Wednesday, November 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by lisa0012 »

marpocky wrote:How about Waiting for Go[annoyed grunt]?
I was thinking Waiting for Go.. d'oh!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:
[annoyed grunt] = d'oh. That's its actual name.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

econgator wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
[annoyed grunt] = d'oh. That's its actual name.
Ah okay. When I am sleep deprived I don't always make Jboard-quality comments :)
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Hello everyone. Here are a few random thoughts. I was glad that I could fill the time in my Alex interview segment with my song. No worries about stumbling over my answer or being put on the spot by Mr. Trebek.

Colby was very fast on that buzzer! I don't know what I did to improve my timing. I was definitely trying to anticipate that fraction of a second between last word of the clue and lights coming on. I might have been ringing in too early.

I kicked myself about Madeline L'Engle, because I'm pretty sure my wife has read Swiftly Tilting Planet to our 4 girls. Until I watched the show tonight, I had forgotten how much I had bet on that Composers DD. Yikes.

I think Diana and I both had the same idea with our FJ wager. I think that somehow we didn't want to fall below $10K if we had missed it. I don't have much to say on the "waitin" answer. I'm fairly sure that Diana had a discussion with our contestant representative. She probably did her best to make her case, and then eventually she accepted their final ruling. So now we'll all have to wait and see if our scores will be good enough to secure a wild card spot.

I am a tiny bit frustrated that the consensus on the Board will be that these clues were too easy. I was very happy to get the call, and I was worrying throughout the tournament that people might think we teachers weren't stellar J! material because of some easier clues. Or maybe people would say something like it doesn't feel like "real" Jeopardy. But hey, I can't do anything about that. I did my best, and I had lots of fun! All of us had a great time and got along together very well.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What a very well-played game for a Teachers Tournament game! Michael, retroactive good luck to you going forward, but Colby was a buzzsaw out there. I thought that the clue might have been a touch easier than usual, but if so it was a close thing (I just watched Tuesday's game courtesy of bpmod and found those boards a bit easier for me with certainly more Lach trash)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If it had been a regular clue and she said "Waitin", not pronouncing the g, would they have negged her? Alex said they would explain later, was it discussed during the credits roll chat.

I guess it seemed easier than normal, but I've seen regula games that were simple. Congrats on doing well, Michael, and retro good luck in the semi-finals, if you make them. I thought you and the others all came across well on TV. I enjoyed your song and was thinking about it while the music was playing during FJ.

On fJ, I first went to Shakespeare and tried to think of one of his plays that had a title that might work. Then I decided the Irish critic didn't make sense for one of his plays and the part about nothing happening clicked in and I was home free.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Everything I know about Waiting For Godot, I learned on Jeopardy!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ChemTeacher wrote:Hello everyone. Here are a few random thoughts. I was glad that I could fill the time in my Alex interview segment with my song. No worries about stumbling over my answer or being put on the spot by Mr. Trebek.
I loved the song, one of the most unique interview segments I've seen (in the same league as Stefan's take on the song), although I do hope you have more opportunities for stories in the quarter finals! (I'm one of the boardies who always the interview segment, and appreciate good ones)
ChemTeacher wrote:I don't have much to say on the "waitin" answer. I'm fairly sure that Diana had a discussion with our contestant representative. She probably did her best to make her case, and then eventually she accepted their final ruling.
She seemed to be at peace with it and just recognize it as a stupid mistake (I think the CCs like contestants who take the game as a game and don't take it too seriously). I can definitely say she won't be dwelling over it for the next 17 years like we've been informed of one contestant. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

ChemTeacher wrote:Hello everyone. Here are a few random thoughts. I was glad that I could fill the time in my Alex interview segment with my song. No worries about stumbling over my answer or being put on the spot by Mr. Trebek.
I was delighted with your song! So very true for me, but I could still laugh. Glad it wasn't the case for you.
ChemTeacher wrote:I think Diana and I both had the same idea with our FJ wager. I think that somehow we didn't want to fall below $10K if we had missed it. I don't have much to say on the "waitin" answer. I'm fairly sure that Diana had a discussion with our contestant representative. She probably did her best to make her case, and then eventually she accepted their final ruling. So now we'll all have to wait and see if our scores will be good enough to secure a wild card spot.
Why did I think her name was Margaret? Losing my mind. Anyway, I felt just awful for her. What a nightmare come true. I can't think of many worse-case scenarios on stage. Ughhhh.
ChemTeacher wrote: I am a tiny bit frustrated that the consensus on the Board will be that these clues were too easy. I was very happy to get the call, and I was worrying throughout the tournament that people might think we teachers weren't stellar J! material because of some easier clues. Or maybe people would say something like it doesn't feel like "real" Jeopardy. But hey, I can't do anything about that. I did my best, and I had lots of fun! All of us had a great time and got along together very well.
I think that the boards have been very uneven this season, so this has nothing to do with the contestants. It's far more important that you had a great time, and I'm very pleased that your group had strong rapport. That can add something wonderful to your experience. And wasn't it the thrill of a lifetime just to be on the stage, hear the music and then JG saying YOUR name? I thought I was going to collapse right then and there!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Case wrote:And wasn't it the thrill of a lifetime just to be on the stage, hear the music and then JG saying YOUR name? I thought I was going to collapse right then and there!
Gee, I never thought that Michael meant that much to you. :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Teachers #1 aired tonight with yesterday's game unseen in the Bay Area except for those with the right connections.

Did the game have easier material? I did a simple check on my scoresheets for clues correct.

Starting with the 10/23 game: 42
Nov. 6th: 46
Tonight: 45

Games this season with 45 or above:
Sept. 27: 46
Oct. 11: 47

Along with tonight's 45 I had 8 ring-in errors with some matching mistakes made by the players like hansom and sedan, but no way Kutcher.

Sure, I can add an opinion option on the poll for the ruling against Diana's FJ response. To me the judges had no choice. It's a title. She had to have it right. The judges can't give it to her and disadvantage someone else's chance at a wildcard. Even in regular play if it would not have affected a 2nd or 3rd place finish it still should be negged. I get why it bothers people so much and makes the show look bad while leaving a sour taste in viewer's mouths. Godot has been used on the show I don't even want to bother to look up how many times. There's no reason to botch the title. If Diana misses the semis that's a shame since she played a good game, but it's her own bloody fault.

It's unlikely the four wildcards will all exceed 17600 to make the point moot. It more likely that 10000 won't be enough, to make the situation unfortunate. I won't hold the judges or the show accountable.

Nice work by Michael to find pockets in the game where the material and timing were favorable as Colby looked very comfortable zipping around the board.

The writers got me with the L'Engle to keep me from the run with Keene (or was it Wilder?) and Snicket seeming easier to end the Kid Book category. Of course I'm biased since I have a good collection of Nancy Drew, Unfortunate Events and Little House books.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm wondering why she wrote it that way. Was it some kind of joke?

After thinking about it, I agree they couldn't take it like that. A tough break and she's probably on the fence at best for a wild card spot.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Bamaman wrote:I'm wondering why she wrote it that way. Was it some kind of joke?

After thinking about it, I agree they couldn't take it like that. A tough break and she's probably on the fence at best for a wild card spot.
No, she clearly said, "Oh, I forgot the g" after Alex ruled against her.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

bpmod wrote:
Case wrote:And wasn't it the thrill of a lifetime just to be on the stage, hear the music and then JG saying YOUR name? I thought I was going to collapse right then and there!
Gee, I never thought that Micheal meant that much to you. :mrgreen:

Brian
I'm nothing if not supportive! Ask Erin (TreeHugginCowgirl). Rah! Rah! all the way. :mrgreen:
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I would like to be the first to suggest a question on Mark's poll to ask our opinion of the judges' rulin.
It's no different than 'Bejamin Franklin'. I'm fine with it.
I think it is different. Waiting For Godot is a title, so it has to be exact (excepting initial article, of course). This is completely consistent with prior rulings. I did think it must have been especially galling for them to accept "What waiting for Godot"
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I guess it seemed easier than normal, but I've seen regula games that were simple.
Oooohhh. Sorry. We're going to have to rule against you on that one. It's regular, with an r at each end.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:I'm one of the boardies who always the interview segment, and appreciate good ones.
I think maybe you a word out.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

billy pilgrim wrote:I did think it must have been especially galling for them to accept "What waiting for Godot"
I didn't even notice the missing verb. Who does Colby think he is...Joel Pool? :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ChemTeacher wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:I did think it must have been especially galling for them to accept "What waiting for Godot"
I didn't even notice the missing verb. Who does Colby think he is...Joel Pool? :)
If Colby wins this tournament, maybe he can meet Joel in the TOC. Alex can announce that the first player to use a verb in their FJ response will be instantly declared the winner. :lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ChemTeacher wrote:I was glad that I could fill the time in my Alex interview segment with my song.
Can you post the lyrics here? I've forgotten them already.
ChemTeacher wrote:Until I watched the show tonight, I had forgotten how much I had bet on that Composers DD. Yikes.
It was the right wager, I think. The missus and I were cheering for you. It seemed to be a category you were comfortable in, too. All the more reason to bet big.