Tuesday, October 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:25 pm

20th Century Books
"A Cry of Children" & "Nightmare Island" were proposed titles for this novel.
SpoilerShow
What is Lord of the Flies?
Keith Whitener: $11,200+$1,199=$12,399...now a 3-day champion with $100,397
Robert Herzfeld: $5,000+$555=$5,555
Dana Sellke: $2,000+$2,000=$4,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

P'Zone
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by P'Zone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

No excuses, but explanation: P'Zone was the answer to a clue in our practice round. Totally got stuck in my head.

Other thoughts, towards the end of Double Jeopardy, I was trying to catch up and got caught guessing. The worst thing that happened was I correctly guessed a Ballet question (!), which stripped down the resistance to guessing that I had built up when prepping for the game.

Didn't have a great set of categories for my skill set in Double Jeopardy (except Olde English) which I knew very well, but Keith was just wicked fast on the buzzer.

--Robert Herzfeld

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Love your screen name, knew it was you as soon as I saw it. Congrats on making the show, even if it didn't work out. You seemed to have too many guesses, which cost you a chance to win. Enjoyed your seed spitting story.

After five straight misses, nice to have an instaget FJ. The writers seem to like that book, it comes up a lot.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Once again tonight, NBC and ABC(and I presume CBS) did a 60 minute nightly news tonight. Ergo, WOF and/or J! was preempted where one or the other air at 7PM EST, if the station chose to air the second half hour of the nightly news.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Total 0/5 on Aircraft. Ran "V", missed only $1,000 in Stuffed Foods.

We could've gotten that last New Artist if SOMEONE hadn't taken 30 freaking seconds to spit out what clue they wanted next. Why is it that so many contestants lately are so damn poky at picking clues?! If you give a right answer, pick the next damn clue. Don't just stand there. What, are you waiting for Alex to pick a clue FOR you?!

How would I know that Science for $400 was referring to a fish and not anything else that lays eggs? The mega-obscure "cichlid", which has only turned up 2 other times, ever?

Any guesses for what New Artist wasn't revealed? I'm guessing they'd have gone recent with either Adele or Zac Brown Band, because who the hell has ever heard of Esperanza Spalding?

DJ! was a bad category batch for me. Mouthpiece/mouthguard was HUGE HUGE HUGE negbait IMO. Celebrity married couples is just another "who cares?" for me (I did get Miranda Lambert) because 99% of the marriages only last a fortnight anyway. And of course England went miles over my head.

Blah blah blah, no guess on FJ! I've seen Lord of the Flies come up a lot, but never picked up on any Pavlovs for it. They seem to use a totally different way to get to it every time.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 pm

P'Zone wrote:No excuses, but explanation: P'Zone was the answer to a clue in our practice round. Totally got stuck in my head.

Other thoughts, towards the end of Double Jeopardy, I was trying to catch up and got caught guessing. The worst thing that happened was I correctly guessed a Ballet question (!), which stripped down the resistance to guessing that I had built up when prepping for the game.

Didn't have a great set of categories for my skill set in Double Jeopardy (except Olde English) which I knew very well, but Keith was just wicked fast on the buzzer.

--Robert Herzfeld
If you didn't see yesterday's show yet
SpoilerShow
P'Zone was the TOM to get Pizza Hut in the $200 clue in the US companies in Asia category on yesterday's show

Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm

With five wins & $100,397, Keith remains in sixth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.

ihsh
Contributor

Post by ihsh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm

FJ was an instaget for me: "children"+ "island"+"nightmare-- what else can it possibly be?

ACW

Post by ACW » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Instaget, but it's not THE Lord...

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:11 pm

Probably the most (in)famous Best New Artist ever -- Milli Vanilli.

I think Bedlam might be the frontrunner for tonight's Shouting at the TV clue.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:54 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote: Bedlam might be the frontrunner for tonight's Shouting at the TV clue.
I'm sold!

Fj was an insta... insta.... OMG! What? Golding! Island! Boys going bat$hit! Piggy! Simpsons satired it!! Aagh! time's almost... LORD OF THE FLIES !!! Jay-zuz had that happened to me on the show I think I never would've gotten it, the under-the-lights effect multiplying my panic.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah, Robert, I commented how unfortunate it was that you self-destructed toward the end there. I hope you managed to have a great time nonetheless (and I'm betting you did).

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 pm

P'Zone wrote:No excuses, but explanation: P'Zone was the answer to a clue in our practice round. Totally got stuck in my head.

Robert, you did a fantastic job. You just happened to go up against a guy where you weren't allowed to make a mistake.

Are you maybe misremembering how p'zone got stuck in your head? The p'zone showed up in a clue in yesterday's game. It was the first I'd heard of the thing. I'll spoiler the rest, just in case anyone's watching out of sequence.
SpoilerShow
The clue was THIS FAST FOOD CHAIN IS THE NO. 1 CASUAL DINING BRAND IN CHINA WITH 660 RESTAURANTS; THAT'S A LOT OF P'ZONES TO GO.
SpoilerShow
The answer, of course, was Pizza Hut.
SpoilerShow
That would've been more fun if they'd let me do nested spoilers.
SpoilerShow
But I guess this was fun too.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 pm

So, did anyone else get cute and answer dreidecker for the triplane? :)

I think I got one of the Mrs., although I did run the Airplane category and the Olde English, too.

Instaget FJ. One of my favorite books.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Welcome Robert: You started to select U.S. Bodies of Water for $1600 and then went elsewhere. Since the Water had a DD, did you know North Carolina? That switcheroo with Keith later finding the DD and adding 3000 seemed like a key moment of the game.

For the Anna Pavlova = Dying Swan guess of Kinski, were you going for Nastassja or Klaus? :)

The combined Coryat was 16800. Earlier in the season when one was 24000 and game drew many negative comments I posted it wouldn't make ten worst of the season. Tonight's game very likely will not have ten lower combined Coryat scores. A total of 13W in the game's tally for the three is on the high side.

For the missing Grammy I would say no way in the world for Zac Brown or Spalding in the first box. Adele, Carrie Underwood or Amy Winehouse are better bets.

If I had tried a precall for FJ off the category then Lord of the Flies and Lolita would be near the top of the list with GWTW as likely J! favorites. Either provided title seemed to fit the Golding work. Given both and considering the scope of possibles in regular play, what else could it be?

Keith should have wagered for 6 figures on the nose. Boooo!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 am

MarkBarrett wrote:Keith should have wagered for 6 figures on the nose. Boooo!
Could he make it up to you by sending you a check for $397?

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:22 am

P'Zone wrote:Other thoughts, towards the end of Double Jeopardy, I was trying to catch up and got caught guessing. The worst thing that happened was I correctly guessed a Ballet question (!), which stripped down the resistance to guessing that I had built up when prepping for the game.

Didn't have a great set of categories for my skill set in Double Jeopardy (except Olde English) which I knew very well, but Keith was just wicked fast on the buzzer
Great game, Robert. It's hard to beat multi-day champs, and Keith got a run for his money. I'm incredibly curious how long he goes, because he's very good, but he's also been very lucky in a few games either to get a last-minute lock or be the only correct person in FJ. What a terrific game to watch. I liked the $5,555 score you aimed for to come in second.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 am

While it obviously wasn't the intended answer, did anyone else think that maybe they cold have accepted P'Zone? The results I get from Google image search don't seem to show anything to really distinguish visually between a P'Zone and a calzone. Would that be like answering Kleenex when they want tissue or answering Band-Aid when they want bandage?

My only concern on FJ was that Lord of the Flies may have been too obvious, because they do ask about it so much. I ran through other island-themed works, such as Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, Swiss Family Robinson, and whatever else popped into my head. (Island of Dr. Moreau maybe?) Some or all of those are probably not even 20th century, so I decided to stick with the obvious. J-Archive only shows one other FJ reference to Golding's work since 2007, with the March 2011 clue asking for the author's name, rather than the title. It sure seems like it has come up more times than that, but maybe I'm thinking of the Hunger Games clue from this past May's Teen Tournament, which had Golding as an incorrect response.