Friday, November 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6480, 2012-11-16

2012-B Teachers Tournament semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Colby Burnett, a high school world history teacher from Chicago, Illinois
Brenton Montie, a sixth grade social studies teacher from South Lyon, Michigan
Drew Joanides, a high school history teacher from Miami, Florida

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. As Johnny mentioned, this is the third and last of our semifinal matches. The winner today will come back on Monday and Tuesday to play for $100,000. Colby, Brenton, and drew, welcome back. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Here are your categories for this first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ACT I (4/5)
REALITY TV (4/5)
IN THE "MM"IDDLE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Notice the double M's. There will be two M's in exactly the middle of each correct response.)
PHYSICISTS (3/3)
BOOZY TALK (5/5)
IT'S A TOUGH JOB (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 13 R (including 3 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Brenton: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Drew: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Colby: $3,200
Brenton: $1,600
Drew: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Colby Burnett is a high school world history teacher at Fenwick High--

Colby: You're right.

Alex: --in Chicago, Illinois. Now, it's not easy being a teacher. You have to make the subject relevant to your students. But I understand you have an interesting way of doing that with regard to supply and demand.

Colby: Yeah, so, I explain supply and demand and margin of utility using an entire pizza. So, I go up, and I ask this, you know, big, burly football player, like, "Okay, if I gave you a pizza and you could eat the entire thing, you'd want it, right?" "Sure." It's like, "Now, what if I had--what if I gave you another one and you had to eat it in the same amount of time. Like, you wouldn't want it. Like, I couldn't even give it to you because the supply has increased so much and your demand has gone so down that this price has just gone worthless for you."

Alex Yeah, but I have a feeling that that big, burly football player would say, "Give me both pizzas."

[Laughter]

Alex: Brenton Montie is from south lyon, Michigan. He is our sixth-grade social-studies teacher at centennial middle school.

Brenton: Mm-hm.

Alex: And you deal with younger kids.

Brenton: Yes.

Alex: And younger kids are fascinated by different things--among them, your moustache and your little goatee.

Brenton: Yes, yes. The last few years, not so much this year so far--they've been into the bow ties this year. But last year and the year before--moustache. They're just obsessed with it, asking what it's name is, wearing fake moustaches, drawing me pictures of it, but it's a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Drew Joanides from Miami, Florida--high-school history teacher at Miami Sunset Senior High School. And that's your alma mater, is it?

Drew: That's my alma mater, yes. I graduated from there 22 years ago.

Alex: So, you're back home. Do you feel comfortable? Have they expanded the school, or is it exactly the way it was with the same old desks and the same unpainted walls, what?

Drew: Some things have changed, and some have stayed the same.

Alex: Okay. I'll leave it right there.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Drew was in the hole with -$200, Brenton had $600, and Colby was at $4,000. Colby made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

IN THE "MM"IDDLE $800: Incendiary or provocative; arousing anger
(Alex: You have the most money. How much are you gonna risk of that $4,000?)
(Colby: I'm gonna Roger Craig this--bet it all.)
(Alex: All right.)
[Laughter]
[Colby sighs]
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Colby: I have no idea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACT I $1000: From Act I of this 1913 play: "I aint done nothing wrong by speaking to the gentleman. Ive a right to sell flowers"
(Drew: What is My Fair Lady?)
(Alex: You selected the musical that was based on the 1913 play called [*] by George Bernard Shaw.)

REALITY TV $1000: (The Mythbusters deliver the clue.) One test required disabling the safety devices that keep these 2 measurements from getting too high; your water heater can indeed make that skylight you never wanted. Myth confirmed.

IN THE "MM"IDDLE $600: In the House of Representatives, this group on aviation is under a larger group on transportation
(Colby: What's a committee?)

IT'S A TOUGH JOB $600: Climbing spurs are useful to these people who fix the transmission wires of phone & power companies

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brenton: $2,800
Colby: $1,800
Drew: -$1,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RELIGION (5/5)
BAYS & GULFS (3/5)
MOVIE TERMS (3/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ART APPRECIATION (1/2)
17th CENTURY WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Brenton: 8 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Drew: 3 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Drew was in the hole with -$400, Brenton had $3,200, and Colby was at $3,400. Drew wagered $2,000.

AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: In 1638 he organized the first Baptist Church in America in Providence, Rhode Island

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brenton who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Drew had no money, Brenton had $5,200, and Colby was at $10,600. Brenton wagered $2,500.

17th CENTURY WORDS $1200: Meaning one who flees home or seeks asylym, it was first applied to Hugenots who fled France

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE TERMS $1200: This type of transition between a series of film shots is often used to suggest the passage of time
(Brenton: What is a fade?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Brenton: A Fade-in or fade-out?)
(Drew: What is a fade-out?)

MOVIE TERMS $2000: D/N stands for this 3-word type of shot in which sunlight masquerades as moonlight

BAYS & GULFS $800: This Canadian gulf is connected to the Atlantic by the Straits of Cabot & Belle Isle
(Drew: What is Hudson Bay?)
(Brenton: What is the Gulf of Bafnia?)

BAYS & GULFS $2000: Vladivostok lies on Peter the Great Bay, an inlet of this "national" sea
(Alex: National because it is [*].)

17th CENTURY WORDS $800: In Newton's day this word was first used to mean the band of colors produced when light passes through a prism
(Brenton: What is a rainbow?)

ART APPRECIATION $2000: The Sleeping Gypsy seen here is an 1897 painting by this French primative artist
(Colby: Who is Matisse?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Colby: $13,800
Brenton: $7,300
Drew: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Colby: Wager $801 to cover Brenton.
Brenton: You have the hope of surpassing Colby if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $7,300.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1890 piece was named for a Verlaine poem that begins, "Your soul is as a moonlit landscape fair"

FINAL SCORES
Brenton: $7,300 - $7,298 = $2 (What is the moonlight sonata) (2nd place: $10,000)
Colby: $13,800 + $901 = $14,701 (What Clair de Lune) (Finalist)
(Alex: The musical piece is by DeBussey and it has the same title as the poem.
[revealing Colby's repsonse]
He seemed happy and excited when I mentioned DeBussey because he wrote down [*], the correct response.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Colby: $17,800, 23 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Brenton: $6,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 7 W
Drew: -$400, 4 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $23,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Colby: 24/59 = .407
Brenton: 17/59 = .288
Drew: 4/59 = .068
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
REALITY TV $600: Since its premiere in 2005, over 200 addicts have been confronted by family & friends & offered help on this A&E series
(Brenton: What is Celebrity Intervention?)

BOOZY TALK $1000: De website for dis company says "a diamond is forever"
(Brenton: What is Zales?)

PHYSICISTS $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an atomic explosion photo and an atomic diagram on the monitor.) Leading to the development of the atomic bomb, an atom of this element was famously split by Otto Hahn in 1938
(Colby: What's hydrogen?)

IT'S A TOUGH JOB $1000: Roughnecking is tough, especially working on a semisubmersible one of these like the Deepwater Nautilus
(Drew: What is a submarine?)

AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: A recent drought recalls the 1930s, when part of the Great Plains turned into this, seen in Ken Burns's new film of that name
(Alex: And that show airs this Sunday on PBS.)

RELIGION $800: More than 80% of Muslims follow this branch of Islam
(Brenton: What is Sufi?)

RELIGION $1200: The Pater Noster is the Latin name for this
(Brenton: Who is the Pope?)
(Alex: [*]--the Lord's Prayer--yes.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
inflammatory
Pygmalion
temperature and pressure
subcommittee
linemen
Roger Williams
refugees
a dissolve
day-for-night
the Gulf of St. Lawrence
the Sea of Japan
a spectrum
Henri Rousseau
Claire de Lune
Intervention
De Beers
uranium
a drilling platform
The Dustbowl
Sunni
Our Father

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Classical Music
This 1890 piece was named for a Verlaine poem that begins, "Your soul is as a moonlit landscape fair."

SpoilerShow
What is Clair de Lune? Brenton said the Moonlight Sonata.

Colby Burnett: $13,800+$901=$14,701...Automatic Finalist
Brenton Montie: $7,300-$7,298=$2
Drew Joanides: $0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Today "Roger Craig" became a verb :D

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm

nothing against the other two contestants, but I'm rooting for CHemTeacher Michael!

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:13 pm

VERY happy with my get on FJ; knew it was too late for "Moonlight Sonata," so I tried to think what else was classical with "moon" in the title. "Claire de lune" hit me with plenty of time to spare.

MM killed me- shut out, though 200 and 1000 were gettable for me once I heard them. (Well, they all were, but those I felt I should've dredged up.)
I was perfect before the commercial break (8200) but only 4400 after that, then another 20000 in DJ, for a 32600 total.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:24 pm

lisa0012 wrote:Today "Roger Craig" became a verb :D
I laughed to hear Colby do that on the show, after I did it in a thread here about a week ago.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

He's insufferable. I'll be rooting for Kate or the other guy. Easy FJs all week!

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Didn't get to see the game tonight because once again, it being Friday, my Boston affiliate pre-empts "Jeopardy!" in order to promote some sort of American sporting past time called "Foot Ball" or something similar.

However, I did see the FJ in today's New York Times, and fell flat on the lunar service. A grim week; missed the last three FJs. Maybe the cold weather up here in N.H. is slowing down my brain cells or something.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Johnblue wrote:He's insufferable. I'll be rooting for Kate or the other guy. Easy FJs all week!
Not only do I strongly disagree with you, but what the hell kind of comment is this to make?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks Alex. Speedreading the clue to get to "gentleman" had me trying to remember which Williams play had the gentleman caller. By the time Alex got to his accent I was able to switch gears to good old Pygmalion.

Colby and Brenton had a duel not just on the scoreboard, but for asides and fun with the game. Brenton doing Trump's cobra was funny. The calling of the In the "MM"iddle category was playful. There were a couple of others I can't recall.

The writers can be irritating. Reality TV was going along great until they had to throw in some kind of science clue asking for temperature and pressure. Don't make me think. Just ask for another mindless show that I may or may not watch faithfully.

Discussion on other threads gave us some laughs with "Uncertainty" and "hummus" appearing tonight.

The beep for time's up at the end of the J! round was jarring since I had not heard it for a while. I knew it was coming in the DJ round before all in Art would be displayed.

I caught myself just in time with a response of "rainbcspectrum". That's half an "o" in there.

For the FJ clue I went 50%. I guessed wrong on the spelling with "Clare de Lune" but anticipated a guess of "Moonlight Sonata."

Sometimes we have yell stumpers. Tonight there was laugh stumper with Bothnia guessed for the body of water in Canada.

The combined Coryat of 23400 was ugly. Drew was dead in the water before a clue was revealed. When you have first pick and go to Reality TV that's a sign of trouble to come. I love the category and was happy to see all the clues even if I didn't like the last one. A player starting there though signals to me that they might not find enough to their liking.

I'm hopeful Colby doesn't lose wagering nerve just because he released the Craig-in on his DD in the first round. We'll have to see what happens if he finds another DD. TPTB split up Colby and Michael for the semis but they will be reunited for the finals. No one has been able to make Colby trail entering FJ yet. Third time's the charm? We'll see.

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm

lisa0012 wrote:Today "Roger Craig" became a verb :D
I remember sitting in the audience during the practice game and yelling things like "Bet it all! True Daily Double! Roger Craig!" Hey, the points didn't matter at that point. It was a fun way to release the tension, have fun, and support the team.

So when I heard Colby say he was actually going to "Roger Craig it" in his SF game, I thought to myself, "Wow, he must be really feeling confident right now." And I had no doubt that he was capable of pulling his score back up.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 pm

So is "Roger Craig" our new shorthand for setting your score back to $0? It could be named in honor of Roger Craig losing 46 games for the New York Mets in their inaugural seasons of 1961-62. (Can you have two inaugural seasons? Sure, why not? The first one was so bad they decided to start from scratch.) Or maybe named in honor of Roger Craig's Giants being swept by Oakland in the 1989 World Series? I believe those two Roger Craigs may in fact be the same person, unlike the two Joe Morgans. Though I always gave Roger a pass for that World Series loss, since in addition to managing the Giants, he was also busy helping the 49ers to their 3rd Super Bowl victory during his career. Winning both championships would have been a pretty impressive feat had he been able to pull it off.

After going 7-for-7 on FJs to start this tournament, the reveal of Classical Music as the category was an ominous sign for my chances at a 5-for-5 week. The clue was actually not entirely unsolvable for me, as I thought of Debussy pretty quickly, seeming to recall that he had some sort of association with the moon in the title of one of his works. I quickly thought of Moonlight Sonata, had no idea as to the composer or time period, but figured it seemed like a reasonable guess. Then I realized that the word "moonlit" was in the clue, so "Moonlight" being half of the response seemed pretty unlikely. I had it half written, then crossed it out, then hastily scrawled it out in full just as time expired. I was fairly certain that it was incorrect, but I had nothing else to go with. When Brenton's response was revealed I got hopeful for just a moment, but I'm guessing maybe he was led astray just as I was by the presence of "moonlit" in the clue.

Kebert Xela
Contributor

Post by Kebert Xela » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:18 pm

marpocky wrote:
Johnblue wrote:He's insufferable. I'll be rooting for Kate or the other guy. Easy FJs all week!
Not only do I strongly disagree with you, but what the hell kind of comment is this to make?
Yea, wth is wrong with you haha? Colby's confidence is refreshing. It's nice to see someone go out there and show some passion for the game.
Anyone think they would accept "heat" instead of "temperature" for the Mythbusters clue? I'm leaning towards no...

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Kebert Xela wrote:Anyone think they would accept "heat" instead of "temperature" for the Mythbusters clue?
I remember watching that clue from the audience and thinking, "Wow, look at that water heater shoot through the roof! (big pause) Um...WHAT were they asking for in this clue again? I forgot!" I would have preferred to see the explosion and THEN listen to Adam and/or Jamie give the clue.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:29 am

I couldn't decide between "Clair de Lune" and "Au Clair de la Lune" (the latter being the start of the French poem), but I'm counting it as a get (even though the latter wouldn't have been accepted). I missed FJ in the first QF, and have gotten the rest since then, which is nice.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:44 am

Kebert Xela wrote:
marpocky wrote:
Yea, wth is wrong with you haha? Colby's confidence is refreshing. It's nice to see someone go out there and show some passion for the game.
Anyone think they would accept "heat" instead of "temperature" for the Mythbusters clue? I'm leaning towards no...
Well, heat is a quantity measured by temperature, so it should be accepted. Pressure, which was accepted, is also a quantity rather than a measurement.

Edit: The personal attack on Colby is unnecessary. His mannerisms may be off-putting, but given his background, I suspect there is also a fair amount of gamesmanship in them. The best response, and the most entertaining, was Brenton's -- match him quirk for quirk and let's see who is left standing.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 am

seaborgium wrote:I couldn't decide between "Clair de Lune" and "Au Clair de la Lune" (the latter being the start of the French poem), but I'm counting it as a get (even though the latter wouldn't have been accepted). I missed FJ in the first QF, and have gotten the rest since then, which is nice.
Since they asked for the piece of music itself, I'd say only "Clair de Lune" would be acceptable.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Paucle wrote:VERY happy with my get on FJ; knew it was too late for "Moonlight Sonata," so I tried to think what else was classical with "moon" in the title. "Claire de lune" hit me with plenty of time to spare.

MM killed me- shut out, though 200 and 1000 were gettable for me once I heard them. (Well, they all were, but those I felt I should've dredged up.)
I was perfect before the commercial break (8200) but only 4400 after that, then another 20000 in DJ, for a 32600 total.
I was salivating when I saw this FJ topic. Then when I saw the clue my first thought was Moonlight Sonata. Kinda a Pavlovian thing, I think. Took me a second or two to remember the date was about 70 years too late for Beethoven, and I also came up with Clair de Lune with plenty of time.

Congrats to Colby and his counterparts to advancing to the finals.

(And who was it who thought the Gulf of Bothnia was in Canada? That was an odd miss.)

BobF

Post by BobF » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Dang it, Jeff stole my joke! But it was 1962 (24 losses) and 1963 (22 losses).

Amazingly, just 3 years earlier, he finished 13th in the MVP voting after throwing 4 shutouts. And baseball reference.com ranks him the 745th best pitcher of all-time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ro01.shtml
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!