Thursday, November 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Re: Thursday, November 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ChemTeacher »

Dr. J wrote:So I drew a long oblong shape extending from the intersection of food and drink downward. As I was finishing it (in glorious red marker on a whiteboard), I realized I had drawn a huge set of
Okay, now it's my turn. Welcome to science class, everyone. Let's talk about positive and negative charges, shall we?

Enjoy!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Leander wrote:I know I was surprised no one recognized William F Buckley Jr.
I recognized him but said George Will. Maybe if Alex had done an impersonation...
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Leander wrote:I know I was surprised no one recognized William F Buckley Jr.
I recognized him from this. Dr. J, send me a punny calendar!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex was right. There will be a woman in the finals. Kate is getting better on the buzzer so we'll see what she can do in a third game.

I behaved myself on the buzzer tonight with no ring-in errors. The problem was going 1/3 on the DDs. Alex helped me figure out Twain, but I couldn't do it with the clue alone. Holy Roman Empire was not going to happen.

Six sports clues with the Positions and Griffey Jr. in Varsity had mixed results for the players, but not a total disaster. I laughed at the forward clue because I was certain someone would ring in to guess center.

The writers did well to make the intimidating Samurai category very accessible. I never would have guessed that would be the run for me in the DJ round. Rhine boundary and Goyte title kept me at four for the other categories that were pretty good.

Math Men had me write three precalls with Euclid, Pythagoras and Newton. I saw the year in the clue and biff/bam/boom I had to start from scratch. A math guy from 1880? I got nothing. Who was around that time? Einstein? Too early. I reread the clue and tried picturing what was being described. Oh, okay! What are those called? Zenn diagram. That's it. No, wait. Not Zen. Fenn? No, that doesn't sound right either. Venn diagram. It took 19.5 seconds longer than most of you, but I had plenty of time to write four letters (John? no way) and relax.

Nice triple solve by the players.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: The writers did well to make the intimidating Samurai category very accessible.
And yet, no references to Samurai Jack or Usagi Yojimbo. I am disappoint.

Also, katana was super overvalued. I didn't guess it because I figured no way would it be at $2000.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lisa0012 wrote:Poll question: Did anyone who got FJ! right actually know his first name? Or anything else he accomplished?

*raises hand* I actually knew the first name and was hoping they'd ask for that. haha :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I swear, they add new sports positions every week. If there are only 9 men on a baseball team, why are there like, 40 positions?
Because there are sports besides baseball?

I spent the commercial break trying to remember Alan Turing's name. I kept pulling up Linus Pauling instead, but finally I thought of the Turing test. Once I had that, my precalls, as Mark's, went Newton, Pythagoras, Euclid. Then the clue came up and I realized I had to think of a fifth eponym. As with Turing, I had to think of the name of the thing to think of the name of the man, but that worked itself out quickly enough.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If they had taken Kate's realign to begin with, she may well have had a lock going into FJ. Luckily, it didn't matter.

Lot's of Lach Trash for me tonight, but Venn never came to me, ending my perfect run through the tournament's FJs.

I got Twain, but throwing him in after two philosophers was a bit unfair.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I swear, they add new sports positions every week. If there are only 9 men on a baseball team, why are there like, 40 positions?
Because there are sports besides baseball?
My point is — why does it seem like every time they bring up sports positions, there always seems to be one or two I've never heard of before? How many freaking positions are there in these games now?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:If they had taken Kate's realign to begin with, she may well have had a lock going into FJ.
No, probably not. She'd likely just have bet less on that last DD.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My point is — why does it seem like every time they bring up sports positions, there always seems to be one or two I've never heard of before? How many freaking positions are there in these games now?
It's not really that they've added positions, it's that they've added unofficial terms like "closer" for a late-inning relief pitcher. I suppose it's not technically a position, but it's how sportscasters refer to them, so it's become part of the terminology of the sport. Pitcher is still the position, but there are now "starters," "middle relievers," "closers," and in the case of Detroit's own Jose Valverde, "choke artists." ;)
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:If they had taken Kate's realign to begin with, she may well have had a lock going into FJ.

Brian
Perhaps we should ask 'he whose name cannot be spoken' ?
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

billy pilgrim wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Actually, I thought of that when I made that remark. When I watched the game, I was shouting "go for the lock!", but she seemed to be uninterested in putting the game away. So, that is why I suggested that, having more money, (contrary to what mm-mm-mm says) she might have wagered less. Not more. Not the same amount.

But it's all speculation. I don't even know if she stopped to do the math before wagering.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I've never heard of jubilee and anniversary being synonymous before.
Obviously not Canadian (or British) as you would have heard of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this year, celebrating 60 years on the throne.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Boundary was an 0/5.
Did you even guess on the first one? (I know, stupid question). Little free tip: There are 12 South American countries (independent ones)*, the clue listed 3, so you have a one in nine chance of getting that one right.

*The least of any continent. Africa's 54 (?) is the most.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: The writers did well to make the intimidating Samurai category very accessible.
And yet, no references to Samurai Jack or Usagi Yojimbo. I am disappoint.
You were expecting these in the Smithsonian? Just because Archie Bunker's chair and Fonzie's jacket is ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:So Kate gets the last DD with thee scores:
Kate: 15800
Marion: 9,600
Marcia: 6400
She seemed to like the category-- I wonder if it might've been worth it to "go for the win" there and wager enough to cover Marion's max possible Final score which at that point would be 19,200. A wager of, say, 3500 gives her a guaranteed victory, depending on what happens on the final clue. And if she misses, she's still ahead. Her 2,000 didn't see to do anything.

Good coryat for me-- 14400/29200 43600 overall.
If she bets $3,500, she could still lose the lock if Marion gets the last clue. But she was still assured of leading going into FJ even if she lost $3,500 and Marion gets the last clue. On the other hand, Kate could still get a lock if she got the last clue after gaining $2,000 on the DD.

It is impossible to say if Marion getting the extra $1,600 could have cost Kate the lock. How would Marion have bet on the Twain DD if she had less money? Would Kate have for certain continued on in the category if she had control after realign or would she have gone a differant way and maybe the DDs are found at different times.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Interesting that they used Ozzie Guillen and Andy Bernard from The Office in the "Same Position" category. I sympathize with the players in that it was hard to see Guillen named and not instantly respond with Shortstop, but I was able to catch myself in time. Since the taping of this game, presumably, Guillen was fired by the Marlins on October 23, and Dunder Mifflin changed managers so many times last season, that at the time of taping, it was probably an even money bet that neither of the men named in that clue would still hold their managerial position by the time the show aired.

Since we're naming our FJ pre-calls, I had Pythagoras, Euclid, Descartes, Fibonacci, Archimedes, and maybe one more name that escapes me at the moment. I don't know that I had ever for one moment in my life considered that the Venn diagram was named after a person named Venn, but the wording of the clue made it a pretty easy connection to make.

Very well played game by all 3 ladies tonight. Kate took the momentum given to her by the ruling reversal right after the first DD was found in DJ, and she never looked back. All 3 made solid FJ wagers too, giving each a chance to win depending on how the clue turned out.

Strange that they put 3 women in today's game with 3 gentlemen left for tomorrow. I've just about given up in trying to make any sense of how they determine the SF matchups, but I thought a 1/2 or 2/1 male to female ratio was always one of their main goals.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:I don't know that I had ever for one moment in my life considered that the Venn diagram was named after a person named Venn, but the wording of the clue made it a pretty easy connection to make.
Ditto.

I precalled Blaise Pascal in addition to Euclid and Descartes. I knew I should have been able to come up with a few other names, but as it turned out, it didn't matter.

Brian

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:Strange that they put 3 women in today's game with 3 gentlemen left for tomorrow. I've just about given up in trying to make any sense of how they determine the SF matchups, but I thought a 1/2 or 2/1 male to female ratio was always one of their main goals.
They like to have a woman in the finals. The only way to guarantee that is to put three of them into one semi.
Sage on the Hudson

Gone with the Venn

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Paucle wrote:I was just talking about a Venn diagram the other day. While watching Guadalcanal Diary , they showed a GI using binoculars to scope out ships offshore, and the P.O.V. was a round circle. Took me a second to realize it. "Hey!" I said to my brother. "Go back!" so he did and I said, "That doesn't look like a Venn diagram!" He asked if my meds needed tweaking.
Seriously, why are almost all binocular PsOV in movies defective? Can anyone think of any other films that get it right?
That's POV's (yes, "point" is the word that's made plural if written out, but abbreviations are treated like a single word -- no one speaking or writing of baseball says "R'sBI"). And if the fields of vision of each binocular were meant to overlap into a singular circular field of vision, there would be no point in using them over a telescope. The whole purpose of binoculars is to provide a wider field of vision at a given magnification than a telescope can.

Though such shots in movies are usually done as a special effect, one would think that a film's cinematographer would point out this obvious fact to the director and spfx dept.

billy pilgrim wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
You should actually ask him whose name cannot be spoken if you want to stay on the right side of the grammatical tracks.

Also, some more Venn-erable logos:

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

ACW wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Poll question: Did anyone who got FJ! right actually know his first name? Or anything else he accomplished?
Nope. Still an instaget.
There are some people like that. Bunches of people know exactly one thing about the guy, nothing else. Usually that's the one thing J! will ask.

I never heard of the guy, never thought about whether the diagrams were actually named after someone. But seeing this clue, it was pretty obvious. Instaget.
Last edited by John Boy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.