Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Then we have the Rhode Island School of Design's hockey team mascot.

http://sportsclimax.com/wtf/the-nads-sc ... e-mascots/

Were they playing a Jeopardy team with the other mascot in the video?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Isn't THAT where Sandusky should've coached?
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Bamaman wrote:Then we have the Rhode Island School of Design's hockey team mascot.

http://sportsclimax.com/wtf/the-nads-sc ... e-mascots/

Were they playing a Jeopardy team with the other mascot in the video?
When the FJ category was announced, I turned to my husband and said, "god, I hope they ask a question about Scrotie!" Probably not safe for a family show, but I would've been ready for it :) Go Nads!!
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

TeethWhitener wrote:although mercifully that kept my father-in-law from seeing me miss that question about Stonewall Jackson on Monday.
Welcome, Keith -- I guess we'll meet in a few months! Isn't it fun dealing with relatives that will never let you forget the questions you missed? My dad is still ribbing me about The Thin Red Line...

Congrats on your run; you made some gutsy moves and you've got mad buzzer skills. But I have to know: did Alex linger a little longer over your handshake at the end of the game? If I find out that that wily Canuck has been two-timing me with another 7-time champ, I'm going to block his text messages from now on. I won't have it! ;)
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

TeethWhitener wrote:Several people have now encouraged me to post here, so here goes.

Hi, I'm Keith Whitener. You may remember me from such Final Jeopardy! missteps as 'Thinking the zombies in Resident Evil have swine flu' and tonight's debacle.

In all honesty, Golden Bears did flit through my mind, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember Cal = UC-Berkeley.
Last game you taped in a long, long day after, what, two weeks in between? You were fantastic, and played hard.

For the record, I know so little about sports, I would have bet $0 in that round because I would have been sure I would have gotten it wrong.

Keith, that was such a fantastic run. I am so glad that I snuck in between Dr. J and you for my two wins.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Dr. J wrote:Congrats on your run; you made some gutsy moves and you've got mad buzzer skills. But I have to know: did Alex linger a little longer over your handshake at the end of the game? If I find out that that wily Canuck has been two-timing me with another 7-time champ, I'm going to block his text messages from now on. I won't have it! ;)
He promised not to do his Nixon impression for anyone but you!
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

glennfleishman wrote:He promised not to do his Nixon impression for anyone but you!
And yet he DID do it for someone else! Trebek, I don't abide cheaters, so you're officially on notice! :evil:
TeethWhitener

Post by TeethWhitener »

Dr. J wrote:But I have to know: did Alex linger a little longer over your handshake at the end of the game? If I find out that that wily Canuck has been two-timing me with another 7-time champ, I'm going to block his text messages from now on. I won't have it! ;)
We usually just sit around in our PJs and watch "How Green was My Valley" over and over...
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

TeethWhitener wrote:Hi, I'm Keith Whitener.
YES! :D

Glad to finally have you here! If you've been lurking, then you know that I've been shamelessly fanboying for you during your run... everyone here knows how much I love to see someone from my state do well. And I dare say that you're already the most successful North Carolinian in Jeopardy history. 8-)

Ironically... on this, the night of your run's end, the Bobcats ended their agonizingly long losing streak. That Howdy sure came back to bite you! :lol:
Omnivore
Contributor

Post by Omnivore »

Been off the boards for quite a while (no doubt because we're not talking about ME anymore), but I just wanted to say to Keith (and to Paul and Ariane, if you stop by) that was one of the best J! games I've seen: ToC level of skill and aggressive play, and crazy drama. Great comeback when I thought you were down for the count, Keith, and of course an excellent run. (I thought I could see a little fifth-game-of-the-second-day exhaustion, at least early on?) Congratulations.

I'm on the poorly written side of the FJ debate (that sentence is so poorly written it works both ways, I guess). I was totally misdirected to thinking that the nickname would have something to do with the fault, and assumed that some place like Cal State Hayward would be the Earthquakes (and not, as it turns out, the Pioneers). Seems like if you want to ask about what university is on top of the fault then focusing on the nickname is a red herring.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

EXACTLY! They drew all the attention to the nickname being related to earthquakes, yet the clue had ZERO to do with that. It just makes no sense.

I wouldn't be as frustrated about it if it weren't a sports FJ... I hate missing sports FJs. It's like my ultimate embarrassment. :(
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Austin Powers wrote:PAGING DR HEIMLICH TO PAUL'S DRESSING ROOM never mind.

Shame such a choke job got bailed out by a weird final.
Oh, I don't know about that. Paul is the first contestant we've seen who seemed to have a clue what it would take to beat Keith. He landed on the first DD in the DJ round. He had $11,400 to Keith's $6,200. Contestants from previous nights would have tried to protect their lead. But Paul understood what he was up against. So he bet $5,000. That was gutsy. It was the right move. Not many other contestants would have done it. I think he deserves major credit for that.

Following that, for a good chunk of time, Paul had more than double Keith's score. But he still understood what previous contestants had failed to grasp. With Keith at the first podium, he was still in danger. Unfortunately, that knowledge may have caused him to self destruct a little. He knew there was no such thing as a "safe" lead against Keith, so he rang in when he shouldn't have in an attempt to increase that lead.

But Paul wasn't the only one. Keith was making some unfortunate decisions as well, and I wouldn't call him a "choke job". Here are the highlights of how the game went after Paul got that $5,000 on the DD:
  • Hyundai/Kia clue. Keith AND Paul lose $1,200 here (but at least Keith's response fits the category). Proportional gain for Paul.
  • Paul guesses Temperance Party for Prohibition Party. Not a bad guess. Loses $1,600.
  • Paul hopes North Carolina stretches a little farther west. Keith gets the rebound. Double whammy. Paul loses $2,000. Keith gains $2,000. BUT...
  • Keith loses that $2,000 on the very next clue with the famous female director, John Hughes.
  • Paul picks Sofia Coppola (spelled wrong in the closed captioning, by the by) as director of The Hurt Locker. Keith gets the rebound. So Paul loses $800; Keith gains $800.
  • Keith uncovers the second DD. He bets $6,900 of his $7,000 and gets it right. Paul is still ahead with $15,200 to Keith's $13,900.
  • Ok, so maybe Paul's directionally challenged. More likely he's just rattled. Another double whammy as he loses $1,200 by picking Baffin Island as the famous island off the west coast of Canada and Keith picks up that $1,200 by naming Vancouver Island. (Oy, what the Canadians must think of us. Imagine if they'd gotten even slightly tricky with the clue. Say, they'd spotted the contestants a "STARTS WITH V" and just wanted the name of the city on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.) This is where Keith pulls ahead. He's got $15,100 to Paul's $14,000. Paul has to be sweating bullets by now. You don't give the lead back to Keith and hope to take it away again. There are only seven clues left, and they aren't the big money ones. Four $400 clues and two for $800--$3,200 total.
  • Keith picks up $1,200 from two of those clues. Two are triple stumpers. Ariane picks up $400. Paul stays where he is.
So after Paul's DD, Paul lost $6,800 in wrong responses. But Keith lost $3,200. Maybe Paul would have gotten better results by only wagering $1,000 on that DD and then being judicious on the buzzer. Or maybe his $5,000 wager and huge lead scared Keith into some foolish moves of his own. It may have been a messy win. But if Paul hadn't been such a strong gutsy player it might not have been a win at all. All I know is, it was a crazy slugfest. And kudos to Ariane for wading into the middle of it and being a contender. She made the right bet, playing the odds. Paul's bet, which won him the game, was savvy but unpredictable.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll put it here since bumping the TOC thread or starting a new thread could be a spoiler for those behind in watching the games. Stop reading if you are not caught up on all games this season or TOC qualifiers from last season.

Comparison of recent 7x winners

Keith Whitener - $147,597 and 7 wins
Coryat: 15,425
FJ: 6/8
DD: 11/15
Position entering FJ: 2+L+1+2+L+1+L+1
(L means runaway lock victory)

Stephanie Jass - $147,570 and 7 wins
Coryat Avg: 21,250
FJ: 3/8
DD: 12/15
Position: L+L+L+1+1+L+1+1

More of the top 5

Jason Keller - $213,900 and 9 wins
Coryat: 19,000
FJ: 7/10
DD: 13/17
Position: 1+1+L+2+1+L+1+L+2+3

Dave Leach - $98,054 and 6 wins
Coryat: 16,543
FJ: 4/7
DD: 4/11
Position: 1+L+2+2+L+L+2

Joel Pool - $116,800 and 6 wins
Coryat: 10,257
FJ: 5/7
DD: 5/5
Position: 2+1+2+1+2+2+3

Middle Five of the field

David Menchaca - $115,503 and 5 wins
Coryat: 17,533
FJ: 4/6
DD: 6/8
Position: 2+1+1+1+L+2

David Gard - $84,700 and 4 wins
Coryat: 15,600
FJ: 2/5
DD: 5/7
Position: 1+L+1+L+1

Dan McShane - $62,001 and 4 wins
Coryat: 17,440
FJ: 2/5
DD: 4/7
Position: 1+1+1+L+1

Monica Thieu - $100,000 and College Champ
Coryat: 9,500
FJ: 4/4
DD: 1/2
Position: 2+3+2+2

Patrick Quinn - $100,000 and Teachers Champ
Coryat: 12,850
FJ: 2/4
DD: 0/3
Position: 2+2+1+3

Five more of the field if nothing changes

Patrick Morrison - $80,701 and 3 wins
Coryat: 17,850
FJ: 4/4
DD: 4/6
Position: 1+L+1+2

Francis Lansangan - $78,401 and 3 wins
Coryat: 18,600
FJ: 3/4
DD: 4/5
Position: 1+1+1+2

Matt Samberg - $61,402 and 3 wins
Coryat: 16,050
FJ: 2/4
DD: 4/5
Position: L+1+1+1

Andy Baggarly - $60,402 and 3 wins
Coryat: 12,800
DD: 5/7
Position: 2+1+1+2

Stephanie Fontaine - $54,500 and 3 wins
Coryat: 13,450
DD: 2/5
Position: 1+1T+1+1
(1T means tied for the lead entering FJ)

Eliminated tonight: Joey Falco
Stephanie Fontaine is as good as eliminated as well with the Teacher's Tournament winner this November likely taking another slot.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Good to see you, Tom. You should stop by more often.

And welcome Keith! We've all been waiting to see if you'd join us here. Stick around. I think you'll enjoy yourself here.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
scoman81
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by scoman81 »

Well after researching a little, I don't feel so bad about my incorrect guess in FJ. I went for the Spartans (San Jose State). Turns out SJSU is actually older than Berzerkly, just not as close to that particular fault.

Ours is bigger, anyway. (err, not sure that's something to brag about, but there ya go.)
Omnivore
Contributor

Post by Omnivore »

Nice to be back--I've found either I get sucked into the boards or I go cold turkey, and right now I can't spare the former. (Too busy obsessing over political blogs, among other things...) But when I come across a particularly good or bizarre game I can't go without checking in here to see the post mortem.

And congratulations to Dr. J too, by the way. You both have the ToC Pyramid of Greatness to look forward to (I hope) if you stick around the boards.

Opus made the excellent point that Paul was attacking from the beginning. It felt like a Friday game for that reason too: you could tell that either Paul and Ariane are just aggressive players (which could be true) or that they had been watching Keith roll through games 1-4 from the audience--and bet pretty big on his DDs--and knew they had to keep the pedal down. That's what made it such a crazy and fun game to watch.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:And what makes you think Iowa knows anything about college football. :)
There are those who wonder if ex-Iowa State coaches know anything about college football right now. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
econgator wrote:And what makes you think Iowa knows anything about college football. :)
There are those who wonder if ex-Iowa State coaches know anything about college football right now. :lol:
He's doing a great job, they just need to give him more time.
sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

TeethWhitener wrote:
Dr. J wrote:But I have to know: did Alex linger a little longer over your handshake at the end of the game? If I find out that that wily Canuck has been two-timing me with another 7-time champ, I'm going to block his text messages from now on. I won't have it! ;)
We usually just sit around in our PJs and watch "How Green was My Valley" over and over...
BAAA HAAAAAA- you two re HI-larious, can't wait to see you both on T of C- though I am throwing my bets in with Teeth, we did after all get lost and drunk in LA together..
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

MarkBarrett wrote: Well I guess I was wrong about Keith. He knows sports. How else could he name the Pirates when all he was given was Pittsburgh?
Didn't the clue also mention baseball? Pittsburgh+baseball kinda narrows it down.

Did anyone else say "three wise men" for "Magi?" I did and I counted it correct.