Thursday, November 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Thursday, November 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ElendilPickle »

I went with Concord. :::sigh::: I'm 0/4 for FJ so far this week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:Here in Ontario, there are distinctions between cities and towns, but not based on some predetermined definitions. There are minimum requirements (population being one) before a municipality can apply (to whom, I don't know) for town-ship (which is different from township-ship) or city-ship, but nothing says they have to apply when they meet those minimums.

But the weirdest thing about Ontario is our equivalent of what most people know as a county. Here we have cities named county (such has (the City of) Haldimand County, just south of Hamilton). We have Regional Municipalities, such as Niagara, immediately to the east of Hamilton. We have districts (mostly up north where no human (other than dhkendall) has ever set foot). And we have 'real' counties (although I can't name one off the top of my head). Some places are two-tier (meaning 4 levels of government) and others are one-tier (meaning three levels).
Reminds me of the FIVE YEARS of back-and-forth, circular discussion on Wikipedia regarding "Halifax, Nova Scotia" being a highly confusing disambiguation page. (At one point, it actually had both "This article should be merged to ____" and "This article should have content from ____ merged to it" maintenance tags.) Years and years of on-again, off-again discussion that went nowhere before it was finally fixed with a simple redirect that anyone who can use a keyboard could've done. And it must've been the right move, because no one's debated it.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

I've lived in NJ, CT and Il, and as far as I know, all have a definition of "city" based on articles of incorporation. I live in a city in IL that is smaller in population than the "town" I lived in in CT. I guessed Plymouth for FJ and did try to figure out if it was a city or a town.

Lots of easy categories tonight. Burst out laughing at the Exxon Valdez answer.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Reminds me of the FIVE YEARS of back-and-forth, circular discussion on Wikipedia regarding "Halifax, Nova Scotia" being a highly confusing disambiguation page. (At one point, it actually had both "This article should be merged to ____" and "This article should have content from ____ merged to it" maintenance tags.) Years and years of on-again, off-again discussion that went nowhere before it was finally fixed with a simple redirect that anyone who can use a keyboard could've done. And it must've been the right move, because no one's debated it.
What was the issue with Halifax?

Oh, and disregard everything I said in my previous post relating to any Ontario provinical government. We currently do not have one (and won't until January at the earliest).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:Similarly, I think we'd be pretty ticked off if a clue began, "A county in this state..." and they were going for "What is Louisiana?"
Perhaps, but the thing is, you'd pretty much have to word it that way because if you changed "county" to "parish", then you're giving away the answer, and it's not even the Stupid Answers category! "County" seems to include the parishes of Louisiana and the boroughs of Alaska by common use (just as "state" includes the "commonwealths" of Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts, since they are completely indistinguishable from the other 46 states (but very different from the "commonwealths" of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, since they are a different type of commonwealth).
pinkfreud wrote:There may appear to be a legion of outraged posters on the Sony board, but I suspect that there may be only one person behind the numerous usernames. It would be interesting to see the IP information.

I used to be a moderator on a large messageboard, and we frequently had flurries of new users who were actually one person. When registering a new identity is simple, hydra-headed posters tend to emerge to agree with themselves.
Well, part of the reason I love this board, and my biggest beef with the old Sony board (and looks like the same problem on the new Sony board, but I'm not a registered user there) is that this board has dedicated and hard-working moderators that do catch things like that, whereas the Sony moderators didn't do much. (And, btw, I came to this opinion of our moderators before I was asked to be one, needless to say I was quite honoured when the invite came. It was also an eye-opener, seeing "behind the curtain" as it were. :)

It was mentioned that this "outrage" is also carrying on on the Jeopardy! Facebook page (the very few times I've been there (less times than I've lurked at the new Sony board) it seems the makeup there is exactly the same as at the new Sony board), and it's very hard to create sock puppets to just agree with you on Facebook, so I'd say the "outrage" in both places is genuine. (Besides, after being a moderator myself for a while now, I'd like to say I've developed a keen eye for spotting socks, and my "sock sense" isn't tingling when I read the Sony discussions.)

BTW, visiting the website of the town of Lexington, its town government page speaks of the same things that marpocky mentioned (ie board of selectmen rather than a mayor and council), and "Town of Lexington" is all over the site, so I don't think "city" is the right term for it, but it does seem to be a catchall (like "county" including "boroughs" and "parishes" and "state" including "commonwealths" since the smaller terms are indistinguishable from the larger group). So, yes, they are technically correct [Number 1.0]"The best kind of correct!"[/Number 1.0], but Jeopardy! is not in the wrong for doing that.

Question still remains though is if the word "city" did actually lead a contestant astray, and the *only* way to solve that is to have the two contestants in question come here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:Oh, and disregard everything I said in my previous post relating to any Ontario provinical government. We currently do not have one (and won't until January at the earliest).
Want one? You can have ours!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:Oh, and disregard everything I said in my previous post relating to any Ontario provinical government. We currently do not have one (and won't until January at the earliest).
Want one? You can have ours!
I was gonna say anything's better than what we had... but come to think of it, nothing is just fine. Too bad everybody that was in office when Dalty-boy up and quit is still being paid. It would be nice if we at least saved some money to pay back Newfoundland* for all the support they've given us over the past 8 years or so.

*and others too, of course

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Reminds me of the FIVE YEARS of back-and-forth, circular discussion on Wikipedia regarding "Halifax, Nova Scotia" being a highly confusing disambiguation page. (At one point, it actually had both "This article should be merged to ____" and "This article should have content from ____ merged to it" maintenance tags.) Years and years of on-again, off-again discussion that went nowhere before it was finally fixed with a simple redirect that anyone who can use a keyboard could've done. And it must've been the right move, because no one's debated it.
What was the issue with Halifax?
That both "Halifax" and "Halifax, Nova Scotia" were disambiguation pages containing the same information, although the latter was a lot less clear about the odd permutations of Halifax's government. Read the talk page.
earendel

Post by earendel »

The "April 19" part of the FJ! clue led me to Lexington right away - didn't even give a single thought to Concord. I'll agree with the others who had no idea who Gigi Granger was. I felt sorry for the contestant who said "Exxon Valdez" rather than "Exxon Mobil".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Apparently in Alabama you need 2,000 people to be a city.

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/201 ... ther-city/
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

dhkendall wrote:Question still remains though is if the word "city" did actually lead a contestant astray, and the *only* way to solve that is to have the two contestants in question come here.
I have e-mailed all three of them to ask if they were confused about "city" vs. "town." I'll let you know if I hear anything.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

If they didn't mention "New England", I would have guessed Oklahoma City (my hometown---due to April 19,1995).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, I went with Plymouth (thinking about the date on the rock). Had no clue what the date of the battles was, and it sounded like a new beginning sort of thing. Oh well. As for people claiming that they could have known all of the facts that would lead them to Lexington but not answer Lexington because they know that's a town and not a city ... well, that's pretty ridiculous in my book. Just sayin'. (Oops, gotta be careful with those missing g's.)

And I just have to comment on the name "Francesca Leibowitz". I realize it is probably her married name, but it tickles me pink for some reason. At least her first name isn't Fawn.
Leander

Post by Leander »

As for people claiming that they could have known all of the facts that would lead them to Lexington but not answer Lexington because they know that's a town and not a city ... well, that's pretty ridiculous in my book
I'd agree, but I also think that using the term "city" in the category title would lead some people to think of, well, cities in New England, not small towns and would cause people to limit the scope of the possible answers they would consider.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Apparently in Alabama you need 2,000 people to be a city.

And on the other end, there's Hempstead, NY, a town of nearly 750,000 people (it would be the 16th largest city were it actually called a city).
BobF

Post by BobF »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Last I looked, most states have in definition laws for municipal levels.

Here in Jersey, of the 3 villages that exist, there are certain restrictions. The most hilarious one is no more than 25 traffic lights in your village.
Not a problem for Loch Arbour. :) (I grew up in the town where their kids went to high school and there aren't even 25 intersections in that village).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Apparently in Alabama you need 2,000 people to be a city.

And on the other end, there's Hempstead, NY, a town of nearly 750,000 people (it would be the 16th largest city were it actually called a city).
Yeah, there is a hierarchy in New York. I grew up in the Village of Lawrence which is in the Town of Hempstead which is in Nassau County. When I was growing up, the Town of Hempstead was more populous than something like seven states.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote:

For FJ, I considered Lexington and Concord -- and very brefily West Quoddy Head, ME, where sunlight first hits our shores, but that's way too obscure -- and settled on Lexington, as I know that April 19th is the day of the Battle and Lexington comes first in the name of it. :)
I thought I was so smart on this one. I remembered "...the 18th of April in '75; hardly a man is now alive who remembers that famous day and year...." and thought THAT was the date of the Battle of Lexington, with Concord the following day.

Boo, hiss. The 18th (Patriot's Day, until September 11 came to be called that) was the date of Paul Revere's ride, with BOTH Lexington and Concord the following day.

My guess of Concord was right war, right geographic area, right day, wrong reason, and (presumably) not the right city, since (again presumably) their city seal does not also have that date on it. Off by JUST THAT MUCH.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ElendilPickle wrote:I went with Concord. :::sigh::: I'm 0/4 for FJ so far this week.
You're the first one to favor Concord over Lexington! As those of us who made the right guess have reported, we didn't have any brilliant reasoning to break the tie between the two ... towns. What was your thought process in going with the other one?
adifferentguy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by adifferentguy »

pinkfreud wrote:There may appear to be a legion of outraged posters on the Sony board, but I suspect that there may be only one person behind the numerous usernames. It would be interesting to see the IP information.

I used to be a moderator on a large messageboard, and we frequently had flurries of new users who were actually one person. When registering a new identity is simple, hydra-headed posters tend to emerge to agree with themselves.
Oh, how right you are. And good looking too!