Tuesday, November 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

I don't know enough Spanish to translate it, but there was something in it that sounded like it was related to DHS, but I was thinking more along the lines of immigration. A get's a get, however.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Leander wrote:I don't speak Spanish and think there is something unfair about a FJ that is pretty much entirely reliant on knowing a foreign language with no secondary clues. And not even a famous phrase.
However, I took a wild guess that the phrase had something to do with Immigration and came up with Homeland Security.

Amazing number of easy triple stumpers tonight.
I guessed, thinking that Homeland Security would be likely to put out alerts in various languages. My hubs knows Spanish, so he got it right away. I also agree that there were lots of easy triple stumpers; wish I'd had those boards!

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

"Well, I know 'Si' is 'Yes,' algo....? diga? Not seeing anything I can equate to French. Got nuttin'."
Put Education just because I thought they could have an interest in bi-lingual messages, and would want that message to start off positively.

Didn't see a long songs that, for me, was any harder than a top row kids week. Well, maybe "Tainted Love." Maybe.
Add me to "Stairway to Heaven" as a Scream at the Screen or whatever we're calling it. :)

Couldn't do a coryat since I was using my PC to watch the game (thank you bpmod!!!) so couldn't use my app at the same time.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

legendneverdies wrote:The game has already been archived. Lot of triple stumpers in this one seems like.
Only $18,200 worth--enough for the fourth podium to head into FJ in first place, a hundred bucks ahead of Paul. I only got $15,000 of them; but I got FJ right, so I would have won from the fourth podium with a defective buzzer bought from some out of work voting machine manufacturer that only let me ring in if no one else had attempted to do so in the previous 3 seconds.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:"Well, I know 'Si' is 'Yes,' algo....? diga? Not seeing anything I can equate to French. Got nuttin'."
Yeah ... French would be, roughly, "Si vous voyez quelque chose, dis quelque chose."

Like Andy, though, I figured it had something to do with immigration and said DHS.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Well, it seems that as far as incorrect guesses go, I am not alone with Education. My reasoning was pretty much the same as Paucle's.

I did get diga = say/speak from the French dire/dit. But my Spanish is not very broad.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
thenextofken wrote:In "Godly Expressions," for the 1600 clue I said "Nosebleed." Judges?
Nosebleeds aren't just the balcony (plus, I get the impression that "nosebleeds" are synonymous with "cheap seats", whereas "balcony" is not (more expensive). I'd say no.
I actually think "nosebleeds" is a better answer than "balcony". The section known as "the gods" does not cover the whole balcony. It's only the section at the very top, up near where the gods are. Some theatres even have paintings of mythological scenes on the ceiling reinforcing the name. The same section is referred to as "el paraíso" in Spanish and "le paradis" in French. All this corresponds exactly to what we crass Americans call the nosebleed section. "Nosebleeds" are not just any cheap seats. They are the seats so high up that you get a nosebleed from the thin air at that altitude.

Alex was obviously prepared to accept "balcony" without issuing a BMS. But that's not a precisely correct response. I don't mind giving a little latitude there. I'm just saying there's no way they could legitimately reject answers that were more correct such as "What is the part of the balcony near the ceiling?", "What is the upper balcony?", and "What are the nosebleeds?"

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote: Is Paul our own boardie goforthetie? I wonder which Senator he works for?
Nope. But I heartily approve.

My futile attempt to suss out meaning from the Spanish went algo -> algorithm -> work procedures -> Labor?!?
Last edited by goforthetie on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I did get diga = say/speak from the French dire/dit. But my Spanish is not very broad.
I was able to get FJ from a combination of this and remembering the episode of 30 Rock where Liz reports her neighbor who turns out to be training for the Amazing Race.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I think James should have gotten a BMS on the Bible clue.
"Who is King James VI of Scotland, Alex?"

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Dr. J wrote:I also agree that there were lots of easy triple stumpers; wish I'd had those boards!
Greedy. :D

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks Brian. No way KGO was airing this game.

Between the Long Songs and Literary Awards there were yell stumpers for the taking. I had King, Helter Skelter and the Iron Butterfly song. I blew the Zeppelin song by guessing Hey Jude when I thought I heard Beatles instead of begins when I was anticipating the song being in the category somewhere. Elliot Ness was the other easy stumper.

Jessica made her 8 correct and no response until the 24 clue of the game pay off to get the $2000. Paul was fortunate his miss in Cabinet Departments only cost him money and not the chance to play again. That's tough to miss the FJ clue when it's supposedly up your alley.

My foreign language experience is two years of high school French. I took "Si" to If and had nothing else without even considering the Spanish for yes. The clue left me thinking something about Arizona/immigration to guess Homeland Security. On Friday and yesterday I had lots of useful pieces of information and couldn't piece them together to solve the clues. Tonight I had very little to go on and had it in less than five seconds. Jeopardy! is a funny game sometimes.

Teachers Tournament demain, I mean man(tilde)ana.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Paul was fortunate his miss in Cabinet Departments only cost him money and not the chance to play again. That's tough to miss the FJ clue when it's supposedly up your alley.
It took me a minute to understand his "Sorry, Janet" comment.

CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Thanks for getting this game up on the archive so soon-no chance of recording it in my area. Many SAotD-I would have made a killing on 3 of the TS (Gadda da Vita, Stairway, and Helter Skelter). The FJ was also pretty easy for me-4 years of Spanish plus experience taking public transit and flying made it possible. Really wish I would have had some of these recent boards compared to what I did get for my second game...oh well.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:I don't know enough Spanish to translate it, but there was something in it that sounded like it was related to DHS, but I was thinking more along the lines of immigration. A get's a get, however.
I agree, the connection to immigration was natural. However, I completely forgot that DHS took over immigration control and I said "Justice." AAArgh!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote: Couldn't do a coryat since I was using my PC to watch the game (thank you bpmod!!!) so couldn't use my app at the same time.
They still make pencil and paper, you know. :mrgreen:

Immigration crossed my mind, but sadly, Homeland security did not. I guess it would be a good idea to recite all the cabinet names in your head during the break if you know it is going to be the category. I did know traabjo is the work for work, however, though rejecting Labor only left me with Education.

Offering the tie can be a good strategy. Suppose the scores are.....
$19,000
$14,000
$4,600

Now, the MSB is $9,001, leaving the leader with $9,999 is he is wrong, so second place may just bet $4,000 and hope the leader misses and asure himself of second place no matter what.

But, if he thinks the leader is going to offer the tie, he may juts go all in. So on a TS, the leader wins he game rather than coming in second.

CBodels

Post by CBodels »

Hey everyone, "loopy" loser Colin from last night here! Finally got to see my show thanks to the good man in Canada here who uploads the episodes. Great to read the feedback. No excuses but not growing up in the US (hence the Tainted Love ring in) didn't help with that music category. But lack of knowledge and/or stupidity is the only reason for not buzzing in to some of those godly expression and other category responses. Paul is really good on the buzzer. Jessica and I were ringing in on most of the stuff he got. His paused answers and category choosing moments are a tactic. Maybe his wink is too :-) As for wagering, I was super flustered. Triple stumper haters. I hear you. Jessica and I felt the same when the game ended about how we'd up appearing. I too wanted the previous few days boards and I particularly wanted Monday's FJ. Alas, not to be. My personal nadir, was "loopy" (from someone who works with words - ugh!) and getting the Ironman response wrong, when I compete in them!!! Hearing ALL about those and more today. Also getting the "you were like a Hobbit with the big ears and that Irish accent!", which I kind of agree with, too. In retrospect, and this is no excuse as we all have them when recording, nerves played a part. Jessica is also a smart and very sweet lady who just couldn't get on the buzzer until the end when she jumped in more. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Did anyone else find that in the practice rounds with the other players that some people that were super on-the-buzzer, seemed to crash when playing? There were a ton of smart people playing over the 2 days I was in the studio and it is devastating to see crash and burn from such brain-able folk with not-so-great reflexes.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of Helter Skelter ... When I was in High School, my brother and I went skiing in Vermont. We fought so much that I decided to take a bus back and was in a totally crappy mood. So I'm on the bus, and I want to be left alone. You know how people will board a bus and look around for a safe place to sit? I've got my nose buried in my book and am trying to look inconspicuous when a middle-aged woman got on and scanned the bus for a place to sit. I'm saying to myself "Please don't sit here. Please don't sit here." Of course, she comes over and sits next to me. Then I'm saying to myself "Please don't talk to me. Please don't talk to me." Of course, she starts up a conversation. I'm answering in one word grunts and she finally asks me what I'm reading. I looked up, turned to her, and said "Helter Skelter. It's about the Manson murders" with absolutely the most evil grin I could manage. She didn't ask me another question, and got up and moved her seat at the next stop. A few stops later, a girl my age got on, sat next to me, and was showing me an article about her getting caught stealing a car. I could deal with that a whole lot better.

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

CBodels wrote:Hey everyone, "loopy" loser Colin from last night here! Finally got to see my show thanks to the good man in Canada here who uploads the episodes. Great to read the feedback. No excuses but not growing up in the US (hence the Tainted Love ring in) didn't help with that music category. But lack of knowledge and/or stupidity is the only reason for not buzzing in to some of those godly expression and other category responses. Paul is really good on the buzzer. Jessica and I were ringing in on most of the stuff he got. His paused answers and category choosing moments are a tactic. Maybe his wink is too :-) As for wagering, I was super flustered. Triple stumper haters. I hear you. Jessica and I felt the same when the game ended about how we'd up appearing. I too wanted the previous few days boards and I particularly wanted Monday's FJ. Alas, not to be. My personal nadir, was "loopy" (from someone who works with words - ugh!) and getting the Ironman response wrong, when I compete in them!!! Hearing ALL about those and more today. Also getting the "you were like a Hobbit with the big ears and that Irish accent!", which I kind of agree with, too. In retrospect, and this is no excuse as we all have them when recording, nerves played a part. Jessica is also a smart and very sweet lady who just couldn't get on the buzzer until the end when she jumped in more. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Did anyone else find that in the practice rounds with the other players that some people that were super on-the-buzzer, seemed to crash when playing? There were a ton of smart people playing over the 2 days I was in the studio and it is devastating to see crash and burn from such brain-able folk with not-so-great reflexes.
Like you, I sat through a Tuesday taping (longest day of my life!). I do know what you mean about the not-great-performances, which made my second place finish much more palatable. There are some AWESOME players and super bright people who didn't win, so that makes me feel better (schaudenfreude?). My contestant group was the first one this season, and I think we were all pretty much stunned by how awful the boards seemed to be, in general. So, so many triple stumpers. That especially is true when a contestant selects from the bottom and no one has any idea what the correct response is supposed to be! BTW, good on you for your Ironman competition! My husband does triathlons and the swims just ruin everything for him; he's thinking of switching to duathlons.

For this show, I actually took notes, but it's pretty much what CoachP (Alison) said: Helter Skelter, Stairway to Heaven, and Inna Gadda da Vida had my shouting at the tv, couldn't believe no one took a flyer on Stephen King, and I was pleasantly surprised by the "vicious circle" alternate to the Round Table, which I got because I hung out at the Algonquin when I was in NYC in September. Well, actually, that's WHY I went to the Algonquin, to have drinks after theater and imagine all those people sitting at their table. I didn't realize they were there for lunch, though. Huh.

And FJ was pretty obvious, even though I don't speak Spanish, I got the "si" from my years of French, which I also don't speak, lol. I do like Paul's little asides (baby don't hurt me, sorry Janet). I don't think I would catch them if the subcaps didn't them up for me. And I can't blame him for slowing the pace of the game to protect his lead; savvy thing to do and hard to remember in actual game play.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

on Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 8:07 am CBodels wrote:Jessica is also a smart and very sweet lady who just couldn't get on the buzzer until the end when she jumped in more.
She also seemed a bit nervous at the interview-- I felt bad for her, like she might've been feeling a tinge of stage fright.
Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 9:13 am Case wrote:There are some AWESOME players and super bright people who didn't win, so that makes me feel better (schaudenfreude?)
No, because you're not taking pleasure at their misery, you're taking solace that you have something in common.
(Me being thrilled at the Giants sweeping the Tigers because Detroit swept my team - that's schaudenfreude!) :mrgreen: