Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Re: Monday, October 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ChemTeacher »

John-Clark: Great effort. Well played. Small comfort though it may be to you, it must have been nice to beat Keith the chemist to the buzzer on "What are Electrons?" (in the Lewis or Clark category)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I remember the NY Times reporting a few years ago that the Pope had "closed" limbo, but I guess this was a misinterpretation of something written by JP2 had published by Benny 16.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed the first few minutes of the rerun episode when CBS broke in for Sandy coverage, but they got me back in time to see the rest of it as well as all of the regular show.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Hurricane coverage was more important than J! in my area (but commercials were still okay I guess). I watched R38102's Dailymotion account with bated breath, not knowing if he was in the same boat of preemption I was. I had a vague sense that a Youtube account of his had given his location as somewhere in Northern California, so I thought I'd do a search here for MarkBarrett's posts, to check if he'd commented on preemption. The first thing I saw was "Food Network without hesitation," horrified that I had possibly just spoiled myself on the FJ response. So I went to the first page of this thread, text-searched for "jeff" and found the FJ clue posting. Phew, not TV-related.

So I looked at "hippotigris," and thought "river tiger," making the same mistake TPH did, and getting stuck to think of an animal that could justifiably be called a river tiger. Then I headslapped with the realization that "hippo" = horse, said "tiger horse" to myself, and then had it instantly. All in 10-15 seconds.

R38102 has posted last night's Wheel of Fortune, but not J!. There's not a whole lot of history on his page, since he deletes videos after some time, but I can see he posts J! before WoF, and he posted two Wheels in a row last week, with no J! accompanying the second one. So I'm assuming I'll have to play it off the Archive once it's up.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:R38102 has posted last night's Wheel of Fortune, but not J!. There's not a whole lot of history on his page, since he deletes videos after some time, but I can see he posts J! before WoF, and he posted two Wheels in a row last week, with no J! accompanying the second one. So I'm assuming I'll have to play it off the Archive once it's up.
I'm not seeing the Wheel of Fortune for 10-29-2012 at R38102's Dailymotion site. Looks like he's only current through Friday for both shows.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

He doesn't label shows by date, but by season.week-day (1 being Monday and 5 being Friday). Wheel of Fortune 30.7-1 is yesterday's game (http://dailymotion.com/video/xupek5). And given there's nothing in between it and 30.6-5, I assume Jeopardy 29.7-1 is not being posted.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:Hurricane coverage was more important than J! in my area (but commercials were still okay I guess). I watched R38102's Dailymotion account with bated breath, not knowing if he was in the same boat of preemption I was. I had a vague sense that a Youtube account of his had given his location as somewhere in Northern California, so I thought I'd do a search here for MarkBarrett's posts, to check if he'd commented on preemption. The first thing I saw was "Food Network without hesitation," horrified that I had possibly just spoiled myself on the FJ response. So I went to the first page of this thread, text-searched for "jeff" and found the FJ clue posting. Phew, not TV-related.
If I had not seen the game I would not have posted since I am not brave enough to tread water in the daily thread. I'm glad I didn't spoil the FJ clue by leading off with that as I do sometimes. That could be a good helpful hint for me to have FJ comments lower in my post. There is plenty of time for news leading up to J!, so national ABC better not try messing up my viewing of the game for Sandy coverage as awful as the situation is. Local KGO isn't that crazy.

On Wednesday KGO along with a bunch of other local stations will air the parade for the Giants. Millionaire won't air at 11:30. Will KGO air the preempted new Millionaire at 2 instead of the usual rerun? My Magic 8 Ball says very unlikely.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:He doesn't label shows by date, but by season.week-day (1 being Monday and 5 being Friday). Wheel of Fortune 30.7-1 is yesterday's game (http://dailymotion.com/video/xupek5). And given there's nothing in between it and 30.6-5, I assume Jeopardy 29.7-1 is not being posted.
Yes, yes, I figured out his notation. Here's the weird thing. When I put R38102 into Dailymotion's search box, it pulls up 23 videos. None of them is Wheel of Fortune 30.7-1. So that's what I was going on. Turns out if I click on the hyperlink that says "By R38102" beneath any of those videos, it takes me to his Dailymotion page which has 10 videos--13 fewer than I turn up by searching for his "name" (huh?)--one of which is the WoF you mention. Weird.

I'll see if I can get Monday's game up on the web for you.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:He doesn't label shows by date, but by season.week-day (1 being Monday and 5 being Friday). Wheel of Fortune 30.7-1 is yesterday's game (http://dailymotion.com/video/xupek5). And given there's nothing in between it and 30.6-5, I assume Jeopardy 29.7-1 is not being posted.
Yes, yes, I figured out his notation. Here's the weird thing. When I put R38102 into Dailymotion's search box, it pulls up 23 videos. None of them is Wheel of Fortune 30.7-1. So that's what I was going on. Turns out if I click on the hyperlink that says "By R38102" beneath any of those videos, it takes me to his Dailymotion page which has 10 videos--13 fewer than I turn up by searching for his "name" (huh?)--one of which is the WoF you mention. Weird.

I am in the process of creating one for John-Clark. When I'm done, I'll let you know where you can download it.

ETA: It's uploading now to http://www.bpmod.net/Jeopardy!_20121029.wmv It's just under 300MB in size.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Many thanks.

edit: turns out that an hour and a half later, KABC showed Monday's episode. (Thanks to trainman for the alert on twitter, and in turn to @rialtus, who posted it in the first place.)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

I am in the process of creating one for John-Clark. When I'm done, I'll let you know where you can download it.

ETA: It's uploading now to http://www.bpmod.net/Jeopardy!_20121029.wmv It's just under 300MB in size.

Brian
It's also on dailymotion now. I didn't get monday or Tuesdays episode due to the weather. We were without power for over 24 hours.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuqcnm ... rch_algo=2

I also had ammo on the thousand dollar clue in "O". I counted it as wrong, but I think they might have accepted it if someone said it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can I put in an advance request to have the Thanksgiving Day and day after games uploaded somewhere? (No jokes, please, from those north of the border saying we already had Thanksgiving)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Can I put in an advance request to have the Thanksgiving Day and day after games uploaded somewhere? (No jokes, please, from those north of the border saying we already had Thanksgiving)
What joke? We already had Thanksgiving.

But seriously, I can upload them in any size/format you'd like.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

Sherm wrote:
I also had ammo on the thousand dollar clue in "O". I counted it as wrong, but I think they might have accepted it if someone said it.
I don't think it's acceptable. A round of ammunition can be put in your gun. A round of gunfire has already left it...
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

davey wrote:
Sherm wrote:
I don't think it's acceptable. A round of ammunition can be put in your gun. A round of gunfire has already left it...
Cut it any way you like used ammo is gunfire, or you cannot have a round of gunfire without ammo. The other part of it is, ammo is slang, and ammunition doesn't end with a "O". It would have been interesting if someone had said it. It was the first thing that popped in my head and on the show, I'd have buzzed in with it, but I always count stuff like that as being wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm trying to come up with a good analogy for the ammo/salvo thing (I don't think ammo's acceptable). The best I can think of is in a category in which responses end with "er," with the clue "A spray often used to clean or cool oneself." Should a response of "water" be accepted? (Again, I say no.)
davey

Post by davey »

Sherm wrote:
davey wrote:
Sherm wrote:
Cut it any way you like used ammo is gunfire, or you cannot have a round of gunfire without ammo. The other part of it is, ammo is slang, and ammunition doesn't end with a "O". It would have been interesting if someone had said it. It was the first thing that popped in my head and on the show, I'd have buzzed in with it, but I always count stuff like that as being wrong.
Can you point to a usage in which "gunfire" is synonymous with ammunition? (How many rounds of gunfire were found at the scene? ??) Used ammo is ammunition that's been fired. Gunfire is what immediately comes out of a gun. (How many rounds of gunfire were heard at the scene?...)
johnclarklevin
Contributor

Post by johnclarklevin »

Huge thanks to Brian for posting that, and Sherm for posting a version as well! Much appreciated!

The first round of my thoughts on the experience comes out in tomorrow's Wall Street Journal. Be sure to pick up a copy! Or, if you're a subscriber, read it at the link below:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... TopOpinion

There are always a few compromises that have to be made to squeeze it into 800 words, but I'd love to hear what you all think of the article.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Any way that ammo could be acceptable as well as salvo?
Salvo isn't even correct. By definition, a salvo is the multiple, simultaneous firing of weaponry. A round is not a salvo.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

davey wrote:
Can you point to a usage in which "gunfire" is synonymous with ammunition? (How many rounds of gunfire were found at the scene? ??) Used ammo is ammunition that's been fired. Gunfire is what immediately comes out of a gun. (How many rounds of gunfire were heard at the scene?...)
A round of gunfire is a shot (How many shots were heard?). Poorly phrased clue since round also means ammunition.