Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by lisa0012 »

hanzz wrote:How did Alex pronounce "hippotigris"? I pronounced it reading it from the thread like "hi-PAW-tuh-gris" without even realizing the significance of the "-tigris" part.
hi-puh-TEE-gris, I think. And he rolled his r.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Limbo" was my only miss in "O". I've never heard limbo to refer to that. I thought that was purgatory.
That was a stupid clue. The writers usually do at least a cursory bit of research. There is no limbo in Catholic doctrine.
I have the impression they screw up Biblical and theological clues with greater frequency than other kinds. But maybe I just don't catch the other kinds as readily.

Limbo does enjoy an unofficial status in Catholic thought. But even then, it doesn't quite fit the clue. In Dante's Inferno, Limbo is the first circle of Hell. It is home to "virtuous pagans" including Dante's (the character's) tour guide, Virgil.

Speaking of Dante, I think he provides us with what may have been the best response to the clue. "What is Purgatorio?"

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Food Network for me with no hesitation to count it as correct no matter what I heard on the show.

Welcome John-Clark: An opponent losing 9000 on two DDs in the DJ round would usually seal the match. It must have been frustrating for Keith to be so solid on the buzzer timing to get back in it to wrestle away the game in FJ. Two good things about the way Keith won are it doesn't matter about Hefner for Playboy or 60 for 48 minutes in the NBA. Leading and not getting FJ correct in a first game? There is a long list.

Do No Pass "O" for $1000: A round of gunfire

Any way that ammo could be acceptable as well as salvo?

For Casey I blurted out cap and wanted it back as soon as I thought about hat rhyming with bat. Where was 4-2 in the category? I was waiting for that one.

The FJ clue had me trying to figure out horse tiger. Zebra? In an old circus? Works for me. Keith is going to regret his big bets on the DDs and be sweating out a spot in the TOC. What's that Yogi? Yeah, you're right it wasn't over until John-Clark's response was shown.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ernest Lawrence Thayer was on the bench for me in the Casey category, but never got called. I wonder if he is on Joon's fantasy team.

I knew hippo had something to with water, but couldn't pull it out, if I'd gotten river horse I might have been home free.

Tough break, there, JC, but welcome to the board.

erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

davey wrote:For those in the NY area, Jeopardy was aired tonight on the LiveWell channel, a WABC digital channel, 467 on Verizon Cable. Probably the same tomorrow.[/q]

Yep, my wife noticed that on the crawl at the bottom of the screen. We only missed the first half of the first round, an acceptable loss.

[q]I'm happy to have parsed out FJ! tonight, from hippo = horse, tiger = striped...
I had the same idea on the meanings of the words, but for some reason decided the giraffe was horse- and tiger-like enough. Oops.

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought John Clark was very loud and obnoxious at first, but he seemed to mellow in DJ!
Maggie: "John-Clark, you're doing great, but the stage manager says you could be a little quieter. You're being just a little loud. Great work on the buzzer. Ok! Let's get going!"

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

johnclarklevin wrote:I think maybe I was just trying really hard not to be too quiet. I certainly don't consider myself a brash person!

I'll post here again about my experience later tonight!
That was an amazing game, John-Clark! I just watched it with my sons (ages 5 and 8), who have become fans since I was on. Really, hammer and tongs between you and Keith, but Anne kept sliding in. Don't sweat the volume. You sounded a bit loud in the first part, but it's really impossible on stage to know, and they ask you to practically yell it out! I expect Maggie or Glenn suggested you drop your volume a little?

Before FJ wagers were revealed, I was talking about this with my boys. I said, you know, Anne's's best bet might be $0, with this logic. Keith has to bet everything. John-Clark has to bet enough to beat Keith if they're both right. But Anne can't win if either Keith or John-Clark is correct. John-Clark, your bet would put you, if you were wrong, below Anne's score if she bet nothing.

So if i were Anne, I would have wagered $0 to either finish 2nd (and get $2,000 instead of $1,000) or to win with _no answer_ if Keith and John-Clark were wrong. A weird strategy, but it would be the correct one.

Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Out here in Boston, Jeopardy got preempted by storm coverage. Look, I know the weather's bad, let me watch Jeopardy!

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

erak wrote:
davey wrote:For those in the NY area, Jeopardy was aired tonight on the LiveWell channel, a WABC digital channel, 467 on Verizon Cable. Probably the same tomorrow.[/q]

Yep, my wife noticed that on the crawl at the bottom of the screen. We only missed the first half of the first round, an acceptable loss.

[q]I'm happy to have parsed out FJ! tonight, from hippo = horse, tiger = striped...
I had the same idea on the meanings of the words, but for some reason decided the giraffe was horse- and tiger-like enough. Oops.
I got hippo=horse and tigris=tiger pretty much instantly. Then I thought about hippopotamus=river horse - one piece of the name is an animal, the other is its habitat. And I thought "what about a name where both parts are animals?" And I thought of camelopard, the old name for giraffe, and the rest of the time I was trying to figure out what looks like a giraffe but with stripes. <sigh> I knew it was wrong, but I just couldn't shove the giraffe image out of my head. I finally let it go and shouted "ZEBRA" after Anne's reveal. (It's like I just needed to see another wrong answer to extinguish the giraffe.)
I guess my Protestant upbringing gave me just enough slightly incorrect awareness of Catholic theology to think limbo=purgatory and pick the one that ends in "O".

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone surprised that they took "Food TV" for Food Network?
I just figured that "Food TV" was the American name of the channel that I watch (well, it's called "Food Network Canada" up here, but it usually just goes by "Food Network", which was my answer). Good to know, I assumed I was wrong by giving another Canadianism yet again (and couldn't confirm if those shows appeared on the Canadian channel or not.)

I'm glad that us here in Winnipeg (or Minneapolis, where I get my J! from) are way too far away to worry about hurricanes or earthquakes, giving me an uninterrupted J!. Curiously, though, the morning repeat was interrupted halfway through with some "breaking news" (couldn't tell what it was as I was fast forwarding, but I saw pictures of Obama and Romney speaking, a map of Ohio, and video of Sandy making landfall (with the ubiquitous "reporter out in the rain"))

Oh,a nd yes, Jeopardy!, we get it, you're in love with your new Cleveland broadcaster! Sheesh, why don't you two get a room already! (I swear, I know that's not the only new station they picked up, what makes WOIO so special (or, maybe a better question is why do they hate the old one so much?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Yeah. And what about WIVB & CHCH? Are they going to inspire a category (or two)?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

closetbuddhism
Contributor

Post by closetbuddhism »

It would be funny if Maggie told someone not to be loud. :lol:

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Too bad J! airs at 7:30 instead of 7:00 in Cleveland. It would have been a lot funnier if they had made that shoutout to their new Cleveland affiliate on an episode that never even saw the air there. :lol:

johnclarklevin
Contributor

Post by johnclarklevin »

glennfleishman wrote:
johnclarklevin wrote:I think maybe I was just trying really hard not to be too quiet. I certainly don't consider myself a brash person!

I'll post here again about my experience later tonight!
That was an amazing game, John-Clark! I just watched it with my sons (ages 5 and 8), who have become fans since I was on. Really, hammer and tongs between you and Keith, but Anne kept sliding in. Don't sweat the volume. You sounded a bit loud in the first part, but it's really impossible on stage to know, and they ask you to practically yell it out! I expect Maggie or Glenn suggested you drop your volume a little?

Before FJ wagers were revealed, I was talking about this with my boys. I said, you know, Anne's's best bet might be $0, with this logic. Keith has to bet everything. John-Clark has to bet enough to beat Keith if they're both right. But Anne can't win if either Keith or John-Clark is correct. John-Clark, your bet would put you, if you were wrong, below Anne's score if she bet nothing.

So if i were Anne, I would have wagered $0 to either finish 2nd (and get $2,000 instead of $1,000) or to win with _no answer_ if Keith and John-Clark were wrong. A weird strategy, but it would be the correct one.
As it happens, no one said anything to me about the volume. I must have just settled down a bit naturally. It was preempted by storm coverage where I live, unfortunately (had to send the guests home disappointed), so I haven't actually seen it yet.

I agree with you on the reasoning for Anne's position.

EDIT: I'm not sure if my next post went through properly, but I just wanted to add that because I didn't get a chance to watch my show, and was counting on that jogging my memory regarding the things I was going to post about it here, I'll have to wait to post in more detail until I get a chance to see it.

In the meanwhile, I'll just say that Anne and Keith were gracious and talented players to be on with, and I feel fortunate to have taken part in the game.

johnclarklevin
Contributor

Post by johnclarklevin »

As I said, it was preempted in my area, so I didn't get to see the show. What's more, I was counting on watching it to jog my memory for what I would post in this thread. I'll post here as soon as I figure out a way to see it.

In the meanwhile, I'll just say that it was a hard-fought, close-run game. Anne and Keith were both gracious and talented players, and I feel fortunate to have been a part of the experience.

earendel

Post by earendel »

davey wrote:
bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Limbo" was my only miss in "O". I've never heard limbo to refer to that. I thought that was purgatory.
That was a stupid clue. The writers usually do at least a cursory bit of research. There is no limbo in Catholic doctrine.

Brian
Perhaps the cursoriness of the research is the problem, because it's easy to find Catholic sources online that define it, like CatholicReference.net, which says:
Catholic theology distinguishes two kinds of limbo.

It also says:
The Church has never defined the existence of limbo, although she has more than once supported the fact by her authority.
FWIW Limbo is described as an "antechamber" to Hell in Dante's The Divine Comedy. It's the place where virtuous pagans and infants that die before being baptized go. Dante describes it as a pleasant place but one that is without hope, since the inhabitants here can't even go to Purgatory to atone for their sins and eventually progress to Paradise.

ETA: someone already beat me to the punch on this one. Also my first thought was "Purgatorio", which is the second part of The Divine Comedy (in Italian).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BobF

Post by BobF »

Different thinking here. I "knew" hippo was horse, and then I had the Tigris part, so I thought about the Tigris and Euphrates and came up with camel. Oh well, live and learn.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BobF wrote:Different thinking here. I "knew" hippo was horse, and then I had the Tigris part, so I thought about the Tigris and Euphrates and came up with camel. Oh well, live and learn.
I went down the wrong branch of the mammalian tree also. After clanging it in my head for about 10 seconds, remembered the "hippo" part meant "horse." So -- I kept thinking "horse cat" (is that kinda like a bearcat?), didn't even think of the stripes at all. Threw down "elephant" just to have something.

And I did a major head-slap when I saw the correct answer.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Like many here, hippopotamus meaning "river horse," so I figured it was a horse relative. But I couldn't think of one so I said "elephant," even thought I knew it was probably wrong.

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

The FJ category came up and zebra was my guess. I didn't have to wander off my train of thought when the question popped up, zebra fit.