No offense, but the "Leavenworth" guess elicited a guffaw!
All but one in the category where you needed to name the place from a book.
Only knew 2 in Opera. Though I generally dread it as FJ, I usually do better on the boards in that category.
DD in a wordplay, where I will most probably know the word I'll be playing with? All in, fersure.

!!!! risking the lock game?? that's BOLD! Wouldn't have mattered since 2nd place missed, plus she didn't go all in, but wow! No way she could catch up even on a double up, yet the door was left open.
econgator wrote:And even if you do know what alopecia is, it may not help you in the slightest.
This.
Kept trying to remember a character named "Hairy..." Then tried to think of other words for hairy. It never dawned on me how brilliant the clue was written, as all of it really references the entire rhyme. So even though I didn't get it, it may be one of my favorite clues of recent memory.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 pm

BADuBois wrote:
Nice to see the clue writers have a sense of humor: The Dreaded Opera Category, indeed.
Two of the clues were Pavlovian though. CLowns=Pagliacci, Finnish Composer=Sibelius. Maybe German opera composer in the top box=Wagner, too was a bit Pavlovian

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Ironic to see only one missed question in the usually dreaded opera category.
I was totally lost on FJ, trying to think of a bald classic nursery rhyme character. Completely off base.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Good boards for me overall, and I got the FJ pretty quickly after thinking of bald rhyming mammals. For some reason I associated Fuzzy Wuzzy with Sunday school, then remembered it's the old joke I was thinking of instead. (Mom: "Timmy, what did you learn about in Sunday School today?" Timmy: "A bear!" Mom: "A bear?!" Timmy: "Yeah -- Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear!" Rimshot. I'm here all week -- wait, no, that was two weeks ago. Try the fish.)

susanp

Post by susanp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 pm

econgator wrote:And even if you do know what alopecia is, it may not help you in the slightest.
Thank you, I am glad to hear that! I knew what it meant right off, but I couldn't recall Fuzzy Wuzzy to save my life. After the show I told Alex, "Jack Sprat doesn't even rhyme!!!" but I don't think he understood me. It was good for a chuckle.
Paucle wrote:No offense, but the "Leavenworth" guess elicited a guffaw!
FWIW, I knew it was a stupid answer. I was trigger-happy for some reason, and hit the button when it popped into my head. I figured saying it was better than saying nothing, at least. But I would likely have gone with Riker's Island if I was sitting in comfort in my living room and still been wrong.

I don't know if Martin and Betsy are on here, but in case you are - it was a pleasure playing with you! Still one of the best experiences of my life, even if I didn't win!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Leander wrote:Ironic to see only one missed question in the usually dreaded opera category.
I was totally lost on FJ, trying to think of a bald classic nursery rhyme character. Completely off base.
I would've run the category except for that bizarre last clue. Show of hands: how many of you have even heard of an operetta called DarlingNaughty Marietta? I listen to opera. I like opera. I also like Broadway musicals. I have never seen DarlingNaughty Marietta so much as mentioned, never seen a recording of it when flipping through CDs in the Classical or Musicals section, never seen it programmed for any opera company, light or otherwise.

I kicked myself on the reveal for FJ. I'd actually said "hair bear?" at one point, trying to come up with a rhyming mammalian name that would make alopecia an odd condition. I am completely familiar with the Fuzzy Wuzzy poem. But somehow it never entered my head.

[NOTE: Post edited to contain correct title of Naughty Marietta. The word "Darling" is crossed out rather than deleted to make the ensuing discussion comprehensible to anyone coming late to this thread.]
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.