Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6483, 2012-11-21

Paul Nelson game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Dan Sims, a case manager from Little Rock, Arkansas
Morgan Kruse, an economics research analyst from Irvine, California
Paul Nelson, a Senate staff aide originally from Iowa City, Iowa (whose 3-day cash winnings total $45,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome back to our regular series of Jeopardy! games. You know, one of the special things about that Teachers Tournament that just ended is that--and I hope this is true of you also--it helped bring back memories of some special teachers in my young life, people like Kenneth Gardner and James Gillespie. Well, enough nostalgia. Paul, good to have you back with us. Morgan and Dan, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round, which today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GENERAL PRACTICE (4/5)
1-LETTER STOCK SYMBOLS (3/5) (Alex: We're talking about the New York Stock Exchange here.)
POETRY TERMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANAGRAMS (0/0)
IT'S A TRAP! (5/5)
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Paul: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Dan: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W
Morgan: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Paul: $800
Morgan: $0
Dan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Quite often on our program, I get a little confused, and that happened on that 1-Letter Stock Symbols. I said "T, dot, dot." It was "dash, dash." But they shouldn't have been there. It should've been a comma, and that confused you, I think, too. So we're going to give you back the money you lost on that, Dan. So that was $800. You're back to $0. You're not in the red. Okay. Dan Sims, folks, is from Little Rock, Arkansas. He's a case manager who was the victim of a prank. I will assume this happened in school. You took a nap and woke up... with a very odd haircut--

Dan: Very, very odd. It was my sophomore year of college. I lived in an honors house, which was never short of pranks and different things going on. And I took a nap. I think I was watching some TV program and fell asleep in the lounge, and woke up, and I had nine very distinct chunks all over my head. Yeah. I mean, I'm like, "Oh, no. I have to go to class in a minute." So I had to find, like, a skull cap--it was the spring--and run across campus to my friend's room, where he had hair clippers, so we could get it all off before I had to go out into the public.

Alex: If you never want anything like that to happen again, learn to be a light sleeper.

Dan: Oh, yes. [Laughs]

Alex: Morgan Kruse, from Irvine, California. We often hear from contestants on our program about the interesting ways in which they were proposed to, and yours sounds like kind of fun.

Morgan: Yeah. I'm a really big fan of crossword puzzles, and so my now-husband got one of The New York Times crossword-puzzle writers to make a crossword puzzle that looked like it was just printed out from The New York Times. There were a bunch of clues that had things to do with us, but across the middle was, "Will you marry me?" So, I liked it.

Alex: [Chuckles] I'm sure you did. You're together, aren't you?

Morgan: Yes. Yeah.

Alex: Okay, it worked.

Alex: Paul Nelson, Senate staff aide who has volunteered for what weekend training?

Paul: An ROTC training exercise out in the field.

Alex: Do you have to be in shape to do that?

Paul: No. I mean, I'm here, so...

Alex: Oh, okay. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Paul found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Paul had $3,000, Morgan was scoreless, and Dan was at $1,000. Paul wagered $1,500.

POETRY TERMS $800: A haiku traditionally deals with this; a senryu takes an ironic look at human this
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Paul.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $1000: (Hi. I'm Jane Kaczmarek.) I sometimes need a hankie watching the love of Warren Beatty & Natalie Wood hit every kind of obstacle in this 1961 film
(Dan: What is Love Story?)
(Alex: And by the way, all of those celebrities participated in our Celebrity Jeopardy! tournament at one time or another.)

1-LETTER STOCK SYMBOLS $800: T--
give them a jingle
(Dan: What is T-Mobile?)
[Dan was originally ruled incorrect, but because Alex read "--" as "dot, dot", and because the clue had dashes instead of a comma, Dan was given back the value of the clue after the first commercial break due to possible confusion.]

1-LETTER STOCK SYMBOLS $1000: X,
a company no longer part of USX
(Morgan: What is Xerox?)

GENERAL PRACTICE $1000: The most common spot for taking someone's pulse is above this artery in the wrist
(Alex: Right next to the radius, [*].)

POETRY TERMS $1000: This line of 12 syllables is likely named for a "great" Macedonian
(Dan: What's an alexander?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Paul: $5,300
Dan: $400
Morgan: $0

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GENERAL PRACTICE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: The first category in Double Jeopardy! sounds a lot--sounds exactly like the first round--but with a twist...)
PLANETARY MATTERS? (3/5) (Alex: I'm not sure.)
ODD WORDS (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"THE" TV SHOW (5/5)
THAT IS THE QUESTION (5/5)
BALTIMORE (1/2) (Alex: ...where we have a new home--WBFF, Fox45.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Morgan: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Paul: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Paul had $4,100, Morgan had $4,000, and Dan was at $4,800. Dan wagered $1,500.

GENERAL PRACTICE $1200: Though unpopular with the President for his cautiousness, this Union general was once known as "Young Napoleon"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Paul who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Paul had $6,500, Morgan had $4,000, and Dan was at $5,500. Paul wagered $2,000.

ODD WORDS $1600: A tonsorialist is one who does this
(Paul: What is... bicycle?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GENERAL PRACTICE $2000: This outspoken U.S. general is proving his views here, holding a piece of a battleship sunk by air power
(Paul: Who is Pershing?)

PLANETARY MATTERS? $2000: In mythology, he's dad to the Cyclopes as well as the Titans
(Dan: Who is Saturn?)
(Morgan: Who is Jupiter?)

PLANETARY MATTERS? $800: This festival of sports, art & more has been held annually in Virginia Beach, Virginia since 1974
(Alex: About a minute to go now, Paul.)

BALTIMORE $1600: This offbeat Baltimorean film director has his fan mail sent to Atomic Books & sometimes stops by

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $5,500
Paul: $4,500
Morgan: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dan: Wager $3,501 to cover Paul.
Paul: You ought to wager to cover Morgan, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $4,500. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $4,300 (to shut out Morgan) or less than $2,500 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Morgan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dan.
Morgan: You ought to try wagering between $101 and $2,400. This will top a $0 wager by Paul while still beating Dan and Paul on the Triple Stumper (should Dan wager to cover Paul's doubled score and Paul wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1900 the first La Scala performance of this opera was conducted by the man whose last name began with the opera's title

FINAL SCORES
Morgan: $4,400 - $1,101 = $3,299 (What is Cosi fan tutti) (2nd place: $2,000)
Paul: $4,500 - $1,000 = $3,500 (What is Don Giovanni?) (4-day champion: $48,900)
Dan: $5,500 - $4,500 = $1,000 (What is Beggars?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: The correct response is [*]. The conductor was Arturo Toscanini.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Paul: $5,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Dan: $5,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Morgan: $4,400, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $15,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 15/59 = .254
Paul: 15/60 = .250
Morgan: 10/58 = .172
Team: 40/63 = .635

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $200: (Hi. I'm Neil Patrick Harris.) Hitchcock's genius is that he makes us voyeurs, like Jimmy Stewart & Grace Kelly in this 1954 thriller

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $400: (Hi. I'm Cheech Marin, and...) You can't help feeling the exuberance of the Beatles in this, their first movie

IT'S A TRAP! $800: Debuting in 1900, the Grand American is an event in this sport prizing accuracy
(Dan: What is archery?)
(Morgan: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Morgan: Uh, what is--)
(Alex: No, we'll accept that, according to the judges. Trap[*], to be very specific.)

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $600: (Hi. I'm Isaac Mizrahi.) Like a lot of others, I loved the story of a paraplegic ex-Marine finding a new life on the distant planet of Pandora in this 2009 film

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $800: (Hi. I'm Robin Quivers.) I love watching "The Godfather", which earned supporting actor Oscar nominations for Al Pacino, James Caan & this man who played consigliere Tom Hagen
(Morgan: Who is De Niro?)

GENERAL PRACTICE $600: That vision problem might be a cataract, clouding this part of the eye
(Dan: What's the cornea?)

POETRY TERMS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew displays some poetry on the monitor.) By marking the stressed & unstressed syllables in a line, we're engaging in scansion, the analysis of this rhythmic element in a poem

"THE" TV SHOW $400: In 2010 "Top Chef" broke this CBS program's 7-year Emmy-winning streak for best reality competition show
(Paul: What is Survivor?)

GENERAL PRACTICE $1600: In 1944 this brilliant tactician told Hitler it was futile to continue the war; later that year he committed suicide
(Paul: Who is Goebbels?)

THAT IS THE QUESTION $2000: Abe Lincoln, when accused of deceitfulness: "If I had another" one of these, "do you think I'd wear this one?"
(Dan: What is a top hat?)

THAT IS THE QUESTION $800: Four-word caption of the 1870s engraving seen here

PLANETARY MATTERS? $1200: It's also called a night crawler
(Morgan: What is a worm?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Morgan: What is a wormhole?)

PLANETARY MATTERS? $400: She won Wimbledon singles titles in 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 & 2008
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
nature
Splendor in the Grass
AT&T
U.S. Steel
the radial artery
an alexandrine
McClellan
cut[s] hair
Billy Mitchell
Uranus
the Neptune Festival
John Waters
Tosca
Rear Window
A Hard Day's Night
shooting
(Robert) Duvall
the lens
the meter
The Amazing Race
(Erwin) Rommel
a face
"Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"
an earthworm
Venus Williams

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Opera
In 1900 the first La Scala performance of this opera was conducted by the man whose last name began with the opera's title.
SpoilerShow
What is Tosca? (conducted by Toscanini) Morgan said Cosi Fan Tutti; Paul said Don Giovanni; Dan said Beggars (thinking of The Beggar's Opera, perhaps.

Dan Sims: $5,500-$4,500=$1,000
Paul Nelson: $4,500-$1,000=$3,500...now a 4-day champion with $48,900
Morgan Kruse: $4,400-$1,101=$3,299
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Is it just me, or was this one of those very weird games? From the "Alex steering a contestant (and me) in the wrong direction with a clue misreading" to the low scoring game (and my low Coryat), to an entire category being unrevealed (when was the last time *that* happened? I'd guess less than half a dozen times since about season 4), this game just seemed really weird.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I grew up in Baltimore (and still live close). My tape date was a week too late!
Twitter: @jfrumkin

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Sluggish game is sluggish. Yay for leaving a whole category on the board. (Dhkendall — Didn't that happen earlier this season?)

Oh, so that's what that song about sailing to the Milky Way is called. That's by Train? The same Train who gave us the God-awful "Drive By" and guilty pleasure "Hey, Soul Sister"? I dunno why, but I always associated "Drops of Jupiter" with the emo girls in my HS classes who drew catgirls on their binders and read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

Earthworm may be the most embarrassing miss I've made since Doritos. ("Um, a worm named for a planet? Does such a thing exist? Jupiter worm? Mars worm?")

View and Chew do not rhyme. Not even close.

I couldn't make sense of Trap for $1000. The clue's wording was so bizarre that I couldn't tell what it was asking for. An "event horizon black hole"? Anyone wanna explain that to me?

I'm surprised that of all things, The Cleveland Show was my only get in "The" TV. Been getting back into the Cartoon Network fold, so I was kind of hoping The Amazing World of Gumball would come up to triple-stump them.

Not even a guess on FJ! At least I've actually heard of Tosca and Toscanini.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 pm

The only reason I got FJ was this DD question from 5/13/10

ARE YOU AN -INI? $2,000 (Daily Double): His last name begins with the 5-letter title of a Puccini opera he conducted

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm

dhkendall wrote:Is it just me, or was this one of those very weird games? From the "Alex steering a contestant (and me) in the wrong direction with a clue misreading" to the low scoring game (and my low Coryat), to an entire category being unrevealed (when was the last time *that* happened? I'd guess less than half a dozen times since about season 4), this game just seemed really weird.
Starting with Mr. Trebek's hair. I was so distracted I don't know what he said at the beginning.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Once I understood just what the FJ clue was saying, I got it right away. Was Paul actively stalling? I'm not sure why he would, considering he wasn't winning for most of the game, but his pace seemed intentional to me. With 4 wins, where does that put him on the ToC standings? (Off to check that thread...)

I'm pretty sure that Morgan was there on my last tape day as the CA contestant, and I was waiting for her to show up! She is a lovely person and I was rooting for her; she almost got there.

tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Does anyone remember the wording for the clue about the father of the Cyclopes? I was only paying half-attention, but shouted out "Poseidon" because I remembered Poseidon vowing revenge against Odysseus for blinding Polyphemus in THE ODYSSEY. Was there more information in the clue to rule out this response, or am I mistaken entirely?

Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

With four wins & 48,900, Paul moves into ninth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.

Did anyone catch what Paul said while he was looking into the camera after he had been announced the winner?

I would not have given the third contestant his money back after he had been "misled." But then, I am a mean, old man.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:View and Chew do not rhyme. Not even close.
Again, accents are always tricky, I have no problem with them rhyming. I guess maybe the accent they use to judge rhymes (like the fact they have a version to arbitrate Bible clues) is the Standard American one. (Oh, and this rhyming dictionary says they do rhyme. So nanny nanny boo boo.)

And, yeah, forgot about my thoughts on FJ. Figured that Toscanini was the premiere conductor of the time, but was having a brain fart (either that or the bad cold I've been battling today) and couldn't think of an opera to match the first part of his name ("Tosca" does ring a bell, but it isn't the first opera I usually think of.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 pm

tmwaters89 wrote:Does anyone remember the wording for the clue about the father of the Cyclopes? I was only paying half-attention, but shouted out "Poseidon" because I remembered Poseidon vowing revenge against Odysseus for blinding Polyphemus in THE ODYSSEY. Was there more information in the clue to rule out this response, or am I mistaken entirely?
I don't remember the wording either, but I'm sure this was in the "Planetary" response, and Poseidon is not a planet.

tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

dhkendall wrote:
tmwaters89 wrote:Does anyone remember the wording for the clue about the father of the Cyclopes? I was only paying half-attention, but shouted out "Poseidon" because I remembered Poseidon vowing revenge against Odysseus for blinding Polyphemus in THE ODYSSEY. Was there more information in the clue to rule out this response, or am I mistaken entirely?
I don't remember the wording either, but I'm sure this was in the "Planetary" response, and Poseidon is not a planet.
You're right, but Uranus was ruled correct, I believe, and Poseidon corresponds to Neptune--not Uranus. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The J-archive has obviously not yet posted tonight's game so I can't double-check the wording of the clue.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm

dhkendall wrote:Is it just me, or was this one of those very weird games? From the "Alex steering a contestant (and me) in the wrong direction with a clue misreading" to the low scoring game (and my low Coryat), to an entire category being unrevealed (when was the last time *that* happened? I'd guess less than half a dozen times since about season 4), this game just seemed really weird.
You and me both. I thought maybe it was because I was watching the game after spending three hours driving, but I found this to be a distracting, grim and joyless game. Lots of strange categories, odd answers (Goebels instead of Rommel? Really?) and very very low scores (and I was told during my appearance(s) that Alex supposedly *hates* low-scoring games.) Plus a ton of clues left on the board.

Felt bad for Dan during FJ. He had a rough time out of it coming out of the gate, but was in the lead at the end, when The Dreaded Opera Category came up. If I had been in his place, having seen that Category come up would have turned my bowels to ice... and I would have bet zero dollars. If he had done the same, he would have won... but that's why it's called a game show, eh?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:13 pm

PLANETARY MATTERS?
IN MYTHOLOGY, HE'S DAD TO THE CYCLOPES AS WELL AS THE TITANS.

emccullough
Valued Contributor

Post by emccullough » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 pm

According to the Wikipedia entry on Cyclops, Hesiod has their father as Uranus and Homer has their father as Poseidon: "The connection between the two groups has been debated in antiquity and by modern scholars."

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 pm

BADuBois wrote:Felt bad for Dan during FJ. He had a rough time out of it coming out of the gate, but was in the lead at the end, when The Dreaded Opera Category came up. If I had been in his place, having seen that Category come up would have turned my bowels to ice... and I would have bet zero dollars. If he had done the same, he would have won... but that's why it's called a game show, eh?
While I know more about opera than some people (and, apparently, many J! contestants since the category is always referred to with the epithet "the dreaded" in front of it like it was the Pirate Roberts or something) I probably would have bet zero too, silence a) it was an FJ!, so it would be a hard opera question, most likely beyond my ken (turned out to be true), and b) the other contestants will probably not like it either and miss. My eight year old watching said that Dan would win,merely based on the fact that he was ahead going into Final, but I reminded him that he could always get it wrong and not know how much to bet. Thank you, Jeopardy!< for proving me right to my son. :)

tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 pm

emccullough wrote:According to the Wikipedia entry on Cyclops, Hesiod has their father as Uranus and Homer has their father as Poseidon: "The connection between the two groups has been debated in antiquity and by modern scholars."
Thank you for the information, as everything I know about mythology I learned from Edith Hamilton. In this case, I can see that the "Father of the Titans" portion of the clue would force Uranus to be the only acceptable answer.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm

So, Trap for $1000. Anyone wanna explain that disjointed clue to me?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent