Thursday, November 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6474, 2012-11-08

2012-B Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Terry Parker, a high school history teacher from Cutler Bay, Florida
Francesca Leibowitz, a fifth grade English teacher from Brooklyn, New York
John Hines, a high school social studies teacher from Tacoma, Washington

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the second of our quarterfinal matches. Terry, Francesca, and John: nice to have you with us today. Pick up those signaling devices. Good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! round. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE'S THAT? (5/5)
FILL IN THE QUOTE (5/5)
JEOPARDY! ENNUI (4/5) (Alex: Oh, dear.)
50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND FILMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BUSINESS IS GOOD (4/5)
"RE"-CESS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 3 W
Terry: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Francesca: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. John had $2,000, Francesca was in the red with -$1,000, and Terry was at $1,400. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND FILMS $800: The title of the 16th Bond film, it's also what's denoted by the "00" prefix

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $3,000
Terry: $1,000
Francesca: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Students from Westminster Christian School: Westminster
wishes Colonel Parker good luck on Jeopardy! Woo-hoo!

Alex: Terry Parker's students in Florida. You're a high school history teacher.

Terry: Yes sir.

Alex: And you have a historic moment, I understand, in you attended the last speech given by...

Terry: Emperor Hirohito.

Alex: In Japan.

Terry: In Japan.

Alex: What year was that?

Terry: 1988.

Alex: And what was the occasion?

Terry: Uh, when I was in the Marine Corps we flew a cargo mission to a base outside of Tokyo, and our airplane broke down, so we couldn't make it home. Had to be New Year's Eve. Supposed to be an out and back. We're stuck. So the next day on New Year's day we took the train into Tokyo to do some sightseeing, and inadvertently we started following a crowd through the streets. And we end up inside the Imperial Palace.

Alex: Wow.

Terry: And out on the balcony comes shufflin' Emperor Hirohito. It was amazing.

Alex: Alright. I'm sure. OK.

Alex: Francesca Leibowitz from Brooklyn, New York is a very competitive lady, ladies and gentlemen, and I'll tell you why. That's how she got to meet her husband, right?

Francesca: It's true. It's actually one of the first things that made me fall in love with him. He's the only person I've ever met who could beat me at Boggle. Um, Gabriel was sort of bragging about how good he was, and I thought, "Oh, how cute. He thinks he's going to win." But he trounced me, several games in a row.

Alex: Does he still trounce you?

Francesca: We don't play any more. [Laughs]

Alex: Oh. You learned your lesson. Good.

Alex: John Hines from Tacoma, Washington. This young man created a holiday for his wife. What's it called?

John: Uh, it's called--her name is Kelsey, so it's called Kelsimus. It's modeled after Christmas. Um, she was a softball player in college, so we have the fourteen days of Kelsimus, because her number was fourteen. And each day I give her a number-themed gift.

Alex: My gosh. That's great.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND FILMS $1000: George Lazenby played 007 just once, in this film where Bond fell in love & got married
(Terry: What is In Her Majesty's Secret Service?)
(John: What is In His Majesty's Secret Service?)

"RE"-CESS $200: Light is focused by a concave mirror in this type of telescope
(Francesca: What is refractionary?)

"RE"-CESS $800: It's the "R" in RV when the "V" is a spacecraft

BUSINESS IS GOOD $200: In 2012 this 2-named energy company reported a quarterly profit of nearly $16 bil., the highest ever for a U.S. corp.
(John: What is Exxon Valdez?)
(Alex: John you gave us the name of the boat instead of the company, [*].)

JEOPARDY! ENNUI $1000: This government agency with a lightning bolt logo says sunshine all next week; will it never end?

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $7,200
Terry: $3,400
Francesca: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FIZZ ED (4/5)
DOUBLE-TALK NAMES (2/5)
CLEOPATRA (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TOUGH 2-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
RUSSIAN NOVELISTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WEIRDPODGE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Francesca: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Terry: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Francesca snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. John had $7,600, Francesca had $1,400, and Terry was at $3,400. Francesca wagered $2,000.

CLEOPATRA $1200: When she took the throne of Egypt, Cleopatra claimed to be the living embodiment of this Egyptian goddess

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. John had $13,200, Francesca had $6,200, and Terry was at $10,200. John wagered $2,000.

RUSSIAN NOVELISTS $1600: From 1945 to 1953 he was imprisoned in labor camps for writing a letter critical of Stalin

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE-TALK NAMES $400: "The Starter Wife" is by Ms. Levangie Grazer, who has this first name

DOUBLE-TALK NAMES $800: In kids' books, the gang at Tarrytown Airport includes this jet plane

CLEOPATRA $2000: A head from the exhibit Cleopatra: The Search for the Last Queen of Egypt is thought to depict this son of Cleopatra
(Francesca: Who is Ptolemy?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Francesca: I can't.)
(Alex: This was [*].)

DOUBLE-TALK NAMES $2000: It's the Hawaiian name of the goose seen here

FIZZ ED $2000: The first artificially carbonated beverage was invented by this English discoverer of oxygen

WEIRDPODGE $1600: Bill Paxton offers up a "greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray" in this film
(Alex: The film was called [*].)

WEIRDPODGE $2000: The Azores & St. Helena are actually among the highest peaks of this mountain "ridge"
(John: What is the Atlas Mountains?)
(Francesca: What are the Rockies?)
(Alex: They're in the ocean. It's the [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $15,200
Terry: $11,000
Francesca: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
John: Wager $6,801 to cover Terry.
Terry: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and you'll win the game if John wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Francesca: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Terry's part. Wager all $5,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The seal of this historic New England city has the phrase "What a glorious morning for America" & the date "April 19"

FINAL SCORES
Francesca: $5,400 - $5,400 = $0 (What is Boston?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Terry: $11,000 - $4,201 = $6,799 (What is Boston?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
John: $15,200 - $6,801 = $8,399 (What is Plymouth) (Automatic semifinalist)
[after revealing Terry's answer]
(Alex: No, you had the right state, but the wrong city.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $13,600, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Terry: $11,000, 14 R, 2 W
Francesca: $4,600, 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 23/60 = .383
Terry: 14/58 = .241
Francesca: 11/59 = .186
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND FILMS $200: The franchise started in 1962 with James Bond facing off against this title villain

50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND FILMS $400: Oddjob painted Jill Masterson's entire body, resulting in a memorable scene in this film

50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND FILMS $600: Skyfall, the 23rd film in the franchise marks this actor'sthird outing as Bond, James Bond
(Alex: [*] is right, and Skyfall by the way opens tomorrow. Big opening for that movie.

WHERE'S THAT? $800: Mount McKinley: the national park
(John: What is Alaska?)

WHERE'S THAT? $1000: Holiday Inn Bratislava: the country
(Francesca: What is Slovenia?)

JEOPARDY! ENNUI $200: Ennui means this; Schopenhauer calls it the feeling of the emptiness of existence, & I feel it when I read Schopenhauer
(Terry: What is bored, [*]?)

FILL IN THE QUOTE $600: Huey P. Long: "I looked around at the little fishes present, and said, 'I'm the ____'"
(Terry: What is a kingfisher?)

CLEOPATRA $400: Shakespeare is among those who say Cleopatra killed herself with one of these, a symbol of divine royalty
(John: What is a snake?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(John: What is [*]?)

DOUBLE-TALK NAMES $1200: Nickname of the Olympian seen here

DOUBLE-TALK NAMES $1600: Completes the title of a spin-off from "Toddlers & Tiaras", "Here Comes Honey..."
[Terry rolls his eyes]
[Laughter]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Licence to Kill
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
relecting telescope
reentry
Exxon Mobil
the national weather service
Isis
Solzhenitsyn
Gigi
Jay Jay
Caesarion or Ptolemy XV
nene
Joseph Priestley
Weird Science
Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Lexington
Dr. No
Goldfinger
Daniel Craig
Denali
Slovakia
boredom
kingfish
an asp
Lolo (Jones)
Boo Boo
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. Cities
The seal of this historic New England city has the phrase "What a glorious morning for America" & the date "April 19".

Spoiler
What is Lexington, Massachusetts? Francesca and Terry both said Boston; John said Plymouth.
John Hines: $15,200-$6,801=$8,399...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Terry Parker: $11,000-$4,201=$6,799
Francesca Leibowitz: $5,400-$5,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

12 right in the first round with seven right in DJ and I went with Boston for FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Occasionally, there is a clue that I have no idea what the correct answer is, and intend to clam, but then someone gives an answer that is close, but wrong, and then something tells me, either by Alex's tone when ruling them wrong, or it jogging my memory, that they are close, and I snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat all because of a rebound from the fourth podium.

In this game, this happened an unprecedented three times in just the J! round:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Exxon Mobil
and kingfish

(Didn't happen at all in the DJ! round, for the curious). Amazing!

At least my guess of "Bunker Hill" in FJ was Revolutionary War themed. But, aside from the date, what was to lead one to Lexington? (For some reason I associated "morning" with "Bunker Hill", hence my answer. I knew the date wouldn't get me anywhere.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I considered Boston, but the wording of "historical town" led me to believe it was some place not known for anything else. I was worried it might be Concord, but got lucky.

I forgot about Long being called Kingfish and said "big fish", thinking of the phrase "Big fish in a small pond". But I did get Exxon Mobil (after dismissing General Electric) and knew Bond was on and worked for Elizabeth II. The category would have been better had it not been one big product placement commercial.

I made my comments on the wagering in my wild card thread. I think Herm Edwards would have told John "Forget winning, you play to advance to the semifinals". At least it didn't cost him a spot in the next round.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I forgot about Long being called Kingfish and said "big fish", thinking of the phrase "Big fish in a small pond". But I did get Exxon Mobil (after dismissing General Electric) and knew Bond was on and worked for Elizabeth II. The category would have been better had it not been one big product placement commercial.
I considered "big fish" but wasn't nearly sure enough; also it's two words, the clue specified one. I knew On Her Majesty's was a Bond film, but couldn't remember which one was Lazenby's, the player (the one on the right, I think) who first said "In Her Majesty's" made me realize that could be it.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Gigi Levangie Granger absolutely has to be one of the most undervalued top boxes ever. According to a quick Archive search, that name's NEVER come up before. And looking at her anemic Wikipedia article, I see no reason why anyone would know who she is.

Reflecting telescope was pretty tough at $200 too, IMO.

Business Is Good could've been a 5/5, but I managed to seriously muck it up. "Energy" had me thinking General Electric, then clammed on $600 through $1000. (I've honestly never been in a Gap store, and I have yet to find a pair of jeans that doesn't make me feel like C-3PO.)

Yeah, I've got nothing on FJ! Date didn't ring a bell, and "Glorious morning for America" led me nowhere. Even when Alex said the state was right, I had nothing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Gigi Levangie Granger absolutely has to be one of the most undervalued top boxes ever. According to a quick Archive search, that name's NEVER come up before. And looking at her anemic Wikipedia article, I see no reason why anyone would know who she is.
*nod* That category was mostly upside-down.

For FJ, I considered Lexington and Concord -- and very brefily West Quoddy Head, ME, where sunlight first hits our shores, but that's way too obscure -- and settled on Lexington, as I know that April 19th is the day of the Battle and Lexington comes first in the name of it. :)
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Gigi Levangie Granger absolutely has to be one of the most undervalued top boxes ever. According to a quick Archive search, that name's NEVER come up before. And looking at her anemic Wikipedia article, I see no reason why anyone would know who she is.
She's made at least one appearance on RuPaul's Drag Race, but otherwise I would have had no idea.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote: At least my guess of "Bunker Hill" in FJ was Revolutionary War themed. But, aside from the date, what was to lead one to Lexington? (For some reason I associated "morning" with "Bunker Hill", hence my answer. I knew the date wouldn't get me anywhere.)
I was thinking that this was a pretty cruel clue, because even if you knew the significance of April 19th, and knew exactly what took place then, that still leaves you with a choice between Lexington and Concord, because both battles took place on the same day. As mentioned by Econgator, they seem to always be called "The Battles of Lexington and Concord", never named in the reverse order, so I guess if you had to pick one, the "glorious morning" bit could lead you to think that Lexington was a morning battle, therefore it is always listed first. That is a bit of a tough path to take, but I suppose it makes sense.

I managed to come up with Lexington, and I am honestly not sure what made me go with that, rather than Concord. I think I decided that since it is always listed first it must have been more significant, but I don't think I actually knew for sure that both battles took place on the same day, so the morning part didn't really mean much to me. For a while I had absolutely no idea, and I almost went with Plymouth like John did, but "Glorious morning for America" eventually got me thinking about the Revolution, and the date rang a bell as maybe when one of the battles took place.

It occurs to me that I have no idea what date the Mayflower actually landed, which seems odd since the date that Columbus landed in the Americas is pretty commonly known. (Or at least the fact that it was in the second week of October, and oddly seems to fall on a Monday ever year.) Looking on Wikipedia, it seems that the Mayflower landed on November 21, 1620, though the Pilgrims considered the date to be November 11 due to using the Old Style calendar. Is anyone else familiar with this date? The 1620 part seems to be common knowledge, but for some reason even the fact that the ship landed in November seems to be pretty rarely mentioned.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote: At least my guess of "Bunker Hill" in FJ was Revolutionary War themed. But, aside from the date, what was to lead one to Lexington? (For some reason I associated "morning" with "Bunker Hill", hence my answer. I knew the date wouldn't get me anywhere.)
I was thinking that this was a pretty cruel clue, because even if you knew the significance of April 19th, and knew exactly what took place then, that still leaves you with a choice between Lexington and Concord, because both battles took place on the same day. As mentioned by Econgator, they seem to always be called "The Battles of Lexington and Concord", never named in the reverse order, so I guess if you had to pick one, the "glorious morning" bit could lead you to think that Lexington was a morning battle, therefore it is always listed first. That is a bit of a tough path to take, but I suppose it makes sense.

I managed to come up with Lexington, and I am honestly not sure what made me go with that, rather than Concord. I think I decided that since it is always listed first it must have been more significant, but I don't think I actually knew for sure that both battles took place on the same day, so the morning part didn't really mean much to me. For a while I had absolutely no idea, and I almost went with Plymouth like John did, but "Glorious morning for America" eventually got me thinking about the Revolution, and the date rang a bell as maybe when one of the battles took place
This was more or less my thought process during FJ. I knew it had to be Lexington or Concord, but had no idea what could lead me to one over the other. Lexington "felt" more right, so I went with it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Insta-coinflip on FJ: Lexington won over Concord, thankfully. Made sense since Lexington was first it'd be morning.

Only miss of the whole game was picking refracting over reflecting telescope. Oops.
7 clams in round one (including first three in double names, last 2 were easy- that category seemed flipped.) 9 clams in round 2.

14,400 round one, 38400 total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I knew November 1620 for the Mayflower. Couldn't have told you whether it was the 20th or the 11th. I am familiar with the plaque at P-town where they set in to get more beer or something.

So, April 19th gave me absolutely nothing. I didn't think revolutionary war because I didn't think that they had started misusing the word "America" that early.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

FJ kept me guessing at first. I mulled over Boston and Plymouth for a bit before moving to Lexington and Concord and settled on Lexington because, as others have said, it always gets mentioned first.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

bpmod wrote:I didn't think revolutionary war because I didn't think that they had started misusing the word "America" that early.
To be fair, in 1775 there was no "United States" so they didn't have too many other options when referring to this yet-to-be-formalized political union.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:
bpmod wrote:I didn't think revolutionary war because I didn't think that they had started misusing the word "America" that early.
To be fair, in 1775 there was no "United States" so they didn't have too many other options when referring to this yet-to-be-formalized political union.
That is true. But not all of America waged a war of independence from England / UK either.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
marpocky wrote:
That is true. But not all of America waged a war of independence from England / UK either.

Brian
Heck, not even all of what became the United States said bad things about our mom.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:not all of America waged a war of independence from England / UK either.

Brian
Heck, not even all of what became the United States said bad things about our mom.
Yes, I was trying to find words that implied that. Of course, I, personally, don't have any loyalty to "our mom" as you put it. I think Canada should separate once and for all, but I don't think a war is the way to do it.

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Wow, the Sony board has blown up over this FJ! The gist of the argument is that this FJ clue had no correct response as written, and it didn't even belong in the category U.S. Cities. Why, you ask? Because Lexington, Massachusetts is not a city; it is a town. (So is Concord, for that matter.) So even if the contestants suspected that Lexington may have been the correct answer, they could have known that it was not a city, and therefore instead written down the nearest major city, which would be Boston.

I may be wrong, but I think this might be something that only people in New England would notice, because the names of municipalities seem to be treated a bit differently there than in much of the rest of the country.