Monday, November 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6476, 2012-11-12

2012-B Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Brenton Montie, a sixth grade social studies teacher from South Lyon, Michigan
Marcia Edmundson, a high school French teacher from Chesterfield, Virginia
Tina Baybay-Bykov, an AP world history teacher from Orlando, Florida

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen and welcome. We start the week off with our fourth quarterfinal match. The winner today will come back later this week to play as a semifinalist, and if they get through that, will return one week from today to play for $100,000 in the first of two games in our Final. Tina, Marcia, and Benton--oh, Brenton, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories. First off, we're going to test your...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BODY LANGUAGE (4/5)
YOU'RE HISTORY! (5/5)
SITCOMEDY (4/5)
BRUSH UP YOUR SHAKESPEARE (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ORGANIZATIONS (5/5)
"P" IS FOR FASHION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marcia: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tina: 5 R, 0 W
Brenton: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marcia found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Tina had $200, Marcia had $1,800, and Brenton was at $1,400. Marcia wagered $500.

BRUSH UP YOUR SHAKESPEARE $600: It's the last word spoken by Richard III
(Marcia: What is adieu?)
(Alex: No. "A [*]! A [*]! My kingdom for a [*].")

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brenton: $1,400
Marcia: $1,300
Tina: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brenton Montie's students in Michigan. You are a 6th-grade social studies teacher, and I know that in order to help you in your knowledge of social affairs, you have tasted how many different kinds of beer?

Brenton: Over 1,500 different types.

Alex: Ah, that's the kind of knowledge I want you to impart to our young people out there.

Brenton: Well, brewing is really the reason why civilization came into existence.

Alex: Yeah. Okay. See? We learned something.

Alex: Marcia Edmundston from Chesterfield, Virginia. You have an interesting-sounding summer job.

Marcia: I do, Alex. Of course, a lot of us teachers have part-time jobs. Mine is a lot of fun. I am a walking ghost-tour guide in Richmond, Virginia. Where specifically in Richmond? We have three very historic, haunted neighborhoods. And we take folks around and teach them a little bit about--not teach them, but show them the history and tell them a little bit about the creepy things people have experienced.

Alex: Yeah. Now, has anyone ever seen a ghost there?

Marcia: Yes.

Alex: They have?

Marcia: Yes.

Alex: Okay. 'Nuff said.

Alex: Tina Baybay-Bykov from Orlando, Florida, was a professional ballet dancer for how many years?

Tina: For three years, but I am still performing. And my students come to see me perform in The Nutcracker every year.

Alex: And which role do you perform? Do you specialize in one?

Tina: No, I perform, uh, demi-soloist and core roles.

Alex: Okay. All right. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SITCOMEDY $1000: As Rev. Jim on "Taxi", this actor plays piano flawlessly, stops & says, "I must have had music lessons"

"P" IS FOR FASHION $200: Dr. Denton sleepers & (oo la la!) French maid sleepers are types of these

BRUSH UP YOUR SHAKESPEARE $400: It's the name of the father of the title prince of Denmark
(Brenton: Who is Laertes?)

BRUSH UP YOUR SHAKESPEARE $800: In "Henry V", he's the swaggering soldier named for a weapon
(Marcia: Who is Falstaff?)

BRUSH UP YOUR SHAKESPEARE $1000: Rosalind flees to the Forest of Arden in this play
(Brenton: What is Romeo and Juliet?)

BODY LANGUAGE $800: "In the ____ of Morpheus"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marcia: $5,100
Brenton: $3,400
Tina: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"MON" DAY (5/5)
TWO'S DAY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HUMP DAY (5/5)
THOR'S DAY (3/5)
FRY DAY (3/5)
WEAK END (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brenton: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Marcia: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Tina: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marcia snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Tina had $6,000, Marcia had $10,700, and Brenton was at $5,800. Marcia wagered $2,000.

TWO'S DAY $1600: 83, odd;
937, odd...
I guess 2 really is the only even one of these
(Marcia: My students are gonna laugh at that one 'cause they know me and numbers are not friends.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brenton who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Tina had $8,000, Marcia had $15,100, and Brenton was at $7,000. Brenton wagered $3,000.

WEAK END $1200: Slate called the last scene of this 2007 Oscar winner based on Cormac McCarthy's novel "a tacked on chunk of meaning"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FRY DAY $1600: A classic Passover breakfast is this dish, matzoh that's been soaked in water, dipped in egg & fried like French toast

FRY DAY $2000: This Pennsylvania Dutch pastry is named for what the batter is dripped through before it's fried

THOR'S DAY $1600: Brok & Sindri, members of this race, made many magic objects for Norse gods, including Thor's hammer

THOR'S DAY $2000: This was the name of Thor's hammer, which could return like a boomerang

TWO'S DAY $800: This numeration system that works with base 2, not 10, renders the number 2 to look like 10

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brenton: $17,200
Marcia: $15,100
Tina: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONAL SONGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Brenton: Wager $13,001 to cover Marcia. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $1,001.
Marcia: Try wagering $3,099, which is as much as you can put up against Brenton without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Tina.
Tina: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Marcia, but if Marcia decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
First publicly performed in 1745, this song sometimes has its pronouns changed

FINAL SCORES
Tina: $6,000 - $5,000 = $1,000 (What is G America) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Marcia: $15,100 + $5,000 = $20,100 (What is "God Save the Queen?") (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Brenton: $17,200 + $4,000 = $21,200 (What is God save the Queen) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brenton: $15,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Marcia: $15,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tina: $6,000, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Marcia: 21/60 = .350
Brenton: 19/59 = .322
Tina: 10/58 = .172
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ORGANIZATIONS $1000: There's a Comoros Islands-based association for the preservation of this fish, once thought extinct

FRY DAY $1200: These deep-fried Mexican treats are often coated with cinnamon & sugar

THOR'S DAY $400: Thor is an Old Norse word for this weather phenomenon
(Tina: What is lightning?)

"MON" DAY $2000: I'm a big rock fan, & here's a big rock that's classified as this kind of object

HUMP DAY $1600: Named for its odor, it lives farther north than any other hoofed animal

HUMP DAY $2000: The wild species of this 2-humped camel have smaller humps & less hair than their domesticated brethren
(Tina: What is the dromedary?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
horse
Christopher Lloyd
pajamas
Hamlet, Sr.
Pistol
As You Like It
arms
a prime number
No Country for Old Men
matzo brei
funnel cake
dwarves
Mjolnir
binary
"God Save The Queen" (or "King")
a coelacanth
churros
thunder
a monolith
the musk ox
the Bactrian camel

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 pm

National Songs
First publicly performed in 1745, this song sometimes has its pronouns changed.
SpoilerShow
What is God Save the Queen (or King)? Tina said America.
Brenton Montie: $17,200+$4,000=$21,200
Marcia Edmundson: $15,100+$5,000=$20,100
Tina Baybay-Bykov: $6,000-$5,000=$1,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Before anyone asks, yes, even the kids jumped up and down when they saw the FJ cat (meanwhile I was thinking "National *Songs*?? Not National *Anthems*??? Well, maybe I won't go "all in" with my imaginary FJ bet, but I'll still Clavin the hell out of it!") And, yes, was insta-get (had me at 1745, but really, thought the FJ was really easy, anyone else?) Also, technically, only "God Save the King" would be correct, as it wasn't "God Save the Queen" performed in 1745, but I have no qualms with GSTQ being accepted. (Plus, there's a little bit more than gender changes to the anthem, the penultimate line of the third verse is "To sing with heart and voice", after Lizzie's death, it'll be "With heart and voice to sing" (I guess because it rhymes with the next line's "king", though it doesn't explain the current configuration of the line, which doesn't rhyme with the next line or the preceding one and it isn't blatantly obvious). OK, enough nerding out.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:27 pm

dhkendall wrote:Before anyone asks, yes, even the kids jumped up and down when they saw the FJ cat (meanwhile I was thinking "National *Songs*?? Not National *Anthems*???
Wikipedia says it is the de facto British national anthem, so I guess it isn't official. I guess if they'd called the category "National Anthems", there would have been a meltdown on the Sony Board from people who didn't go with that song because they knew it wasn't actually the anthem. I guess they learned their lesson from Thursday and changed the category name at the last minute.

It was pretty much an instaget for me, though I had no real idea about the date. I actually wrote down "What is God Save the Queen/King", just to cover all the bases.

My wagering comments were in the wild card thread.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Clue order seemed out of whack in the J! round $400-$800 on Organizations seemed way easier than Doctors Without Borders (NHOI) at $200. Likewise, Pantyhose and Polyester seemed the easiest by far on "P" Fashion, and William Penn the easiest by far on History.

Tough Shakespeare category is tough. Usually I can get at least a couple right in the Shakespeare categories because of Pavlovs and/or stuff I've seen before, but this seemed to require a lot more in-depth knowledge of his works than most Shakespeare categories.

Considering "Two" was in the category, the BMS on "two turtledoves" seemed unnecessary.

I usually do well in animal categories, but I just wasn't making the connections on the first three in Hump Day. Drew a blank on bison, never really thought of moose as being a type of deer, and flip-flopped on ant vs. bee when spotted "social insect".

Blah blah blah pronoun — gotta be God Save the King/Queen. I love it when I instaget in a category where my knowledge is very limited.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:40 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:"P" Fashion
That reminds me, anyone else thought the category name should have been "P"hashion? ;)
TenPoundHammer wrote: flip-flopped on ant vs. bee when spotted "social insect".
I would think a lizard, an animal not known for flying, would have to strict to ground-based animals for its diet.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:22 pm

The two clues that stood out for me as "I have no earthly idea what this word is" were this one and this one.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm

ouch on the last clue- Tina's miss/ Brenton's rebound really changed the overall dynamic of wagering. (Although Tina's sole miss made it academic.)
14,400/ 25,600/ 40,000 total today. Best yet since I started using the toy.
SMInstaget on FJ.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Considering "Two" was in the category, the BMS on "two turtledoves" seemed unnecessary.
This. I was trying to figure out if Alex thought maybe he'd heard the answer wrong and was assessing his "call."
Alex: "How many?"
Me: "Oh, let me check the category. Appears to be TWO, Alex."

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm

ChemTeacher wrote:The two clues that stood out for me as "I have no earthly idea what this word is" were this one and this one.
Mjölnir was a headslap-after-the-fact (ie I was familiar with it, and knew it was right), but no way on earth I would have called it as an answer.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree. I am surprised that turtle dove was not enough, but two turtle doves was.

And I guess it is best after all to stay with a response that you absolutely know cannot be correct. I immediately said God Save The King, but then started thinking really really hard to come up with something else, as the last time I checked, 'king' and 'queen' were not pronouns, but nouns. Am I mistaken?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 pm

bpmod wrote:Two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree. I am surprised that turtle dove was not enough, but two turtle doves was.

And I guess it is best after all to stay with a response that you absolutely know cannot be correct. I immediately said God Save The King, but then started thinking really really hard to come up with something else, as the last time I checked, 'king' and 'queen' were not pronouns, but nouns. Am I mistaken?

Brian
Well, the "king" and "queen" are another part of the song that are changed depending on the gender of the monarch (along with the "To sing with heart and voice" / "With heart and voice to sing" part), but there are pronouns changed as well. For example "send her victorious" / "send him victorious" as one example.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 pm

dhkendall wrote:Also, technically, only "God Save the King" would be correct, as it wasn't "God Save the Queen" performed in 1745, but I have no qualms with GSTQ being accepted.
In my opinion, they absolutely had to accept it. The clue referred to both versions as "this song". Once they stipulated that either version is the same song, they have to accept either title. It doesn't matter that the King version of "this song" was the one sung in 1745 and the response gave the title of "this song" as we currently think of it.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Ugggh! Weak End seemed liked it would be a great category as soon as I realized it was movies. Planet of the Apes (the remake)? Absolutely fits. My problem was blurting out The Road instead of No Country for Old Men. 2007 should have been enough to prevent the error.

The players had a predictable error with dromedary for bactrian as I expected it as soon as Hump Day was revealed. I'm surprised the writers didn't really give it to the players and ask for that tree as well as the hammer. Norse Spelling - that would be a category.

Yay for Al Bundy: 5:20 mark

For the FJ clue I needed a bit of thinking time to get past the USA and France. "God Save the King" went on the paper once I made it to right place. That nice of Alex to confirm what we would have known anyway that both titles were acceptable.

The show has done it before but I'm still not used to these 4th quarterfinals on Mondays. Down to nine tomorrow.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm

dhkendall wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:The two clues that stood out for me as "I have no earthly idea what this word is" were this one and this one.
Mjölnir was a headslap-after-the-fact (ie I was familiar with it, and knew it was right), but no way on earth I would have called it as an answer.
Mjolnir was a pre-call here.

I do need to break the habit of saying ko-e-la-canth.

God Save the King/Queen was an instant.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Clue order seemed out of whack in the J! round $400-$800 on Organizations seemed way easier than Doctors Without Borders (NHOI) at $200. Likewise, Pantyhose and Polyester seemed the easiest by far on "P" Fashion, and William Penn the easiest by far on History.

Tough Shakespeare category is tough. Usually I can get at least a couple right in the Shakespeare categories because of Pavlovs and/or stuff I've seen before, but this seemed to require a lot more in-depth knowledge of his works than most Shakespeare categories.

Considering "Two" was in the category, the BMS on "two turtledoves" seemed unnecessary.

I usually do well in animal categories, but I just wasn't making the connections on the first three in Hump Day. Drew a blank on bison, never really thought of moose as being a type of deer, and flip-flopped on ant vs. bee when spotted "social insect".

Blah blah blah pronoun — gotta be God Save the King/Queen. I love it when I instaget in a category where my knowledge is very limited.
I felt Peter the Great was the easiest, as it's always out.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am

bpmod wrote:Two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree. I am surprised that turtle dove was not enough, but two turtle doves was.
Would "Two turtlenecks and a beer (in a tree)" would have been acceptable?

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Take off, hoser.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:
I actually said that out loud before my brain caught up to my mouth.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 am

Would "Two Cutty Sarks" be acceptable?

Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent