Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by glennfleishman »

ariane wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Apologies for misspelling your name. I spelled it right at first, then let doubt seep in and went back and added Ns in. Fixing it now!
No worries at all! Believe me, I have seen and heard every imaginable variation of spelling & pronunciation of my name...
I loved when you jumped in to try to clear $2,000 on down for the category up your alley! That was a fabulous game to watch.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:I didn't actually know this answer, but poking around the Internet suggests that the Berkeley football stadium has been undergoing major renovations the past two years to make it safer (not sure how well it'll actually work in the event of major fault activity, but that's the idea) and just reopened in September. Maybe they thought someone might be aware of that? It obviously didn't work too well, but maybe it was bigger news in California.
Yes, there was the retrofit, but what made it an Instaget FJ! was having seen on TV documentaries the cracks left in the structure by fault movement over the decades. I seem to be the only Boardie to have seen that though.
Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think the actual TOM was 'current events' rather than anything explicit in the clue. A two year long stadium retrofit for shoring up in an earthquake sure seems like something that we (as in, the sort who devour these sorts of details) should have run across, especially since the stadium reopened only two months ago.

It feels similar to http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3605 which, in of itself, I doubt I would have gotten if not for this being in the news a lot beforehand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban ... e_covering (Later ruling change excepted.) Also this: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3578 , but that one was a bit less subtle about its "Hey, do you follow the news?" angle.

Of course, as this is the first I've heard about Memorial getting a retrofit (two separate RSS feeds for sports news either missed it or I just skimmed over it)...maybe it wasn't as publicized as the writers thought it was?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:maybe it wasn't as publicized as the writers thought it was?
That.

I'm guessing this got zero air time anywhere outside the Bay Area.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:maybe it wasn't as publicized as the writers thought it was?
That.

I'm guessing this got zero air time anywhere outside the Bay Area.
It wouldn't be the first time there's been a clue about California that the writers deem gettable that I have no clue at all about. (e.g. the FJ from this game.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

teapot37 wrote:It wouldn't be the first time there's been a clue about California that the writers deem gettable that I have no clue at all about. (e.g. the FJ from this game.)
But I don't know what wasn't gettable about that one.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
teapot37 wrote:It wouldn't be the first time there's been a clue about California that the writers deem gettable that I have no clue at all about. (e.g. the FJ from this game.)

Brian
Well, I consider myself about a big a baseball fan as there is. I know much of the history and the lore, but I had never heard about the Cubs having a Spring Training camp out on Catalina Island.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Well, I consider myself about a big a baseball fan as there is. I know much of the history and the lore, but I had never heard about the Cubs having a Spring Training camp out on Catalina Island.
I think I got it because of the Wrigley family connection to Catalina.

Catalina => Wrigley => Cubs.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
I think he pretty clearly answered that question. The fact that he had no clue at all about it made it pretty far from gettable for him.

Shut up spellcheck, gettable is too a word. So is stumper...and coryat...and spellcheck, for that matter. Stop underlining things!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Speaking of California-centric clues, just how well known is the Monterey Bay Aquarium? It showed up in a $200 recently, and I had never heard of it before.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Speaking of California-centric clues, just how well known is the Monterey Bay Aquarium? It showed up in a $200 recently, and I had never heard of it before.
Given you were spotted 'Monterey' in the clue I'm tempted to think they would have accepted 'What is the aquarium?' As far as how -centric, not sure; I'm not a control for that question.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I had known the Wrigleys had a home on Catalina Island, I would have gone with the Cubs, but I was unaaware of that information and am shocked it would have been that well known.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Moral of the story: When you get The Call, do your sightseeing *before* taping. Learning a bit about SoCal beforehand would be the way to go!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

StevenH wrote:This board was pretty easy, for the most part. And I am really starting to get freaked out by how much material the writers seem to be stealing from me.
You're not alone, I had dreamed up "LMFAO Schwartz" as a before and after a few weeks before that one came up on the board.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Speaking of California-centric clues, just how well known is the Monterey Bay Aquarium? It showed up in a $200 recently, and I had never heard of it before.
Star Trek IV was filmed there. The movie put it in Sausalito.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I think most Californians wouldn't know that either. Heck, I've been to Catalina several times. Didn't help. I don't recall what my response was. I probably just picked a random team that I was sure had been around for at least 30 years. It was only when Alex mentioned the Wrigley connection that I dimly remembered having taken some tour or seen some Wrigley building there or something.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I think most Californians wouldn't know that either. Heck, I've been to Catalina several times. Didn't help. I don't recall what my response was. I probably just picked a random team that I was sure had been around for at least 30 years. It was only when Alex mentioned the Wrigley connection that I dimly remembered having taken some tour or seen some Wrigley building there or something.
Catalina made the toughest FJ poll for that part of the season with results of 18/78 = 23.08%
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

ariane wrote:
Omnivore wrote:Been off the boards for quite a while (no doubt because we're not talking about ME anymore), but I just wanted to say to Keith (and to Paul and Ariane, if you stop by) that was one of the best J! games I've seen: ToC level of skill and aggressive play, and crazy drama.
Hi there! Thank you so much -- it was SUCH a fun game to play. Of course I wish I could've gone on to play more, but if I only had to play one game, I couldn't have asked for a more exciting and suspenseful one!
ariane wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Apologies for misspelling your name. I spelled it right at first, then let doubt seep in and went back and added Ns in. Fixing it now!
No worries at all! Believe me, I have seen and heard every imaginable variation of spelling & pronunciation of my name...
Ariane, did you know these two guys were finalists in the last two ToCs? When Tom Nissley tells you yours was one of the best games he's seen, you can float around on that for a while. You had but one miss, while Keith and Paul between them had 10. Your FJ get made the guys look silly and made my guess (Earthquakes -- San Jose's MLS team) look even more comically wrong. Nicely played!
In and out of the pool four times
ariane

Post by ariane »

glennfleishman wrote:I loved when you jumped in to try to clear $2,000 on down for the category up your alley! That was a fabulous game to watch.
Thanks!! I'm so glad it was as much fun to watch as it was to play!
ariane

Post by ariane »

reddpen wrote:
ariane wrote:
Omnivore wrote:Been off the boards for quite a while (no doubt because we're not talking about ME anymore), but I just wanted to say to Keith (and to Paul and Ariane, if you stop by) that was one of the best J! games I've seen: ToC level of skill and aggressive play, and crazy drama.
Hi there! Thank you so much -- it was SUCH a fun game to play. Of course I wish I could've gone on to play more, but if I only had to play one game, I couldn't have asked for a more exciting and suspenseful one!
ariane wrote:
Ariane, did you know these two guys were finalists in the last two ToCs? When Tom Nissley tells you yours was one of the best games he's seen, you can float around on that for a while. You had but one miss, while Keith and Paul between them had 10. Your FJ get made the guys look silly and made my guess (Earthquakes -- San Jose's MLS team) look even more comically wrong. Nicely played!
NO WAY!! I'm new to this discussion board so I don't recognize the user names. Wow -- I'm honored! And this TOTALLY made my day. Thank you! :-)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ariane wrote:
reddpen wrote:Ariane, did you know these two guys were finalists in the last two ToCs? When Tom Nissley tells you yours was one of the best games he's seen, you can float around on that for a while. You had but one miss, while Keith and Paul between them had 10. Your FJ get made the guys look silly and made my guess (Earthquakes -- San Jose's MLS team) look even more comically wrong. Nicely played!
NO WAY!! I'm new to this discussion board so I don't recognize the user names. Wow -- I'm honored! And this TOTALLY made my day. Thank you! :-)
Another good reason to stay around, Ariane, I'd say about half the regulars here are former contestants (some lost their first game, some won at least once, some are even TOCers - hence the custom titles) - that's the main reason I stick around (as opposed to, say, the Sony boards), you can't *buy* the kind of expertise the people here can give you - even if you've already been a contestant (like you), there's plenty of people here that you can learn a lot from. (And, yes, some of those are also the ATBs - About To Bes, ie haven't been on yet (but I'm expecting to Any Day Now.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012