Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

billy pilgrim wrote:Oh, THANKS JEOPARDY! for the spoiler on who shot JR! I hadn't gotten around to watching that episode of Dallas.
Didn't they have a whole category somewhat recently that was about spoilers?
Vanya wrote:1972 is recent?
When you're 40 years old, as I am, you're desperately hoping it is.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thenextofken wrote:I'd say yes to Three Kings.
Absolutely. There's a Christmas song called "We Three Kings (of Orient Are)".

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Another entry in the "Who Does That Jeopardy! Contestant Look Like" game ...

Post by dhkendall »

BTW, anyone else thinks Paul looks a lot like former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich? (I didn't check the spelling, but I'm pretty pleased that I believe I got it right first time!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Another entry in the "Who Does That Jeopardy! Contestant Look Like" game ...

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:BTW, anyone else thinks Paul looks a lot like former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich? (I didn't check the spelling, but I'm pretty pleased that I believe I got it right first time!)
Actually, it's spelled "Inmate number 40892-424".

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This FJ was an instaget for me. Why, I've driven right through the town of Hayward, due to my GPS trying to avoid severe traffic on I-880, after I'd just been doing some used CD shopping in...Berkeley.

And speaking of the FJ -- KABC had this episode scheduled for Saturday at 9:30 PM, and college football cooperated well enough that it aired in its entirety, so that was a pleasant surprise.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Great game to watch, even if Keith and Paul got sloppy and it wasn't won by the FJ sole getter. (I tentatively decided that with the FJ being a probably weak category for me, I'd wager $4,300 from Keith's position: upside is $20,600, which covers an Ariane double-up, and likely a Paul cover of Ariane; downside is $12,000, which doesn't fall behind a sole-getting Ariane if she wagers to win on a triple stumper. It wouldn't have saved him the game, but it would have saved second place.)

As for the FJ clue, I got it wrong. Cardinal popped into my mind first, but of course it doesn't fit the clue's plural criterion. Unfortunately Stanford was the only school I could think of before I stopped trying to think of schools. I knew Hayward was Northern California and that there's a CSU Hayward (both thanks to the aforementioned Leslie Frates). I guessed Quakes, thinking maybe it would be CSUH's team name. But then, of course, it would be weird that they'd mention Hayward and a fault if that were the case. But I was too stuck on "the nickname has to do with the fault" to let such common sense sway me.

edit: removed extra N from each instance of Ariane's name
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

glennfleishman wrote:I have Jeopardy fever in the house. At least two of the 25 million weekly viewers are now younger than 70.
I think you're getting a little too full of yourself, Glenn. It's more like 13 million.
Bamaman wrote:Then we have the Rhode Island School of Design's hockey team mascot.
RISD (which was just down the street) students had the most amazing costumes on Halloween. I think my favorite was a bunch of asparagus. Six or seven people tied up together who had to shuffle around everywhere they went.

Welcome to the boards, Keith. Excellent run and a couple of tough breaks on this show. I had a feeling you must have been lurking on here for a while. As a local, we need to go to a pub quiz night in your honor if you would deign to join us.

I agree there was some misdirection in FJ (thanks again, Brian, for posting the whole show!) but it wasn't egregious. For me, Hayward > East Bay > Cal > Golden Bears came automatically.

OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OrangeSAM »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:I didn't actually know this answer, but poking around the Internet suggests that the Berkeley football stadium has been undergoing major renovations the past two years to make it safer (not sure how well it'll actually work in the event of major fault activity, but that's the idea) and just reopened in September. Maybe they thought someone might be aware of that? It obviously didn't work too well, but maybe it was bigger news in California.
Yes, there was the retrofit, but what made it an Instaget FJ! was having seen on TV documentaries the cracks left in the structure by fault movement over the decades. I seem to be the only Boardie to have seen that though.
OCSam

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, since when the heck is calcium a metal?
What would you say it is? It isn't a liquid or a gas, and those are really the only states elements are in on the periodic table (although I usually see "synthetic" (ie "man-made") as another "state" on the table as well.
Well, there's also non-metals and halogens...

Final was an instant. Went to Cal for a while. One of the classes I took (think it was Astronomy 10, during one of the TA sessions), we went on a tour of the bowels of Memorial Stadium. Got to see some of the instruments to monitor seismic activity down there (and how learning tectonics here helps us apply it in space).

It's one thing to see a stadium splitting down the middle on TV...it's another to see it in person. It doesn't just sit on the fault, it's *bisected* by the fault.

ariane

Post by ariane »

jeff6286 wrote: How heartbreaking must it be for Ariane to get an FJ clue about a school that she attended, and yet lose the game because she made what was, in my opinion, a very savvy and strategically sound decision. I thought it would have been very wise of her to bet no more than $2,000, and possibly pull out a victory on a triple stumper. Based on her $0 wager, I'm guessing she considered sports a very weak subject, and was hoping for the guys to miss it as well. Many players in her position would simply shove all-in and hope for the best, frequently losing the game because they eliminated their chances of winning with a miss. In her case, that move would have netted her a cool 20 grand and a return visit next week, but instead she goes home with $2,000 for second place. I guess that's why they call it Jeopardy!
Hi there! I'm Ariane. :-) And for the record, you understood my betting strategy perfectly. I know NOTHING about football, so when I saw the category, I was absolutely certain that I would not know the answer. And then the answer turned out to be my alma mater... heartbreaking, indeed. That said, though, I was thrilled to take part in such an exciting game with such challenging competitors. I had tons of fun.

I've been invited to talk about my experience on http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/, so check back there if you're interested in more commentary on this game (and my own defense of the $0 wager). :-)

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

alietr wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:I have Jeopardy fever in the house. At least two of the 25 million weekly viewers are now younger than 70.
I think you're getting a little too full of yourself, Glenn. It's more like 13 million.
The contestant folks (Maggie et al.) said it's 9 million per night. The weekly number put out by the syndicate for unique viewers across the week is 25 million. Neither number affects me, as I don't get royalties!

ariane

Post by ariane »

Omnivore wrote:Been off the boards for quite a while (no doubt because we're not talking about ME anymore), but I just wanted to say to Keith (and to Paul and Ariane, if you stop by) that was one of the best J! games I've seen: ToC level of skill and aggressive play, and crazy drama.
Hi there! Thank you so much -- it was SUCH a fun game to play. Of course I wish I could've gone on to play more, but if I only had to play one game, I couldn't have asked for a more exciting and suspenseful one!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ariane wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: How heartbreaking must it be for Ariane to get an FJ clue about a school that she attended, and yet lose the game because she made what was, in my opinion, a very savvy and strategically sound decision. I thought it would have been very wise of her to bet no more than $2,000, and possibly pull out a victory on a triple stumper. Based on her $0 wager, I'm guessing she considered sports a very weak subject, and was hoping for the guys to miss it as well. Many players in her position would simply shove all-in and hope for the best, frequently losing the game because they eliminated their chances of winning with a miss. In her case, that move would have netted her a cool 20 grand and a return visit next week, but instead she goes home with $2,000 for second place. I guess that's why they call it Jeopardy!
Hi there! I'm Ariane. :-) And for the record, you understood my betting strategy perfectly. I know NOTHING about football, so when I saw the category, I was absolutely certain that I would not know the answer. And then the answer turned out to be my alma mater... heartbreaking, indeed. That said, though, I was thrilled to take part in such an exciting game with such challenging competitors. I had tons of fun.

I've been invited to talk about my experience on http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/, so check back there if you're interested in more commentary on this game (and my own defense of the $0 wager). :-)
You've got nothing to defend. It was the best wager you could make given your knowledge base and the circumstances. Thanks for showing up!

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

econgator wrote:
ariane wrote:I've been invited to talk about my experience on http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/, so check back there if you're interested in more commentary on this game (and my own defense of the $0 wager). :-)
You've got nothing to defend. It was the best wager you could make given your knowledge base and the circumstances. Thanks for showing up!
It was a smart wager. I bet $0 on Kings in my third game because I was certain I wouldn't know the answer. Sadly, I was the only one with the right answer! But I was playing to finish in 2nd place. I didn't have enough cash to beat Betsy if she were wrong even if I'd bet everything, so I bet against Tim to win $2,000 instead of $1,000 as the consolation prize.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ariane wrote: Hi there! I'm Ariane. :-) And for the record, you understood my betting strategy perfectly. I know NOTHING about football, so when I saw the category, I was absolutely certain that I would not know the answer. And then the answer turned out to be my alma mater... heartbreaking, indeed. That said, though, I was thrilled to take part in such an exciting game with such challenging competitors. I had tons of fun.

Apologies for misspelling your name. I spelled it right at first, then let doubt seep in and went back and added Ns in. Fixing it now!

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I know I'm three days late on this and it's been hashed out, but in my opinion, that was among the worst Final Jeopardy clues I have seen in the past half-decade or so I've watched the show. Kind of a shame that it had to come following one of the most exciting and intense games in recent memory with three rather fantastic contestants.
Last edited by Fishercat on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

econgator wrote:
ariane wrote:

Also, this. $0 was a perfectly defensible and maybe even preferable wager in this scenario. You played well Ariane.

ariane

Post by ariane »

seaborgium wrote:Apologies for misspelling your name. I spelled it right at first, then let doubt seep in and went back and added Ns in. Fixing it now!
No worries at all! Believe me, I have seen and heard every imaginable variation of spelling & pronunciation of my name...

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Paucle wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:here's 3 clues in this clue: the year(hence, a major university), Fault(West Coast), Hayward(A Nor-Cal City).
How does the year tell you it's major? About all it tells you is that it's not AK or HI, since there are few schools that old in those states. What tells you it's a major university is that J! is asking about it. They don't quiz us on East North Podunk Polytech.

Agree fault makes it west coast- but Hayward only helps you if you have an incredible depth of geography (or seismological) knowledge. (Mark, any chance we could poll how many people had ever heard of Hayward CA before this clue?) I know for sure SF is on the San Andreas fault, so I eliminated USF Warriors, SJ State Spartans, and the Cardinal. I was hoping LA was on the Hayward Fault, since I wasn't positive on that one. That gave me Bruins, Trojans, and probably others I couldn't think of. (Looking it up now, they actually are on the San Andreas. )

(As it turns out, Hayward runs right through San Jose too-- so Spartans would've been as valid a guess as the correct one, with only the year in there to pin it. Seems like a candidate for, if not the toughest clue of the season, at least the meanest.)

Golden Bears of Cal Berkeley just never occurred to me. But, again, knowing they're near SF, I'd've dismissed them as "wrong fault."

Short story long: to me this clue essentially asked, "Name a college team that plays on a fault line."
When it's like older than 100 years, don't you tend to think of them as public universities/colleges? That doesn't leave too many options out there.

Well... that's my logic.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ariane wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Apologies for misspelling your name. I spelled it right at first, then let doubt seep in and went back and added Ns in. Fixing it now!
No worries at all! Believe me, I have seen and heard every imaginable variation of spelling & pronunciation of my name...
I can empathize (my name is Stefan).